Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats another one I thought about as you could run up a bit higher.
edit after Corico their is still a good bit of dwonhill cant rember how much but i would guess another 1500 -2000 feet.

Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Don't know if it is close to a record but there was a Kiwi MTB'er who did the Yunga's Rd (worlds most dangerous rd) from Corioco at 3,900ft to La Cumbre Pass at 15,200ft before connecting to the road to Chacaltaya Ski Lodge above La Paz at 17,400.I believe he did the 80k'ish in around 9hrs on a MTB.

I used to ride from La Paz to La Cumbre as a hard uphill TT once a week...Damned near killed me.

---
Last edited by: pk: Dec 15, 12 15:08
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You asshole. Now that you've got me thinking about it, not only do I think it's possible, but I want to do it. Burn in hell :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>You asshole. Now that you've got me thinking about it, not only do I think it's possible, but I want to do it. Burn in hell :)

Yeah, I got myself thinking about it. I was going to do just the ascent half of it a couple of years ago for my buddy's 40th birthday, but I got injured and had to drop out so it's on my unfulfilled list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, fuck it. when are you free?

Eliot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How about this.

Sea level to Mauna Loa summit by bike.....13500 feet. Aparently Mauna Loa is recently repaved and much less severe than Mauna Kea
Ride down to saddle road (you are back at 6000 feet).
Back up to Mauna Kea visitor center (9300 feet)
Run to Summit 13800 feet.

That would be 21300 feet.

I don't think you could do this in an entire day. Winds alone could derail the plan of getting to one summit, forget about two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>well, fuck it. when are you free?

The best time of year would probably be Sept-Oct. You want to hit it when the mountain is clear of snow/ice, and Death Valley isn't set to thermonuclear.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find any 24 hour vertical ascent record. I was able to fine the highest and lowest points in all countries:

http://www.worldatlas.com/...infopage/highlow.htm

Bolivia (6400m), Bhutan (7400m) and Chile (6900m) all have some capable low to high altitude gains. China has more than any of these, but I don't think you can get from a low enough point to Mt Everest and back in one day. I think that would also eliminate Bhutan, since their highest road only goes to 12000 feet of altitude.

The difficulty I'm having is matching roads to high places that start in low places.

These are some of the highest roads in the world:

http://www.viewfinderpanoramas.org/highestpass.html

I'd like to be able to connect more dots, but I can't. Possibly only Chile and Bolivia have the infrastructure (!) needed for this world record attempt.

Perhaps Mexico is the winner!

Mark

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. Many aspects to juggle. Would like to maximize daylight, but there's usually still lots of snow in June, and then DV is going to be toasty. Further, permitting for Whitney is tough in-season.

I've been up Whitney in mid-October, and it had already snowed, and it was not a pleasant experience.

Permit season ends...what, Sep. 30? Or is it Labor Day weekend?

Eliot
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i just wonder what the record is. does anybody know? i mean, the record for low elevation to high and then back down. or, even just low to high.

Ok, so you're looking for largest altitude difference achieved in a single day under human power. That's got to come out of the Andes, probably Chile. Someone'll figure that out. There's some high peaks in the Simian Mountains of Ethiopia reachable from near sea level, but not high enough to compete with the Andes. Or, maybe these guys have the record.... :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emK-qIbuJ-k

Now, how about the record of total human powered elevation gain in a 24 hour period? I know the Double Everest stair climbing nut jobs (yes, Danny Chew, I'm talking about you!) from Pittsburgh. What other approach may have topped that?
Last edited by: kny: Dec 15, 12 15:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kilimanjaro has been ascended in less than 9 hours. That's roughly 13,000' of gain. Presumably such an athlete could run back down in maybe 6-7 hours. That would leave several hours in the day. The topography would allow someone to start a few thousand feet below the regular start, ride to the start and run from there. 15,000' of gain might be doable within 24 hours.

To do more than that, you might need a scuba start to Mauna Kea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rainier has been done from sea level to summit back to Paradise in about 21 hours. Perhaps someone could do the full round trip in 24 hours, giving 14,410 of elevation gain.
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [ike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think this would be a pretty cool record standard. maybe have minimum segments ride and run so that it's truly multisport, for example, at least 30 percent of the elevation has to be done off the bike. maybe have a 24hr record and a 12hr record, maybe an 8hr record, 4hr, so that you could actually have races that were possible inside of daylight.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

>Permit season ends...what, Sep. 30? Or is it Labor Day weekend?

Nov 1, it looks like, for the quota system. After that you can get day-of permits (but after Nov. 1 would be too late, probably).

I'd prefer late-summer/fall because I bike race, and I think this might be the type of thing that could jack up race performance for a month or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a couple friends do Badwater->Whitney (mountaineers route) and back to LP a year ago October. Not all the way back to Badwater (yet). Seems like a really long day, but quite doable. I was invited but though them a bit nuts (and I was outclassed on the mountaineering skills).

D

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Last edited by: Derf: Dec 15, 12 16:42
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
How about this.

Sea level to Mauna Loa summit by bike.....13500 feet. Aparently Mauna Loa is recently repaved and much less severe than Mauna Kea
Ride down to saddle road (you are back at 6000 feet).
Back up to Mauna Kea visitor center (9300 feet)
Run to Summit 13800 feet.

That would be 21300 feet.

I don't think you could do this in an entire day. Winds alone could derail the plan of getting to one summit, forget about two.

---

Mate,stop thinking like one of those lazy old Ironmen,there is more than 17hrs in a day..;-)

---
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Something about shuffling up to the Mauna Kea summit in pitch darkness is scary....but the sunrise really could be glorious!
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Riding from Golden 5260 feet just outside Denver to top of Mt Evans 14,265 is 50 mile one way with over 10,000 feet of climbing depending on your route. It is not too steep.
The race from Idaho springs has only 6500 feet of climbing over 27 miles. The record is 1:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Slowman, To some extent if you want one ascent, you have to look at something called topographic prominence. It is concerned with vertical height relative to its surroundings. It is the lowest contour line that surrounds the peak.

Even though Everest is the highest peak and has a highest prominence, you can't climb from the lowest contour line. In fact, I doubt anyone has round tripped Everest from base camp in a day. Base - 17,598 ft, Summit 29,028 11,430 gain.

If you are looking at prominence which can be climbed in a day, the big two are Rainier and Mauna Kea.
If you can do Rainier from sea level in a day, 14,411 ft. Mauna Kea 13,796.
My guess is for Rainier will be 13,196 ft so Mauna Kea is it.
Mt Fuji is only 12,388 ft from sea level and totally doable.

On the topographic prominence listing, Pico de Orizaba is 18,491 ft high with 16,148 for prominence. So you may be right in thinking this is your best bet.
Last edited by: vertical_doug: Dec 15, 12 19:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ike wrote:
Kilimanjaro has been ascended in less than 9 hours. That's roughly 13,000' of gain. Presumably such an athlete could run back down in maybe 6-7 hours. That would leave several hours in the day. The topography would allow someone to start a few thousand feet below the regular start, ride to the start and run from there. 15,000' of gain might be doable within 24 hours.

To do more than that, you might need a scuba start to Mauna Kea.

The Kilimanjaro record was broken two years ago by Kilian Jornet, (arguably the world's greatest trail ultra runner).

From base camp at 5249' to summit at 19340', represents a climb of 13960'. Jornet ascended in 5:23, spent about 10 minutes at the summit, and descended in a phenominal 1:41 for a total time of 7:14.

As an aside, a couple of decades ago Australian mountaineer Tim MacCartney Snape did a solo ascent of Everest, starting from the Indian Ocean.

Another thought for the Mauna Loa ascents. You could add another 100' or so by starting the day with a scuba dive!
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [vertical_doug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed that it'll have to be a volcano to pull it off, but Slowman is right to look in other parts of the world (than just the US) for some big, but technically easy, volcanos (e.g. Popo, Ixta, Pico de Orizaba, Kilimanjaro).

How about local to you, Dan? Start at the low point in San Bernardino (~1000 ft) and go up Vivian Creek to San Gorgonio.

Or the triple crown (Baldy + Gorgonio + Jacinto) by bike and foot? No way you'd do that in 24 hours, though.

The question of who is right and who is wrong has seemed to me always too small to be worth a moment's thought, while the question of what is right and what is wrong has seemed all-important.

-Albert J. Nock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another (possibly) interesting aside is that last weekend in Australia was the Coast to Kosciuszko Ultramarathon. 150 miles from the beach to the summit of Mt Kosciuszko, Australia's highest mountain at a modest 7310'. Course records are 26:02 (men) and 30:11 (women).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kilimanjaro record:

http://www.ultrarunning.com/...-speed-record-.shtml

14,000 feet up, 14,000 feet down. 33 miles

7 hours 14 minutes

Unbelievable.

Bet the guy could do it 2x in less than 24 hours so that's 28K in a day ... on foot.

... Or he could run some little 1-mile, 500-foot hill 55x or something ...
Last edited by: TBinMT: Dec 15, 12 21:33
Quote Reply
Re: Greatest elevation gain under human power [vertical_doug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vertical_doug wrote:

Slowman, To some extent if you want one ascent, you have to look at something called topographic prominence. It is concerned with vertical height relative to its surroundings. It is the lowest contour line that surrounds the peak.

Even though Everest is the highest peak and has a highest prominence, you can't climb from the lowest contour line. In fact, I doubt anyone has round tripped Everest from base camp in a day. Base - 17,598 ft, Summit 29,028 11,430 gain.

If you are looking at prominence which can be climbed in a day, the big two are Rainier and Mauna Kea.
If you can do Rainier from sea level in a day, 14,411 ft. Mauna Kea 13,796.
My guess is for Rainier will be 13,196 ft so Mauna Kea is it.
Mt Fuji is only 12,388 ft from sea level and totally doable.

On the topographic prominence listing, Pico de Orizaba is 18,491 ft high with 16,148 for prominence. So you may be right in thinking this is your best bet.

I have an interview in the works with John McGovern from his running race up Fuji. I need to find out the base altitude that they ran from, but it may already have been 2000 feet up from sea level. It is still around 10000 feet on foot in a single shot. This is the quote I have from him:

"The race was 21.1 kilometers with 3000 meters of elevation gain. This works out to an average grade of 14.2%, but it's not a steady grade, and gets wildly steep after the first 15 kilometers."

In that half marathon they finish at the 10th station at the summit, but you have to run down on your own power down 2000m (around 6600 feet) down the mountain to the 5th station from where they had busing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i've wondered this from time to time. if the metric was: highest total elevation gain, in one day, up AND back down (round trip), under human powered locomotion (walking, running, cycling, nordic skiing, crawling, etc.) what would the best available options be? if one wanted to set a record, establish or break a record.

dev paul would have done 13,800 or so this year in kona had he had the time, riding from the ocean to the top of the paved road, then running to the top. assuming he returned the same route! i've done a little over 10,000 feet.

cuautla sits at 4,500 feet above sea level. popocatepetl sits at about 18,500 feet. so, there's 14,000 available, achievable, feet. road cycling to 12,800 or so, then hiking, then non-technical ice climbing. what would beat that?

LATE ADD: okay, how about orizaba, mexico, to pico de orizaba. 4000' to 18,500'. there's 14,500' available. i think that's do-able, bottom to top and back, in a day.

i did Orizaba in one day, I have also done it in 2 days. Very doable in a single day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
During an Everest documentary they detailed a danish man (I believe he was Danish, one of the Viking countries) who Biked from his home to Everest base camp, made the summit, then biked back home.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply

Prev Next