Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Mike C] [ In reply to ]

Mike C wrote:

There could be a way to circumvent that process, in other words, WTC could create and sanction their own transfer process, and then and only then would a transfer be authorized. Black market now nonexistent.

Your logical thinking is not welcome here on Slowtwitch.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [KyraMorgan] [ In reply to ]

Curious if they were both in the same age group? I'll get the rope, be back in a minute!

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]

kathy_caribe wrote:
I personally think that if I were in your shoes, I'd be considering myself incredibly lucky that the "cheating" example is what bothers me instead of searching for clean water to drink, hoping I don't freeze at night or am killed before morning. On the scale of things to be concerned with in life, your example wouldn't even figure into my mind. AND I don't consider it cheating and really could not care what people do with their sporting lives. All you can control is yourself.
^^^^^^^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^^^
(well mostly.)

KyraMorgan wrote:
What constitutes "Cheating"…?

I was at IMAZ this weekend to watch several friends race..GREAT TIME!!! Around three months ago one particular friend started posting on Instagram/FB how he was suddenly going to IMAZ. I assumed this was a charity spot since I knew it soldout in a matter of minutes. Last week I found out this person was going to race under another person's bib number. Apparently, the person who registered didn't feel like racing but didn't want his registration to go to waste and approached the presient of his tri club to see if anyone wanted it. One of my friends was offered the bib but declined, he didn't feel it was right since it was against WTC rules, the other friend accepted. Fast forward to Thursday, person flies to Phoenix, checks-in and hands over his bib. This starts sinking in and I'm starting to have some real problems with this, more so than I was having earlier in the week, probably because this is the first time I'm realizing the enormity of a WTC/IM event. As we are walking around race day, we actually run in the person who didn't feel like racing, he's jolly as Santa Claus walking around with his camera equipment….WTF!!!

As the day goes on I'm just getting pissed. Why, because this goes against WTC rules. I'm grappling with is this cheating or not. I feel it is. So I ask several people thier opinion. One response I received, "WTC has the audacity to ask for money a YEAR in advance, what happens if I get injured…money goes to waste. They make enough money they won't miss it, it's unfair they do that anyway….." My response "it's their race, they make the rules, if you don't like them or are worried about injury or life happening then you have the option not to sign up, there are plenty of other events you can do…." Another argument I received when asked their finish time of 12+ hrs.. "oh well he's a MOP, since he's not qualifying for Kona it doesn't matter. MOP/BOP don't' really matter." Again, WTF!!!! Dude really, are you fucking kidding me MOP or BOP don't matter?? Just because someone isn't qualifying for Kona doesn't mean their overall ranking in div, doesn't matter to them. Another example is the now infamous "T3" scandal…supposedly she was just a few minutes off from the 500,000 IM finisher, could you imagine if she was!!! What a mess that would have been, same goes for racing under another persons name. I don't even want to think had this person racing IMAZ been in an accident.

Now I'll be honest here, my emotions are a little involved on what to do. This person is a little bit of a pompous douche. All he ever talks about how he never gets passed on the bike and how fast he is. In fact as soon as he finished he was gloating about only 5 people passed him on the bike (yeah, he counted…WTF) what he failed to recognize was it was because everyone passed him on the swim (ok, that's me being mean, but still). This person is bragging about racing posting pics of his finishers medals including IMAZ. He's also a founding member of a group who "inspires athletes". I guess he's encouraging and inspiring athletes all over the world to partake in breaking the rules.

My question to all of you is, do you consider racing under another persons bib a form of cheating?

PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO A LANCE THREAD!!!

EDIT: I want to make myself clear the actions of both original bib owner and the person who raced are equally in question. I do not know if these two people are friends or acquaintances. This transaction was facilitated by the president of their tri club, who also raced this weekend.

I have seen this happen 3-4 times this year at WTC events, some did it not knowing it was illegal and others did it any way.

Penalty starts at 1 year ban....

My suggestion would be to send an email with the bib number in question and we can go from there, send it to timing@ironman.com and this will be forwarded to the right party at WTC and USAT.
With the photos out online now this is quite difficult to do without getting caught...

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]

BLeP wrote:
KyraMorgan wrote:
Oh he knows. I saw him this weekend. Had breakfast with him on Friday morning. He just sent me a text asking why I hate him so much. Regardless of what anyone thinks, it has nothing to do with hate.

I would out the guy that is selling his bibs because he is trying to take advantage of the IM Legacy program.

Now that is an excellent point. Id definitely tell him if he does it again you'll out him. At that point people are getting hurt. Otherwise you have better things to do than worry about a douchebag.

I went through the same thing when I came across a similar thread that happened at Augusta this year. I was ready to out the person but decided that with all the drama already caused locally that it was no use. Fast forward to today and I now know that the WTC didn't do anything about it. The group he was with is possibly dropping him. and the whole thing pretty much took care of itself, locally. He took credit for the race as well and bragged about his PR. That didn't sit well with a lot of people.

You have to decide for yourself what you think is best. I'm new to ST so I also was not ready to get on here and stir up a witch hunt. I hate it and I think it's cheating. I had never even thought about people abusing it to get into the legacy program. That makes me even more sick. But in the end for me, I had to rise above. Outing them would have caused me more grief than it was worth. Karma won this round luckily.

Wattie Ink Elite Team 2013/ Base Performance Ambassador 2011-Current

KyraMorgan wrote:
All he ever talks about how he never gets passed on the bike and how fast he is. In fact as soon as he finished he was gloating about only 5 people passed him on the bike (yeah, he counted…WTF) what he failed to recognize was it was because everyone passed him on the swim

Murphys Law did IMAZ???

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]

I don't care one way or the other, and if I knew and liked both parties, I wouldn't say anything, but I certainly wouldn't fault or look down upon anyone that did.

My question is, I know transferring a bib is easy, but how did they transfer the wristband?

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Rover24] [ In reply to ]

Rover24 wrote:
Curious if they were both in the same age group? I'll get the rope, be back in a minute!

No, 40-44 and 45-49.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]

LSUfan4444 wrote:
I don't care one way or the other, and if I knew and liked both parties, I wouldn't say anything, but I certainly wouldn't fault or look down upon anyone that did.

My question is, I know transferring a bib is easy, but how did they transfer the wristband?

People print money! How hard would it be to fake a wristband? One could pry it open, or cut it, and glue it back together. No one would notice, or say anything if they noticed. Or find the supplier and buy some wristbands in different colors.

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Mike C] [ In reply to ]

Mike C wrote:
While I think it would be nice to be able to transfer registrations... with races selling out in 40 seconds this would create a black market in an instance.

There could be a way to circumvent that process, in other words, WTC could create and sanction their own transfer process, and then and only then would a transfer be authorized. Black market now nonexistent.

Not really. Party A (who registered) has to agree to transfer to Party B. WTC charges $X to transfer (most likely the registration cost plus a fee, say $100 to $200). Party B has to pay Party A for the registration and the transfer. Who is to say that the agreement between party A and B isn't Registration Cost + Transfer Cost + another $200? But then WTC gets more money so what do they care?

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]

BLeP wrote:
Mike C wrote:

Your logical thinking is not welcome here on Slowtwitch.

Unless the transfer was blind there would always be the chance for you to do an out of process cash exchange.

Then again I'm quite certain that bib sales happen today, I've seen offers / requests for bibs to smaller races and we know someone podiumed at a Dallas marathon last year on a borrowed bib. So maybe with a sanctioned system it would be reduced.... maybe not.

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]

Runner Rick wrote:
GAUG3 wrote:
500K IM finisher was in Florida. I was there catching when he came in. What scandal are you referring to?

One of the greatest threads ever on Slowtwitch: IM FL Cheater

I need to make sure to come over on this side more often and stop spending so much time in the Lavendar Room, when you guys get in an uproar it is actually fun, we just keep telling each other we are idiots.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]

being that the number on my wristband was checked numerous times during IMFLA (bike pick up and special needs bag pick up) I think forging a wristband would be pretty complicated (assuming they have similar processes at IMAZ). Unless they just got a similar color wristband to walk through the starting corral on race morning, but the original athlete did everything else with the correct wristband.

Again, there are alot of ways it can be done, I was curious how it was done, not really how it could be done.
Last edited by: LSUfan4444: Nov 20, 12 12:52

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [j p o] [ In reply to ]

j p o wrote:
Runner Rick wrote:
GAUG3 wrote:
500K IM finisher was in Florida. I was there catching when he came in. What scandal are you referring to?

One of the greatest threads ever on Slowtwitch: IM FL Cheater

I need to make sure to come over on this side more often and stop spending so much time in the Lavendar Room, when you guys get in an uproar it is actually fun, we just keep telling each other we are idiots.
So whats your point? we do it over here also but mostly call other people idiots :0) just a technicality.

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Runner Rick] [ In reply to ]

It should be a blind process, as some other fairly large races have in place. Have a wait list, and if someone wants to pull out during some designated time period before the race, their entry goes back to the wait list, where it is then re-filled from said list.

Any other way and yes, for certain, there will be chances of some gouging/auctioning/black marketing of transfers, even with a "sanctioned" process.

kathy_caribe wrote:
I personally think that if I were in your shoes, I'd be considering myself incredibly lucky that the "cheating" example is what bothers me instead of searching for clean water to drink, hoping I don't freeze at night or am killed before morning. On the scale of things to be concerned with in life, your example wouldn't even figure into my mind. AND I don't consider it cheating and really could not care what people do with their sporting lives. All you can control is yourself.

killing babies is bad too. This is a tri website with tri questions.

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [LostNTransition] [ In reply to ]

[While I think it would be nice to be able to transfer registrations... with races selling out in 40 seconds this would create a black market in an instance.
If the WTC allowed transfers people would volunteer just to get the registration, then sell it for 2 or 3 or .... times the money.]

Yes, it would be nice but I do not see how it would create a black market if WTC controls it: i.e. introduce a transfer window of X days X months before the start of the event and the transfer must be done through WTC web site for a fee ( I am using Ottawa race weekend as an example here that allows to transfer 1/2 marathon registration for a 1 week period about 1 to 2 month before the start of the event for $15 through EventsOnline website).

Fred.

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]

Whats the age group situation? Are they both in the same age group? i didnt see that anywhere in the thread. I think its cheating, and both should be turned in. I raced IMAZ in 45-49 males AG. I would not like to know that 15 or 20 of those guys ahead me were actually just there on paper and I was actually beat by a bunch of younger guys. No, I was not anywhere close to a roll down slot but if people start all racing under different names and age groups it will seriously delete the integrity of the AG classification and legacy program.

I think I would out them both. Im surprised a Tri club president helped facilitate this.

---------------------------------
Hold my Beer and watch this!

KyraMorgan wrote:
GAUG3 wrote:
KyraMorgan wrote:
What constitutes "Cheating"…?

Another example is the now infamous "T3" scandal…supposedly she was just a few minutes off from the 500,000 IM finisher, could you imagine if she was!!! What a mess that would have been, same goes for racing under another persons name. I don't even want to think had this person racing IMAZ been in an accident.

Ahhhh the girl who cut the swim and run course at IMFL 3 weeks ago, this scandal!http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._reply;so=ASC;mh=50;[/quote[/url]]

DANG! The ONE day I wan't on ST and I miss this little gem. It's a beauty. Thanks for the link!

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [dhyoung9] [ In reply to ]

dhyoung9 wrote:
Whats the age group situation? Are they both in the same age group? i didnt see that anywhere in the thread. I think its cheating, and both should be turned in. I raced IMAZ in 45-49 males AG. I would not like to know that 15 or 20 of those guys ahead me were actually just there on paper and I was actually beat by a bunch of younger guys. No, I was not anywhere close to a roll down slot but if people start all racing under different names and age groups it will seriously delete the integrity of the AG classification and legacy program.

I think I would out them both. Im surprised a Tri club president helped facilitate this.

--

I can't speak for Kyra and don't know if they were in the same age group but you bring up a couple of interesting points.It would not surprise me at all if somewhere there is someone who has raced in Kona after another person qualified for them.

---

3 WTF in you post.
WTF?

Fred.

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [dhyoung9] [ In reply to ]

dhyoung9 wrote:

I asked earlier ---
Rover24 wrote:
No, 40-44 and 45-49.

It does make me feel better about being slow, knowing I raced my AG, without testosterone or cutting the course!

kathy_caribe wrote:

You choose to live where you do, Kathy. You're not going to make me feel guilty because you choose to live in a developing country and see this shit on a daily/weekly/monthly basis. You live in Mexico, I live in California....again I'm fairly certain by choice.

"Though she be but little, she is fierce" ~Shakespeare | Powered by HD Coaching | 2014 Wattie Ink Triathlon Team | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Re: IMAZ "Cheating"...? [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
.It would not surprise me at all if somewhere there is someone who has raced in Kona after another person qualified for them.

---

I hate to hijack, but I would hate more to start a new thread for this one question, BUT speaking of racing Kona potentially illegally.....If someone who was pro in 2011 raced say IMAZ, IMFLA or IMCoz, then in 2012 lost their pro card and qualified for Kona in the early part of 2012. Can they legally race in Kona in 2012 since it was not a year from their last pro race?
Last edited by: LSUfan4444: Nov 20, 12 13:23

Prev Next