Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Just as a data point a guy here in town did 42,000ft. of climbing in 20 hours or so for the Strava Rapha Rising challenge.

Wow... did he win? Do you have a link to his file?

He won the single day competition they had within that thing, to my recollection. The single day is here. Evidently the Garmin crapped out on part of the ride. BTW, check out his amount climbed this year - absolutely sick.
Last edited by: sand101: Dec 17, 12 9:20
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [sand101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And yea, he won the whole thing.

sand101 wrote:
rruff wrote:
Just as a data point a guy here in town did 42,000ft. of climbing in 20 hours or so for the Strava Rapha Rising challenge.

Wow... did he win? Do you have a link to his file?

He won the single day competition they had within that thing, to my recollection. The single day is here. Evidently the Garmin crapped out on part of the ride. BTW, check out his amount climbed this year - absolutely sick.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a 67 mile ride that plops you at the base of Chimborazo to hike up the final 6.5K feet.

ding ding ding ... i think we have a winner.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if this has been posted yet (I haven't read he entire thread):

Sherpa climbs Everest in record time
A Sherpa scaled Mount Everest in 10 hours and 56 minutes, setting a new record for the fastest climb of the world's highest mountain.
Lakpa Gyelu, 35, broke a record set by fellow Sherpa guide Pemba Dorjee, just last week, who reached the 29,035ft summit in 12 hours, 45 minutes.
Both left from the base camp, located at 17,380ft, they said.
Most climbers take about four days to cover the distance over the mountain's steep and icy slopes.
It was Gyelu's 10th successful ascent of Mount Everest.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:
Here's a 67 mile ride that plops you at the base of Chimborazo to hike up the final 6.5K feet.

ding ding ding ... i think we have a winner.

Thats a bit more than a Hike, thats mountaneering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skinning/climbing mt st. elias. 18000+ feet. then you can also (not been done yet) ski from summit to shore

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Badwater Basin in Death Valley to Mount Whitney, CA. -282 feet to 14,505 feet. Total gain of 14,787 in 131 miles. Definitely a long ride but also definitely possible under human power. On a side note, Death Valley is the best spring break training location available. 5,000+ foot climbs easily accessible at low altitude with zero chance of rain and 70-85 degree weather. Extremely interesting landscape as well. You haven't really biked unless you've ridden in Death Valley.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [iheartfestina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several 24-hour fell (hills/mountains) running challenges in the UK - the most famous is the Bob Graham Round in the Lake District (42 peaks, 66 miles 27000' climb - the record is an obscene 13:53).

There's also a classic Scottish one - the Ramsay Round: 24 hours, 24 Munros (hills over 3000'), 56 miles, 28500' climb.

One of our Celtman! finishers from 2012, Tom Philips, just did it.

In winter, gulp (10deg below, snow, ice, cornices etc. the whole way).

Cheers

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My memory may be playing tricks on me, but didn't Jure Robic set a record for riding up and down the Ventoux for 24hrs? I recall backing out his VAM and it was >1200.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gah! you're right. i forgot my own comment above about the mountaineering stuff. chimborazo looks like a serious final ascent year round. i guess it still fits entirely within dan's parameters but ....
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [Paul McG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not trying to be aggressive but we're on page N of this thread and people are still missing dan's key point: a single ascent ... he wasn't asking about how to put together 24hrs of lots of vertical.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [iheartfestina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"On a side note, Death Valley is the best spring break training location available."

the wife and i were just in death valley week before last, running and horseback riding. if what we're talking about here is an actual future recognized activity, you could get yourself into the 10,000' club (in fact, you'd top 11,000') just via riding from badwater, up wildrose, and then afoot to telescope peak. that right there is pretty close to my PR for bottom to top elevation in one day. that actually beats indian wells to san jacinto peak by a few hundred feet. there's one other way to get 10,000' done in california. lone pine to whitney would do it. i think that's about in in california. charleston peak outside of vegas almost touches 12,000', but it's hard to find any place in vegas that gets below 2000'. however, i think that's do-able.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not like this would beat some of the others, but the ride from Bormio to the top of Passo di Stelvio ends in a ski resort at the pass. This ski resort is only open in the summer because it is snowed in during the winter. You would then have the option of running to the summit of XC skiing or snowshoeing up. The problem is Bormio is already "too far up" at around 1200m

Trento Italy 180k away is down at 190 feet
Passo di Stelvio is at 9045 feet.
Ski Stelvio Summit at 3451m = 11388 ft

Total would be over 11,000 feet of climbing in one shot with 180k ride. Totally doable in a day.

OK OK....are we having fun on this thread or what? Slowman, when are you having the ST Stelvio + Gavia + Mortirola camp?

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 18, 12 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
The problem is Bormio is already "too far up" at around 1200m

so why not start from Sondrio? you would add another 60k of riding but Sondrio is at around 400m so that would be another 800m of vertical...
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"The problem is Bormio is already "too far up" at around 1200m"

why is that? i started at 2400m and ended at around 5500m. not a problem. of course, my ride was very short. i only had to ride, total for the day, maybe 60k.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"The problem is Bormio is already "too far up" at around 1200m"

why is that? i started at 2400m and ended at around 5500m. not a problem. of course, my ride was very short. i only had to ride, total for the day, maybe 60k.

So are you going to run up Stelvio after riding the first 9000 feet, or will you ski to 11,000. When is the ST camp? I think you need to invite Uli as tour guide and also so that he can impose random testing in case anyone tries to juice up. Maybe you should invite Hampsten and he can take us up Gavia too....first American Grand Tour win out of an American team....Giro 88:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Telescope Peak 11,049 ft in Death Valley from Badwater -282 ft you could ride about 80 miles to trailhead at 8,100 ft run the 14 miles roundtrip to the summit and back return to Badwater for a pleasant 22,662 ft total
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [mtntri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if that was the rules you could do this
http://cyclinginfo.co.uk/...rld-records-cycling/
65 000 feet of climbing in 1 day .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did anyone mention speed ascents of El Capitan? I have no idea how high but it's up there.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The rules slowman decided on have been discussed a lot here, you have to go up, then down in 24 hours, climbing in yosemity might net you a 4k elevation gain.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
El cap 3200ft of vertical rock, simul climb record of 2:21 is crazy fast. That's 6min a pitch x2 people.

It took me a week to climb it back in the day.

Crazy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Killian Jornet has a plan,
http://www.summitsofmylife.com/en/the-challenge

He says for Everest,
"The attempt to break the ascent and descent record on the world’s highest mountain.
To break the record: 22:29 h"

but not sure what altitude that record started from.. still, that must be a contender..
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Idaho Springs is closer to 7000ft for a 7000ft climb to the Mt Evans summit. Even if you start down in Denver it's "only" about a 9000ft climb.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Los Andes to Aconcagua linkup for the win (2,687' to 22,841' = 20,154' net gain!!!), I wonder if anyone has ever done it? I would imagine you'd want to have your start finish point @ 10,000ft or so to stay relatively acclimated, go down to Los Andes first, then summit and return.

This is bush league in comparison - yesterday I did Lee Vining to the top of Mount Dana and back bike>hike>bike (6,781' to 13,061 = 6,280' net gain) . Was curious what the record was for such things, which is how I landed here. I'm eying the Lone Pine to Whitney and back link-up (3,727' to 14,505' = 10,778' net gain). Not quite as badass as Badwater, but would still be pretty neat.

PS, Paraglidings gotta be out of the question, they can just sit there and ride a thermal up to 32,000' ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/...orm-at-32000-ft.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Teide is 12198´ and you can ride your bike from sea level to about 7800´, run/walk the rest and return the same way during daylight.

I tried it but had to turn about 400´ from the summit as to not have to do the bike descent in the dark. I curse myself for not setting of at first light...
Quote Reply

Prev Next