Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [Ale Martinez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
Golden Cheetah v3.11 will have support for running, this is a brief summary of the features:
  • Garmin Running Dynamics data series are imported and the activity is automatically flagged as a run
  • Any activity can be flagged as a run setting Sport field to Run, several new metrics only need speed and, eventually, elevation.
  • isRun=1 can be used to filter running activities in charts
  • Pace zones based on CV/Threshold velocity can be defined for date ranges and personalized (up to 10 zones)
  • When pace zones are defined they enable:

• new running metrics such as time in zone and GOVSS
    • time in pace zone in summary chart
    • pace zone shading in speed histogram and mean-max charts
    • pace zone binning in speed histogram using user defined zones or polarized zones

This version is still in development, but there are builds stable enough to be tested on Windows (32/64) and Mac which can be downloaded from: http://goldencheetah.stand2surf.net/

Since this is and open source project, testing, feedback and collaboration are welcome!

Some progress report: we now have the power-duration models enabled for the speed mean-max chart

The classic two parameter CP model (metric units):

The GC Extended CP model (imperial units for pace):

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. And good timing with TrainingPeaks' prices going up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ale Martinez wrote:
marcag wrote:
Ale Martinez wrote:

So is IsRun=1 filter also working? Only problem is activity list in Trends-Summary chart?

The partition of activities in Trends-Summary is a new addition, It is working in my case but I will check the code, thanks for reporting!

isRun=1 does not work. It does not give an error, but it brings up 0 activities
Sport="Run" does work.

To debug this I would need to see one of these files, they are in the user folder (location available in about box) under activities, name is date/time and extension .json, if you don't mind sharing one of them my e-mail is amtriathlon at gmail dot com

PS: I made a mistake above, it is isRun not IsRun.

Add me to the list with marcag -- my runs aren't showing up either. I imported all my data from Garmin Connect as .tcx files; however, none of the runs are showing up as runs.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
Add me to the list with marcag -- my runs aren't showing up either. I imported all my data from Garmin Connect as .tcx files; however, none of the runs are showing up as runs.

Did you manually go in and set the sport to "Run"

While the Trends->Summary screen shows them as rides, I am able to generate reports on Time in Zone, PMC charts etc on the runs
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did not -- so will I have to go to each run and manually type in "Run"?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
I did not -- so will I have to go to each run and manually type in "Run"?

I am not sure what the magic is to get it to automatically recognize as a run, but that will do it

If I upload the tcx that comes from the watch (in the history directory), it knows it's a run and calculates GOVSS but doesn't set the sport
If I upload the fit that comes from the watch (in the activities directory), it doesn't. I have to set it manually
If I sync from Training peaks, it knows it's a run and gets the flag set automagically

Syncing from TP does some strange stuff for me, which I think we are still trying to figure out.

From what I can see, the GOVSS scoring is pretty good. I am getting almost identical numbers to Raceday. PMC charts and time in pace zones seem to work fine for running.

I bet these guys could get swimming in before WKO4 releases :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went through and typed in "Run" in the sport tab and still no luck trying to get them filtered.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
I went through and typed in "Run" in the sport tab and still no luck trying to get them filtered.

In the current development Windows build(s) there is a problem with isRun() filter, to work around this limitation Sport field should be set to Run for running activities and Sport="Run" used as a replacement filter. Trends->Summary still will list all activities as rides but all other features should be working, AFAIK.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I'm getting the hang of the program a bit more, but it doesn't seem to be calculating COVSS. The values are only 0 or 1 on my runs. It seems to be aware they're runs, though

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
So I'm getting the hang of the program a bit more, but it doesn't seem to be calculating COVSS. The values are only 0 or 1 on my runs. It seems to be aware they're runs, though

If you are new to GC here are some points to check:
  1. To enable GOVSS calculation you need to define Pace Training Zones for a date range including the runs, similar to Power Zones in version 3.1: https://github.com/...ete_Training%20Zones
  2. To see GOVSS in summary you need to add this metric in preferences: https://github.com/..._Preferences_Metrics
  3. To have a GOVSS based PMC you need to create a new chart in Trends view, possibly using one of the predefined PMCs as a model: https://github.com/...10_ChartTypes_Trends

In the final version there will be predefined charts for running and the wiki will be updated, this is a development version yet.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Dec 15, 14 5:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Ale,

I recently discovered GC and I am very impressed. While I am using RubyTrack and decently happy with it, I believe your app bring a tons new analyze to my bikes. And with the new implementation of runs, I am trying to see if I can switch from RT to GC.

Re the charts, I have some questions:
- is there a way to have a PMC chart for all activities (bikes and runs, or ski etc)? This would be very important to me to have an overall view of my fitness level.
- if the above is not yet possible, then what metrics should I use to create a PMC solely for runs? I started using the predefined PMC (TRIMP) which uses TRIMP STS and TRIMP LTS and Skiba Stress Balance but I get 0 for Skiba as it uses Power as expected. Is there a way to include the GOVSS data into the graph?

I also have a tiny question: I remember the fist time I used the app, under Trends, on the left side I have Charts, and if I was selecting on of them I could see them immediately on the center screen. Not anymore! Not sure what I did, but does not work (both on v3.10 or 3.11). In order to see the graphs now I have to add them individually.

Many thanks for a great app and for your all dedication,
Serban
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [meste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Serban!

meste wrote:
- is there a way to have a PMC chart for all activities (bikes and runs, or ski etc)? This would be very important to me to have an overall view of my fitness level.

Not yet, there will be one when we finished adding SwimScore, which is in progress. In the meantime you can add estimates of TSS as explained in the FAQ (or any other metrics available for PMC) to other sports activities to have a combined PMC, and then filter by sport to see each sport separately.

meste wrote:
- if the above is not yet possible, then what metrics should I use to create a PMC solely for runs? I started using the predefined PMC (TRIMP) which uses TRIMP STS and TRIMP LTS and Skiba Stress Balance but I get 0 for Skiba as it uses Power as expected. Is there a way to include the GOVSS data into the graph?

To make a GOVSS based PMC (there will be one present on release) you can use PMC(skiba) as model and replace skiba_lts for govss_lts and so on.

meste wrote:
I also have a tiny question: I remember the fist time I used the app, under Trends, on the left side I have Charts, and if I was selecting on of them I could see them immediately on the center screen. Not anymore! Not sure what I did, but does not work (both on v3.10 or 3.11). In order to see the graphs now I have to add them individually.

At the bottom of the sidebar there are tiny icons to show/hide options shown. You can always go back to the initial layout using View->Reset Layout

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Ale,

I will dig into this and hope to handle it.

Maybe a bug or so, I realized that some, not all, of my imported workouts do not have the map, although they exist. I have imported a single TCX file into another program me and the map is ok, but in GC they have no data. I do have altimeter data, only no LAT and LON. Maybe will help you somehow this info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Ale,

You mentioned: "Not yet, there will be one when we finished adding SwimScore, which is in progress. In the meantime you can add estimates of TSS as explained in the FAQ (or any other metrics available for PMC) to other sports activities to have a combined PMC, and then filter by sport to see each sport separately. "

This sounds very worthy looking into it. I checked the FAQ but I feel silly that I did not understand how to do it. I created a PMC based on GOVSS but it does not take into account the bikes workout so unless I am doing something wrong I do not see how to incorporate all sports. So your estimate TSS seems the way forward.

Could you please help?

Thanks,
Serban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dear Ale,

You said: "At the bottom of the sidebar there are tiny icons to show/hide options shown. You can always go back to the initial layout using View->Reset Layout"

I just reset the layout, but still, if in Trends, if I select a chart from the left menu, nothing happens. Or maybe this is suppose to happen…

Thanks,
Serban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meste wrote:
Dear Ale,

You said: "At the bottom of the sidebar there are tiny icons to show/hide options shown. You can always go back to the initial layout using View->Reset Layout"

I just reset the layout, but still, if in Trends, if I select a chart from the left menu, nothing happens. Or maybe this is suppose to happen…

Thanks,
Serban

Serban, I would suggest you give a look at the wiki, for example charts selection in the sidebar is explained here

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply, meanwhile I found myself where was the culprit - I had to select the User sidebar chart settings - now the side charts are working

many thanks

PS Maybe you can help me with the other question when you have some time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, as I said before, the PMC (govss) it is run only and there is no yet a combined PMC, as a workaround you can build one using TSS with manual override for the activities without power using the govss value as a proxy.
Metric override is also explained in the wiki: https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenCheetah/wiki/UG_ChartTypes_Rides#details

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Jan 7, 15 7:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, thanks for the input, as I think it is too much to hassle with (manually adding all this data, not even sure where exactly to add it) I will wait for the stable version which I understand will have a global PMC.

So looking forward for the next release,
Serban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it is a good idea, the development versions are oriented for experienced users willing to test new feature, probably not ideal for first time users.

BTW, in the released version (3.1) there is a global PMC ready to use if you have HR data: PMC(TRIMP)

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea when the next stable release will go live?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
meste wrote:
Any idea when the next stable release will go live?

Probably during Q1.
There was a complete change on the metrics repository to enhance performance, concurrency and consistency of updates which took time and requires more testing,
here is a demo showing concurrent updates: http://vimeo.com/115766264
In the meantime we are also incorporating support for the new Garmin Cycling Dynamics metrics and swimming.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks simply great! Well done for what I see is a result only made by dedicated people like you.

Looking fwd for this release. Meanwhile I managed to do a PMC based on TRIMP which considers Runs and Bike and one on GOVSS only for Runs.

Serban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, this is so exciting for me. I hate that my mileage is always skewed when I import runs to GC and it treats them as rides. I use TRIMPS to determine stress score, LTstress, and STstress. Will there be any other stress scores that can be calculated that combine Run stress and cycling stress outside of HR-derived Stress scores?

Thanks for the update!

Dtyrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Running support in Golden Cheetah 3.11 [Dtyrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dtyrrell wrote:
Will there be any other stress scores that can be calculated that combine Run stress and cycling stress outside of HR-derived Stress scores?

Yes, the idea is to have one based on power-speed including SwimScore, OTOH we already have SessionRPE, which in v3.11 also may be used to build a combined PMC.

Ale Martinez
www.amtriathlon.com
Last edited by: Ale Martinez: Jan 8, 15 14:23
Quote Reply

Prev Next