Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [NotYoMama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also people are xenophobic against alien life forms:

Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yellow: Horner hasn't raced all year so that makes him the odds-on favorite. Should he falter, I'm going with Contador. Between him, Nibali, Purito and Valverde, I don't think Sky will be able to ride tempo to another win. Would love to see Talansky get a top 5.

Green: Sagan. This is probably the easiest pick, baring something unfortunate happening.

White: Michael Kwiatkowski. With his classics chops the first week shouldn't be anything for him.

Mountain classification: Probably the toughest to pick, maybe Romaine Bardet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NotYoMama wrote:

Plus, all he does is look at stems: http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

That. Is. Hilarious!

I found myself rooting for Contador, for the first time ever, at the Dauphine. And then he did that awful pistolero gesture and I went back to hating him. At least he animates the races, unlike the stem looker.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NotYoMama wrote:
hiro11 wrote:
TriFloyd wrote:
I've gotten a little out of touch with the Tour cyclists. Why the dislike for Froome?
Of course all of this is debatable, but:

Because he's the archetypal watts-watching, defensive, hide behind your domestiques for as long as possible, logical rider that typifies the lack of panache in the modern peloton and personifies the boa constrictor-like Sky tactics.

Because he's stand-offish, somewhat prickly and a bit of a jerk.

Because he supplanted Wiggins, a guy who's also extremely dry, professional and taciturn but still managed to seem fascinating when compared to Froome.

Because of his TUE and inhaler suspiciousness.

Because his chicken-like, flailing, elbow n' knees, staring at his computer riding style is the ugliest I've ever seen.

Because he's not British, at all, but has a Union Jack on his bike.

Plus, all he does is look at stems: http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

That is a funny link there!
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think OPQS is missing anyone from their train:Martin > Terpstra > Petacchi > Renshaw > Cav, with Kwiatkowski as another capable hand as he showed on one-days. No other team is even close to as strong or experienced.

Sagan will never "wipe the floor" against Cav and Kittel in a pure field sprint. On an incline maybe, and certainly out of a select group, but not a traditional Tour sprint stage. He's also a freelancer, not really suited to a train like those guys. He'll take green because of consistency and versatility.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Jun 30, 14 12:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I'll play along .....

GC: Not Froome. And Brailsford will look like a huge Douche for not including Wiggo
Not Dopador - Unless he eats more tainted Beef.

Now for some likely suspects. It might be a more open Tour this year than last years edition.
Rui Costa
Valverde

Polka Dot Jersey - Same as above

Green Jersey - Anyone but Sagan. Not because I dislike Sagan. But because of the endless Jock Sniffing from all the talking heads

Note: These aren't predictions. But I sure *hope* this is the result :)
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Cobble] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who is your cousin?

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May I ask who your cousin is? And the KOM is incredibly difficult to predict, otherwise I'd chime in with my own predictions.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Yellow: Horner hasn't raced all year so that makes him the odds-on favorite.

Excellent, I'm sure this is not sarcasm and you have dropped that notion of having to get into race fitness =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:
Who is your cousin?

Sep Vanmarcke I think...if I recall correctly from the Spring classics thread. Hope I didn't screw that up Cobble!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mrs BBS and I will be there for Stages 16/17 and the ITT. Will try to get some good pics.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Founder: BestBikeSplit
Amazonian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I don't think OPQS is missing anyone from their train:Martin > Terpstra > Petacchi > Renshaw > Cav, with Kwiatkowski as another capable hand as he showed on one-days. No other team is even close to as strong or experienced.
No Boonen, no Steegmans. Petacchi and Renshaw are both a little past their sell-by date. Giant has a more flexible and stronger train and a better sprint alternate in Degenkolb. They have more options. Also, given the way Kittel was looking this spring, I think he's going to be tough for anyone to beat.

Quote:
Sagan will never "wipe the floor" against Cav and Kittel in a pure field sprint. On an incline maybe, and certainly out of a select group, but not a traditional Tour sprint stage. He's also a freelancer, not really suited to a train like those guys. He'll take green because of consistency and versatility.
We agree. I wasn't talking about a particular field sprint, I'm talking about the green jersey. My point is that Sagan already wins green jerseys even though he doesn't have a sprint train of note and is forced to freelance. Like you said, he wins through consistency, his ability to climb (relative to pure sprinters) and his absurdly awesome freelancing skills. If he did have a train like OPQS or Giant, he would most definitely be in the mix against true sprinters more often. This, combined with his ability to take intermediate points would only increase his advantages and allow him to wipe the floor with dedicated sprinters in a green jersey competition.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Renshaw is past his sell-date at 31? FYI, Boonen and Steegmans are both 33. Boonen hasn't been in Cav's train this year and wouldn't be the last man, which is the most critical cog for someone like Cav. Boonen's role is much more easily replaced.

Sagan could have the best train in the peloton and still won't beat Cav or Kittlel. He doesn't have the snap or pure speed those guys do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doubletime wrote:
Who is your cousin?
Sep Vanmarcke (team Belkin)

Quote | Reply
Staz wrote:
May I ask who your cousin is? And the KOM is incredibly difficult to predict, otherwise I'd chime in with my own predictions.
agree the KOM is always difficult to predict, it often goes to somebody who goes on the attack frequently but is just not good enough for the GC win due to lack of time trialing capabilities. So i am sticking with Ten Dam since he is more of an attacker than Mollema and both have been riding very well this season. There's also a bit of pressure on them now they need a new team sponsor.

Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I am going to go with David Miller for the yellow.

https://twitter.com/millarmind/status/483690684571197440

"For Sale. Been raced, not much. Battery fully charged (I think). Good condition. Reasonable offers please. "

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let's hope his team can find a new sponsor for next year too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Off topic. Think there will be a spanish armada working against Froome. Especially with Kruzieger off the team will Contrador get help with teaming up with Valverde,Movistar and possibly even Nibali to try to unseat Froome in the forst week? What you thinks?
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
jackmott wrote:
I predict Froome will not win.

Agree.

And the most important thing is that THE JENS will be there!

Best quote from Jens after the Tour of California- "I was attacked by 100 riders. 50 guys were told don't let Jens go, and the other 50 were told, if Jens goes, you go".

Pure Jens gold
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
Yellow: Horner hasn't raced all year so that makes him the odds-on favorite.

Excellent, I'm sure this is not sarcasm and you have dropped that notion of having to get into race fitness =)

My heart is with Horner. My intelligent guest mixed with hope is Tallansky. This could be a really fun year.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by grizzlysix [ In reply to ]
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [over9000!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
over9000! wrote:
Also people are xenophobic against alien life forms:

Mind blown.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could be, certainly looked that way at the Vuelta in 2012.
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems that Dave M and the Garmin DS's (Vaughters & Wegelius) are at odds on this. Millar saying he is shattered, the managers saying he is sick......I've always liked Millars riding would have thought he'd make the ideal road captain for Talansky as a tour sign-off but I"m not close enough to really know what is going on. Lets see what unfolds.

markg wrote:
BLeP wrote:

"For Sale. Been raced, not much. Battery fully charged (I think). Good condition. Reasonable offers please. "
Quote Reply
Re: TdF (Tour de France) 2014 Thread [markg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markg wrote:
BLeP wrote:

he is such a whiner... pfffff

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next