Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boonen. Winning Roubaix then snorting coke off a hooker's ass is bringing it.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan Ullrich......always showed up overweight at the tour, attacked and had tons of power. I was always hoping he would beat lance because at the time I knew lance must have been doping and didn't think Jan was. I always knew lance doped. Could it have been more obvious people?
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sven Nys is BOSS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bjarne Riis. Anyone who acquires the nickname "Mr. 60%" is pure gold.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
Kevin Moats because we're in the same age group.

Yes, I realize that make no sense but that's my answer.

X2. My age group, too. Ran me down at St. Croix and crowed about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [triordie1994] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triordie1994 wrote:
Jan Ullrich......always showed up overweight at the tour, attacked and had tons of power. I was always hoping he would beat lance because at the time I knew lance must have been doping and didn't think Jan was. I always knew lance doped. Could it have been more obvious people?

Jan's first doping offence IIRC was for recreational coke use, he was hammered and high on coke and crashed his porsche int a bike rack….full of bikes.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flojo
Her 100 record will stand until they dump all anti doping rules and make it open slather.
2nd place has to go to usain - when something seems to good to be true, it usually is. Like flojo, he's so far in front of second he just seems to good to be true!
Last edited by: gunsbuns: Jan 31, 15 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
The top guys are on par with top roadies. Stybar (top roadie) doesn't dominate races the way Nijs did in his hey-day.

Although Stybar races road, he is not a "top roadie" he has by far better CX palmares.
That's my point, Stybar objectively is a little better than George Hincapie on the road and he is a 2 time CX world champion.
There are easily 30-40 roadies who are better than him, so arguably would be capable of winning a CX world championship.
The only reason I can come can come up with that they aren't doing it is that skills are more important than you think. Why do
you see so few people that race both?
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Pantani-Riis-Vino-Fignon (RIP) - Jaja- Merckx-Virenque-Contador (anyone who wins a tour after aneurysm)

...I really can't make up my mind

• Vino at the London Olympics was gold...
  • Pantani on Ventoux and all the post Ventoux "gift" banter was for the ages.
  • Riis on the 46k snowstorm stage at the 1996 Tour to Sestriere
  • Fignon losing the 89 Tour on the Champs to the Vitamin B guy
  • Merckx because he was him
  • Contador on Verbier tailwind and all
  • Jalabert and his incredible transformation from green jersey to polka dot king and then age group Mdot Podium guy! (still love having him in my age group)

But these guys have nothing on the swagger of Ben Johnson during 9.79 and his posse of steroid kings:Dennis Mitchel, Desai Williams, LInford Christie, Ray Stewart...only Calvin Smith and Robson Da Silva from what I recall were never implicated in anything!

Hey, why no love for Carl Lewis? He was a way better doper than Ben Johnson?
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Spicoli, hands down.

I've been Moving in Stereo ever since....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vinokourov hands down the best.
He had the killer instinct and the dope put him over the top for some of the most opportunistic wins I have ever seen.
His win on the Champs Elysees has to be one of the all time classic victories in cycling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bill Clinton.

Proud Representative of Slowtwitch Anti-Atheists Society.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Pantani-Riis-Vino-Fignon (RIP) - Jaja- Merckx-Virenque-Contador (anyone who wins a tour after aneurysm)

...I really can't make up my mind

• Vino at the London Olympics was gold...
  • Pantani on Ventoux and all the post Ventoux "gift" banter was for the ages.
  • Riis on the 46k snowstorm stage at the 1996 Tour to Sestriere
  • Fignon losing the 89 Tour on the Champs to the Vitamin B guy
  • Merckx because he was him
  • Contador on Verbier tailwind and all
  • Jalabert and his incredible transformation from green jersey to polka dot king and then age group Mdot Podium guy! (still love having him in my age group)

But these guys have nothing on the swagger of Ben Johnson during 9.79 and his posse of steroid kings:Dennis Mitchel, Desai Williams, LInford Christie, Ray Stewart...only Calvin Smith and Robson Da Silva from what I recall were never implicated in anything!

Hey, why no love for Carl Lewis? He was a way better doper than Ben Johnson?

LOL...how did a leave Carl out of the posse....I was so focused on making sure that I did not include Calvin Smith and Robson Da Silva that I painted Carl with the "clean" brush....oh the shame.

As for the cyclists, I think Vino had the perfect swagger to go with the dope...and the London Olympic gold was like, "Hey, you put me in the penalty box, I did my time and I took the gold from under the nose of the Queen". That was almost like Stalin coming through Trafalgar square and taking the crown off the Queen's head shortly after her coronation. too bad for Cavendish and crew, but Vino on the Mall was one of the ages. Vino must have been the most love-able rider on the bike that is hate-able off the bike! But hey, we don't really pay to watch what they do off the bike :-(. At least the sponsors don't think so.

Soon going to be time to tune Djokovic vs,. Murray in the Aussie Open finals....I THINK I am watching two clean players.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [Tri_It_JB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leave it to Beaver, er in this case Bryden (the younger) to take the high road, Rob (the elder) would be proud. BTW: you are bad ass as well, as any kid would be doing tempo runs at 11 PM in Airdrie!

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [gunsbuns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Flo Jo is in the conversation for the greatest athlete of all time. The only proof that anyone has ever had against her was she was too good.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
Flo Jo is in the conversation for the greatest athlete of all time. The only proof that anyone has ever had against her was she was too good.

I think her premature death and her incredible improvement leading into '88 provide a lot of proof.
Plus, those outfits she wore, you would have to be smoking something;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance Armstrong and Miguel Indurain!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one ball lance is still my favorite
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Jan's first doping offence IIRC was for recreational coke use, he was hammered and high on coke and crashed his porsche int a bike rack….full of bikes.

Actually it was for ecstasy and he was not racing at the time; he was recovering from knee issues. Instead of racing the Tour he apparently spent his time clubbing. The DUI and crash happened at another time.

He never showed up overweight at the Tour.
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:

I think her premature death and her incredible improvement leading into '88 provide a lot of proof.
Plus, those outfits she wore, you would have to be smoking something;)

Evidence, not proof. And not direct evidence.

And she had a congenital brain abnormality that made per pre-disposed to epileptic seizures. Which was determined to be the cause of death. So her death seems to be a pretty weak link to doping.

She was "too good" in 1988, though. Same with Michael Johnson in '96. But about all we have to go on is that some of their competitors were definitely doping and they still dominated. That's been a pretty good predictor of doping so far. But eventually we'll get one wrong. And that'd be a shame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Contador and Valverde. Both Spanish pros at doping, and also amazingly great bike racers that are entertaining to watch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greg Lemond as he was never caught and got out before he did!
Last edited by: BMANX: Feb 1, 15 8:06
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [Iamironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iamironman wrote:
Bill Clinton.

C'mon serious? What's the matter with you--? He said HE DIDN'T INHALE!
Quote Reply
Re: Who's your favorite doper? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine's a Spanish triathlete
Quote Reply

Prev Next