Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We are still discussing this?

Is your love of the sport any less because another sport is more popular? I have to scream a huge "Who Cares?" in your general direction. Makes no difference to me. I'll stay fit and feel good and Tony Stewart may drop dead from a heart attack in a couple years. Then again, I may drop dead from a heart attack in a couple years, who knows. Life's to short to worry about who's sport is more popular.
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [vecchia capra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vecchia capra wrote:
I The only real physical challenge to fishing is not falling into the water and picking up a fish with a net. .

I dissagree. It takes a lot of effort to cary a several cases of beer from my car down the steep ramp and into the boat.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
since you are in the know maybe you could enlighten me. I have absolutely no doubt there are more bass fisherman in the US than triathletes. But, are fishing tournaments really bigger than triathlons? i just have a hard time picturing thousands of boats showing up for a fishing tournament. I've only ever seen one tournament locally...and it was pretty small....much smaller than even the local sprint.

To be clear: I'm not trying to make triathlon seem better than fishing. i like fishing. I'm just curious.

It's crazy huge. There are several local bass tourneys a year near me and one pro tournament (maybe two). They sell out the local tournaments. The weigh in for the pro tournament packs out a 5,000 seat stadium here in central Arkansas.

Also, we think we spend money...these guys have serious rigs. Their boat alone can cost from $20-40K. Not to mention the truck to pull it and all the gear, lures, etc. And they're sponsored by local car dealerships, beer distributors, etc.

Anyway, tons of money and participation in these events.

-Stephen in Arkansas
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [KAlber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KAlber wrote:
since you are in the know maybe you could enlighten me. I have absolutely no doubt there are more bass fisherman in the US than triathletes. But, are fishing tournaments really bigger than triathlons? i just have a hard time picturing thousands of boats showing up for a fishing tournament. I've only ever seen one tournament locally...and it was pretty small....much smaller than even the local sprint.

To be clear: I'm not trying to make triathlon seem better than fishing. i like fishing. I'm just curious.

The 2012 tournament guide for Minnesota is a 43 page PDF with roughly 360 contests. All offer prize money. Quite a few have $100K in prize money. A few have up to $250K. That is one state.

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/...ents/tourneylist.pdf

Clearly if anyone is thinking of becoming a pro triathlete, they might do better to switch to tournament fishing.
Last edited by: AmaDablam: Oct 3, 12 10:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The closest home town tri in my area usually has about 300 participants. The annual bass tournament in the same town usually has about the same from what I've been told. The biggest difference is that if you win the tri you get a medal. If you win the bass tournament you'll get $10,000.
Quote Reply
Re: "triathlon—a sport whose popularity ranks far below that of, say, bass fishing" [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well let's see....

If you win a Bass fishing tourney you can win money from the boat manufacturer, the motor manufacturer and that is over and beyond the tourney prize moneys. So in the "right" tourney, the winner can walk away with several (read around $5,000) for just fishing out of a Ranger/NItro/Skeeter. Also they can win another several (read again $5,000) for just having a Mercury/Yamaha motor hanging on the back of the boat.

I think around the larger fishing lakes (Lake Fork, Texas) there are many tournements going on all of the time. These range from the smaller ones on up to the ones with 2,000 to 3,000 boats (the McDonald's or Skeeter events).

I have a cheap used boat, but the newer ones can run upwards of $70-$80K. Just a tad more than a tri bike.

A tournement fisherman would have around 15-20 rod/reels in the boat. These can run from inexpensive to very. But if you consider an average of only $300 per set-up, then that is $4,500 to $6,000 just in rod/reels. Lets not even discuss the cost of the baits/lures being used.

So there is way more marketing opportunities than in triathlons.
Quote Reply

Prev Next