Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got in this week, but because I'm tapering for HIM Chattanooga, I won't be able to play with it until next week.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Meathead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just went into open beta. No need to wait for an invite now.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Irix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Irix wrote:

I'm not sure what the Zwift user profile will turn out to be, as the app itself is still taking shape, but the incentive to use it as an online racing simulation is definitely present.

My guess is people will go for the virtual courses over structured training.

I'm an owner of a Kickr , I've had a sub to trainer road and have tried out zwift today, did 60k on the island, virtual riding on the kickr is infinitely more exiting than just following a line.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
Our question was what happens on a dumb trainer like the KK Road Machine? Is there any resistance difference going uphill/downhill? Does the zPower somehow change to reflect the profile of the course?

As someone else stated it just changes your perceived speed in the game. So if you don't change gears or cadence you'll see your "speed" on the climbs drop down to 2 or 3 mph..

So how are people averaging 40kph on the KOMs ?

I see people averaging 350-400watts on Zwift and then you look at their outdoor rides and they are nowhere near that level.
There was one guy riding around today doing half the lap at 20w/kg, something isn't right.
Last edited by: tom1111: May 16, 15 0:56
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [tom1111] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom1111 wrote:
trifreemc wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:
Our question was what happens on a dumb trainer like the KK Road Machine? Is there any resistance difference going uphill/downhill? Does the zPower somehow change to reflect the profile of the course?

As someone else stated it just changes your perceived speed in the game. So if you don't change gears or cadence you'll see your "speed" on the climbs drop down to 2 or 3 mph..

I see people averaging 350-400watts on Zwift and then you look at their outdoor rides and they are nowhere near that level.
There was one guy riding around today doing half the lap at 20w/kg, something isn't right.

Probably has weight settings incorrect either intentionally or by accident, using a non "approved" dumb trainer, janky ant+ connection, etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tom1111 wrote:
trifreemc wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

There are most certainly cheaters. Many of whom have been outed in social media and in Zwift itself multiple times. For me, I just don't pay attention. I don't really chase KOMs as it doesn't usually fit into my training plan anyway. Zwift has implemented some kind of cheating detection although I am not sure how it works. Usually when you see people doing 20W/Kg its either that they are using virtual power on rollers or some other trainer with hardly any resistance, and they entered a trainer like the Kurt Kinetic either by accident or intentionally to cheat. The other method is to enter a false weight that is incredibly low. Whenever I see a guy go be me like he's on a CBR1000 I just laugh... to me the fun goes on and my training doesn't suffer.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried it last week. Like it! Was pleasantly surprised it was able to control my Powerbeam Pro. I might ditch trainerroad for zwift. Hope they add structured workouts soon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not replying to you in particular...

But I like jostling for the sprints sometimes (I would hit about 750-800 watts PEAK for maybe a second or two, then average a bit over 500w for the sprint). Not magnificent numbers, and I definitely get dropped on almost any climb (power-to-too.much.weight ratio).

Using a computrainer, it has happened once or twice (random part of the track, and not for any sprint or KOM bonuses), I got disconnected somehow but the avatar shot up to 1500w, and held it for a few seconds (of course with me looking at the TV in disbelief with my legs standing still). While it may make me look like a sprint god, I know that I can't do anywhere near that (my 800w is like a second only, 2 seconds AT THE MOST), so I hope they fix that bug.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using TR and Zwift concurrently. I find that riding on Zwift allows me to stick out my TR intervals a bit better. While all psychological, I feel Zwift gives me 10 to 15 more watts than just TR alone.

It takes good discipline to maintain your targeted watts when hitting the KOM or spring segments.

http://www.teamodz.com
http://www.endurancelab.fit
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [trisuppo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G'day STers.

I was involved with the two Zwift launch/demo events here in Australia last week, and had a total blast. As a long term Zwift addict it was great to see people use it for the first time and get hooked.

My write up with pics, videos, and a few stories is up here: http://gplama.blogspot.com.au/...lenge-melbourne.html

Happy to answer any questions about the events if anyone wants more info/insight.

(*I'm not on the payroll, I just really love seeing people get hooked on it and enjoy ergos... )

cheers,
Shane/gplama

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great read Shane and what an amazing time. I think my fastest lap is around 16 minutes but that was over a longer ride. You've inspired me to go out and see how fast I could do a loop. I hate that the mountain is right there in the first mile. Killer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
rijndael wrote:
I'm on.

I have to restrict myself to using it for free/fun rides because I find it too difficult to stick to a workout.

I have been using 2 ANT+ sticks in my laptop and run trainer road on the bottom of my screen. If I want to do a specific workout I just make sure to follow T.R.s target power. It's a little tricky to get both ANT sticks synced up but once you do its a breeze. In find it easy to do both at once. I personally don't feel like I have to sprint for the green jersey or climb like an animal most of the time. So for me it's a great way to get a 40 mile ride in without going insane with boredom or replaying ISLAGIATT for the 20th time.

LOL, I have watched ISLAGIATT sooo many times. I better get Zwift!
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [rob0106] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got to level 12 today, next level should unlock the Tri Bike. Has anyone gotten locked it yet? Screenshot?
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Just got to level 12 today, next level should unlock the Tri Bike. Has anyone gotten locked it yet? Screenshot?

Lvl 13 unlocks the aero road bike. I don't have a screenshot of it handy, but I'll post one later if no one else here has it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here it is:

Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [bdcheung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah when I read aero bike, I thought tri bike still cool! Hope to have it as well as the black jersey on friday :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit level 14 tonight, and scored the 808/Disc combo.... so... time to get aero! :)

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are some shots of the aero TT bike:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Gplama,

I read in your post that you ride the course and take advantage of the hill profiles. Any insight as to where to really pick it up to get the most out of the momentum? I'm looking to get the black jersey sometime this summer :) and will need all the help I can get.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
I read in your post that you ride the course and take advantage of the hill profiles. Any insight as to where to really pick it up to get the most out of the momentum? I'm looking to get the black jersey sometime this summer :) and will need all the help I can get.

For the current course, start at a solid pace to the base of the hill, then try to obliterate the hill full gas*. Huge gains for better overall time can be made up the KOM. Push over the top, then once you're up to speed on the descent (once you pass though both huge cycling statues) you can really back it off, a lot. Start picking it up again at the gas station and push hard over rollers all the way to the line.

*as hard as you can go and still have enough to get around the course.

It replicates real world pacing, so try a few different things and see what works. Unless you've completely blown up on the climb you'll never know how hard you can ride it. (Again, big gains on the hill!) :)

Hope this helps.

Shane Miller - GPLama
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your talking long rides the basic idea for fast pace and not too hard is increase about 15-30% going up the 3 larger hills. Back off 10-20% on the gradual descents. On the big descent by the bike statues you pretty much coast/rest.

Also if you are looking to save time use your power ups appropriately. Use the feather on the bigger hills. Use aero on the downhills. and use the helmet when you can use another rider to draft from. On a long ride I would recommend using power ups before the next banner instead of saving them for optimal advantage. This will allow you to get another PU at the next banner. Assuming you are going for the most assistance possible.

Biggest advantage is a group draft. If you can do this at a pace appropriate for one of the group rides/races that would be a huge benefit. A large group is good for 30+ seconds a lap off your lap times.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
Probably has weight settings incorrect either intentionally or by accident, using a non "approved" dumb trainer, janky ant+ connection, etc...

There is a lot more than that though. Mess up the calibration on a $2k PM and you're blowing by people. Unless I'm missing some sort of voluntary normalization, I don't see a good way to hop on and enjoy with a friend on a level playing field unless we both have identical setups. I have seen virtual power on GC, it's amazing in that it's quite precise, although I really have no idea how accurate. The differences between a hub PM vs. pedal PM are no different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice!

Picked up the aero road bike this Saturday - hope to get the 808/disc by next Saturday:[/img]

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [trisuppo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can I open zwift and TR simultaneously with a computrainer? Won't there be some confusion when I hit a zwift hill but a slow interval in a TR workout?
Thanks
Ea
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [appledoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
appledoc wrote:
Can I open zwift and TR simultaneously with a computrainer? Won't there be some confusion when I hit a zwift hill but a slow interval in a TR workout?
Thanks
Ea

I think you need two ANT+ sticks. I have a Wahoo KICKR and use Bluetooth for the Wahoo App to control the intervals, and ANT+ for Zwift.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply

Prev Next