Re: Who's your favorite doper? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pantani.

/thread

Re: Who's your favorite doper? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Jarmila Kratochvilova

I remember seeing her during the 1980 Olympics. I wished I could have had the same upper body physique.

She reminds me of some of today's women's tennis players.

Nice package as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [Daremo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have to go with Contador. The guy has cajones grandes and fights to the end with an attacking style. At the Tour in 2013 he crashed in first week and clearly didn't look right, but fought all the way to the end even when it was clear he wasn't contending. He's a hard man, where Pantani was a near basket case.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 2, 15 11:02
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [deludedcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deludedcyclist wrote:
Riccardo Ricco. I loved his crazy attacks in the 2008 tour. And that every time he came back he got caught cheating.
+1 You would be hard-pressed to find a more committed doper. Do it yourself blood transfusions, multiple doping violations, doping girlfriend, still doping on a lifetime suspension. He is/was the hardest of the hardcore.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As soon as the road went up, il Pirato just attacked/attacked/attacked. Where AC rides with some explosiveness and excitement, MP just rode with passion. In an age when everyone was full blown juiced with epo and blood bags, he was STILL walking away from them on the climbs on a good day.

He was just so much fun to watch.

Last edited by: Daremo: Feb 2, 15 11:17
Quote Reply
Post deleted by bobttcoach [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: bobttcoach: Feb 2, 15 11:32
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
pattersonpaul wrote:
Kevin Moats because we're in the same age group.

Yes, I realize that make no sense but that's my answer.

X2. My age group, too. Ran me down at St. Croix and crowed about it.

+1 on Kevin Moats because he's local and even my cycling buddy knew Kevin was doping long before he was caught. The one you personally know that rubs it in your face counts for something.

Glad to see mention of the Eastern Bloc programs that cheated many amateurs around the world out of medals and records.

Still don't think Lemond was doping (ever the optimist).

No mention of Nike? The European press is very much up to speed on Nike athletes on synthroid and their alleged ability to approach and not cross the testing lines.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [imsparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding Usain Bolt, if he is taking, what would you guess it is and how does he get away with it?

I wonder if there is more doping at the top of the cycling pro peloton to win races, or more at the bottom end as they fight for their careers?

http://www.thedeludedcyclist.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought we had already decided the favorite was Jens?
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [IT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
take a look at last years Lavaman ,,your buddy won that ,plus he won the 10k road race in Kona earlier ???hmmm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Flying Tomato!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah fair point as it was semantics i was arguing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't mention the Cobra and not bring up trying to transfuse his own blood out of fridge and almost dying while still denying it. And then once he was banned for 12 years claiming that he going to set strava records on all the big passes.

Frank VBD is the king though. Just google it, too much to list here. Od'd with a Senagalese hooker.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [jjh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was always looking up to Virenque growing up. Attacking from the get go in mountain stages and going solo with multiple climbs ahead. Who rides with that panache/stupidity anymore ?
Pantani was a fantastic, but he was also smart and just attacking on the last climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:
You can't mention the Cobra and not bring up trying to transfuse his own blood out of fridge and almost dying while still denying it. And then once he was banned for 12 years claiming that he going to set strava records on all the big passes.

That project is still on. Ricco set a great time up Ventoux last year then crashed while descending. He looks like he is in killer shape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jjh wrote:

Frank VBD is the king though. Just google it, too much to list here. Od'd with a Senagalese hooker.
I don't think many Americans will know VDB but sure was something special. Beautiful style, extremely elegant. Such a talent gone to waste. Him and Gaumont took doing to a new level. One died and the other almost.

Quote | Reply
you can't be a real cycling fan and not know who VDB I is. Okay, that was a True Scotsman fallacy, but him winning Liege and then storming in Vuelta despite his late night escapades is up there with Pantani's attacks and Boonen's partying.

and since we brought up VDB, i guess another would be Michele "Sansone" Bartoli. I'd argue he had the most graceful of styles, not the least of which when he attacked on la Redoute, out of saddle and hands in the drops. Even when he's on his hoods, he's still so damn aero... I think he's the last person to have won both Liege and de Ronde. Impressive

Last edited by: echappist: Feb 2, 15 20:56
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot about Philipe Gaumount. The part on Millar's book where Gaumonut is attempting, through a fog of sedatives and alcohol, to assemble his bike in the Madrid airport is a highlight.

He of course arranged the Senegal hooker/heroin sortie that got VDB killed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
deludedcyclist wrote:
Regarding Usain Bolt, if he is taking, what would you guess it is and how does he get away with it?

I wonder if there is more doping at the top of the cycling pro peloton to win races, or more at the bottom end as they fight for their careers?

Steroids, like all top sprinters. One top coach was quoted at the London Olympics saying you could nnot make the final of the 100m without doping.

As for getting away with, it's not so hard. Mainly, avoid getting tested when you're hot. Easier for some than others, but seemingly quite easy for the Jamaicans.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Previously top sprinters (marion jones and others) were getting away with steroids by using a custom designer steroid that nobody knew to test for.

No reason you can't do that again, and again.
There are a great many compounds that will bind to the androgen receptors and do their good work. Possibly an infinity of them?

Any chemists around?

Kay Serrar wrote:
deludedcyclist wrote:

Steroids, like all top sprinters. One top coach was quoted at the London Olympics saying you could nnot make the final of the 100m without doping.

As for getting away with, it's not so hard. Mainly, avoid getting tested when you're hot. Easier for some than others, but seemingly quite easy for the Jamaicans.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Feb 4, 15 9:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Justin Gatlin...

His resume:

- Age 32
- Previously banned twice for doping
- Unbeaten in 2014
- Fastest time of 2014 (9.77)
- Ran six of the seven fastest 100m in 2014
- Fastest ever sprint double, clocking 9.77 seconds for the 100m an hour before running the 200m in 19.71 (previous PR 20.03) - last summer
- Nominated for IAAF Athlete of the Year 2014

Meanwhile...
Drug cheats in sport could benefit 'for decades', scientists find
http://www.bbc.com/...0/athletics/29510575
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any thread that OP starts with Jerry Garcia gets a bump (excuse the PUN!). Oh how I miss the good 'ol days!

I read the first page of posts....no mention of Indurain....but as a Canadian; seriously, it's Big Ben all the way. 1988. NOTHING IN TRACK HAS CHANGED. And now that there's more $ in world marathons then 10000 meters the tradition continues. Sad really. Curious if 2035 we will look back to cycling like track 27 yrs later and see same unfortunate trend to the miraculous clean day of 2006!

Oh. And the entire NFL. God I love football.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Alvin Tostig wrote:
Jarmila Kratochvilova

I remember seeing her during the 1980 Olympics. I wished I could have had the same upper body physique.

For the win. Though I am not getting the tennis comparison. Serena looks oddly... natural IMO.

"He's a pinball wizard...". my fav is the Chicken
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
+1 You would be hard-pressed to find a more committed doper. Do it yourself blood transfusions, multiple doping violations, doping girlfriend, still doping on a lifetime suspension. He is/was the hardest of the hardcore.

Funniest post yet in this thread.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I still have a hard time believing that wasn't a dude :)

Alvin Tostig wrote:
Jarmila Kratochvilova

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply

Prev Next