Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
During an Everest documentary they detailed a danish man (I believe he was Danish, one of the Viking countries) who Biked from his home to Everest base camp, made the summit, then biked back home.

Thats Goran Kropp, I think he was from Norway but I could be wrong, he died a few years back in a climbing accident.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [Derf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"How about local to you, Dan? Start at the low point in San Bernardino (~1000 ft) and go up Vivian Creek to San Gorgonio."

i'm not sure, but i think the most elevation in socal would be palm desert to san jacinto peak. you start at indian wells village shopping center. exactly 200' above sea level. you ride the pines to palms hwy (74) to idyllwild. you can ride your bike to 6500'. it's 45mi one way. then you climb to the summit, 10,834. so you have 10,634 vertical, and it's a 90mi round trip on the bike.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

You can ride from the town of Fuji on the coast up Fuji Skyline to 8300 ft which is about 26 miles from there you can hike to the top. It should be totally doable in a day. I'm not saying it isn't hard. Just you get more vert doing Mauna Kea.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the beauty of Mt Vinson: up to 24 hours of daylight available!

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [vertical_doug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is it for Mt Vinson? It may be close enough to the Ocean to be a contender, no?

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [Trirunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong, but i want to say no-go for it being a contender.

base camp is around 7,000 feet and the summit is 16,000. I think you wouldnt be able to make it in a day if you started far enough away to lose signifigant elevation....

but you do have 24 hours of daylight.
Last edited by: IRONwolf: Dec 16, 12 8:46
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [mjkoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race from Idaho springs has only 6500 feet of climbing over 27 miles. The record is 1:41 //

They must have changed the start line over the years, when i did it in 83 i think it was, we started at around 6500ft and the race was 28 miles. I think Alexi Greywall won in around a low 1;50+ or so. So we did around 7500ft+ in just over 2 hours(2;15 for me) Hardest race i have ever done, sprinting at 14k feet was no fun, and you passed out right after. Lots of 02 for the finishers though..
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [vertical_doug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vertical_doug wrote:

You can ride from the town of Fuji on the coast up Fuji Skyline to 8300 ft which is about 26 miles from there you can hike to the top. It should be totally doable in a day. I'm not saying it isn't hard. Just you get more vert doing Mauna Kea.

Hey, I thought all the three paved roads on Fuji took you to the 5th station only (around 6000 foot level) and did not realize that one of them takes you to 8600 feet.

I rode the Azami line to the 5th station a few years ago and that ancient road had the steepest pitches of road that I had been on in my life. The graph does not tell the full story because that is the average over each kilometer....the straight sections between switchbacks are more like 20+ %. Looking back at it the Azami line road to the 5th is probably very similar to Kaloko outside Kona. I got up to 87 kph between a few of those switchbacks between the 3rd and 2nd kilometer where it is a bit more straight and you can get into a nice tuck. I was trying to get past 90 kph, but a bus got in the way :-(

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
someday I will do this too

The 5th stations are all different heights. I am slightly off on the height of the Fujinomiya line, it is 2500m. This route is the fastest and most direct to the summit. They recommend 5hrs up 2 hrs down. My experience with japanese guide times is somewhere around 2/3 is more reasonable if you are just brisk hiking.

There are 5 routes up, one loop route and then Aokigahara Jukai Forest. The saying in Japan is once your lost in Aokigahara, no one will find you. It is only forest in Japan on a lava flow, the trees are old and there are lots of lava tubes to fall into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

>until i think up more rules, those are the rules.

Draft legal or pure time trial? Obviously since it's mostly climbing drafting isn't going to be a huge factor in most of these, but for the Badwater one, it can sure make a difference on the desert flats.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am sad that he has died.

Glad that he died in an adventure.

IRONwolf wrote:
jackmott wrote:
During an Everest documentary they detailed a danish man (I believe he was Danish, one of the Viking countries) who Biked from his home to Everest base camp, made the summit, then biked back home.

Thats Goran Kropp, I think he was from Norway but I could be wrong, he died a few years back in a climbing accident.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

>LATE ADD: okay, how about orizaba, mexico, to pico de orizaba. 4000' to 18,500'. there's 14,500' available. i think that's do-able, bottom to top and back, in a day.

Dude. Look in your backyard. Badwater: -282'. Whitney: 14,505'. Bike the Badwater Ultra course, then run the little jaunt up to the summit. Turn around and head back. And the total is quite a bit more than 14,787', as anyone who's done Badwater can tell you.

EDIT: OK, that would be hard in one day, but some variation on it might be possible.[/quote]
I think you've got a pretty good one here. In the continental US, that's the highest and lowest point, so it's a no-brainer good choice. Some of the foreign ones may have more ideal venues, but I'd rather keep it in the US.

I remember thinking the same thing when I first visited this area. We rode up from Lone Pine to the Whitney parking lot, then rode back down to the van. Then, we drove up to the top and ran the first 5 or 6 miles of the trail but turned around when we ran out of daylight (didn't start the ride until ~2PM I think). Going all the way to the top, you'll probably have to bring a lot of supplies. Having an "aid station" part way up the mountain would help. I haven't rode the part down below 3K feet, but I'm guessing that would be the hardest part. You'd want to ride the low elevations in the darkness while it's still cool, obviously.

IIRC, someone told me that you are only required to get a permit if you are sleeping on the mountain. I don't know if that's true, but I've heard of guys doing the summit and back without permits.

Honestly though, what's the point in riding back down to the place you started once you've already gone up (typically the hardest part)? I'd like to see the rules changed to a one-way uphill trip in a given time period.

Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [jkenny5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkenny5150 wrote:
trail wrote:

>LATE ADD: okay, how about orizaba, mexico, to pico de orizaba. 4000' to 18,500'. there's 14,500' available. i think that's do-able, bottom to top and back, in a day.

Dude. Look in your backyard. Badwater: -282'. Whitney: 14,505'. Bike the Badwater Ultra course, then run the little jaunt up to the summit. Turn around and head back. And the total is quite a bit more than 14,787', as anyone who's done Badwater can tell you.

EDIT: OK, that would be hard in one day, but some variation on it might be possible.

I think you've got a pretty good one here. In the continental US, that's the highest and lowest point, so it's a no-brainer good choice. Some of the foreign ones may have more ideal venues, but I'd rather keep it in the US.

I remember thinking the same thing when I first visited this area. We rode up from Lone Pine to the Whitney parking lot, then rode back down to the van. Then, we drove up to the top and ran the first 5 or 6 miles of the trail but turned around when we ran out of daylight (didn't start the ride until ~2PM I think). Going all the way to the top, you'll probably have to bring a lot of supplies. Having an "aid station" part way up the mountain would help. I haven't rode the part down below 3K feet, but I'm guessing that would be the hardest part. You'd want to ride the low elevations in the darkness while it's still cool, obviously.

IIRC, someone told me that you are only required to get a permit if you are sleeping on the mountain. I don't know if that's true, but I've heard of guys doing the summit and back without permits.

Honestly though, what's the point in riding back down to the place you started once you've already gone up (typically the hardest part)? I'd like to see the rules changed to a one-way uphill trip in a given time period.[/quote]
Yes, I would like to see slowman's rules changed on the downhill part. I get it from the mountaineering world that you have to get you butt down off the peak for it to count (we don't really know what happened to Mallory, but we know about Hillary and Tenzing).

Personally in the next 2 years, I am going to give the Kona to Mauna Kea summit a shot....ride form Kona to 9300 feet, then run/walk hike the final 4400 feet. I did the recce this year and I THINK it is possible as long as you don't get totally destroyed by wind. I THINK if you can make it to 9300 feet by noon or 1 pm, you have it in the bag because wind won't kill the run/hike part of the climb. I am planning to get a lift off the summit. No way I am running 7 miles back downhill. I ran 2 of those 7 miles this year and that was quad busting enough descending continuously at 15%.

All photos copy write Tim Carlson

This is the 17% section on Mauna Kea around 8500 feet up...barely going at 5 kph (34x32 gearing)

Shuffling at 15 min per miles running up the 15% gravel...really we were trying to run and both feet are not really on the ground

Downhill at 15%...that really is steep

Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, this is primarily a triathlon forum, not a mountaineering forum. We are at far less risk getting stranded (and freezing, etc.) on Mt. Whitney or Mauna Kea than on Everest. Awesome photos from the big island, BTW.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably not the greatest elevation gain but i think riding from the beach at Paia bay in Maui to the top of Haleakala would be epic. I think it is about 36 miles and 10'000ft elevation gain. I have driven it before while on my honeymoon and swore that I would be back to ride it. How cool would it be to ride from a beach to 10,000ft.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is a 28 mile ride that will take you from 1200 feet to 13000 in just 28 miles. Ouch.
http://tinyurl.com/c526dwt

Here's a 67 mile ride that plops you at the base of Chimborazo to hike up the final 6.5K feet.
http://tinyurl.com/c83as42

Here's 47 that will take you from coast to 16,000 feet. That'll hurt, particularly the 14K feet in the last 20 miles. Sick.
http://tinyurl.com/d6xgwp7

Last edited by: kny: Dec 16, 12 20:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goran Kropp(the Viking)rode his bike from Sweden to base camp of Everest(99), then solo climbed it without oxygen. Then he rode his bike home to Sweden. 15,000 miles round trip.

He died 3yrs later on an easy trad climb in Washington State.

Do him some justice and read about him!

Rg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found the link, if I´m not wrong 9702 meters are 31830,71 feet

here is the link http://www.foromtb.com/...-P%C3%A1gina-2/page5

inaba116 wrote:
Probably not the greatest elevation gain but i think riding from the beach at Paia bay in Maui to the top of Haleakala would be epic. I think it is about 36 miles and 10'000ft elevation gain. I have driven it before while on my honeymoon and swore that I would be back to ride it. How cool would it be to ride from a beach to 10,000ft.

This! It's probably the easiest logistically. You can ride the entire elevation on the bike of your choosing on paved roads. I drove it on my honeymoon and went back three weeks ago on our 30th and rode to the summit and back down. And, it's actually 100023 feet of climbing and yes, it is really cool, especially coming down ;)
Last edited by: TJ56: Dec 17, 12 8:25
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 good search kny
that one gives a chance of 20 000+ feet gain if you climb up Chimborazo

Here's a 67 mile ride that plops you at the base of Chimborazo to hike up the final 6.5K feet.
http://tinyurl.com/c83as42

Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as a data point a guy here in town did 42,000ft. of climbing in 20 hours or so for the Strava Rapha Rising challenge. I was pretty impressed with that.

Our largest elevation change is about 5-600ft., so no huge climbs, but obviously lots and lots of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [jkenny5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but notably Rainier is not included in that list. There is no way to do a safe ascent of Rainier that does not involve careful consideration of mountaineering risks and techniques. You can die from weather-related complications on Rainier at any time of year - not so with Whitney or Mauna Kea.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [PaulDavis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PaulDavis wrote:
but notably Rainier is not included in that list. There is no way to do a safe ascent of Rainier that does not involve careful consideration of mountaineering risks and techniques. You can die from weather-related complications on Rainier at any time of year - not so with Whitney or Mauna Kea.

It looks like you will be doing 18,000 feet of climbing in this city to Summit IM event this year. That one might take the cake but I think Slowman still wants a single sustained climb.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [sand101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just as a data point a guy here in town did 42,000ft. of climbing in 20 hours or so for the Strava Rapha Rising challenge.

Wow... did he win? Do you have a link to his file?

Quote Reply

Prev Next