Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just heading back home now. Some comments from this peanut gallery:

- Overall, I think the race is a winner (this was IM no. 49, so there is some perspective) - I would say about 75% to 80% of the race is good, but there are changes required.

- Nice to have a one loop swim course. Would like to have a practice swim that doesn't cost $20 (or at least put it in the entry fee, so I don't feel like there's constantly a hand reaching in my pocket. Swim entry/exit good, good to not have any leg directly into the sun.

- Bike course was more challenging than I gave it credit for; a couple of slightly more epic climbs thrown in would work well. Saw several motos the first 30 miles, none afterwards, though everything was spreadout by then (did a 1:03 swim/5:03 bike).

- The T2 bike hand off needs serious help (you had to see it to believe it) . At the very least, there should be bike catchers near the dismount line. Running in bare feet for a quarter mile on hot concrete and running track needs to go away.

- Railroad crossings need serious help. If I hadn't slowed down a bunch, I most likely would have flatted.

- Run course was good. I expected it to be more crowded, given the width of the path, but only had to dance around a few people on the second lap.

- Having dry clothes bags closer to finish line would be a plus. Add colder/wetter weather and this turns into a medical tent nightmare.

Again, overall a positive experience, and would do it again.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Flat lander" review. I went to CSU and LOVED biking in Colorado, so was thrilled to do my 4th IM in Boulder. Now 40 and living in Philly, I was mentally prepared for a hard day due to altitude. That said, I was a bit sad there wasn't more climbing on the course. If this course gets shifted up to Horsetooth Resevoir and they take the bit east of I-25 out, I'll have to come do it again. I thought this was a very well run event, period. Don't even need to qualify that with the "first year" bit. And the videos on FB showing both transition areas and the flow of participants during the race was the best information I've seen on any of the events. Things that would have helped me out: morning clothes bag and massage at the finish line. Had I been feeling like a faster runner Sunday, the packs of people on the trail would have slowed me up. As it was I could manage them pretty well. However, if all "3000" people actually show up for this race, I predict some running collisions. Oh, and if someone could talk the host hotel out of jacking up their rates for IM week, that'd be swell. But I know I also have the option of staying somewhere else. The volunteers rocked. PS, I can't thank the RD enough for having so much ice on the course. I literally put it everywhere every time I passed it. One more request - ice cold watermelon. Yum!

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The lake is frozen in February. Lots of boats in August. That's why permit was not issued.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My notes;

- 75 degrees is just stupid warm for allowing wetsuits. Would do lava pants if it was that warm again.
- Setup at the rez was really bad for spectators to watch/see the swim.
- Swim was most certainly long.
- $20 to pre-swim a 750m course is crazy.
- Local restaurant only partially honored the food voucher. Said something about WTC only paying them $10 back for the $25 voucher. Lame.
- The swim warm up was not very practical from a logistics standpoint.
- Buses on race morning worked really well.
- Split location transitions are a major hassle. Especially since parking in and around the high school was a major pain in the ass.
- Rolling swim start was awesome. Very sane and low pressure swim and this led to a very spread out start of the bike. This might have also been partly because of the weird pace signs used. There was a sub hour sign with a bunch of people in front of it, a bunch of people behind it, then a big gap, then another sign that read 1-1:15 with a bunch of people behind it. So not sure, what the no man's land was supposed to be but that seemed to work out.
- Rolling swim start, long swim, lack of wind, early false flats, and the bike course in general led to a very fair bike leg. Saw very little drafting. Saw refs only early mostly, but they were not needed when I didn't see them.
- The out and back off of 36 was dumb, but maybe a necessary evil to break up the bike ride. Plenty of heros trying to win the bike on the descent in close proximity.
- The bike course was great except for everything on the east side of I25. That section was long, hot, and boring.
- The entire field seemed to really slow down as the heat cranked up late in the bike.
- The back half of the bike could have used more aid stations. I like a one loop course, but would trade that in any day for more aid stations. Spectators might get a chance to check things out on the bike then too. By the time they got back on the bus and in to town they were like f'it we are going to lunch.
- The hills on the way back in to town were way over hyped. The climb on the out and back on 36 seemed steeper.
- Traffic control on the bike course was really good for a first year race.
- The T2 transition was poorly setup with the really long run with your bike and a portion on a black track surface. Nothing like running a quarter mile with your bike and a boiling hot rubber transition surface.
- The run course was chaotic with locals wandering all over the place. People riding bikes, schlepping inner tubes, staggering, and smoking reefer on the path.
- I much prefer roads than bike paths. If you can't really take over an area it probably isn't a good idea to have 2500 people running there.
- Ironman in the first week of August in Boulder... yeah I'll pass on that next time. If the race was on the preceding Wednesday or the following Monday completely different days.
- Most people blew out of transition too fast with the gradual downhill, only to explode in a couple of miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Would they be worse than the IMLT descents? If not, no one got killed, even when I blew a front tire going down one of the 8% from the Ritz. Scared the ... out of me though.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owtbac86 wrote:

- Overall, I think the race is a winner (this was IM no. 49, so there is some perspective) - I would say about 75% to 80% of the race is good, but there are changes required.

- Nice to have a one loop swim course. Would like to have a practice swim that doesn't cost $20 (or at least put it in the entry fee, so I don't feel like there's constantly a hand reaching in my pocket. Swim entry/exit good, good to not have any leg directly into the sun.

- Bike course was more challenging than I gave it credit for; a couple of slightly more epic climbs thrown in would work well. Saw several motos the first 30 miles, none afterwards, though everything was spreadout by then (did a 1:03 swim/5:03 bike).

- The T2 bike hand off needs serious help (you had to see it to believe it) . At the very least, there should be bike catchers near the dismount line. Running in bare feet for a quarter mile on hot concrete and running track needs to go away.

- Railroad crossings need serious help. If I hadn't slowed down a bunch, I most likely would have flatted.

- Run course was good. I expected it to be more crowded, given the width of the path, but only had to dance around a few people on the second lap.

- Having dry clothes bags closer to finish line would be a plus. Add colder/wetter weather and this turns into a medical tent nightmare.

Thanks for your points on the race, but we want to know where IM number 50 will be. Are you stuffing Tahoe in before Kona, or are you saving it for Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

Thanks for your points on the race, but we want to know where IM number 50 will be. Are you stuffing Tahoe in before Kona, or are you saving it for Kona?

Dev, the IMLT slot is for you this year. :o)

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After doing Whistler, Tahoe crossed my mind....but Steffan there or not changes nothing. Usually there are 10 guys in between Steffan and I in line for that KQ slot. Perhaps at a race like Tahoe that number changes to 6-8 but still there are too many fast guys in between. Doing Tahoe would be about the challenge. I am in SFO area in that general time frame for work, so it would be a matter of coordinating logistics and getting the body lined up which might be hard since I am supposed to do Tremblant 140.6 in 11 days.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [mndiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I lost my cookies on first loop (bad nutrition execution/decisions- lessons learned hard) so I looked relatively great on second loop. Fun day for all in Boulder.

-

later,
billy
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Naval Academy Triathlon Coach (USNA '00 and USMC)
billythekidtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
After doing Whistler, Tahoe crossed my mind....but Steffan there or not changes nothing. Usually there are 10 guys in between Steffan and I in line for that KQ slot. Perhaps at a race like Tahoe that number changes to 6-8 but still there are too many fast guys in between. Doing Tahoe would be about the challenge. I am in SFO area in that general time frame for work, so it would be a matter of coordinating logistics and getting the body lined up which might be hard since I am supposed to do Tremblant 140.6 in 11 days.

Yep, it would be for the challenge. And since Martis is done, it is easier than last year. I still plan to drive up Friday to register then come home. Will drive back up Sat and spend the night, race the 70.3, and drive him Sunday night.
Nice and cheap lodging this way, and I do not have to worry about the altitude.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
owtbac86 wrote:

Hey Dev-

Would like to make Kona number 50, though you've got me thinking now. :)

I would like to race LT again before the 140.6 disappears.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was one of you wearing a TRS shirt on the 79th street hill cheering for bikers?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [JAH294] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I _think_ steve was?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, just curious. I was the girl that was spinning oh so slowly up the hill and as you guys were cheering I pointed at one of you and said, "I love you guys." You replied back, "We love you too!" You guys were great. :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [JAH294] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
our greatness may have been multiplied by margaritas too :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wasn't me.

Re: IM Boulder reviews? [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you had a hat?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dark Horse t-shirt, red Red Sox hat. Dude, we were together for what, 6 hours?

Quote | Reply
margaritas? <:-D

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lightweight. You had one.

Quote | Reply
check your vision

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoever was drinking New belgium Ranger about halfway up was on the wrong side of the road for beer hand ups like in cyclocross. Next year maybe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other point I would like to mention about the race but wasnt brought up was the sunscreen. I dont know if anyone else uses that stuff regularly or what, but this was my first time using it.

The bullfrog gel sunscreen did a good job keeping me from getting sunburn. It also did a wonderful job getting my race numbers off. For some reason they thought it would be great to use a rub-on alcohol based sunscreen. For what its worth, I use alcohol to remove permanent marker from walls and counters when my kids get a hold of them, so I wasn't surprised when my numbers came right off with this sunscreen. I dont know if it matters in the long run, just seems weird that they put emphasis on number markings that morning, and then as soon as you take your wetsuit off and put this sunscreen on the numbers come right off. Just an observation.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats what I always use and it is funny how easy and fast it takes off the numbers. Love that stuff tried to go a race without it and got fried.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder reviews? [dogmile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dogmile wrote:
My notes;

- 75 degrees is just stupid warm for allowing wetsuits. Would do lava pants if it was that warm again.
- Setup at the rez was really bad for spectators to watch/see the swim.
- Swim was most certainly long.
- $20 to pre-swim a 750m course is crazy.
- Local restaurant only partially honored the food voucher. Said something about WTC only paying them $10 back for the $25 voucher. Lame.
- The swim warm up was not very practical from a logistics standpoint.
- Buses on race morning worked really well.
- Split location transitions are a major hassle. Especially since parking in and around the high school was a major pain in the ass.
- Rolling swim start was awesome. Very sane and low pressure swim and this led to a very spread out start of the bike. This might have also been partly because of the weird pace signs used. There was a sub hour sign with a bunch of people in front of it, a bunch of people behind it, then a big gap, then another sign that read 1-1:15 with a bunch of people behind it. So not sure, what the no man's land was supposed to be but that seemed to work out.
- Rolling swim start, long swim, lack of wind, early false flats, and the bike course in general led to a very fair bike leg. Saw very little drafting. Saw refs only early mostly, but they were not needed when I didn't see them.
- The out and back off of 36 was dumb, but maybe a necessary evil to break up the bike ride. Plenty of heros trying to win the bike on the descent in close proximity.
- The bike course was great except for everything on the east side of I25. That section was long, hot, and boring.
- The entire field seemed to really slow down as the heat cranked up late in the bike.
- The back half of the bike could have used more aid stations. I like a one loop course, but would trade that in any day for more aid stations. Spectators might get a chance to check things out on the bike then too. By the time they got back on the bus and in to town they were like f'it we are going to lunch.
- The hills on the way back in to town were way over hyped. The climb on the out and back on 36 seemed steeper.
- Traffic control on the bike course was really good for a first year race.
- The T2 transition was poorly setup with the really long run with your bike and a portion on a black track surface. Nothing like running a quarter mile with your bike and a boiling hot rubber transition surface.
- The run course was chaotic with locals wandering all over the place. People riding bikes, schlepping inner tubes, staggering, and smoking reefer on the path.
- I much prefer roads than bike paths. If you can't really take over an area it probably isn't a good idea to have 2500 people running there.
- Ironman in the first week of August in Boulder... yeah I'll pass on that next time. If the race was on the preceding Wednesday or the following Monday completely different days.
- Most people blew out of transition too fast with the gradual downhill, only to explode in a couple of miles.

Good recap - you got most of the points... you forgot the $6 fee for dropping off your bike. Anyone that was not an athlete had to pay the entry fee to get into the Boulder Rez. EVERYONE was pissed!!!!! This was completely unacceptable. The race director/wtc should have stepped up and just paid a fee to let everyone in that day that was 'with' an athlete. My friend's 70yo parents were super upset about that and they are the nicest people from Omaha.

Honestly, in it's entirety. This race had the WORST overall logistics of any race I've ever done. A few of the items happen at a race and would have made them acceptable, but this race - they just kept adding up. Any one or even a couple of them would have been acceptable but the shear number of really bad decisions really made this a very poorly run race from the basic logistics standpoint in my opinion. Something as simple as having the morning clothes drop off at the opposite end of the very large transition area from the start was just stupid. My friends feet were already sore/almost raw before she started the swim from walking across the parking lot twice. Oh, and if you wanted to warm up...then you had to do this walk an additional two times.

The positive points - i don't think are directly related to race management and the reason they were good.

- Volunteers - they were awesome - more so then any other race. The teenage kids there were out there were fully involved and totally into it and were troopers in the heat.
- Traffic control - again - Awesome... Law enforcement was on the ball everywhere. and with such a challenging course (crossing Diagonal for example).
- The swim start - the rolling start (my first one) was awesome. So relaxed and everyone in my immediate area was very cool. As we were walking toward the water, I could have probably stuck my arms out and not hit anyone. So nice...

I actually think maybe Boulder is not a place for an Ironman. Good intentions - but the town is too big and logistics too complicated for a good experience for the athletes. I.e. did we 'really' need to finish in the heart of downtown for any reason than to appease a few business/chamber of commerce agreements. (and then have to go back a few blocks to get your bags, and then a few blocks to get the car..etc). A smaller town would have been happy just to have the race in the area and might not have imposed so many restrictions....
Quote Reply

Prev Next