Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No it isnt bad :).. it is hilarious most of the time... and definitely pointless . I haven't heard a time frame on the mac release. I'd check into the Zwift website for specs on a p.c. they require a 1gb dedicated video card... and that means a power supply that can handle that as well. The rest is fairly standard. I chose to have my friend build a pc for me. That allowed me to pay him instead if an online distributor (he has 2 kids and I'd rather give him my money)...plus if I have an issue down the road it's as simple as hey buddy ya told me a turd fix it!

In searching for p.c.s that meet their requirements (and for me, the potential for B KOOL and Taxc) down the road... it was looking like more in the $250 and up range. There may be better deals out there but I didn't see any that stood out.

But then again I don't have any idea what my needs are so don't listen to me :)

"4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul"
Last edited by: warwicke36: Jan 26, 15 15:35
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [warwicke36] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
(and for me, the potential for B KOOL and Taxc) down the road...

If you're contemplating Tacx you might check out our software as well then. I think we offer competitive deal and quality of our videos is second to none. We've just opened our own riding network (it is rather primitive for now and for some time it will stay free as we add features). I would not call it strictly racing but basically you are visible on the road and can see others. What you do (ride along, race, etc) is your own choice.

Forgot to add, I am Zwifting as well every once in a while. I even managed to get (my avatar of course) to one of their online videos.
Last edited by: kostya416: Jan 26, 15 15:59
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kostya

Can you post a screenshot of your multirider solution? I've read about it but am having trouble visualizing how you have "people" appear and disappear when you are using real videos.

(sorry for the thread hyjack)
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [wjc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wjc wrote:
Kostya

Can you post a screenshot of your multirider solution? I've read about it but am having trouble visualizing how you have "people" appear and disappear when you are using real videos.

(sorry for the thread hyjack)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have any luck getting it up and running on a virtual machine yet? I have a mac with a Windows 7 vm and it crashes right away
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [kostya416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to try zwift. odd thing, I have the road machine when I registered with their signup, but have since gotten the inRide but can't change my settings anywhere
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [rlh212] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rlh212 wrote:
Anyone have any luck getting it up and running on a virtual machine yet? I have a mac with a Windows 7 vm and it crashes right away

O would not even try running apps with modern game type graphics on VM. The only thing it will accomplish in the very best case is to perform very slow. Usual
outcome will be crash. Put a Boot Camp on your Mac and be happy user
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got in the beta and am installing.... hopefully there is a way to create groups and slowtwitchers get one going, would be cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
warwicke36 wrote:
But then again I don't have any idea what my needs are so don't listen to me :)

I think the guy was just offering a cheap suggestion for a computer dedicated to Zwift. And then you blew up for whatever reason....

Anyway... back to Zwifting. Carry on.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dying to get an invite. Mac + power2max + Kurt Kinetic.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just did my first zwift ride - that was fun
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
youre all making me jealous! any word on how fast they're working through the waitlist? It was over 10k when I signed up a couple weeks ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my invite today, signed up two weeks ago. As far as I can surmise its largely dependant on the equipment youre using.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whats the most common setup? I have a computrainer, garmin hr and speed/cadence, and quarq power. Do I just plan on using the computrainer alone, or do I need the ant+ for everything else. wasn't sure if i even needed the powermeter if im using the computrainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [snaaijert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
snaaijert wrote:
As far as I can surmise its largely dependant (sic) on the equipment youre (sic) using.

Has to be, or maybe other profile information. After seeing this thread, I signed up a yesterday and got my invite 4 hours later. I'm going to have to guess that it was the Lemond Revolution with ANT+ power (Wattbox) and maybe location (Hawaii).
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for pointing out the spelling errors of someone posting from a smartphone with a native tongue other than English.

As far as specs (that's specifications) I submitted with a Powertap, and a Windows laptop, situated in The Netherlands.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [Kula] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think equipment had a lot to do with it. At first it was only power meters... then virtual power with Kurt kinetic and cycle ops fluid trainers. No idea what is coming. I do have a friend that uses his KIKR and it does vary resistance for hills. .. so they are doing a lot for sure.

If you have a Kurt kinetic or cycle ops fluid you may get in quicker if you go the virtual power route. Maybe not. I was lucky and got my invite on Christmas day. It took me a while to get it working due to my laptops poor specs. I did get it working with new drivers but it isn't optimal (still very fun) ... very curious to see how it looks with a proper p.c. from videos I have seen it looks spectacular.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the PC info. Do you know if I'll NEED a speed sensor on a JetFluid Pro trainer using a Quarq?
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [MTranquilli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTranquilli wrote:
youre all making me jealous! any word on how fast they're working through the waitlist? It was over 10k when I signed up a couple weeks ago.

I signed up and the next morning had an invite I have both PC and mac (no mac support yet) computrainer and powertap (that was tracked through dongle on pc)

I can see using computrainer real course to have my course set and zwift to keep me entertained with netflix as well

this winter will rock a whole lot more
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin83 wrote:
Thanks for the PC info. Do you know if I'll NEED a speed sensor on a JetFluid Pro trainer using a Quarq?

If you are going to use real power (Quarq) there is no need for a speed sensor. I have a speed sensor but it isn't synced to the game. My Zwift is only synced to HR and Stages PM. The speed that shows on my .fit file is what Zwift creates as my virtual speed in the game. The only time a speed sensor is required is if you need to run virtual power because you don't have a PM.

I had a buddy get accepted today with a Quarq, windows PC setup. I can also confirm there are KK, Fluid2, Powermeters, and Kickr's all roaming the island right now. The KK and fluid2 are pretty new.

I think the trick is to be on stable platform or be using the platform they are starting to test. For example - I believe PM and < 3 yr old windows PC is the pretty solid proven setup right now. KK and Fluid2 virtual power is in the new beta stages and being refined. I would guess other trainers and other PC types to come over time.
Quote Reply
Re: Who here is Zwifting? [cbs78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UP ARROW ... This. And I will say if you are used to Trainer Roads Virtual Power get ready for a "reality" check. Zwift's zPower fluctuates a lot. And is generally about 30 watts lower on weighted average after a ride. They are saying right now that they consider this normal (70 watt power swings at a given cadence.) Seems high to me having used a power meter for a while. I think they have their sampling rate for the speed sensor too frequently but that's just a guess.

Using a Quarc you should have no problem.

Last edited by: warwicke36: Jan 27, 15 13:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that the difference in Virtual power to trainer road is due to the "Z" in Zpower. Zwift is trying to do something special to recognize changes in speed. To illustrate - My power will increase and the speed will have a delayed reaction.. Basically I can do a large 1000 watt surge for 1 second and my "speed" would never get to the 1000w calcualted power because I need to hold 1000 watts long enough to accelerate and level off. This would put virtual power guys at a constant delayed reaction to power guys. PM can go from 0w to 1000w theoretically in one data point (second). Virtual power is always going to be slower to react. Zwift is trying to adjust their virtual power to recognize this and react to speed changes. It makes sense to me but I don't know how they are doing it. I'm guessing this is why the power bounces some. They have to be recognizing speed changes between data points as part of their calculation instead of just a straight speed to power calculation. Very interesting concept that I'm sure will take a little bit to get it smoother.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm Zwifting as well with a SuperMagneto trainer and Pioneer PM. Probably paying attention to Zwift (with music playing) about 50% of the time, the rest I'm doing structured workouts with Sufferfest Videos or watching some movies so not really paying attention (it does still run on a smaller screen though so I can keep racking up levels).

Never though did I imagine that before a workout I'd be setting up my laptop with an Ant+ stick for Zwift (displays on the laptop screen), an HDMI cable out to a 36" TV for movies, Sufferfest videos, etc. and an iPad to run the Zwift mobile app beside me. Using Training Peaks so I still record my workouts on my Garmin for easy syncing. Whatever happened to a loud stereo and some rollers?!?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, I got in my first Zwift ride last night. Pretty cool, I'd have to say.

Like some others I was mostly watching something else on another screen (rewatching the Wire in the new HD release), but it was kinda fun to check out the other riders and try some sprints.

Obviously, it's free in beta, I'm not sure I would sign up for the subscription service at this point. Maybe with some more structured trainings, but I can see it being a bigger advantage if you don't have your own power, similar to what TrainerRoad offers.

That's why I bought the Lemond Wattbox last year -- $10/month for power with TrainerRoad or a one-time $200 purchase? I'll go with the one-time purchase. I know TrainerRoad offers more than just virtual power, but that seems to be biggest selling point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next