Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
So the question is, how big does the deterrent need to be in order to remove that net benefit. WADA has already decided that a 2-year ban was insufficient, and they are moving to a 4-year ban on Jan 1, 2015. The question is, really, is a 4-year ban even sufficient to remove any net benefit. And the answer is not clearly yes. It may be that only permanent banning will work, at least for some offenses. Michael Milken's crimes, but also his knowledge, residual wealth, and influence all led the SEC to decide that he required a lifetime ban from securities trading. That's the same argument that I think is applicable in certain doping cases. I think it was clear Milken could never be "just another trader" ever again. It's not clear that someone can be "just another athlete" ever again, but there are signs pointing that way (in certain cases).

THAT is the argument against second chances. IMO, anyway...

And the worst part of 2 years ban is : like you said doping is mostly used for training, now an athlete who takes two years but from day 1 knows he will come back (sometimes they made enough money with doping to not had to work during the 2 years ban !) can train out of the radar ! And often they come back "clean" and miraculously "stronger" all at the same time ahahah !
I remember reading somewhere Michie Weiss was still controlled during his ban, not sure if this is correct ? If that's the case, he was probably one of the very very few. Most of the guys have no licence during the ban period, so no reason to be controlled nor localized, they can have an easy life of strong doping and hard training without any risk. Then they can come back with like you said maybe the same as 6 years or 8 years of training, nice :-) .

Looking forward to the start of the 4 years bans and hopefully more and more lifetime bans !
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyf wrote:
Rappstar wrote:
So the question is, how big does the deterrent need to be in order to remove that net benefit. WADA has already decided that a 2-year ban was insufficient, and they are moving to a 4-year ban on Jan 1, 2015. The question is, really, is a 4-year ban even sufficient to remove any net benefit. And the answer is not clearly yes. It may be that only permanent banning will work, at least for some offenses. Michael Milken's crimes, but also his knowledge, residual wealth, and influence all led the SEC to decide that he required a lifetime ban from securities trading. That's the same argument that I think is applicable in certain doping cases. I think it was clear Milken could never be "just another trader" ever again. It's not clear that someone can be "just another athlete" ever again, but there are signs pointing that way (in certain cases).

THAT is the argument against second chances. IMO, anyway...

And the worst part of 2 years ban is : like you said doping is mostly used for training, now an athlete who takes two years but from day 1 knows he will come back (sometimes they made enough money with doping to not had to work during the 2 years ban !) can train out of the radar ! And often they come back "clean" and miraculously "stronger" all at the same time ahahah !
I remember reading somewhere Michie Weiss was still controlled during his ban, not sure if this is correct ? If that's the case, he was probably one of the very very few. Most of the guys have no licence during the ban period, so no reason to be controlled nor localized, they can have an easy life of strong doping and hard training without any risk. Then they can come back with like you said maybe the same as 6 years or 8 years of training, nice :-) .

Looking forward to the start of the 4 years bans and hopefully more and more lifetime bans !

Pretty sure that testing continues during a ban.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Runguy wrote:
Please dear lord let me just as good and as righteous as the Slowtwitchers in this thread

How many people here do you think have been convicted of an ethical/criminal offense so great that it got them banned from their profession for two years? Or even simply fired from their job?

Sorry we're raising ethical bar too high for you.

Well, Andrew Wakefield is one...
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Runguy wrote:
Please dear lord let me just as good and as righteous as the Slowtwitchers in this thread

How many people here do you think have been convicted of an ethical/criminal offense so great that it got them banned from their profession for two years? Or even simply fired from their job?

please see previous answer for my response . also, probably not as many as one would think
Last edited by: Runguy: Sep 8, 14 4:27
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
I never said I was. I do this for fun and for the exercise. Now the fun is getting suck right out of it. I will shut my mouth and not care any more. If that is the way you want it.

I was a big fan of yours.. Was...

I respect your disdain for Colom, but you have handled yourself poorly, and said some stupid things to him, and here on this post.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a problem with your argument about pro tour cyclists all having 6w/kg ftp and therefore being better athletes. It's best demonstrated with a list of cyclists who got a ftp of 6w/kg without doping:

list over.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:

I respect your disdain for Colom, but you have handled yourself poorly, and said some stupid things to him, and here on this post.

Wow, tough crowd...

For the guys at the pointy end of the AG race, there is a lot of emotion and effort on the line, so I ask, haven't you ever been in the heat of the moment and reacted strongly before?
Well, I sure have.

Dan is someone I respect greatly in this sport and will continue to do so.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Last edited by: Fred D: Sep 8, 14 5:33
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whether you know Dan or not, you have to appreciate his passion and dedication to laying it down like he does. I challenge that very few of us have ever been in the position to be called the best, only to be beaten by a character with a questionable past.

I agree 100% that Dan needs to channel his energy in to his final weeks of preparation for Kona. Waging a war of words here against the ST Army will do little good. Let your legs do the talking in October.

Colom could find out that karma can be a bitch on the Big Island. Make sure you're doing everything you can to end up on the right side of it.

Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the AG awards video.

https://m.facebook.com/...p;id=193643957386948

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Fred D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fred D wrote:
in the heat of the moment .

Perhaps we have a different definition of "moment"..

I learned a very valuable lesson from Herm Edwards, its called "DON'T HIT SEND"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H27l-de9OjI

I would opine that a pre planned confrontation on the podium, and ST posts more than 8 hours after the event are a little beyond the "heat of the moment"

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [MI TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI TRI wrote:
I agree 100% that Dan needs to channel his energy in to his final weeks of preparation for Kona.

Agree.

Positive energy for Kona only at this stage is the only solution from here on in.

Founder of THE TRIATHLON COLLECTIVE (Closed Facebook Group). A SBR discussion group without the white noise/trolling!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree.....
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure I never said all cyclists will be at 6 or greater w/kg.

But here is something that would benefit a lot of people on this thread and on ST in general.

http://sportsscientists.com/.

I'd suggest that many people on this thread could spend a few hours on there and benefit greatly in their knowledge of cycling performance in general. They might be able to grasp how good of a cyclist colom had to be in order to get to the level where he could be doped. The number of triathletes in the world capable of that can be counted on both hands and you can still hold a coffee cup.

Couple of points to think about as well in the context of performance:

I know several 5.4-5.6 w/kg at FTP guys that rode for the equivalent of Domestic Elite teams (think Stanz's No Tubes or KHS/Maxxis) or on Continental teams think (Optum or 5hr Energy or Jelly Belly). All really good cyclist and if they showed up at the local group ride in most areas of the country, triathletes would be left crying on the side of the road while they disappeared up the road.
But those guys at 5.45-.65 didn't have enough horsepower to go higher to say a United Healthcare team, and a lot of the guys on the UHC level aren't going to be able to produce the horsepower to get to the next level no matter how much they train.

Using the 70kg rider I mentioned earlier most triathletes at 300w for FTP are going to be 100w below a guy like colom..even now. And most triathletes aren't at 300w for an FTP.

take a guy like Chris Lieto. Super awesome triathlete at riding his bike, mediocre domestic pro cyclist with zero hope of ever making a team like UHC. Zero.

There is a reason why some really, really awesomely fast riding triathletes failed at bike racing when they tried it as a pro, World Champion triathletes even like Spencer Smith. Ivan Rana comes to mind as a guy who lasted a year in pro cycling before being told to stick with triathlon.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Runguy wrote:

Well, Andrew Wakefield is one...

Wait, Andrew Wakefield was a ST forum member? Did he claim vaccinations caused poor swim performance? Did we believe him?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:

I'd suggest that many people on this thread could spend a few hours on there and benefit greatly in their knowledge of cycling performance in general. They might be able to grasp how good of a cyclist colom had to be in order to get to the level where he could be doped. The number of triathletes in the world capable of that can be counted on both hands and you can still hold a coffee cup.

Why would he have to be better than all but the very best few triathlete cyclists before he was at a level where he could be doped? We have Cat 3 cyclists here in New York who are injecting EPO. I am sure there are guys that dope to get to domestic elite or conti teams and just don't have the legs to get any further, even on the juice. I'm not saying Colom does not have talent as a cyclist, but I am saying he doped before. He just put down the best overall bike split at a 70.3 worlds with probably the most talented field ever, beating guys that Lance even lost to. It is reasonable to not give this guy the benefit of the doubt, and it is reasonable to call him out as a doper, because it was proven already. As far as I know, he has never even made a statement of apology, or in support of clean sport or anything. Just races amateur triathlon after getting the boot from cycling, and makes no statements whatsoever. Doesn't even have a facebook or twitter acct that I know of.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
danstu4 wrote:
I never said I was. I do this for fun and for the exercise. Now the fun is getting suck right out of it. I will shut my mouth and not care any more. If that is the way you want it.

Have you ever had a spot on the podium affected by a cheater? Stood there and had to watch him/her celebrate? I haven't so can't really comment what I would do, but it would be hard to stand there and do nothing. I agree this could have been handled much better while probably getting his point across a little better (a la the Dopers Suck shirt), but to judge him by it is wrong. Yes he did say he would say something on the podium, which I see nothing wrong with, the physical part (which is where it went to far in my mind) was probably more impromptu after getting fired up "in the moment"
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
Pete Rose chose his path. He didn't HAVE to get banned for life and there are way more people that find his ban outrageous than those who don't.

I know way more people who have given marriages a second chance than those who don't. Dr's get them all the time. Don't argue a point with things that have a higher percentage of giving second chances than ones that don't.

Look at the head coach of the Louisville Cardinals football team. He was definitely given one and is making good of it. Michael Vick is another. Just because someone did something bad once doesn't mean they are garbage for life.

Ever drive your car above the speed limit? Breaking a rule or law is breaking a rule or law isn't it? Does that mean we should all be banned from driving a car ever again? And don't hand me an excuse or say that's different than breaking a rule in cycling. A rule is a rule.

There are many many lawyers who get disbarred every year for ethical offenses. Many doctors every year lose their license for ethical offenses. Drivers, pilots, general contractors. In certain professions, there are offenses that are minor enough to allow a punishment that falls short of a lifetime ban from practicing their trade and there are offenses so severe (Often they are the ones that demonstrate intent to harm others for your own benefit) that the person has forfeited their right to participate in that activity or profession. In endurance sports, there is a good argument that doping EPO or similar products is one of those offenses.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
windschatten wrote:
This should raise some eyebrows if this is adjusted for wave start

What does 'Colom by six feet' mean?

He buried everyone else? /pink

It's too bad that Colom is beating up on AG and not fighting it out with the pros. He's clearly at that level. I don't see the sport in that. It's kind of like shooting fish in a barrel. I wonder if there's a legal reason he hasn't gone pro. He knows how to train and do all the things necessary to be at the top. If he were to still be doping, then I could see that as being a cause, but what'd he gain at that point? Is he getting money from sponsors back home for winning THE AG race?

As for the tshirt idea, Dev, maybe do what Ironman does with their MDOT on the back of the shirt...Include all the names in tiny print to make up a bigger picture...maybe like a syringe with a big NO circle around it.
Last edited by: d00d: Sep 8, 14 6:59
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish the video did not cut out the announcement of the names of the 35-39 podium (where I would have liked to hear the crowds reactions to each name) and also the later alleged physical confrontation. It looks like Dan is just talking Colom's ear off and Colom is trying not to react. If you did not know Colom's history, I don't think you'd even notice. At any rate, the video does not show anything inappropriate to my mind, and if Colom got barraged by unwelcoming comments from his fellow podium athlete, well he asked for it.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure its been said in this thread, or another one. But if they are going to follow the WADA anti-doping penalties, I really wish they would adapt the sport specific rules to be more like wearing a wetsuit above 76.1 degrees.

"You've been convicted of doping and served your penalty? Ok, come race. But you're not eligible for AG awards or Kona slots.

What, you don't want to race anymore? Ok, next (wo)man up."
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
desert dude wrote:

Why would he have to be better than all but the very best few triathlete cyclists before he was at a level where he could be doped? We have Cat 3 cyclists here in New York who are injecting EPO. I am sure there are guys that dope to get to domestic elite or conti teams and just don't have the legs to get any further, even on the juice. I'm not saying Colom does not have talent as a cyclist, but I am saying he doped before. He just put down the best overall bike split at a 70.3 worlds with probably the most talented field ever, beating guys that Lance even lost to. It is reasonable to not give this guy the benefit of the doubt, and it is reasonable to call him out as a doper, because it was proven already. As far as I know, he has never even made a statement of apology, or in support of clean sport or anything. Just races amateur triathlon after getting the boot from cycling, and makes no statements whatsoever. Doesn't even have a facebook or twitter acct that I know of.

Lance swam and ran much faster. Drilling the bike wasn't his only option. My assumption would be that he probably held back more than Colom does in terms of % of FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Staz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even so, colom was never anywhere close to as good a cyclist as lance was. And a 1:19 on that course is pretty solid. I doubt he sacrificed his run by overbiking.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rjrankin83 wrote:

Have you ever had a spot on the podium affected by a cheater?

I have, I just didn't know it at the time. 2011 70.3 WC in Vegas I was 4th in M40-44, Laurant Jalbert was 3rd. I didn't know who he was until the awards and then didn't know he was tainted a few weeks later when it came up here on ST. So there is precedent for this.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They called the top 10 pros up on stage. Lisa H was top 10 so she went up

And what did her peers do when she was called on stage? A serious question, what did they do? I venture to guess one of three things:

1. nothing
  2. tweeted their disgust
  3. at most, refused to shake hand
what Dan did and what Sam did, duly noting Sam's approach is more my personal style, is far more in line with what we NEED to do; otherwise cycling culture of Omerta creeps in.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a bigger talent pool and only training one sport it's obvious that the differences in performance will be quite big. I have however competed against a few pro tour riders, some of whom have won or been on the podium at some of the biggest races on the calendar, and I actually don't think all pro tour riders are above 5.8w/kg for an hour. Even if they were we have seen in almost all cases that the difference comes down quite a bit when they start to train for 2 other sports. I think Colom stands out a bit in that regard because at least in some races last year it seemed like he lost a bit less of his cycling capacity compared to some of the others who have tried.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply

Prev Next