Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
dopers vs course cutters
Quote | Reply
to me, doping is less offensive than course cutting. Why? Because to dope and to win (your AG or whatever), you still need a certain level of fitness. I doubt that a couch potato or a beginner athlete can take EPO and suddenly outrun/outswim/outbike the top age groupers. But if you cut the course, you can be a total superstar with zero work. Dopers and course cutters are both delusional in that they have to justify their dark ways, but at least dopers do the whole freaking course and can say, "well, I just took this little boost drug to be the best that I can be". Course cutters do no work and LIE about it. So course cutters are bigger liars.

I am NOT justifying dopers, but I feel like the worst offense is course cutting, followed by doping and drafting.

[moderator's edit: i deleted a sentence out of your post, instead of deleting your whole post. if you want to make a general statement, which you do above, no problem. let's just keep individuals out of it, either named or insinuated.]
Last edited by: Slowman: Sep 3, 15 18:17
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [IronLady] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a special place in hell for course cutters, dopers still get into heaven, via purgatory of course.. (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree. Course cutters will be caught since they cannot back of their performance.
Dopers will most likely not be caught, and even if they are using doping, especially testosterone/steroids the effect will last for years.
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
There is a special place in hell for course cutters, dopers still get into heaven, via purgatory of course.. (-;

Not the way I have it

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=5080332#5080332

Purgatory is merely a Penalty Box, Hell is the ETERNAL DQ

But it IS a work in progress [notice that "People Who Make up Charity Scams" is a recent addition], and Roger Goodell may have just distinguished himself from the "Commissioner" Umbrella into Al Davis territory

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
I disagree. Course cutters will be caught since they cannot back of their performance.
Dopers will most likely not be caught, and even if they are using doping, especially testosterone/steroids the effect will last for years.

Depends on where you're looking

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few BOP newbie runners in their local 5Ks who are just GASSED and say "I'm beat ... I know a shortcut"

In fact, a 10K i've been doing annually for a few years, offers just that opportunity

http://www.usatf.org/.../view.asp?rID=403101

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm fine with doping if you're playing with the big boys but not if you're ag
Last edited by: eggplantOG: Sep 3, 15 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess you are saying that because you are an ag-er and big boys dope doesn't affect you. But a big boy would equally be pissed at a doper if he/she looses a big time paycheck, endorsements, chances to be on the podium etc because of a doper. Canadian Dylan Armstrong lost bronze in shot put in Beijing due to a, I think, Russian doper. He got his medal years later when the Russian was busted but he probably lost big buck for being 4th instead of 3rd.
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [softrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
99.9% chance they're all juiced to the gills. I see pro athletes as victims, they need to do it to go 7 50. It's either you've been caught or you know how to cycle a stack imo just look at the positive tests it's always for nandralone or something long acting only noobs are getting caught. the difference is that an ag doesn't need to do it to play
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shoot the course cutters when they cut the course. Shoot the dopers when they cross the line.

2 birds, 1 stone (2 cheaters in 1 race)

to me, they are dangerously the same. Both are premeditated cheats, trying to defraud the rest of us of our just desserts. At least the doper (may) suffer health consequences down the track.....Lyle Alzedo?

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 99.9% sure that at the very least a significant minority of pro athletes are clean. Maybe if you're looking at World and Olympic finalists in an event like the 100m then you might be 90-something percent, but not triathletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still at a loss as to how course cutting is still possible, given electronic timing at most races, and that probably 80% of athletes are wearing some sort of GPS tracking.

------------------------------------------
http://www.twhatley.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's to say that course cutters don't dope too?

That's the thing about dopers - the overwhelming majority of them don't get caught.

Cheating is cheating. Neither deserve any respect.

IronLady wrote:
to me, doping is less offensive than course cutting. Why? Because to dope and to win (your AG or whatever), you still need a certain level of fitness. I doubt that a couch potato or a beginner athlete can take EPO and suddenly outrun/outswim/outbike the top age groupers. But if you cut the course, you can be a total superstar with zero work. Dopers and course cutters are both delusional in that they have to justify their dark ways, but at least dopers do the whole freaking course and can say, "well, I just took this little boost drug to be the best that I can be". Course cutters do no work and LIE about it. So course cutters are bigger liars.

I am NOT justifying dopers, but I feel like the worst offense is course cutting, followed by doping and drafting.

[moderator's edit: i deleted a sentence out of your post, instead of deleting your whole post. if you want to make a general statement, which you do above, no problem. let's just keep individuals out of it, either named or insinuated.]

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
99.9% chance they're all juiced to the gills. I see pro athletes as victims, they need to do it to go 7 50. It's either you've been caught or you know how to cycle a stack imo just look at the positive tests it's always for nandralone or something long acting only noobs are getting caught. the difference is that an ag doesn't need to do it to play

No real way to know imho. I am always amazed at people who are flat out saying that they think that all the pros dope. How can you stay in the sport when you are that disillusioned?
I'd rather run the chance of being a little naive and believe that there is at least a majority (including Hawaii champions) that doesn't use prohibited substances.

How about a frontpage poll:
Quote:
Which percentage of top IM-Pros do you personally believe is using prohibited substances (according to the WADA code) to achieve their performances:
  • 100%,
  • >75%,
  • >50%,
  • >25%,
  • >10%,
  • 0-10% (We know it's not 0.0%)

I'd personally be in the >10% (<=25%) camp. With many grey area cases with dodgy TUEs. But again: No real way to know (Based on the reasoned assumption that tests can be beat)

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Last edited by: flogazo: Sep 4, 15 2:06
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a more interesting analysis would be the % of pros that dope compared to the % of ag Kona qualifiers that dope. If it's anything like cycling you'd see a % of ag or local amateurs competing at a high level that would surprise you.
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [Whatleytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatleytom wrote:
I'm still at a loss as to how course cutting is still possible, given electronic timing at most races, and that probably 80% of athletes are wearing some sort of GPS tracking.

Recent occurrences seem to suggest cheaters 'lose' their timing chip at some point of the race, and seem to wear watches without gps functionality.
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

How about a frontpage poll:
Quote:
Which percentage of top IM-Pros do you personally believe is using prohibited substances (according to the WADA code) to achieve their performances:
  • 100%,
  • >75%,
  • >50%,
  • >25%,
  • >10%,
  • 0-10% (We know it's not 0.0%)

I'd say > 10% for all participants.
> 25% for the podium.

That is my wishful conservative estimate which implies that the podium can be clean.

#######
My Blog
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [sub-3-dad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers are far,far worse than course cutters, bib switchers, etc. Course cutters are "amateur" cheats at best. They usually have a short term goal and think of the easiest solution to achieve that goal. No real effort involved, just some planning and execution. They are not risking life and limb.

Dopers however, they are the "professional" cheats. They are in it for the long haul. They are already doped to the gills with legal supplements. They have tried everything over the counter, from GNC, etc. trying to get that edge. They already have so many chemicals going in and out of their bodies. They are doped to the gill gear wise as well. Always have to have the latest bike, wheels, etc in order to have that edge. They are no different than the common crack or meth addict, just no rotting teeth or favors for drugs. They are the ones meeting their "dealer" in a back alley or anti aging clinic and buying illegal substances. They are the ones sticking themselves with a needle every day. Got to have that fix. It doesn't matter what it is doing to their body. Their whole life is a lie and they will do anything to hide that fact and conceal it.
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [Whatleytom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whatleytom wrote:

The big races seem to have that covered; mats at the farthest point on each lap etc but smaller events are still catching up. A Half I did the other week only took splits as you passed near the finish on the bike & run on each lap. On the run course there was a point during the 3 laps where a 30m hop through woods would have cut well over half a mile off.

Obviously I didn't bother, as a sub 1:15 Half Marathon might have looked suspect :-)

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if you magically lose your chip - the mats don't matter to you. Looks like you only get DQ'd if someone kicks up a fuss ?
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Course cutters are much worse. My problem with course cutting besides the obvious of it being cheating is that the person cutting the course could inadvertently cause other individuals to do the same either by accident or on purpose. When someone dopes they do it most likely on their own in the secrecy of their homes but course cutters just promote cheating on the course. It takes away the integrity of the distance and the accomplishments.

A problem with some local races is by the time the results can be really analyzed the cheater is long gone with a potential podium picture for Facebook, trophy and fake bragging rights. And then the cheater just plays stupid and nothing comes of it.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right!
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cartsman wrote:
I'm 99.9% sure that at the very least a significant minority of pro athletes are clean. Maybe if you're looking at World and Olympic finalists in an event like the 100m then you might be 90-something percent, but not triathletes.

I've read this a few times, and I have no idea what you're trying to say. I suspect I agree with you, but honestly I have no clue, especially re your first sentence.

You should be in politics or marketing! ;)
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [BumbleBrian20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're going to cut the course - go big I say....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/athletics/london-marathon/10780357/London-Marathon-fresh-cheating-claims-against-miracle-runner.html
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [BumbleBrian20] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A problem with some local races is by the time the results can be really analyzed the cheater is long gone with a potential podium picture for Facebook, trophy and fake bragging rights. And then the cheater just plays stupid and nothing comes of it.

So here's another question - do you think the incidence of cheaters in the amateur ranks has increased since the creation of social media? Go back 20 years, and does anyone really care about your age group win in buttholeville sprint tri? The thing is, no one really cares now either, but it's very easy to 'like' a cheaters ill gotten podium photo and create the illusion for these deluded individuals that people are impressed by their fake athletic accomplishments.
Quote Reply
Re: dopers vs course cutters [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely. We are in the "all about me" era. Selfies, round white stickers on the back of cars, etc. Which reminds me, I just took my morning #2. I better go to facebook and post about it complete with pictures. I am so important and awesome that someone will want to know about it!

(I don't know how to use the pink font yet)
Quote Reply

Prev Next