Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unofficial Zwift Manual: http://goo.gl/W8XeeX
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [jmX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couple questions: what (if any) smoothing is being applied to the wattage values displayed in the game? I typically ride with 3s power just because power is such an inherently jumpy number. It would be really nice to have the option to apply some smoothing to the power value displayed on screen (but obviously without applying this to the in-game physics). I think it's possible to have another ANT+ head unit displaying inputs from one power meter, but since zwift takes care of all the other data recording I've been zwifting without my Garmin.

Also, can you please add an option to remember credentials or stay logged in to the zwift program on Windows? It's training software, it doesn't really need to be secure...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've beenacceptd I to be beta and today tried t pair my Garmin HRM.

I use a 2011 or 2012 MacBook Pro and for some reason the ant+ dongle was recognised, but wouldn't find the HRM or pair to it. Annoying as Trainerroad on the same MacBook finds it and pairs really quickly.

Any thoughts as to why this is happening?

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:

I use a 2011 or 2012 MacBook Pro and for some reason the ant+ dongle was recognised, but wouldn't find the HRM or pair to it. Annoying as Trainerroad on the same MacBook finds it and pairs really quickly.

Exact same thing happened with my 2010 mb with garmin dongle. I shut the laptop down, removed and reinserted the dongle and took out the battery on my quarq, shorted it, then reinstalled. Restarted laptop and everything recognized and worked smoothly from there.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [waupaca11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
waupaca11 wrote:
BayDad wrote:

Ok thanks, will try that later today.
Exact same thing happened with my 2010 mb with garmin dongle. I shut the laptop down, removed and reinserted the dongle and took out the battery on my quarq, shorted it, then reinstalled. Restarted laptop and everything recognized and worked smoothly from there.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
waupaca11 wrote:
BayDad wrote:

Ok thanks, will try that later today.
Ok so it turns out I need a USB2 stick so the one I'm using will work with Trainerroad but not Swift.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother and I were talking about Zwift yesterday as I'm trying to get him to sign up. I'm using a Wahoo KICKR and he has a KK Road Machine. The KICKR adjust itself depending on the grade of the ascent or descent so going downhill or uphill feels like it does when you're outside. I'm assuming Zwift sends the KICKR into Sim mode.

Our question was what happens on a dumb trainer like the KK Road Machine? Is there any resistance difference going uphill/downhill? Does the zPower somehow change to reflect the profile of the course?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On dumb trainers the only thing that changes is your speed vs. power output relationship. A power output of, say 300W will make you go maybe 30mph on a downhill, 25mph on flat, and then maybe 12mph uphill. It doesn't feel any different on your bike, you just know you're going uphill/downhill based on the minimap grade indication/number and the fact that you're going faster or slower.

The Kickr + Zwift sounds amazing. I have the Jetfluid pro, and while it's still really awesome, I feel like the resistance variability that you can control with the Kickr would send Zwift to an entirely different level of awesome.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [ZackCapets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any plans for linux support?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
Couple questions: what (if any) smoothing is being applied to the wattage values displayed in the game? I typically ride with 3s power just because power is such an inherently jumpy number. It would be really nice to have the option to apply some smoothing to the power value displayed on screen (but obviously without applying this to the in-game physics). I think it's possible to have another ANT+ head unit displaying inputs from one power meter, but since zwift takes care of all the other data recording I've been zwifting without my Garmin.

Also, can you please add an option to remember credentials or stay logged in to the zwift program on Windows? It's training software, it doesn't really need to be secure...

There is no power smoothing on Zwift. I use my Garmin to give me 3sec. Power, Lap Power, and AVG. Power. That lets me tailor my workouts, especially Lap Power.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackCapets wrote:
The Kickr + Zwift sounds amazing. I have the Jetfluid pro, and while it's still really awesome, I feel like the resistance variability that you can control with the Kickr would send Zwift to an entirely different level of awesome.

I personally don't like this ... most of the time at least. When I get on the trainer I don't want to be shifting so frequently. I like to do so occasionally and stand up on the pedals, but (depending on the workout) don't want to be doing it so much. I've tried it both ways on Zwift and in general like it better to ride in 'level' mode. Initially this worked fine, so long as I just started the Wahoo app first. Or if I manually go from level->erg->level in the app. After the recent update though it seems that Zwift will keep taking over control and vary the resistance. But I did manage to get it out of that mode. (it is nice to have the option though, and I have ridden in 'simulation' mode).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
Our question was what happens on a dumb trainer like the KK Road Machine? Is there any resistance difference going uphill/downhill? Does the zPower somehow change to reflect the profile of the course?

As someone else stated it just changes your perceived speed in the game. So if you don't change gears or cadence you'll see your "speed" on the climbs drop down to 2 or 3 mph (or some other equivalently low number depending how hard you were pedaling to begin with). This is my queue to kick up the effort on the trainer to bring that speed up to something more realistic which obviously requires more work.

So you can simply keep the exact same pace and effort and spin around the island if you desire. This takes a lot of discipline however as you always seem to be attempting to latch onto faster riders, hammering the sprint zones, etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trifreemc wrote:
GMAN19030 wrote:

As someone else stated it just changes your perceived speed in the game. So if you don't change gears or cadence you'll see your "speed" on the climbs drop down to 2 or 3 mph (or some other equivalently low number depending how hard you were pedaling to begin with). This is my queue to kick up the effort on the trainer to bring that speed up to something more realistic which obviously requires more work.

So you can simply keep the exact same pace and effort and spin around the island if you desire. This takes a lot of discipline however as you always seem to be attempting to latch onto faster riders, hammering the sprint zones, etc...

Okay, makes sense.

Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [trifreemc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got my invite and tried to pair my power tap tonight with no luck -- I'm running a macbook pro with a Garmin ant+ stick and a Cycleops Powersync Ant+ trainer. My garmin pairs with it, as does Trainerroad. Anyone have tips for getting it to pair? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There was Zwift update (for the Mac at least) when I signed in to do a ride yesterday.

Ride was kind of buggy for me. I had sound in the menu but once the game fired up there was no sound. About halfway through the ride the ANT signal cut out and my KICKR went into Resistance or Level mode instead of Sim mode. RPM readings are also gone... which now makes sense because I have never had a cadence sensor so I wasn't sure how I was getting cadence numbers in the first place.

I'm going to ride again in an hour so I'll see if it's less buggy.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Mar 22, 15 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [bdcheung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bdcheung wrote:
Unofficial Zwift Manual: http://goo.gl/W8XeeX

nice!
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [mjdwyer23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mjdwyer23 wrote:
Just got my invite and tried to pair my power tap tonight with no luck -- I'm running a macbook pro with a Garmin ant+ stick and a Cycleops Powersync Ant+ trainer. My garmin pairs with it, as does Trainerroad. Anyone have tips for getting it to pair? Thanks!
Is your Garmin ant+ stick USB1 or USB2

I had this issue last week and it turns out that the stick I was using was USB1 which Zwift doesn't support. Have since ordered one which is USB2 which should do the trick.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Last edited by: BayDad: Mar 24, 15 17:42
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [jmX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just started Zwift-ing.

Set-up is Computrainer (but haven't installed the cadence yet, so cadence of cycling avatar does not match real life -- if I install cadence sensor on my bike, will the avatar match?)

EDIT: GTX 970, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i7, 16GB RAM. (yes, it's my gaming computer, used for my driving simulators and what-nots)

Am in front of a projector screen (120") which makes it more fun.

Suggestion for developers: go to driving simulator sites (Assetto Corsa, rFactor 1 and 2, etc)... there are people who make gorgeous well detailed tracks, and some of these people make it for FREE. I would love to bike some of the race tracks, but most are short (well, some are shorter than Zwift island), but would really love to bike the Nurburgring (Nordschliefe, aka The Green Hell)... it's a 21km course, and there are free versions of it for race simulators (the laser scanned versions are proprietary to the developers like Assetto Corsa or iRacing).

And then there are so many tracks that are "Fantasy Tracks" (not available in real life, but realistic enough -- and then there are the non-realistic ones; think "Mario Kart"). And lots of them are freely available.

Maybe tie-up with some of these guys who make race tracks (after all, they do it for free) or find a way to adapt the tracks to Zwift? This should cut down on track/course development...
Last edited by: Alfalfameister: Mar 24, 15 16:23
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
ZackCapets wrote:

I personally don't like this ... most of the time at least. When I get on the trainer I don't want to be shifting so frequently. I like to do so occasionally and stand up on the pedals, but (depending on the workout) don't want to be doing it so much. I've tried it both ways on Zwift and in general like it better to ride in 'level' mode. Initially this worked fine, so long as I just started the Wahoo app first. Or if I manually go from level->erg->level in the app. After the recent update though it seems that Zwift will keep taking over control and vary the resistance. But I did manage to get it out of that mode. (it is nice to have the option though, and I have ridden in 'simulation' mode).

Depends on what you're looking to get out of it. If I want a really structured workout then I want to a manual or pre-programmed ERG mode which will involve consistent intervals with almost no shifting. In theory I think those are the "best" workouts but in reality, the "best" workout is the one you'll actually do.

I'm not racing seriously anymore and don't have the stomach do grind out boring overly-structured workouts like I used to. Zwift is the first product I've ever used that has really delivered on the promise of making me forget that I'm on a trainer, even briefly. The variability, the shifting, the movement in and out of the saddle, I find it all far more engaging than anything else I've used in my years having a CompuTrainer and now a KICKR.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just started this morning - wow that was fun! Certainly pushed myself harder than I ever have on my trainer. It was only a quick 1hr workout after I overslept a bit but I can see how addicting this can be and how easy it is to push yourself! I'm still trying to tweek my setup with my laptop and onto a tv/monitor but for the most part it's good. This will make rainy days and early morning spins SO much better!
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a thread about this on the official Zwift support forum.

Short answer is "no".

Long answer is "No, because there isn't enough of a market to justify the development time"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, I wanted to run it on my water-cooled overclocked Raspberry Pi connected to my VeloTron or Lynx.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Praise Gaben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bdcheung wrote:
There was a thread about this on the official Zwift support forum.

Short answer is "no".

Long answer is "No, because there isn't enough of a market to justify the development time"

If steam boxes become a thing (finally) then you never know. Linux support (or specifically Steam OS support at least) could be a real option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my first go today - had Zwift going on my MacBook and TrainerRoad going on my iPad. Am looking forward to Sufferfest vids being able to link with Trainerroad on the iPad so ill do that while Zwifting at the same time.

Definitely a lot of fun.

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3

Quote Reply

Prev Next