Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [SkippiTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stalkan is correct. Tony's reach is limited by UCI regulations to 75cm without an exemption, or 80cm with an exemption. In his case, his saddle is sufficiently behind his bottom bracket to allow for him to take the reach exemption, but it still isn't enough. We have women who are 5'2" who take the reach exemption. In fact, virtually every pro takes the reach exemption. In the end, we need more reach; the UCI will give us 10 degrees of seat angle (who needs that?), but no more reach. Drives me crazy.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our club nationals, here in NZ, are run under UCI rules (at least for the past 5 years) and the 75/80cm reach rule catches people out every year. Guys hacking off their extensions, cutting down the levers on their shimano shifters, removing shifters entirely, tilting/rotating bars, adjusting seats frantically just before their TT start times.

I just don't understand why the rules are so tight just to prevent the outlaw positions.
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim, how do you figure Brad Wiggins and Taylor Phinney get around the reach restriction? They both look fairly "laid out" and not at all cramped like Tony Martin does.

Jim@EROsports wrote:
Stalkan is correct. Tony's reach is limited by UCI regulations to 75cm without an exemption, or 80cm with an exemption. In his case, his saddle is sufficiently behind his bottom bracket to allow for him to take the reach exemption, but it still isn't enough. We have women who are 5'2" who take the reach exemption. In fact, virtually every pro takes the reach exemption. In the end, we need more reach; the UCI will give us 10 degrees of seat angle (who needs that?), but no more reach. Drives me crazy.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
Jim, how do you figure Brad Wiggins and Taylor Phinney get around the reach restriction? They both look fairly "laid out" and not at all cramped like Tony Martin does.

Jim@EROsports wrote:

If you're 190cm or taller you get 85cm of reach. It's a bit ridiculous to have the cut off at a fixed number like that though.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim@EROsports wrote:
Tony's reach is limited by UCI regulations to 75cm without an exemption, or 80cm with an exemption. In his case, his saddle is sufficiently behind his bottom bracket to allow for him to take the reach exemption, but it still isn't enough.

I blame today's mfr's and yesterday's enthusiasm with seat tube angles and the amour de low. At 1.83m tall and on one of my TT bikes, I can get ~90 cm reach and be completely UCI legal without an exemption...but, I don't have any skin in this game, so YMMV.

=================
Kraig Willett
http://www.biketechreview.com - check out our reduced report pricing
=================
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [SkippiTT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't look within the 10 cm window for the pad-tip of extension difference rule to me. I wonder how they figure it is UCI legal?
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BikeTechReview wrote:

I blame today's mfr's and yesterday's enthusiasm with seat tube angles and the amour de low. At 1.83m tall and on one of my TT bikes, I can get ~90 cm reach and be completely UCI legal without an exemption...but, I don't have any skin in this game, so YMMV.

Do you mean that you don't get any more aero if you stretch past the UCI reach limit? My experience: I don't know any elite TTer whose CdA doesn't continue improving until they take at least one UCI exemption.

And, yes, we make darned sure there's no saddle-hopping.

AndyF
bike geek
Last edited by: AndyF: Jan 13, 16 3:07
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Mr Faded Glory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It probably depends what the measurement points are. I recall a picture of the UCI rules where it's stated that all measurements are taken from the front of the pads. But perhpas somebody knows it for sure?
And it probably also looks more (due to his rlbows being lower still) than it really is.
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
BikeTechReview wrote:

Do you mean that you don't get any more aero if you stretch past the UCI reach limit? My experience: I don't know any elite TTer whose CdA doesn't continue improving until they take at least one UCI exemption.

There is no rule to hold the measurment point at the end of the extension with the hands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkippiTT wrote:
It probably depends what the measurement points are. I recall a picture of the UCI rules where it's stated that all measurements are taken from the front of the pads. But perhpas somebody knows it for sure?
And it probably also looks more (due to his rlbows being lower still) than it really is.

The armpad drop measurement is taken from the lowest point of the top of the armpads.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
BikeTechReview wrote:

I'm saying I can get ~90cm reach and be UCI legal without an exemption on one of my TT bikes. If you can find me a low cxa frame manufactured in the last several years with which I can achieve the same setup, I'd be interested.

=================
Kraig Willett
=================
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [BikeTechReview] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BikeTechReview wrote:
I'm saying I can get ~90cm reach and be UCI legal without an exemption on one of my TT bikes. If you can find me a low cxa frame manufactured in the last several years with which I can achieve the same setup, I'd be interested.

I apologise, I may not be following the thread carefully enough. Just to be sure... you do mean, reach, as in BB centre to tip of extensions?

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha, not that I race TTs with marshals, but I'm exactly 1.9m tall. good to know.

where do they measure from?

Needless to say, as a BOP triathlete, when I did my fit w/ Jim@ERO the UCI rules were not at all a consideration.

bjorn wrote:
ericM40-44 wrote:

Jim@EROsports wrote:

If you're 190cm or taller you get 85cm of reach. It's a bit ridiculous to have the cut off at a fixed number like that though.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Needless to say, as a BOP triathlete

So much win.
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
Quote:
Needless to say, as a BOP triathlete

So much win.

=)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
haha, not that I race TTs with marshals, but I'm exactly 1.9m tall. good to know.

where do they measure from?

Needless to say, as a BOP triathlete, when I did my fit w/ Jim@ERO the UCI rules were not at all a consideration.

Like any height measurement I imagine. Not sure how that whole process works practically though.. I'm 189 with a longish torso and long arms so I'm f*cked. I stopped doing TT's because of how they measure reach to the shifters now when I don't get the 85cm of reach.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndyF wrote:
BikeTechReview wrote:

I apologise, I may not be following the thread carefully enough. Just to be sure... you do mean, reach, as in BB centre to tip of extensions?

From a CxA perspective, if I was trying to easily quantify how stretched out a rider was, I would use terms like reach and drop...and I wouldn't define reach as the UCI conforming dimension. I can get ~90cm of reach and still conform to UCI regs without an exemption on one of my TT bikes - and I'm only 1.83m tall with about 8-10cm of drop. I don't think folks should blame the UCI for not being able to stretch themselves/their riders out - they should blame today's mfrs and yesterday's idea of "rotating around the BB" which fueled a disease of "lowness". If you are only 7cm behind the BB with a normal saddle at a saddle height of 80-85cm and you play by UCI rules, you should be saying WTF to your bike sponsor.

getting back on track here..."High hands" where the center of rotation is not the elbow, is just another way of modifying the point in space of the elbow vertically and axially within the UCI rules (i.e, this rotation effects how stretched out/low the elbow is)...so why wouldn't one explore it?

IME, if you control for elbow position vertically/axially, cxa doesn't change much - just for fun check out this vid I did moons ago:

http://www.biketechreview.com/images/the_shrug.wmv

you can do all sorts of crap with your hands/forearm angle, but if your elbow doesn't move much vertically/axially, how low/stretched out your torso is doesn't change much.

=================
Kraig Willett
=================
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So from the back edge then?
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Mr Faded Glory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
on the recommendation to add reach--are we talking about moving the pads further out or just the extensions? or both?
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested in these as well... what did you pay?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those with a fixed position on the extensions, these extensions from Zipp should give you enough rise in the hands:

Zipp Vuka Alumina 110

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
those are great! Here's what I use: USE Tula 50* extensions.

Sweeney wrote:
For those with a fixed position on the extensions, these extensions from Zipp should give you enough rise in the hands:

Zipp Vuka Alumina 110

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went to get fit for an IA16 and I brought the extensions for the original CarbonX. They give 13 cm of rise. The old extensions are going on the new bike.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [ccassidy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ccassidy wrote:
BMANX wrote:
Do you have any pictures you can share?

I think it would be great for Nick to produce some wedge shaped parts that could be used and maybe do them at 10 degrees.

Here is what I did. I ride TT's and have a Shiv TT bike. I use the 3T ski bend extensions. I tested last year at A2 and at Carson and both times a higher hand position produced a lower CdA. Zipp RTC shifters also helped raise my hands. But as many have said, the higher hand position means an angled forearm and that left either the point of my elbow resting in the arm rest or just the back edge of the arm rest supporting my forearm depending on how I could position the arm rests.
Ideally I wanted the arm rests to be angled at the same angle of my forearms so that that my forearms would be supported by the full length of the arm rests. I tried to get a couple of local CNC and 3-D Print shops in town to make me some angled spacers but either they were not interested or wanted too much $.
So I contacted Fibre Lyte in the UK and they were able make these aero wedge spacers at a very reasonable price. I had them make them with a 10 degree angle. They fit right below the arm rests and above the aero bars so the arm rests are now at a 10 degree angle and fully support my forearms. Much more comfortable!

http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/...icycleintropage.html

OK, so i'm looking at this and i don't understand how this works. are you using everyting stock? bars, spacers etc? I guess i'm missing the holes where the pads attach. can you possibly post some more pictures of how it all goes together? I have a SHIV TT as well and i'd love to angle my pads up.
Thanks!

Street by street, block by block!
Quote Reply
Re: Might Be Old News, But: ERO Sports Insights on Aerobar Angle. [Skinnyxvgn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread, and the ERO post was really helpful. I just had a professional fit done on my (relatively new) P5-6 and wanted to try the angled arm position. We swapped out the standard extensions for Profile T4s that were inserted backwards. Using spacers, we angled the pad holders up, not quite identical in slope to the extensions, but enough that you can really feel the support you. We added reach, and moved me to a bit more slack angle than I was before. Only two rides in, but this position is incredibly comfortable. The angled arms really do allow you to lean into the bars, supporting the rest of your position and allowing for a more relaxed upper body.

Per this thread, I am ordering angled risers from Fibre Lyte. One thing I am going to add are some rubber washers between the bolt head and the armpad cup. They hit at an angle and I would like some thing there to deform and absorb a bit of the stress.

Quote Reply

Prev Next