Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Luckily the folks on their high horse are just a few vocal minority!! I would gladly do any race Lance was in. As I have said before, if I were in his shoes, and ALL the others that raced before, during and STILL, I might have done the same thing.

Do not let the few distract you from the bigger picture. This is the tactic I see on TV all the time. The few think if they are vocal enough, and get TV time, they can get their opinion forced onto the rest of us.
If someone does not like what a business is doing, just go to another business. No need to try and destroy it for ones ego or what ever reason drives them.

Dave, this was your 1st post on the topic today ^, so can you honestly say you were simply trying to add merit to the discussion, because to me it comes across as simply stirring the pot. If that's your style of posting, great, and I hope you dont think I'm "attacking" you. I asked you before who are all these people that are attacking in this thread? I've said that many on here simply have brought up some legit concerns, just as others have countered those concerns. I think kny said it best when he said Rev3 will likely be fine in the end with all the potential negative with this move, but I dont think they are immune from criticism. I know a lot of people respect Rev3 and what they do for the triathlon community, and I think Rev3 just wants to make it known that this is more of a cancer awareness opportunity than a "race" setting. I just think if it's that, then let's have that from the beginning, surprised they waited so late in the game for this race, to now make it the event they seem to want to push now.

I try to stay out of these posts since it is clear they have no valve. But as you can see, I ignored my better judgment. :o(

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kyle, when you get back to tagging photos, kindly delete the ones of me pushing my bike up the end of Big Savage. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
I'll bite. I know I shouldn't, but I'm sick of tagging SavageMan photos and the break is welcome.

If you are not trolling, a claim of which I am skeptical, then there is certainly little in the way of debate occurring. And, you don't seem to respond to questions posed of you, such as who I attacked other than Lance, but here goes. Let's debate:

You state we have a difference of opinion. I state that my opinion is accepted fact, but I will step back from that claim and allow you to provide the reasoning behind your opinion, whatever it is.

My opinion is that Lance is a lie, a bully, and a cheat. My basis for that opinion is as follows:
1 - Lance cheated. USADA has opened a case for this and Lance chose to not contest it. He is thus sanctioned. He is thus a cheat. It is intellectually dishonest to have an opinion that differs on this account.
2 - Lance lied. Lance has said time and time again publicly and to people's faces that he never doped. Given 1 above, he is a liar.
3 - Lance bullied. Without rehashing the infinite stories of Lemond, Andreu, Landis, McIlvaine, Andersen, Krimmage, Bassones, Simeoni, I will base my opinion on the numerous accounts of these folks and others that illustrate Lance's tendency to bully those who speak out against either LA or doping in cycling.

You never actually state your opinion, but rather just claim that our opinions differ. It is hard to debate someone who does not make their opinion clear, so I will assume simply that your opinion is that you believe the opposite: that Lance did not cheat, did not lie, and did not bully.

So, h20fun, if you are not simply trolling but are really here to debate your difference in opinion, please provide the basis behind your opinion. And, because you never responded to my inquiry as to whom I attacked that put my race in a bad name, please also respond to that as well.

Thank you,
Kyle Yost
SavageMan Triathlon Founder and Race Director

I just do not agree with your opinions. I do not see you have facts to support them, and I do not have any facts to say you are wrong.

I am just saying you can make your point on your opinion without the personal attacks, but since you do not see you say or post anything that are attacks, all I can do is leave it that we have a different opinion and view on how you post. Not saying you are wrong, but, just offering why is it worth so much negative energy on your part. Sure would rather see stuff on your race and how you are going to do well at it. But again, just my opinion.

Just throwing out the troll comments is an attack, but again, just my opinion and experience in life. Have you ever seen me post a comment like this about anyone on ST? Nope, and never will.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I just do not agree with your opinions. I do not see you have facts to support them, and I do not have any facts to say you are wrong.

I am just saying you can make your point on your opinion without the personal attacks, but since you do not see you say or post anything that are attacks, all I can do is leave it that we have a different opinion and view on how you post. Not saying you are wrong, but, just offering why is it worth so much negative energy on your part. Sure would rather see stuff on your race and how you are going to do well at it. But again, just my opinion.

Just throwing out the troll comments is an attack, but again, just my opinion and experience in life. Have you ever seen me post a comment like this about anyone on ST? Nope, and never will.

NOOOO! I do have facts to support my opinion. Don't say that I do not.
1 - Lance is currently sanctioned for being a cheat.
2 - Lance has stated that he never cheated. Here, read this one. http://www.bicycling.com/...e-armstrongs-endgame
3 - Lance has bullied. Here's a starter. http://www.bicycling.com/...ong-hunts-down-rider

So, you can't just say I don't have facts and you don't have facts so our opinions are on equal ground. It doesn't work that way.

Come on, let's debate. You said you wanted to debate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kyle...READ
Last edited by: gregn: Sep 24, 12 18:32
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
Kyle...READ

Ok, my bad. I'm off. Debate over. Back to work. Nothing to see here....nothing to see here....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

NOOOO! I do have facts to support my opinion. Don't say that I do not.
1 - Lance is currently sanctioned for being a cheat.
2 - Lance has stated that he never cheated. Here, read this one. http://www.bicycling.com/...e-armstrongs-endgame
3 - Lance has bullied. Here's a starter. http://www.bicycling.com/...ong-hunts-down-rider

So, you can't just say I don't have facts and you don't have facts so our opinions are on equal ground. It doesn't work that way.

Come on, let's debate. You said you wanted to debate.

Looks like you are trying to bully h2ofun

Not sure I understand about Filippo Simeoni isn't he a doper? You should be glad Lance ran him down. We don't want dopers to win.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of us can understand differences in religion or political opinion - but whatever anyone's opinion is on Lance the opposite is incomprehensible.

I get that the race isn't sanctioned - so allowing Lance to race isn't against the rules. But I don't think the RD is honoring the ban - he is weaseling a way around it - and anyone who races is supporting that action.

It just doesn't seem right. In most sports banned is banned, and those that aren't banned don't go racing against those that are - for any reason. IIRC back in the amature days of track and field (at least in the UK where i was in the 70s) racing against a banned athlete was enough to get a ban.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
gregn wrote:
Kyle...READ

Ok, my bad. I'm off. Debate over. Back to work. Nothing to see here....nothing to see here....

Great, now please go back to some productive work. :o)

Devil signing off.

FYI, as I posted I love to debate when it is not personal or emotional. This topic is both, so nope, debating on something that has no clear answer is a waste of time and energy.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [gregn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregn wrote:
Kyle...READ

Wow, if I knew that thread was so powerful, I would post the link more often. Thanks for reminding me.

Last edited by: h2ofun: Sep 24, 12 18:25
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
Most of us can understand differences in religion or political opinion - but whatever anyone's opinion is on Lance the opposite is incomprehensible.

I get that the race isn't sanctioned - so allowing Lance to race isn't against the rules. But I don't think the RD is honoring the ban - he is weaseling a way around it - and anyone who races is supporting that action.

It just doesn't seem right. In most sports banned is banned, and those that aren't banned don't go racing against those that are - for any reason. IIRC back in the amature days of track and field (at least in the UK where i was in the 70s) racing against a banned athlete was enough to get a ban.......

Please, show me the rule. Banned is not banned. Banned is banned from certain events. Not what you, me, Dan or anyone else wants to think, the rule is the rule. Please show me where the RD is breaking any rule
that is written? Why oh why do some think the rules should be whatever they feel it should be, and not the rule? We have enough issues in our sport just following the rule, not trying to put our opinion on the
"intent" of a rule, IMO.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except there is a clear answer to this issue.

Lance cant race in a USAT sanctioned race because he's sanctioned for doping. This race that was an sanctioned USAT event, now in order to get Lance to race went away from the sanctioning. I think that's about the most factual you can get within these events. Now because of that, Rev3 and Lance are not doing anything wrong.

Now that this race has become an non-sanctioned USAT event, I hope that the rules of how the race will be governed will be announced. If they have been established, please correct me, but at this point looking on their website, I'm still trying to find out what the rulebook is they will follow for this unsanctioned race. The MACTC collegiate conference will be holding it's conference championship there, so the rules that are to be used is very important for the team that I will be sending to this race.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 24, 12 18:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Now that this race has become an non-sanctioned USAT event, I hope that the rules of how the race will be governed will be announced. If they have been established, please correct me, but at this point looking on their website, I'm still trying to find out what the rulebook is they will follow for this unsanctioned race. The MACTC collegiate conference will be holding it's conference championship there, so the rules that are to be used is very important for the team that I will be sending to this race.

Did you try contacting the race director?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Except there is a clear answer to this issue.

Lance cant race in a USAT sanctioned race because he's sanctioned for doping. This race that was an sanctioned USAT event, now in order to get Lance to race went away from the sanctioning. I think that's about the most factual you can get within these events. Now because of that, Rev3 and Lance are not doing anything wrong.

Yep, that was fishy, but again, it is the RD's business, and they have the right to change things.

I assume the race will be like any non sanctioned race we all do. They try to follow USAT rules, but you just do not have the officials out there.

Yep, I would want in writing before I sent anyone exactly which is going to happen. Now, would it not be funny if Lance got hurt or for some reason he could not make it. All this negative energy would be for nothing, other than it is not a USAT race now.

Now, your statement of facts is 100%. Nice something we can talk about. :o) Best of luck to your team.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am waiting on word from our conference director to determine the rules of the race. Our conference has worked very closely with the RD and we are very thankful for allowing all the racers to be treated like a "pro" and race at a reduced rate in order to use this event as our conference championship.

For that I'm happy with, I just dont personally agree with the decision to go with an non-sanctioned race this late in the process. If this was an non-sanctioned race 8 months ago, I'd have not as big an issue (I highly doubt the conference would have choosen this event, or atleast I would not have voted on an non usat sanctioned event for the conference champs), but this late in the game, seems just odd. But we will adjust, go out there and give it our best, and cheer on everyone for the great race and cause they are doing.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
I am waiting on word from our conference director to determine the rules of the race. Our conference has worked very closely with the RD and we are very thankful for allowing all the racers to be treated like a "pro" and race at a reduced rate in order to use this event as our conference championship.

For that I'm happy with, I just dont personally agree with the decision to go with an non-sanctioned race this late in the process. If this was an non-sanctioned race 8 months ago, I'd have not as big an issue (I highly doubt the conference would have choosen this event, or atleast I would not have voted on an non usat sanctioned event for the conference champs), but this late in the game, seems just odd. But we will adjust, go out there and give it our best, and cheer on everyone for the great race and cause they are doing.

I am confused as you said above that "I'm still trying to find out what the rulebook is they will follow for this unsanctioned race." but you are now "waiting on word from our conference director to determine the rules of the race" So are you waiting on the RD to determine what rules your conference will follow or are you wating on your conference director?

If I was really concerned I would be calling and emailing the race director and not just posting in Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been in contact with our conference director as this issue has been raised. Since the conference director and RD are working in close connection (ETA: they have allowed our conference some nice perks for the race, and been gracious enough to discount the entry fee for all the collegiate teams), I'm waiting on confirmation from him on what the rules will be. If I dont get word by Wednesday, I will be contacting the RD directly. But since our conference and the race have a good working relationship, I'm working through that channel of our conference first and then going to RD directly.

IE, I'm waiting/hoping the conference announces the rules to the conference as a whole,but then if it doesnt, I'll go directly to the race and see if we can get it announced.

ETA: I've not seen any updates on the Rev3 website as of tonight, but I may be missing an link off the site as well. As I said, if it's been posted, feel free to correct me.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 24, 12 19:42
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is my response to the triathlon.com interview that every pro-Armstrong person seemed to link to today.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/...ace-invitation_62601

If you truly didn't think about "PR negative or PR positive" of associating yourself with someone who received a lifetime ban a month ago than you are completely inept at your job. Are you saying that there were no internal conversations - or even thoughts by you that the pent up demand to see Armstrong race could be a net benefit for Rev3 overall? Registrations for this race have obviously increased - what about for your other races next year? Have you seen a spike in registrations for other Rev3 events in recent days? If so, what do you plan to do with that money? I would hope you would use it to actually test your athletes and help increase awareness of doping as a major problem in sports.

In the long run you have done no favors to the cancer community by helping them to partner with a criminal - and in the short term you have done a great amount of damage to the anti-doping movement. The public is already confused about whether they should care about doping in sports - having a racing organization seeming to side with a man one month after getting a lifetime ban just solidifies in the public's mind that nobody - not even people who say the care about athletes truly cares about doping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that the race is no longer sanctioned that also means it will not be officiated. Are you cool with your athletes competing in a championship race that will be run on the honor system when it comes to drafting and other possible advantages?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ElGordo wrote:
Now that the race is no longer sanctioned that also means it will not be officiated. Are you cool with your athletes competing in a championship race that will be run on the honor system when it comes to drafting and other possible advantages?

Astonishing, self governance what a concept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Integrity is not something that waivers. It is there or it isn't. When people start making exceptions for a perceived better good, they open up a slippery slope. And sorry, in this case I don't see a few thousand more making a difference, especially given what could be possible outside of this if it really mattered.

Nice to see principles matter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well first off ill allow some time to get an actual justification and/or answer for how the race rules/officiating will be handled.

Now will I be happy with it? I don't really know that it matters if ill be happy with it because this is the bed that our conference has decided to sleep in. Do I find it very disappointing that an usat sanctioned conference is seemingly celebrating racing lance. Yes I do, only because he's an sanctioned athlete and thus it would be in my judgement better to keep them out of this type of scenario. But I guess this is more about raising money for cancer and such. Which is great, but I think the by product of that is that the integrity of the actual race *seems* to be compromised. Maybe it won't be, but if it does lack officials, that would be disappointing for sure.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ElGordo wrote:

It will be officiated. It will be run according to USAT rulebook. As a participant you won't notice a thing, unless perhaps as a participant or volunteer, something should occur such that you require the insurance policy.

What is interesting is how Rev3/USAT will handle the use of USAT-certified and trained officials for a non USAT race. In my opinion it is poor form by Rev3 to request the time and skills of the officials trained and certified by USAT while not using USAT sanctioning for the race, but it is also poor form of USAT to prohibit these people who are effectively volunteers from working utilizing their skills outside of the USAT box. Don't believe for a second that these conversations and debates aren't occurring right now. USAT is in a bad situation. On principle they should prohibit their officials from officiating, but in practice they realistically cannot.

Interesting stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
ElGordo wrote:

It will be officiated. It will be run according to USAT rulebook. As a participant you won't notice a thing, unless perhaps as a participant or volunteer, something should occur such that you require the insurance policy.

What is interesting is how Rev3/USAT will handle the use of USAT-certified and trained officials for a non USAT race. In my opinion it is poor form by Rev3 to request the time and skills of the officials trained and certified by USAT while not using USAT sanctioning for the race, but it is also poor form of USAT to prohibit these people who are effectively volunteers from working utilizing their skills outside of the USAT box. Don't believe for a second that these conversations and debates aren't occurring right now. USAT is in a bad situation. On principle they should prohibit their officials from officiating, but in practice they realistically cannot.

Interesting stuff.

Don't we get tons of complaints here everytime after a big race about the amount of drafting? Wasn't Florida a big draft race that was being compained about all the time. I don't think the officials helped much with the drafting in Florida. Wasn't there a lot of complaining in another thread about a DQ for running in the water on the swim part. So I don't think having 2 officials on the course means that much.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Integrity is not something that waivers. It is there or it isn't. When people start making exceptions for a perceived better good, they open up a slippery slope. And sorry, in this case I don't see a few thousand more making a difference, especially given what could be possible outside of this if it really mattered.

Nice to see principles matter

We all compromise our principles at some point, in some way. To pretend that people don't is disingenuous.

At some point, everyone is faced with a "greater good / lesser evil" or "does it really matter that much" point of decision. Sometimes we hold to our principles, sometimes compromises are made.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply

Prev Next