Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Matthew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not judging npage148 the person, just his hate-filled post.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tribeer - I'm going to say the same thing to you that I said to the other guy. Pointing out the faults of people who are against Armstrong is not the same as putting together a logical argument for why Rev3 should have anything to do with him. It's called an ad hominem logical fallacy - and this site (as is any message board) is full of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not disagreeing that argument can't be made both ways, but at the same time, I still find it more than unusual that he only gets involved last minute with Half Full after he is banned.

Let me ask you this.

If LiveStrong was your foundation and your CEO had founded a similar organization that bears his name and has a triathlon dedicated to helping kids with cancer, would it or would it not be on your calendar if you were just returning to triathlon?

If it were me, it should would be.

Many can rightfully argue what does it matter as long as the money flowing is is greater than it would be had it been absent.

My point about only giving a shit after the ban is more directed towards the UCF Half Full, i.e. I did not hear any mention about him doing this race or promoting this race in any shape or form until AFTER the ban and just coincidentally, the race is loosely tied to his LiveStrong Foundation and they drop their previous USAT accreditation so he can race.

Over the last few years I looked at the available financial records and annual reports and I found the amount spent of travel, legal,etc somewhat disturbing:

This is a so-so job on covering some of the topics:

http://fraudbytes.blogspot.com/...g-investigation.html

But to me, part of the biggest motivating factors is money flowing into his foundation by which he is in turn enriched. Similarly, I will not donate to Susan Koman for similar overhead/administration usage of fun issues.

I also never saw a breakdown of where the million dollars being raised is really going. If all the Kona Slot sales, race foundation slots, etc all flow into LiveStrong, then again it is far more about him then the cancer. I know many have benefited and am grateful for that but also think a lot has been taken off the top

Again, if the Cancer fight was so important, and your foundation CEO is Doug Ulman, and the foundation he started and is named after has a triathlon focused on raising money and awareness for kids with Cancer, how can he NOT be involved except upto two weeks before and only after it appears to be one of the only races he can get into.

Too many coincidences for me
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Neb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His emotive language doesn't make a logical argument: Ever!

I'm critizing the foul language and not the person. His language fans the flame.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:

The way I see it, Rev3 is willing to let an apparently non negligible portion of its competitors, unhappy with their decision to let Lance in,
just to get Lance in. To me, that sounds like a big 'fuck you' from Rev3 to those who had already committed to their organization, and their
races.

I work in Cancer research, so I'm quite sensitive to the topic of raising awareness etc. But since when has racing been the only way to raise
money and awareness? There are many many other ways, and the Lance defenders make it seem like him racing Rev3 is the only way to do
so. It's certainly not the only, and it's not even the best way. There are many things he could do to raise awareness where he would touch
far more people in 4h, than being swimming, biking and running in freaking lycra. So, the assumption that those against his participation in
triathlons are selfish and don't care about cancer screening, prevention, and research is just preposterous. Wait, no. It's stupid.

Wow, so ReV3 is saying "fxck you" to those who are unhappy to see Lance race?

That's even over the top for you ! As far as being quite sensitive to cancer "patients" I lost both my parents to cancer. So I don't think your statement regarding that has little or no more bearing on cancer survivors or their family.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If LiveStrong was your foundation and your CEO had founded a similar organization that bears his name and has a triathlon dedicated to helping kids with cancer, would it or would it not be on your calendar if you were just returning to triathlon? "

And I was still fighting a sanction and still holding onto the small possibility that I could get back into the parnership I made with WTC to *maybe* race Kona? No, this race 6 days before Kona on the other side of the world would not be on my calendar. Simple answer.

This is what I mean about people ignoring the facts that hurt their argument.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Runguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Learn how to read you bozo Lance Fan #7...
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Neb wrote:
Do you really think that charities have any power in their partnerships with corporations? Usually charities are tripping over themselves to make sure that they make their sponsors happy. Unless UCF is completely inept - of course they got rev3's support before getting this deal done!

Take a look at these:

https://twitter.com/LIVESTRONGCEO = Doug Ulman

Does Lance Armstrong have anything to do with LiveStrong? Perhaps hiring a CEO or a say in the CEO?

Next:

http://www.ulmanfund.org/...nder-Doug-Ulman.aspx

Same Doug Ulman as the Founder of the UCF

This is also something that was just announced, weeks out, not months out. When Rev 3 partnered with UCF to bring the Rev 3 experience to the Half Full, Lance was not only not registered, but not banned.

In fact, if this was at all ABOVE BOARD, I would have expected that upon returning to Tri, this would have been the FIRST RACE Lance through his hat into and would have promoted the crap out of this for months and months.

To me this is more indicative of WHO Lance is.

You have your foundation and as part of it, your CEO runs a spin off or related foundation focused on kids with Cancer. You have the ability to bring attention to it, yet instead of spending the year driving traffic and dollars, Lance was focused on WTC, Panama, Kona, Honu... HIS RACES, and not Cancer. Only AFTER he is banned, and only in the weeks where basically all is signed and done, does LANCE show up on the scene.

If Lance is such a CHAMPION of the fight against cancer, why was this not one of his KEY RACES for his return to Triathlons.

In fact it did not even have to be a race... It could have been a Meet n Greet... See Lance before Kona, etc...

How is it only NOW that his name comes attached to a race that is owned and run by the CEO of his Livestrong foundation?

Livestrong was in a WTC partnership during those races as I recall. So Lance racing WTC races would be promoting Livestrong awareness and cancer awareness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Learn how to read you bozo Lance Fan #7...

oh, right Francois's your the one who played the sensitive to cancer research card not me.

Name calling, my, my, how cancer research must love you
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"His emotive language doesn't make a logical argument: Ever!

I'm critizing the foul language and not the person. His language fans the flame."

You're still doing it. One logical argument please for why it was the right thing for rev3 to not only allow Armstrong to participate, but also become the main marketing tool of this race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It does actually. Thanks for your concern though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neb wrote:

I'm critizing the foul language and not the person. His language fans the flame."

You're still doing it. One logical argument please for why it was the right thing for rev3 to not only allow Armstrong to participate, but also become the main marketing tool of this race.

How about one has nothing to do with the other? But for the fact the fundraiser is a sporting event what difference does it make? What's next Lance shouldn't be able to speak to cancer survivor's if they happen to be a cyclist?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
It does actually. Thanks for your concern though.

I just thought your comment was in poor taste, that is equating cancer research somehow has a higher moral ground than the victim's themselves.

also I might add well done on the name calling (not bad for someone of non-American origin to pull that one out of the hat).
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am glad the folks at REV3 have been able to capitalize on his fame and lack of ability to get into sanctioned races. The post is, well, yawn..........................
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But triathlon, the sport with rules is being manipulated into a novelty fund raiser involving sbr to allow a doper to stick a finger up at authority. I cannot see how this is good for the integrity of our sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said, you may want to take a couple of reading classes. I've never said that cancer research has a higher moral ground than the victims themselves.
First, because your sentence is oddly phrased to say the least. Second, because I certainly don't consider research more important than patients in any way.

And thanks for the comment about non-American. I must say that your English is not bad at all for someone whose native language is American.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
As I said, you may want to take a couple of reading classes. I've never said that cancer research has a higher moral ground than the victims themselves.
First, because your sentence is oddly phrased to say the least. Second, because I certainly don't consider research more important than patients in any way.

And thanks for the comment about non-American. I must say that your English is not bad at all for someone whose native language is American.

You know your are quite the twit ! Your welcome for the the comment and enjoy your stay here in America where, obviously, you can say pretty much anything, within reason, you want to.

You obviously have a superiority complex. So why did you feel the need to throw in the cancer research comment if it wasn't to play that card?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"How about one has nothing to do with the other? But for the fact the fundraiser is a sporting event what difference does it make? What's next Lance shouldn't be able to speak to cancer survivor's if they happen to be a cyclist?"

Armstrong can speak to whomever he likes. My problem is that a racing series, which seemed to be gaining legitimacy, is using his name and image to market one of their races. I don't care who they say is the race director - this race is featured prominently on their website and is listed as part of their series. Therefore they have final control over major issues - like changing the insurance at the last minute because Armstrong can't be affiliated with a USAT race.

I know this will astonish a lot of people, but cancer research will go on with or without Lance Armstrong. People give money and support cancer research because they have been impacted by it in some way. Armstrong has been given a lifetime ban. Any sporting association that respects and understands the damage done to sports and athletes by the doping culture needs to completely dissociate themselves from this man.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philb wrote:
But triathlon, the sport with rules is being manipulated into a novelty fund raiser involving sbr to allow a doper to stick a finger up at authority. I cannot see how this is good for the integrity of our sport.

that's just it, the cause is bigger than that! this isn't me being a lance guy, there is no sticking a finger at authority (except maybe a finger at cancer). I don't think most people see as literally as that (integrity yea or nay).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the cause is bigger than that, it shouldn't need to to invite a doper to compete or publicise the event. It should show some respect for the sport it is using as a vehicle to raise its funds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my countries of origin, I can say pretty much anything I want to. But thanks. A superiority complex? Hmmm...you start playing the 'foreign card' with me, yet
your English isn't very good.

I threw the cancer research in because I know what I'm talking about when it comes to cancer research. Since the usual argument of those who think Lance should
be allowed to do whatever he wants is: you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to cancer, I threw that in. I thought it would shorten the discussion, but
I guess I wrongly assumed that most could read. By the way, why did you throw in that you lost both parents to cancer (all my condolences, sincerely)? For the same
reason. To tell me that you know how it affects people. Given the current cancer rates, you can be sure that pretty much every single person on the forum has been
affected by cancer. So, maybe we can stop playing the emotional card here. We're ALL affected. My whole point is that:
1. There are many ways to raise funding against cancer (be it research, screening, prevention, awareness)
2. Lance is banned from racing
3. If he has 4hrs to spare, I'm sure he can spend it far more constructively to raise funding and awareness.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neb wrote:
"How about one has nothing to do with the other? But for the fact the fundraiser is a sporting event what difference does it make? What's next Lance shouldn't be able to speak to cancer survivor's if they happen to be a cyclist?"

Armstrong can speak to whomever he likes. My problem is that a racing series, which seemed to be gaining legitimacy, is using his name and image to market one of their races. I don't care who they say is the race director - this race is featured prominently on their website and is listed as part of their series. Therefore they have final control over major issues - like changing the insurance at the last minute because Armstrong can't be affiliated with a USAT race.

I know this will astonish a lot of people, but cancer research will go on with or without Lance Armstrong. People give money and support cancer research because they have been impacted by it in some way. Armstrong has been given a lifetime ban. Any sporting association that respects and understands the damage done to sports and athletes by the doping culture needs to completely dissociate themselves from this man.

See, I think you paint this too much as black and white. Here's why, the bottom line is your correct, cancer research and cancer, too will continue long past you, me and Lance are gone from this earth. Let's face it Rev3 obviously feels that they have more to gain than lose. The integrity of the sport will not suffer one iota because of this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runguy wrote:
Neb wrote:

How about one has nothing to do with the other? But for the fact the fundraiser is a sporting event what difference does it make? What's next Lance shouldn't be able to speak to cancer survivor's if they happen to be a cyclist?

No, speaking is exactly what Lance SHOULD be doing. If he cared at all about doing whats right, he would have put his name to this months ago, spoken, signed autographs and passed out finisher medals. Instead to him it's all about the competition. The cancer thing is just secondary. If kona was a possibility there's no way he'd even show up for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance Armstrong is popular and people will be motivated to go to the race because of Lance. Rev3 will receive a lot of publicity for inviting Lance and letting him race. It's a big story.

Everyday, I meet people proudly wearing the Livestrong yellow band. Lance sells.

These are the facts and nothing but the facts.
Last edited by: TriBeer: Sep 20, 12 14:18
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. He can go give a talk with a large audience, and a TV crew. It will touch far more people than participating in a fringe sport, in a low key race.
Quote Reply

Prev Next