Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS
Quote | Reply
10pm ET. Who's excited?

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Last edited by: antonbp: Sep 8, 14 15:45
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wanted to see it live and not in the U.S. so meh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please...NO SPOILERS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not interested. If I watch a race I want to see it live.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Only reason I'd of watched the race live is if I knew someone in it. Once upon a time - yes I'd stay up and watch it because I knew people in the race, but these days 4 hours of my time whether middle of the night or middle of the day....there's no way I'm sitting there for 4 hours watching an IM event. Tour de France for sure, if it's a mountain stage or Ardennes and it'll be exciting. But watching a 70.3.....I don't think so. Boring as bat shit.

Would much rather check the twotter in the AM and see who wins and then watch the highlights in a well produced package.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually I look forward to watching this. But, and this depends on how much effort Mt. Tremblant & Canada & Quebec tourism and the Ironman corporation (and NBC I suppose) put into the production of the show, but I will probably fast forward through most of the swim, and depending on my mood and what time of day I watch it (I like to PVR), I will probably fast forward though a good portion of the bike and run if it is anything like an ITU race broadcast.

If however they do more of an 'NFL' style broadcast, with lots of graphics (maps, course records, pro profiles) then I'm more likely to watch the whole thing even though I know the result.

By the way, thanks for the heads up, hopefully the PVR would have caught it anyway.

Edit because S.Steve got in just before me. No way would I watch a 4-5 hour World Triathlon (nor would I watch pretty much any 4-5 hour sporting event in one sitting, and I like watching sports!) My comments were based on MY assumption that the NBC production would be an edited 1-2 show. (which I would still probably ......see above)
Last edited by: Tri Bread: Sep 8, 14 16:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they going to replay the stationary run cam for 3 hours, then cut to the finish line cam?

Sounds awesome.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny.

But I noticed at Muskoka 70.3 this weekend that they had 2 drone cameras working. Any idea what the quality is from these things? Are they worthwhile other than the swim start? Does their technology right now require a lag between recording, stabilizing image, and broadcasting?

Just wondering?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wish I could have seen it live. I wonder if the ratings for the nbc broadcast would have been better live. Its not a lot of fun watching a sporting event when you know the outcome already.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Actually I look forward to watching this. But, and this depends on how much effort Mt. Tremblant & Canada & Quebec tourism and the Ironman corporation (and NBC I suppose) put into the production of the show, but I will probably fast forward through most of the swim, and depending on my mood and what time of day I watch it (I like to PVR), I will probably fast forward though a good portion of the bike and run if it is anything like an ITU race broadcast.

If however they do more of an 'NFL' style broadcast, with lots of graphics (maps, course records, pro profiles) then I'm more likely to watch the whole thing even though I know the result.

By the way, thanks for the heads up, hopefully the PVR would have caught it anyway.

Edit because S.Steve got in just before me. No way would I watch a 4-5 hour World Triathlon (nor would I watch pretty much any 4-5 hour sporting event in one sitting, and I like watching sports!) My comments were based on MY assumption that the NBC production would be an edited 1-2 show. (which I would still probably ......see above)

NBCSN broadcasted the 2013 IMMT race a couple months ago. Its an hour long, Kona style broadcast where you see about 1min of actual race footage and 59 minutes of personal interest stories. I am expecting the same for this. They will provide highlights of the top 5 in each pro gender and then the rest of the time will focus on Dave Mirra, Apollo Ono type folks and someone who runs for a charity with a disability.

Sorry for the spoiler...would be great if they'd just broadcast the race, but the masses don't like that as much.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [Furious D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furious D wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:

NBCSN broadcasted the 2013 IMMT race a couple months ago. Its an hour long, Kona style broadcast where you see about 1min of actual race footage and 59 minutes of personal interest stories. I am expecting the same for this. They will provide highlights of the top 5 in each pro gender and then the rest of the time will focus on Dave Mirra, Apollo Ono type folks and someone who runs for a charity with a disability.

Sorry for the spoiler...would be great if they'd just broadcast the race, but the masses don't like that as much.

Do the masses care about personal interest stories in a HIM? Kona is legendary and many people are aware of the full distance and think of it as a huge challenge.. but half of it.. in cool Tremblant? IMO the personal interest stories lose a bit of their appeal for both us STers and the masses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder if there was a clause in the NBCSports contract regarding "no live coverage" to help increase viewership at the end of the month.

My bigger concern is this becoming the new norm with the money machine and what's gonna happen...especially with the Kona coverage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can someone record it and then upload to piratebay? Overseas people deserve an opportunity to see it and WTC deserve to to have it on piratebay I reckon.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Funny.

But I noticed at Muskoka 70.3 this weekend that they had 2 drone cameras working. Any idea what the quality is from these things? Are they worthwhile other than the swim start? Does their technology right now require a lag between recording, stabilizing image, and broadcasting?

Just wondering?

Drone camera from IMMT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NwDH6f6hK4

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those of us north of the border, I believe sportsnet is supposed to do the same broadcast of IMMT, IMC, 70.3WC and Kona. Anyone know when the 70.3 World's are supposed to be on Sportsnet? Is it 9/30 as well? Wish we could get NBCSN up here!
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cl60guy wrote:
For those of us north of the border, I believe sportsnet is supposed to do the same broadcast of IMMT, IMC, 70.3WC and Kona. Anyone know when the 70.3 World's are supposed to be on Sportsnet? Is it 9/30 as well? Wish we could get NBCSN up here!

As far as I can see, it'll be on Sportsnet ONE on Monday October 6th at 11:00pm EST
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [lordhong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In other news, is there any word on when they will air Kona? Last heard sometime early November but no date so far...
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMMT was aired last night on Sportnet with 2 hours of coverage. I did not watch it yet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The better question is why isn't this live or almost live? I'm not talking about a live feed, but every other sport manages to do this live. Why cant IM or 70.3 events? Even a day later since i suspect it is edit heavy, but a month afterwards?

Even cycling, with sometimes a 6+ hour race does the last 2 hours live and recaps on the fly.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
The better question is why isn't this live or almost live? I'm not talking about a live feed, but every other sport manages to do this live. Why cant IM or 70.3 events? Even a day later since i suspect it is edit heavy, but a month afterwards?

Even cycling, with sometimes a 6+ hour race does the last 2 hours live and recaps on the fly.

Cost.

It's pricey to put on a live broadcast of an event like a triathlon. Easier to shoot footage and stitch together after.
That WTC didn't feel that was worth it shows it's relevance to them...
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but I think in this case, their production value standard is too high. They're aiming for kona/70.3 WC to be in the realm of "special event" in terms of broadcast quality, which takes a while to get the production values up. What they should be shooting for is "sports event" which is much cheaper, and doesn't have the same lag time.

Having these things as special events on NBC makes for good viewing, but it doesn't grow the sport the same way as a regular "Sunday Triathlon" broadcast would. Then again, I suppose it wouldn't be on NBC if that was the case. More like - 3rd tier specialty package channel.
Last edited by: timbasile: Sep 30, 14 8:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will it be available online?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [tovi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to know as well. I don't get tv.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Yeah, but I think in this case, their production value standard is too high. They're aiming for kona/70.3 WC to be in the realm of "special event" in terms of broadcast quality, which takes a while to get the production values up. What they should be shooting for is "sports event" which is much cheaper, and doesn't have the same lag time.

Having these things as special events on NBC makes for good viewing, but it doesn't grow the sport the same way as a regular "Sunday Triathlon" broadcast would. Then again, I suppose it wouldn't be on NBC if that was the case. More like - 3rd tier specialty package channel.

We just wouldn't be interested in triathlon unless they show endless slow motion shots and victim stories.

Funny... didn't see any slow-mo or victim stories on the ITU coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 WC will air 9/30 on NBC SPORTS [Ironma'am] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went to the NBCSN website and you can if you have an account with a cable service provide such as ATT Uverse, RCN, etc. I have a "borrowed" Comcast account but those bastards dont carry NBCSN so I'm SOL :(
Last edited by: tovi: Sep 30, 14 9:07
Quote Reply

Prev Next