Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
"triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing"
Quote | Reply
Found this quote from this article somewhat humorous....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443916104578020514003260282.html

The answer is clear slowtwitchers...we must make this a quadrathon and add bass fishing as the last event.

Last edited by: AJHull: Oct 2, 12 19:55
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AJHull wrote:
Found this quote from this article somewhat humorous....

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443916104578020514003260282.html

The answer is clear slowtwitchers...we must make this a quadrathon and add bass fishing as the last event.

Time to get over a couple of things.

...one..... posting a link to a Lance Armstrong article.......its all been kicked to death on this forum.....so much so L.A. is supposed to be a banned subject.

...two.......yep, bass fishing is way more popular than Triathlon, always has been,. and always will be.......we are a fringe sport, bass fishing isn't...the Bass fishing industry is mega huge.......one guy has earned over $5 million in prize earnings alone, at just one set of tournaments.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>X
If you run long enough....something is bound to happen
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [TriTrev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry...I thought the article was about bass fishing ;)

Quote | Reply
Bass Fishing (and fishing in general) is a huge industry - one of the two "Walmart sports" (the other being Nascar spectating).

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [jkahan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That explains the people of Walmart site I guess.

--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.fmcoaching.com / http://elpasotricoaching.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You Bastard!

You totally Lance-Rolled me!

I feel so dirty now....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bass fishing club at my alma mater actually makes money each year. Their expenses are an order of magnitude higher than any other club, but the year before I graduated there were a couple of pros on the team that won the club a nice bass boat, a truck, and tens of thousands of dollars.

Bass fishing is way more popular, has way more sponsors, and way more prize money. Pretty sweet sport actually if you think about it....

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If bass fishing is a real sport, then NASCAR or any other motor racing would have to be included as a sport as well. The only real physical challenge to fishing is not falling into the water and picking up a fish with a net. The difference between a good bass fisherman and a champion is not how strong or fit the fisherman is, its how fast his boat is and his or her luck at guessing (an educated guess but a guess nonetheless), where the fish are at any given time.
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
If bass fishing is a real sport, then NASCAR or any other motor racing would have to be included as a sport as well. The only real physical challenge to fishing is not falling into the water and picking up a fish with a net. The difference between a good bass fisherman and a champion is not how strong or fit the fisherman is, its how fast his boat is and his or her luck at guessing (an educated guess but a guess nonetheless), where the fish are at any given time.

Nascar drivers are in incredible shape. I'd call it a sport.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
C'mon, no one going to state the obvious? The OP was trolling...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has probably been linked in a different thread, but it's pretty interesting, especially the fact that Texas has criminalized cheating in fishing tournaments.
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poker is not a sport either but it is still televised on ESPN.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:

You clearly don't fish. Luck? Not fit? Come surf fishing with me for a week, hell for a day. I study surf maps, water charts, tide charts, moon phase charts, migration patterns, barometric pressures, weather patterns, fishing reports, etc. I spend time hand sharpening hooks, learning to tie knots, and crimp and make all my own rigs for a large variety of wind, weather, species, and current conditions. I spend ~way~ too much money on gear.

I practice my casting technique on land to get optimum distance and bait retention. Getting the bait to the fish is both technique and strength.

Once I'm there I spend up to a full day scouting the beach, walking miles and miles (my last trip we walked to our campsite from the access point 3 miles, then had to walk another 2 miles to our chosen spot EACH WAY). Then, I'm chucking 3-10oz of weight + bait 100+ yards with either a 10, 11, or 12ft surf rod. This is done ~ every 20min. While that is soaking I'm often also constantly casting with an 8ft rod and a 1/2-1oz lure- probably 500-800 casts a day. I do this all day from 5am until lunch, which depends on the tide, then continue on through dinner (cook on the beach) and into the wee hours of the night (1 or 2am, if the tides are best maybe 3am or 4am). Get a big fish on? Like a ray or a shark, and you're in for a 1+ hour fight that leaves you completely shelled.

After even 3 days of this, I'm sore, exhausted, and often dehydrated. But of course super happy. Sound like another sport we know?

So, don't lump everyone who fishes together. Luck makes up some portion of what I do, but we try to negate this as much as possible. Also, it's very physical- It can be VERY tough and many surf anglers weight lift in order to not get injured, just like bow hunters (which I do not do)

Quote | Reply
since you are in the know maybe you could enlighten me. I have absolutely no doubt there are more bass fisherman in the US than triathletes. But, are fishing tournaments really bigger than triathlons? i just have a hard time picturing thousands of boats showing up for a fishing tournament. I've only ever seen one tournament locally...and it was pretty small....much smaller than even the local sprint.

To be clear: I'm not trying to make triathlon seem better than fishing. i like fishing. I'm just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
since you are in the know maybe you could enlighten me. I have absolutely no doubt there are more bass fisherman in the US than triathletes. But, are fishing tournaments really bigger than triathlons? i just have a hard time picturing thousands of boats showing up for a fishing tournament. I've only ever seen one tournament locally...and it was pretty small....much smaller than even the local sprint.

To be clear: I'm not trying to make triathlon seem better than fishing. i like fishing. I'm just curious.

Well I've never been to a BASS tournament, but I have been to a surf fishing tournament...and it was definitely not as big as a big sprint tri (I can't remember how many but more than 50). But what Tri series exists that there is a multi-million dollar pay out?

My point in my response was it seemed you were assuming that fishing was for the dumb and fat (it's just luck and how fast your boat goes is what you insinuated). But for many, this is not the case at all.There is a lot of skill and hardwork that goes into it. Just like anything else, it is what you make it.

Sure, you can buy a $12 rod and reel and $1 worth of hooks and dig up some worms and go and just sit on a bucket and drink beer, and yes, there is a chance you'll catch a 50lb muskie. And that's why it'll remain more popular than triathlon- accesability and ease of the "sport" (even I will say it's often a stretch to say it's a sport).

But that is very much like folks who don't do any training and just go out and do a sprint tri on their mountain bikes. Nothing wrong with it, but it doesn't reflect a large portion of triathletes.

Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:

Presenting Tony Stewart, "one of the finest racers of his generation":

Sorry, couldn't help myself. (Though generally I agree with your point)
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:

Fishing tournaments are huge and I garantee you there are ten fold the times of fishing clubs in NA than there are tri clubs. To be successful it is a lot of work and knowledge of the sport and the area. Luck has very little to do with your best fisherman on the water I garantee. That would be like saying Andy Potts just got lucky to come into T1 first.

"Sometimes you got to learn to hurt"
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [greenmtnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're confusing me with another poster. I said nothing disparaging.

I like fishing. I did a lot of it when i was a kid. When I'm old and bored with triathlons, I plan on becoming a fly fisherman. I'm betting it's a lot of fun.
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
BLeP wrote:

haha this is great. I just thought I would add this:

Sport - "an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

That being said, I do not think bass fishers physically exert themselves.
Last edited by: nolken: Oct 3, 12 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [Nickwisdom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nickwisdom wrote:
You Bastard!

I feel so dirty now....

That's awesome!

We should make that a thing here. Probably wouldn't last too long though.
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [orphious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Poker is not a sport either but it is still televised on ESPN. ///

Poker=Bass Fishing--- I'm not really sure what category they both inhabit, game, event, activity, etc. but they are not sports. And i do both of them, however my bass fishing has never been competitive. Like soul surfing, i guess i'm a soul bass fisherman, fishing for food and fun off the
circuit. Poker however for me is entirely competitive, and i only play for money against others.

I too question if bass fishing is really more popular than triathlon, i guess it would not surprise me, as i remember when bowling was touted as the number one participation sport in america. Oh ya, i also was a top level bowler too, and it goes into whatever category that bass fishing and poker inhabit too.

Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Poker is not a sport either but it is still televised on ESPN. ///

Poker=Bass Fishing--- I'm not really sure what category they both inhabit, game, event, activity, etc. but they are not sports. And i do both of them, however my bass fishing has never been competitive. Like soul surfing, i guess i'm a soul bass fisherman, fishing for food and fun off the
circuit. Poker however for me is entirely competitive, and i only play for money against others.

I too question if bass fishing is really more popular than triathlon, i guess it would not surprise me, as i remember when bowling was touted as the number one participation sport in america. Oh ya, i also was a top level bowler too, and it goes into whatever category that bass fishing and poker inhabit too.

really? I would put bowling in sport category. But maybe I haven't thought about it enough

Quote | Reply
jgarza22 wrote:
Nickwisdom wrote:
You Bastard!

I feel so dirty now....

That's awesome!

We should make that a thing here. Probably wouldn't last too long though.

----

All you had to do was ask...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=REzwusMDvzE

----
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pooks wrote:
BLeP wrote:

Sorry, couldn't help myself. (Though generally I agree with your point)

Oy, forgot about him. Correction... Most NASCAR drivers...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
I have absolutely no doubt there are more bass fisherman in the US than triathletes. But, are fishing tournaments really bigger than triathlons? i just have a hard time picturing thousands of boats showing up for a fishing tournament.

Bass tournament fishing is a TV spectator sport, like Nascar or football.. not a lot of tournament participants, but quite a lot of guys who fish a bit. I had no idea there were collegiate bass fishing tournaments, but apparently so:
http://bassfederation.com/...ing-a-growing-sport/

For an insiders' look at the carnival, I recommend Carl Hiaasen's book Double Whammy:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/...73?ean=9780446695664
Quote Reply

Prev Next