Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: How to figure marathon goal pace [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runner66 wrote:
I did the exact same thing and joined a gym last week. I can usually run in any weather, but trying to get in the faster running in these conditions is impossible, and dangerous. I'm slowly getting used to the treadmill. Today I did the 4x1.5 repeats indoors and it wasn't too bad, although the pace on a treadmill always feels much harder to me than the same pace outside.

What is your goal for the marathon? Have you been able to hit the tempo and strength paces based on the plan guideline?

I am getting a treadmill for home, I found a nice old commercial unit on ebay I'm going to drag it in the house on thursday for my 9 mi tempo.

I think I'm hitting the workouts OK, i ran a 1/2 marathon in the fall at 1.33, so I was thinking 2.15 for my 30k, I'm not doing a full marathon unless I'm jumping for joy at the end of 30k. I suspect 1/2 marathon is a better distance for me anyway, the longer runs beat me up.

I think no matter what, this program will give me a great base coming into the spring. I'm still able to get out a couple times a week for XC skiing and maybe 3x for alpine, can't live like a monk
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That old 16:57 speaks to a much faster marathon than the 3:05 so you either sally saved a lot the whole way or aren't running enough mileage around goal pace to support it. If it was the former, which I'll bet it is if you truly were running 60-70mpw consistently, then you probably stand a solid chance at going 3:05 again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can "fake" a 5k to 1/2 marathon by getting out the door frequently, even if I'm not doing a ton of volume. I tried to fake a marathon once and shoot for sub-3 and it ended poorly. Most painful way I could have ever run 3:15.

My Macmillan splits are almost dead-on from 5k to 1/2 marathon (~18:0X and I ran a 1:23 Sunday in SF). But there's no chance in hell my 25 miles/week would get me to the predicted 1:54.

There are plenty of people I can beat in a 5k or a 1/2 that would smoke me in a marathon. You are probably one of them, and my thought is that running another 3:05 is likely do-able, but doesn't really do anything for you.

Shoot for 2:59:59 and give yourself a chance to be a hero.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next