Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:
Nice!

Picked up the aero road bike this Saturday - hope to get the 808/disc by next Saturday:[/img]

Just got the 808/disc combo. It looks SWEET!
Last edited by: marzrya: Jun 4, 15 4:48
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [marzrya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cool! Just picked mine up at the end of yesterday's ride.[/img]

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [appledoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
appledoc wrote:
Can I open zwift and TR simultaneously with a computrainer? Won't there be some confusion when I hit a zwift hill but a slow interval in a TR workout?
Thanks
Ea

The way I do this is with two ANT+ sticks and TR's TrainerRelay feature. I connect the Kickr to TR, then Zwift connects to the virtual power meter that TR presents. This prevents any control conflicts that might happen if both apps are trying to control the Kickr directly.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Liquidmantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,
Not sure if this can work with a computrainer hook up.
Have to see what happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [appledoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It should work the same exact way. You'd still need two ANT+ sticks though, one for TR to transmit and one for Zwift to receive.

Trainer Road - Trainer Relay

Last edited by: Liquidmantis: Jun 4, 15 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Liquidmantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Liquidmantis wrote:
appledoc wrote:
Can I open zwift and TR simultaneously with a computrainer? Won't there be some confusion when I hit a zwift hill but a slow interval in a TR workout?
Thanks
Ea

The way I do this is with two ANT+ sticks and TR's TrainerRelay feature. I connect the Kickr to TR, then Zwift connects to the virtual power meter that TR presents. This prevents any control conflicts that might happen if both apps are trying to control the Kickr directly.

Interesting. I happen to have a spare ANT+ stick kicking around so I'll have to give this a try tonight with my CT, Trainerroad and Zwift. Thanks for posting the details.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Quote Reply
Post deleted by badgertri [ In reply to ]
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Croptop wrote:
Liquidmantis wrote:

Interesting. I happen to have a spare ANT+ stick kicking around so I'll have to give this a try tonight with my CT, Trainerroad and Zwift. Thanks for posting the details.

I finally got around to giving this a try with my CT last night. Worked like a charm. I was able to ride the Pettit workout on Trainerroad and relay the power output to Zwift. Thanks again for posting this tip.

===
"I eased off a bit. It never feels like you are easing off. More like you just stake out your place in the pain cave and sit there rather than venturing deeper inside..." -- Rappstar
Last edited by: Croptop: Jun 9, 15 12:09
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Croptop] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Croptop wrote:
Croptop wrote:
Liquidmantis wrote:

I finally got around to giving this a try with my CT last night. Worked like I charm. I was able to ride the Pettit workout on Trainerroad and relay the power output to Zwift. Thanks again for posting this tip.

Don't know if anyone has a suggestion on this front but I've purchased a 2nd ANT+ dongle for the laptop, setup the TrainerRoad relay and tried to Zwift with KICKR. The TrainerRoad app controls the KICKR properly, and when I first open Zwift it sees the fake "Garmin" power meter just fine and reports the correct watts if I am pedalling. Within 5-30 seconds of starting to ride in Zwift it drops to reading 0 watts and the virtual rider pulls over. TrainerRoad and KICKR seem to be fine. If I go out to settings in Zwift the power is correct, back into rode and it immediately drops to zero again (just in Zwift).

Any thoughts or success with this issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd suspect interference or USB dropouts. Try separating the transceivers and different USB ports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried connecting the KICKR to both TR and Zwift at the same time via ANT+ rather than using Trainer Relay? ANT+ can be read by multiple devices at once, so this may be a simpler route to go. If this doesn't solve it for you, shoot us an email to support@trainerroad.com and we can take a closer look. I know many others have been successful with a similar set up, so it can be done :)

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excuse my ignorance, but why do you want to run trainerroad and Zwift at the same time?
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Tapeworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions/feedback guys.

Tapeworm - I want to ride a TR structured workout in erg mode with something more interesting to look at than the floor (and rack up the exp points whenever possible).
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Tapeworm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tapeworm wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but why do you want to run trainerroad and Zwift at the same time?

Probably so you could get a structured ERG workout and still get credit on zwift for the level points and graphics?? my guess.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking of using Zwift to get me through next winter. I was previously using trainerroad and movies/tv on a very old laptop. I don't think the laptop will support Zwift, though. Given that my tablet is also on its way out, I was thinking of getting a Surface and using that as both my tablet and laptop. Anyone here use Zwift on a Surface? Or would I need a full fledged computer?

I'm using an Ant+ speed/cadence sensor + dongle on a cycleops fluid 2, if that makes any difference.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not an expert on the Surface but from searching the "Zwift Riders" facebook page there are people successfully using them. 5 quotes from different people below. Sounds like it works fine. There was some discussion on Graphics. Sounds like it may not be Ultra or High graphics setting worthy but I played for 4 months on low quality graphics and it is still pretty awesome. Usually takes a full blown gaming graphics card to get to the high or ultra graphics.

" I'm running on a Surface Pro 2 i5/8GB and it works great. Pretty much any computer you bought in the last 3-5 years is going to be 64bit."

"Just got the Surface Pro 3 (64 bit) working with Zwift and all is good!!"

"I am using a microsoft surface pro 2 to run zwift and so far so good"

" I'm currently using a surface pro 3 to run zwift"

"I run it on a pro 2 also. It's a full blown laptop like the three. It looks pretty good in 1024p, but there's no head light effect at night."
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [cbs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like an idiot. All that happens when I open the program is that it shows a few ads and closes down again. How the hell do I use the program?
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [ether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ether wrote:
I feel like an idiot. All that happens when I open the program is that it shows a few ads and closes down again. How the hell do I use the program?

There's no ads shown within Zwfit at the moment, so who knows what's loading? There is a few slash screens with game shots on them, if that's what you're referring to? If you're having issues, head on over to their website and raise a support ticket.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure Garmin express is not auto starting. The ant + dongle will. Connect with. It and not zwift.

NCCP certified Comp coach
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [125mph] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
125mph wrote:
Tapeworm wrote:

Probably so you could get a structured ERG workout and still get credit on zwift for the level points and graphics?? my guess.

Correct. I care more for structure than I do for entertainment. I currently use PerfPro Studio for structured workouts to control my smart trainer. I just run Zwift in the background to level-up so when Zwift does finally introduce workouts then it's as though I were using it the whole time.

That said, I'm really not sure on if I'll be subscribing to Zwift past open beta though. I bought PerfPro (one-time fee) to get away from TrainerRoad's monthly subscription. I've broke even on my investment so far and would prefer to keep the savings coming. I guess it will depend on how much functionality is dumped into the Zwift workouts. PerfPro has phenomenal functionality so it'll be pretty hard to convince me to switch.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I currently use PerfPro Studio for structured workouts to control my smart trainer. I just run Zwift in the background to level-up so when Zwift does finally introduce workouts then it's as though I were using it the whole time.

Exactly how are you doing this? I have PerfPro, too (as well as Zwift).

This is my current setup:

1. There are THREE usb ant+ dongles. PerfPro uses one to receive (which I do not use), one to transmit, and one is ignored (which is used by Zwift).

2. I run PerfPro, and have it control the computrainer (what smart trainer are you using?). I then turn on the option "simulate power meter" in PerfPro.

3. I run Zwift, and it does recognize the "power meter".

4. When I start pedaling, the wattage comes out on PerfPro correctly.

5. However, Zwift reads it grossly incorrectly. I know it can pick up a signal, but the wattage jumps from 0 to 500 to 2500 to 0 in a few seconds. Then when the [physical] wheel on the computrainer stops, it does it again: 0 to 500+ to 2500+ to 0. One *slight* pedal, and it does the 0 to 2500 spiel again (if I do this in the sprint part, I'd probably cover that in just a few seconds!)

Am I doing something wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [ether] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd add an interesting feature that I happened across by accident. If you start riding and then turn off your internet, the game will keep going and all the other riders will disappear. You get the place all to yourself. Nice if you don't want to be egged on by accident. Right before you finish, reconnect to the internet and you can upload your workout just like always.

We've moved to a new house with no internet yet, so I'm using data tethering that's too expensive to leave on all the time. I turned it off after the game got started and it worked fine. Could be useful for people into riding like that.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alfalfameister wrote:
Quote:
I currently use PerfPro Studio for structured workouts to control my smart trainer. I just run Zwift in the background to level-up so when Zwift does finally introduce workouts then it's as though I were using it the whole time.

Exactly how are you doing this? I have PerfPro, too (as well as Zwift).

This is my current setup:

1. There are THREE usb ant+ dongles. PerfPro uses one to receive (which I do not use), one to transmit, and one is ignored (which is used by Zwift).

2. I run PerfPro, and have it control the computrainer (what smart trainer are you using?). I then turn on the option "simulate power meter" in PerfPro.

3. I run Zwift, and it does recognize the "power meter".

4. When I start pedaling, the wattage comes out on PerfPro correctly.

5. However, Zwift reads it grossly incorrectly. I know it can pick up a signal, but the wattage jumps from 0 to 500 to 2500 to 0 in a few seconds. Then when the [physical] wheel on the computrainer stops, it does it again: 0 to 500+ to 2500+ to 0. One *slight* pedal, and it does the 0 to 2500 spiel again (if I do this in the sprint part, I'd probably cover that in just a few seconds!)

Am I doing something wrong?

I use a Kickr and I also have a Vector so I have Zwift set up to read only the Vector while PerfPro adjusts my Kickr resistance based off of my vector. I'm not quite sure why PerfPro would read accurately but Zwift wouldn't for you. Most people seem to have problems with both Zwift and PerfPro trying to control the trainer and I haven't heard of of your particular problem before. Perhaps their customer support would know better. You also might have luck asking on the Zwift Riders facebook page. The people there are fairly active and someone might have encountered that before and have a better idea than I do!

Random thought though: is Zwift trying to control the trainer too? I'm not sure about the computrainer but for the kickr some people would start zwift first, then perfpro/trainerroad/android app (the reverse order of what you're doing). Your problem may completely different but it's worth a shot I guess. Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [racehd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I was trying to troubleshoot (not yet finished; but here are the results so far).

I think the problem may lie in any one (or all) of these areas:

1. Zwift not reading the power correctly (that PerfPRO is transmitting);
2. PerfPRO not transmitting the power correctly;
3. Some of the USB ant+ sticks...

Anyway, I know that PerfPRO is transmitting correctly, because on an app on my phone, my phone is getting the correct readings.
The USB ant+ sticks are also working (I changed them into different combinations).

Zwift and PerfPRO are not fighting for control over the CT, methinks; I assign the CT to either Zwift OR PerfPRO, and to whom I assigned it is the one that controls it (in this case, I want PerfPRO to control). Besides, in the options of pairing Zwift with either the CT or the simulated power via ANT+, I already chose the ANT+ option (and if I run PerfPRO first, then the CT option is actually not available to Zwift -- first come, first served, I guess!).

Right now, I can't properly run the two together (unless I end up fluctuating between 0 and 2500+ watts - sure to get the ire of Zwifters everywhere; I'm sure the green jersery would be out of reach of even Kittel and Cavendish, haha)

I don't have a power meter, so cannot further cross check.

My next plan of attack (maybe later in the afternoon or so), is to switch USB hubs. Maybe three of them together in one hub is no good.

At least I know that PerfPro is transmitting correctly. And that the ANT+ sticks are fine. Right now, boils down to either Zwift not reading what PerfPRO is transmitting, or perhaps three ANT+ sticks in the same hub are causing issues.
Last edited by: Alfalfameister: Aug 6, 15 16:48
Quote Reply

Prev Next