Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vancity wrote:
Everytime i ride zwift im really thinking of what it CAN be, not really what it is (Since its a beta). The actual riding itself is there -- now its the events, training, scheduling, website integration, etc.

Yup, and really we'll be adding features for years (presumably) even once beta is over.

To those not ecstatic about Zwift, that's understandable. Try us back later - this is nowhere near our end-game.

I'd also like to say that we're not currently trying to compete with Trainer Road. They are apples and oranges, and I imagine many of you eat both. Even when we do workout mode, it'll be something fairly different than what TR offers and people will have their preferences. Right now TR and Zwift compliment each other IMO.

Jon
Last edited by: jmX: Feb 27, 15 16:14
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [jmX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loving it but still waiting for my first celebrity encounter. Was all excited to see 'K. Kardashian' on there yesterday but looked at the mobile app and saw it was someone else.

FYI the android app is excellent.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [badgertri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
badgertri wrote:

YES! I have my doubts that many people on this thread with negative opinions have ever taken part in a beta. This is FREE...there are going to be lots of bugs and very few functions. But the potential is massive.

Beta testers with only positive feedback are pointless.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, and my comments also provided some suggestions on what would make it more interesting for me. I think flat out negative comments with nothing in terms of suggestions on how to improve are useless, but those that provide constructive feedback should be encouraged. It's one of the things that helps people/businesses grow.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
Who else here is Zwifting?

Received my invite to download the software today. The setup will be in the cave on a Kurt Road Machine and connected to a Mac Mini. Because I didn't want to get the ANT+ sensor and/or dongle if I didn't get the invite, they were not ordered until this morning, consisting of...
  • Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor
  • Suunto MoveStick mini
Pretty sure from what I read over at DC Rainmaker sometime ago, those two will work together. Anyone have any experience suggesting otherwise?

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [dseiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you'll be fine. we're using 3 x speed/cadence sensors & 2 x movesticks. no problems at all.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The mac invites are really flowing guys. We have 250+ people cruising around (screenshot from 245 obviously) and I see group rides and century rides going on. Pretty exciting morning on the island.

Last edited by: jmX: Feb 28, 15 10:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may be a dumb question or may have already been answered so my apologies, but I did my first ride this morning (thought it was awesome!) and when I uploaded to strava I noticed it showed my cadence. This seemed odd to me since I don't have a cadence sensor. I am riding a Kickr, but I didn't think it had cadence capabilities by itself.

Just wondering where it would have picked this up?
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [dseiler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dseiler wrote:
warwicke36 wrote:
Who else here is Zwifting?

Received my invite to download the software today. The setup will be in the cave on a Kurt Road Machine and connected to a Mac Mini. Because I didn't want to get the ANT+ sensor and/or dongle if I didn't get the invite, they were not ordered until this morning, consisting of...
  • Garmin GSC-10 speed/cadence sensor
  • Suunto MoveStick mini

Pretty sure from what I read over at DC Rainmaker sometime ago, those two will work together. Anyone have any experience suggesting otherwise?

I'm using those two devices with a PC and Golden Cheetah, works fine. I just sent in my request for Zwift, on a waiting list I believe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
you'll be fine. we're using 3 x speed/cadence sensors & 2 x movesticks. no problems at all.

Nice! Thanks for the info. Hope to be on the island soon.

#cureMS
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
badgertri wrote:

YES! I have my doubts that many people on this thread with negative opinions have ever taken part in a beta. This is FREE...there are going to be lots of bugs and very few functions. But the potential is massive.

Beta testers with only positive feedback are pointless.

That's why they have an entire section of their website devoted to beta feedback. It is used frequently and their team responds very quickly.

All good Betas will have positive and negative feedback and that's a good thing.

For me it's overwhelmingly positive. But there are some bugs to work out... mostly drafting issues. Nothing that doesnt keep me from doing 200 miles a week.

I thoroughly enjoyed our Metric century today. Did 3.3 watt/kg average for a 2:46 Metric Century. NEVER would have done that on the trainer without Zwift. EVER. It was an incredibly positive experience. So many nice people and strong riders.

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Last edited by: warwicke36: Feb 28, 15 11:24
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have played around with zwift a little more

I like that the physics seem good and my speeds are about what I would expect for a given power output

If you're training for non-draft tri it can be fun to practise pacing by modulating effort on the hill sections, pushing slightly on the uphill sections and dropping the effort on the downhills

Not sure about the powerups. Seems a bit weird.

I enjoy the primes, but I can never resist the temptation to go hard for them and thus ruin my pacing for the lap :)
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the power ups are just a way to help gamify it, it is an MMOG - got have levels and buffs and fun stuff like that.

Get a train of peeps going, the lead guy with the aero boost, several guys following with the draft boost, then have your sprinter go like hell with an aero boost on.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to the ability to do more maps - perhaps an organized virtual "Tour" - let us form teams, make rivalries, etc., etc.

Lots of really great potential here.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Drdan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been on Zwift a little over a week and I'm really liking it so far. We had a wet/cold weekend in Austin and I spent both days Zwifting rather than braving the weather.

You definitely get that extra motivation from riding/chasing/attacking in the group. I "Zwifted" for 1 hour, 45 minutes straight today and my NP was ~250 watts which is higher than I'd typically see on a group ride even when I'm trying to push the pace. I hardly ever do more than an hour inside and the time was flying with Zwift. You also don't ever need to worry about being a jerk and dropping someone, no waiting to regroup or at store stops, etc. You don't get the social side of a group ride, but that's fine when I just want to get a hard effort in.

One thing that is tough - I do my Zwifting on rollers. You get so absorbed into the "game", that it's tough to remember not to steer or coast. I haven't wrecked yet, but have come close a few times. When I get to the top of the hill (legs burning to hold a wheel), my mind wants to coast on the downhill and just sit in the draft to rest like I might on the road. Everything looks fine on the screen, but the rollers don't work too well when you aren't pedaling.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode five laps last night after my scheduled two hour trainer workout. The went something like this:

1) medium effort, still recovering from previous workout.
2) hmm, wonder how close can I get to the KOM? accelerate at the tree with the hole in it, hammer to the top, recover. 41 seconds, 8th. drats.
3) recover, steady effort
4) full lap at threshold. go.
5) hmm, another full lap at threshold. how many people can I catch? go.
6) it's 8:30, I need to be done. I see where this ride is headed... no go.

it's easy to focus your attention on the ride and forget about things you should be doing other than riding. two things that make a huge difference for ride-ability: other (real) people on the course, and minor goals/accomplishments (eg, sprint lines) along the way. I'm looking forward to more courses as they become available.

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Saturday ride went like this...It was to be 2h endurance and about 30min before I'm done, I get a text 'hey dude, that's me 2secs faster than you, on the lap'...oh hell no! And one loop in 7.30 just because I'm not going to let this jackass ahead (I hope you're reading this Chris). ;-)
More seriously, it's a pretty neat piece of software. It'd be fun to be able to select who you ride with soon, as at times the roads are crowded and it gets a bit annoying, but it sure makes riding the trainer a lot more fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [bluto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found myself doing that too, pushing hard up a hill for time, or chasing someone, then letting up once I crested or after I dropped them.

Kind of funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing that would be really nice would be the option to stay signed in on the PC client. I hate logging in every time--it's a minor detail, but nowadays everything has this option...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
My Saturday ride went like this...It was to be 2h endurance and about 30min before I'm done, I get a text 'hey dude, that's me 2secs faster than you, on the lap'...oh hell no! And one loop in 7.30 just because I'm not going to let this jackass ahead (I hope you're reading this Chris). ;-)
More seriously, it's a pretty neat piece of software. It'd be fun to be able to select who you ride with soon, as at times the roads are crowded and it gets a bit annoying, but it sure makes riding the trainer a lot more fun.

Haha, I started reading your post before I saw who it was that posted... I thought damn that sounds a lot like the conversation I had with Francois. I had a good chuckle at that.

I'll be doing 4x10min at FTP today on Zwift. We'll see if your 7:35 stands (I believe you embellished for your post above :) )
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [CDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was 7.30ish. Didn't remember exactly. But I'll go flat out as soon as your done. Jerk. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [CDriver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/img]

Tried to better my green jersey time after 102 miles........so so so close...
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do you change view angle on the Zwift Beta?

CyclingSessions

Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [cyclingsessions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Number keys
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [cyclingsessions] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Numbers 1-8 will change the view
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply