Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [sportstats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately I'm not having much luck clearing the ads... the feed keeps stopping every 30 sec or so, then on pressing Play again the ads restart. Sigh...

Edited: Got it working now! Woo yeah!
Last edited by: surroundhound: Sep 30, 14 19:35
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got to say, the broadcast of the World Championship was awesome. Of course, we all would have liked to have seen it sooner, but what a stacked field!

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The coverage was HORRIBLE! Coverage of a 3 hour and 41+ minute race in 40 minutes SUCKS and does NOTHING for the sport. What a waste. It is crazy how much better it could be.

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DAMMIT!! I just saw this thread now. Is there a link for it??

Does anyone know if I can watch it now???

THANKS
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [tridiego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was saddened by the coverage.

Where were the split times, and gap times? The production of this show was done after the race, so they had plenty of time to go through the timing mat data, and give us some drama with real world numbers.

I am a big racing fan. ANYTHING trips my trigger, Nascar, F1, cycling, whatever.. When watching those three sports there is one constant.. They are CONSTANTLY updating you with gaps and relative speeds. All three of them have a scroll at the top or bottom showing the relative position of the leaders to each other, and they are doing it LIVE.. Certainly the production team on this show could work out a couple story lines, where they show Sanders running pace and show that he is closing it down, or give us Wurtles distance to leader as she is mowing through the womens field.. Or how about just a bit of historical relevance.. It took about 38 minutes for WTC to even "admit" that Gomez competes in something other than WTC races.. Lol..

Overall, I give the coverage a D. I had honestly hoped (and believed) that the production value would be as good as that of the ITU recaps that are shown on Universal Sports (also owned by NBC).

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
Where were the split times, and gap times? The production of this show was done after the race, so they had plenty of time to go through the timing mat data, and give us some drama with real world numbers.

I agree, that would have been nice. Additionally, Gomez was 10th out of T2. Would have liked to have seen the 8 passes they didn't broadcast (if they had the footage).

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:

I am a big racing fan. ANYTHING trips my trigger, Nascar, F1, cycling, whatever.. When watching those three sports there is one constant.. They are CONSTANTLY updating you with gaps and relative speeds. All three of them have a scroll at the top or bottom showing the relative position of the leaders to each other, and they are doing it LIVE.. Certainly the production team on this show could work out a couple story lines, where they show Sanders running pace and show that he is closing it down, or give us Wurtles distance to leader as she is mowing through the womens field.. Or how about just a bit of historical relevance.. It took about 38 minutes for WTC to even "admit" that Gomez competes in something other than WTC races.. Lol..

Overall, I give the coverage a D. I had honestly hoped (and believed) that the production value would be as good as that of the ITU recaps that are shown on Universal Sports (also owned by NBC).

I'd have to agree on this one. Every other sport/race seems to understand this. They had a month to throw it together. A month!

I did find it awkward when they interviewed Gomez and he said "I got one world championship last weekend, I wouldn't mind another". If you didn't already follow triathlon / missed to boat, you wouldn't know what he was talking about. Only later did they say he won the ITU standings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The major problem is they are airing these recorded races for those that do not race. They are simply advertisements for ironman events. That is why they SUCK MAJORLY for those already immersed in the sport.

There are two places that Ironman should invest:

1. Live, online video coverage. And I mean decent coverage. multiple cameras on the mens leaders, women leaders, and the fastest AG athletes.
2. Online tracking. No explanation needed

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridiego wrote:
The major problem is they are airing these recorded races for those that do not race. They are simply advertisements for ironman events.

I was thinking about that.. I wonder how many non competitors they have tuning in to NBC Sports on a Tuesday nigh at 10pm?

I know their focus demographic when they are airing in the fall AGAINST the NFL.. And they probably hit that demographic pretty well.

But I would have to imagine that most of their eyeballs on a weeknight ARE in fact triathletes. I could be way off on this, but the difference between Sunday afternoon on NBC DURING NFL season, and NBC Sports on a random Tuesday has got to be HUGE..

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
tridiego wrote:
The major problem is they are airing these recorded races for those that do not race. They are simply advertisements for ironman events.

I was thinking about that.. I wonder how many non competitors they have tuning in to NBC Sports on a Tuesday nigh at 10pm?

I know their focus demographic when they are airing in the fall AGAINST the NFL.. And they probably hit that demographic pretty well.

But I would have to imagine that most of their eyeballs on a weeknight ARE in fact triathletes. I could be way off on this, but the difference between Sunday afternoon on NBC DURING NFL season, and NBC Sports on a random Tuesday has got to be HUGE..

You are probably right with regards to time and viewers for this airing, however I don't believe that is there goal. The production is absolutely not for the triathlete actually interested in the race. If it is, then the end product only speaks to how disconnected the production staff is to the sport. I tend to want to make concessions because they are forced to produce a long race into an a 40 minute spot (not including commercials), but even then they could have done a MUCH better job actually following the race.

It sucked.

The coverage that used to air on Universal Sports was much better, not great, but much better.

-----

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice summation. It was pretty bad.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One last comment before I bow out of my "critiquing" of this show..

Somehow during the interview they get Frodeno to say "I have never won a World Champioship, but would really like to"

What a farse! The guy was Olympic champion for the love of god. Does that not count in WTC World? What an injustice to the guy.. WTC wants to "work" with their pros, but they take a former Olympic champion and act like hasn't won anything before.

I wonder how much interview and footage tape they had to cut through to get that little audio gem? What does a guy like Frodeno think when he sees the final product and a quote like that is taken COMPLETELY OUT OF CONTEXT and then aired as the TRUTH?

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tridiego wrote:
The major problem is they are airing these recorded races for those that do not race. They are simply advertisements for ironman events. That is why they SUCK MAJORLY for those already immersed in the sport.

1. Live, online video coverage. And I mean decent coverage. multiple cameras on the mens leaders, women leaders, and the fastest AG athletes.

The odd part was that the commercials were aimed squarely at the triathlete/endurance athlete. Every commercial break featured an ad for the ironman store, the spartan race was featured a few times, and most of the other commercials were 'outdoorsy.' Whoever is running the advertising department over at ironman seems to understand that most viewers are already sold on IM. Why doesn't the production crew?

The thing is, it isn't like these are novel ideas or that conflict with some of the elements aimed at the 'softer' (personal interest stories, mainly). All they had to do was fill in some of the details. Most of their commentary was vague. "So and so in first, chased by this other guy" Yes, but it doesn't cost you anything to say how far, or how they're gaining. Last year's kona coverage did this well enough with how they showed Carfrae chasing everyone down (could have used more splits, but now we're nitpicking). Just tell us how far back that person is.

In my opinion the worst was how they covered IM Melbourne earlier in the evening, and shows the root of the issue: out of each transition and at the end they showed placing, not time. A quick lookup on Ironman.com by the graphics department would have solved this. They have the data already in hand.
Last edited by: timbasile: Oct 1, 14 6:30
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [Ellsworth53T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The IMMT special sucked as well. Like I give a shit about the fight for that one Kona slot in the M65-69 AG. Half the coverage was on a bunch of old dudes.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Aust1227 wrote:

I'd have to agree on this one. Every other sport/race seems to understand this. They had a month to throw it together. A month!

I did find it awkward when they interviewed Gomez and he said "I got one world championship last weekend, I wouldn't mind another". If you didn't already follow triathlon / missed to boat, you wouldn't know what he was talking about. Only later did they say he won the ITU standings.

I agree too. The ITU coverage this season has generally been better in this regard, with regular splits between the lead and chase bike groups being given, and similar discussion about gaps as GJ has been chasing down the run leaders. But I've found coverage of WTC races has always been remiss in keeping viewers plugged in to what's really happening on the road. The sport is boring enough to watch as it is, given the slow pace that events tend to unfold, so any available excitement and tension should be capitalised on.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 wrote:
The IMMT special sucked as well. Like I give a shit about the fight for that one Kona slot in the M65-69 AG. Half the coverage was on a bunch of old dudes.

As an 'old dude' myself (61), I kinda enjoyed watching those guys. Equal time for us old guys... ;)

Better than following some celebrity entrant who has no background in the sport.

Just sayin'

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [Redcorvette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the coverage was bad. i watched half of the asia pacific and all of the IMMT and was hoping it would improve for the 70.3 WC. but it did not.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
tridiego wrote:

The odd part was that the commercials were aimed squarely at the triathlete/endurance athlete. Every commercial break featured an ad for the ironman store, the spartan race was featured a few times, and most of the other commercials were 'outdoorsy.' Whoever is running the advertising department over at ironman seems to understand that most viewers are already sold on IM. Why doesn't the production crew?

The thing is, it isn't like these are novel ideas or that conflict with some of the elements aimed at the 'softer' (personal interest stories, mainly). All they had to do was fill in some of the details. Most of their commentary was vague. "So and so in first, chased by this other guy" Yes, but it doesn't cost you anything to say how far, or how they're gaining. Last year's kona coverage did this well enough with how they showed Carfrae chasing everyone down (could have used more splits, but now we're nitpicking). Just tell us how far back that person is.

In my opinion the worst was how they covered IM Melbourne earlier in the evening, and shows the root of the issue: out of each transition and at the end they showed placing, not time. A quick lookup on Ironman.com by the graphics department would have solved this. They have the data already in hand.

I think you and Aust1227 have successfully refuted my claim that it was made for non triathletes. If that is true, it means they really really don't know their audience and did a horrible job for reasons stated by others above. If it is not true, and they made it for non triathletes as a promotional piece, then they really got their paths crossed with their advertising sales team, as you mentioned above.

It's all a mess, really.

-----

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to find out who won!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aQ9pyhiPAI

French version and a bit blurry but at least this video is a bit longer that what is usually going around on the internet
Quote Reply

Prev Next