Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
How many ST's ride Motos??
Quote | Reply
How many of you guys/gals ride motorcycles or used to?
Do you still?
Did you give it up?
Do you miss it?
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [JBAX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes... I ride still and have for many years. I never gave it up so I can't miss it. I'm not a die-hard though. If I had to give it up I might miss it for the nostalgia, but wouldn't fret over it. I've seen some friends get hurt bad and one that died on their motorcycles. I ride while I can and once that time is over I'll just accept the fact.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Suzuki SV650s that I ride about once a week. I'm only really 6 years into motorcycle riding, and got started when I was injured and couldn't run. Rode a lot those first couple years. Now not as much, but mostly because I want to bring a bike to work so I can ride during lunch. Otherwise I'd be riding the motorcycle almost daily. 58 mpg on the cycle vs 25 in the car... no-brainer.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still ride my motoBECANNNNNNNNNNNE!

Even had a race anouncer call me out on it once ("Oh, OLD SCHOOL, he's on a Motobecane!") Not invigorating.

Saving up for a better road bike by 2021.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBAX wrote:
Do you still?
Did you give it up?
Do you miss it?

Last moto was a Triumph Street Triple. I sold it 4 years ago.
Summer is short in Canada and the nice days I was debating bike, topless Jeep or moto. Moto lost out 9 times out of 10.
I was riding 4 times per year.

I will get another eventually
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a touring bike -- R1150RT

And a custom standard that I built -- 1970 R60/5 Frame with modded high-comp 1974 R90/6 Motor (pushed out to 1050cc). W/modern Suzuki USD front end. :-)

And an Aprilia Scarabeo 100 scooter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
played WERA for a while, loved my RC51 in the heavy weight twin class.

Then started coaching at STT on an inline 4, but never adapted well to them.

Grenaded the sucker on the back straight at Road ATL and never looked back.

That $300/month tire budget payed for a few dirtbikes, then a Super Air Nautique, and finally a bicycle. Everytime I think how expensive being a triathlete it, I just think back to buying tires all the freaking time.

Still miss my RC though.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2009 BMW K1200R, my primary means of transportation when the weather is nice (and sometimes when it's not). I'm leaving in two weeks to ride the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. Third time I'll be there, gets better every year.
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ashburn wrote:
I've got a touring bike -- R1150RT

And a custom standard that I built -- 1970 R60/5 Frame with modded high-comp 1974 R90/6 Motor (pushed out to 1050cc). W/modern Suzuki USD front end. :-)

And an Aprilia Scarabeo 100 scooter.

+1 R1150RT. I gotta have moto in the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Harley FXST that has some performance goodies in it. Fast enough for me. Only ride it a few times each year but when I do its fun.
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [BestSkierTy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BestSkierTy wrote:
2009 BMW K1200R, ...

That there is one wicked pony. Still can't figure out how to ride 180mph on a naked bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to ride. Started on a Yamaha SR500 - horrible bike to learn on as it's only one cylinder and no electric start. Easy to stall, hard to start!
Second bike was a crashed MotoGuzzi 850T I rebuilt. Loved that bike and not sure what happened to it.
Third bike an 82 Honda CB900F. Was nice, fairly docile as far as big bikes go. Had the full fairing, including the leg fairings. Sort of a sport tourer, I guess.
I do miss it. But now with kids almost on their own, I'm hankering for another bike. Not just any bike, I want something pretty distinctive, and throaty and just absolute eye candy. I want the big bad boy Ducati Superbike 1199 Panigal. I'm not too old for that nonsense, am I?

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, ridden, commuted, toured, raced and of course crashed.....
I ride far less now after having 2 kids and racing IM again leaves bugger all time to ride it than the occasional commute to work.. zx-10r commuting.. :-)
But i can't bring myself to ever get rid of it..
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [Ashburn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I haven't gone that fast since I got hit a few years ago, now it's just a nice touring bike that happens to go very, very fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2011 HD Road King - love this bike

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [BestSkierTy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Nightrod Special, one of the first ever released and I overpaid dearly for it. I used to ride it quite a bit and I thought I was a hot shit for having one. When I got it I was a 25 y.o. single guy and it was one of the best "excessive" purchases I could have made at the time. I rode it so much I had to get new tires about every 3 months. These days it spends time collecting dust in the garage and gets ridden maybe once every two weeks. I just can't bring myself to sell it. It's just too damn cool.

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [Ironwimp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninja 250. I use it to go when I want to swim open water on packed beach days.

If everyone in triathlon rode a moto, I think we wouldnt have so many bike handling skills problems
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
If everyone in triathlon rode a moto, I think we wouldnt have so many bike handling skills problems

+1

I thought I was a good bike handler, till I did the Superbike school. Now I can really handle a bicycle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:

or there would be many, many more motorcycle accidents :)

i have a ducati that is pretty much just for track days. every once in awhile i'll take it to work when its been "too long" or the weather is just right.

i just need to figure out where i can mount some aero bars on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JBAX wrote:
Do you still?
Did you give it up?
Do you miss it?

Like one of the other st's I had a speed triple and sold it a couple of years ago. Also had a Harley nighster during the same time. Also sold that and now have a 99 sportster hardtail bobbed/chopper with a 6" over Springer front end. The only thing stock is the engine and the front half of the frame.

Don't ride anymore. Wife had baby 16 months ago and for some reason I just don't have the "itch" anymore. So it will be going up on craigslist soon. If I'm on two wheels it's either my tri, mountain, or road bike.

Will probably get one again when the kids are grown up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a triumph rocket 3. 2300ccs that conform to the world that my dick is small. But man what a blast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
ninja 250. I use it to go when I want to swim open water on packed beach days.
My daughter's boyfriend just bought one! His first bike... OMG, I just realized she'll be riding on the back of that thing.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been riding since I was 19, have landed squarely in the dualsport, adventure riding categories.

KTM 990, custom Endurance Nation graphics going on this week, for fun

Husaberg FE570, in bikecamping kit

Rich Strauss
Endurance Nation Ironman 2013 and 2014 World Champion TriClub, Div I
Create a FREE 7-day trial membership
Last edited by: Rich Strauss: Aug 25, 14 17:21
Quote Reply
Re: How many ST's ride Motos?? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Last moto was a Triumph Street Triple.

Loved that bike. My buddy had one way back when (~10 years ago). Great ride. Of course, he laid it down on the 401 and escaped with a punctured lung, broken ankle and a shit ton of road rash.

On the original topic, I used to ride an R6 when I was younger, quickly got sick of riding on the road and started track riding. Then I got into bike riding and sold it. Got more pleasure out of self powered two wheel action.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True to my user name, grew up on east coast and will still say that after many years of a variety of endurance sports I have never done anything harder than racing off-road enduros on the East Coast of US; Maryland, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, and New Jersey.

Former off road Katoom convert for motard and recently sold sport touring (VFR). I think I am on the verge of owning as many bikes as motorcycles over the years. Started on a GT80 (4-up) and I think I have had just about every major brand save a Harley.

I miss off roading very much, but SoCal is not the place for this (not into desert) as I grew up surrounded by single track woods.

IMO, in terms of triathlon lots of carry-over in bike handling, especially descending, and mental toughness in longer events from years of riding.

Thanks for stirring some very good and sometimes "painful" memories!

Quote Reply

Prev Next