Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [rjrankin83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doping while a professional athlete is effectively stealing. Perhaps that will help stop all the equivocation.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Sep 7, 14 16:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin83 wrote:
ahhchon wrote:
NJSteve wrote:
dogmile wrote:
You are naive.

ahhchon wrote:
call me naive here but what's the issue?

john

Agreed. "If it doesn't impact me, it is not my problem" implies you don't care about the long term success of the sport.

way to assume that i don't care. in all sports, folks cheat and are given a second chance. not to mention they have never cheated in triathlon. or if it makes you feel better i will say they have never tested positive in triathlon.

if you cheated in football should you be banned from all sports for life? if you doped to be an olympic distance runner should you be banned from all other sports in life? i personally don't think so. i think that it is ultimately up to each sport to make sure that the athletes are not cheating.

the fact is, it doesn't matter if colom is cheating or not. what matters is what triathlon is doing to keep cheaters from racing. if he's cheating and racing then it's triathlons fault (not fully of course). look, i don't think folks who have been cheating in triathlon be allowed to race. i don't know if a lifetime ban is the answer, but it is certainly in the right direction. but you know what? you can't give a lifetime ban if you don't have during and ooc testing.

make sense?

john

He doped while riding a bike. The training and gains he made while doping didn't go away when he stopped (like Rapp said). He sure as hell shouldn't be allowed to enter a competition that involves riding a bike. I personally wouldn't let him do any sport professionally, and wouldn't let him take AG spots away from those who earned it the hard way.

right, because testing in WTC races are so good and there is so much OOC testing that we are sure the pointy end of AG racing is dope free.

for all we know he's beating doped up AG'ers. perhaps it's because he is a former professional rider. did he dope after he became pro? or did he dope to become pro. if he doped after he became pro is it that hard to believe that he has the ability to put down the best 56 mile split at a triathlon that was supposedly a "more difficult" course?

look, i don't know the guy from a ham sandwich. never heard of him before. not a fan of his, not a hater either. i just think it's always a good idea to put yourself in the other shoes and try to gain some perspective. i feel that is the best way to move the sport forward. extreme on either end is never good imo, whether it be cheating or anti cheating.

john
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>. The training and gains he made while doping didn't go away when he stopped (like Rapp said).

The article Rapp posted was based on use of anabolic steroids, and even then it was speculative, not definitive. Colom took EPO (well, he may have taken other things, but he definitely took EPO).

According to this article from Velonews, stopping EPO usage does is very bad for high dosage use and undetermined for microdosing. (Colom likely microdosed given the state of EPO testing at the time).

But it seems unlikely that EPO effects go from very bad following cessation of a high dose to indefinitely performance enhancing following cessation of low dosage. It's more likely that the bad effects are just proportional to dosage in some way. But I could be wrong...sometimes nature acts in funny ways.
Last edited by: trail: Sep 7, 14 16:41
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't put myself in his shoes. I race to better myself and because I enjoy doing it, and couldn't imagine going to such extremes to cheat. I'm not perfect by any means but to dope you've basically climbed the ladder of ways to cheat until you hit the top.

As for insinuating other triathletes at the pointy end doping, that's a pretty bold statement. If they are doping they deserved to be banned. However this guy was caught cheating, they weren't. I don't see how everyone can be so diehard on LA's ban, then defend others. Racing is a privilege, not a right. He cheated and should have his privilege taken away.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rjrankin83 wrote:
I can't put myself in his shoes. I race to better myself and because I enjoy doing it, and couldn't imagine going to such extremes to cheat. I'm not perfect by any means but to dope you've basically climbed the ladder of ways to cheat until you hit the top.

As for insinuating other triathletes at the pointy end doping, that's a pretty bold statement. If they are doping they deserved to be banned. However this guy was caught cheating, they weren't. I don't see how everyone can be so diehard on LA's ban, then defend others. Racing is a privilege, not a right. He cheated and should have his privilege taken away.

LA's ban also has to do with his trying to ruin other people's lives to protect his own 'credibility' and his inability to own up for years and years, yes?
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
>. The training and gains he made while doping didn't go away when he stopped (like Rapp said).

The article Rapp posted was based on use of anabolic steroids, and even then it was speculative, not definitive. Colom took EPO (well, he may have taken other things, but he definitely took EPO).

According to this article from Velonews, stopping EPO usage does is very bad for high dosage use and undetermined for microdosing. (Colom likely microdosed given the state of EPO testing at the time).

But it seems unlikely that EPO effects go from very bad following cessation of a high dose to indefinitely performance enhancing following cessation of low dosage. It's more likely that the bad effects are just proportional to dosage in some way. But I could be wrong...sometimes nature acts in funny ways.

Don't throw facts into my knee-jerk tie raid!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

According to this article from Velonews, the long-term effects of EPO usage do not appear to be at all beneficial to performance. //

I would be surprised if he took less than 5 illegal drugs. As we have seen in others, 6 to 10 were not uncommon, and they had to keep adjusting to different tests.

As to long lasting performance, everyone out there that is/was an athlete, was it harder to get to a level from scratch, or to get back to it after a layoff(offseason injury, break). Maybe it is just me alone in the world, but when i got to be able to run a certain pace, or swim a certain pace, it was just weeks, or a month or so to get back to that level. But to get to my first sub hour 40k, or 1 minute for a 100 fly, took year and years. And each level i went faster than that too years too, but just a very short period to get back to. Now in retirement for a very long time, and with health problems and 3 years away from the sport, it took me just a few months on 9 hours a week of training to do a very hard 1/2 ironman in 4;44 at the age of 50. And the "only" reason i could do that is from a long history of having trained at a high pace. So "I KNOW" what training i did in the past "DEFINITELY" has followed me, and after many long layoffs and getting old as a tree.

Why is it so hard for the rest of you to just look at yourselves as examples too of what long term benefits training has? Or am i really the only one this happens to? And i'm sure if i had doped and went 10 minutes faster in my prime, i would be even faster now. I believe it is all about muscle memory, and they remember very well and long, like elephants..
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that's why people hate him so much and probably is why he got a lifetime ban. As far as athletics go I don't see how that should affect his ban from racing though. The fact he was a dick didn't make him any better an athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing to keep in mind. A pro tour cyclist is going to have a p/wt ratio of at least 5.8 and higher at FTP or you're racing on a lower level.

How many pro triathletes have p/wt ratio's higher than that at FTP. let me list them for you:

List done.
Read it again.

The avg pro triathlete is going to have a p/wt ratio maybe at 5.0 and a hell of a lot of pro triathletes are going to be under 5.0.

Take a 70kg cyclist and triathlete one at 5.5 and the other the triathlete at 4.7 w/kg at FTP. That's a 50w difference which is huge.

Or put it this way, at the triathletes FTP the cyclist is riding at ~85% of FTP. You do the math and figure out how long that's going to last.

You know why guys like Kienle aren't riding bikes as a pro cyclist on the highest levels of cycling? Bc they are too fucking slow when they ride their bikes fast.

Look I think it's crap the ban is 2 years, 4 years is going to make a big difference I think. That's a long time to be away from high level sport. I also know that WTC has tested AGers in the past, at least at IMH.
But to think that WTC is going to spend significant amounts of money to test Age groupers, even targeted testing, is naive. Very naive.

But they are also playing by the rules set forth and signed off by every major NGB.

Don't like it? Stop bitching and sit for the BOD of your NGB and change it.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Sep 7, 14 16:57
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>do a very hard 1/2 ironman in 4;44 at the age of 50.

You just tested positive for Back Door Brag (BDB)

Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But they are also playing by the rules set forth and signed off by every major NGB.

Don't like it? Stop bitching and sit for the BOD of your NGB and change it.

_______

This is where I disagree. WTC plays by USAT's rules when it wants to and then sets it's own rules when it wants to and it caters to "their" needs. WTC has it both ways, they can cry foul of "it's the NGB rules" but then when they don't like said rules, they can make up their own.
ETA: I think it's likely a relationship that works. Both parties get money coming in and they both get what each wants/needs.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 7, 14 17:04
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where were the facts in that article? All I saw was was the opinion of two admitted dopers. Tough to get facts on the effects of EPO because nobody wants to admit to doing it and get tested before/during/after.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a little talking to him on the stag, then a little run into(oops) not really. Wanted to snap his neck. So pissed that he can race. Don't give me( he served his time) that is a BULLSHIT response.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant the serve your 2 years and you're free to play again.

Yeah WTC gets some leeway here and there on some rules like drafting etc.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah for sure, is it a 4 year ban for AG'ers who pop for drugs now to be in line with the pros?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
This should raise some eyebrows if this is adjusted for wave start

What does 'Colom by six feet' mean?
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
Had a little talking to him on the stag, then a little run into(oops) not really. Wanted to snap his neck. So pissed that he can race. Don't give me( he served his time) that is a BULLSHIT response.

You should have handed him a cup to piss into. That would have one-upped Sam Gyde.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [gadzooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gadzooks se lleva la palma!

Bryn Mawr Running Company
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My sentiments exactly. There are WAY to many crybabies on this forum. They all point fingers as though they have never done anything wrong in their life. There is not a finger pointing poster on here that hasn't muttered the words "give me a second chance" on here. Quit the moaning and crying. Are you men or 2nd graders?
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [Beachboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
holy moly you can just fuck all the way off. He is a convicted doper

Beachboy wrote:
So you are saying the guy was a donkey before drugs, I don't buy it.

I look at it a little diffident. He is racing with-in the rules.....he's fast and wins! Until you can't point to where he's cheated

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6': Unreal [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
let it go.....your missed place anger will only hurt you.

he's with in the rules...."The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM40-44 wrote:
holy moly you can just fuck all the way off. He is a convicted doper

Beachboy wrote:
So you are saying the guy was a donkey before drugs, I don't buy it.

I look at it a little diffident. He is racing with-in the rules.....he's fast and wins! Until you can't point to where he's cheated

and your point is....he's still cheating? if that is your point. Prove it...calling people names or standing on the side of the road yell "DOPER" doesn't change a thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can just shut you fucking mouth. You want to test me, fine. You can test me everyday all day. I don't cheat. And I have Never took epo. Your either with him or against him, and if your with him your a piece of SHIT to.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
You can just shut you fucking mouth. You want to test me, fine. You can test me everyday all day. I don't cheat. And I have Never took epo. Your either with him or against him, and if your with him your a piece of SHIT to.

There is no in-between. I agree 100%.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds AG race: Colom by 6'? [TrekGeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrekGeek wrote:
My sentiments exactly. There are WAY to many crybabies on this forum. They all point fingers as though they have never done anything wrong in their life. There is not a finger pointing poster on here that hasn't muttered the words "give me a second chance" on here. Quit the moaning and crying. Are you men or 2nd graders?

Seriously missing the forest for the trees. In fact, not even sure if the forest is visible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next