Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
I have not spoken to Charlie at length over this, nor have I asked him about who made the decision or what. Though at the same time this was an existing race before, run by UCF and when it was announced last year, it seemed like a good merging of Rev 3 as a race org, and a good cause, fighting cancer.

That being said, and not being a Lance Fanboy, I did notice that I think Doug Ulman is the ceo of Livestrong, as well as the founder of UCF, so in the end, this could be Lance pulling the strings in someway and really out of Rev 3s hands.

That being said, I know Rev 3 is dedicated to the athletes, families and the experience, any as a small organization, they dedicated a huge amount of hours and effort to do their run across America. I think Tim Andrus stated that this was UCFs decision and pretty much Rev 3 supported them, and from the Rev 3 perspective, I am sure this is about fighting Cancer, helping families and athletes. They may take some hits over it, but that is also the way Rev 3 is... They would rather get slammed if it meant improving the lives of those suffering, so to a large degree, I have to support and respect that.

So part of that was lost on me as well, and I had not made the association that the Half Full was really a UCF race, Doug Ulman started the UCF and Doug is also the CEO at Livestrong.

I still don't like the decision. I think things could have been done differently that would have respected the ban, still allowed involvement, and to some degree, am seeing this more as a Lance backdooring things.

Whether I like the decision or not, I am sure Rev 3 is more concerned about those suffering with cancer and less concerned with some of the other implications. I am not sure we will ever know who made what decision or pulled what strings, but as a whole knowing Charlie and Rev 3, this is more about the people from there side, and leaving the politics and the like to the arm chair quarterbacks.

to note, Charlie isnt race director for this race. A UCF staffer Brian Satola is. It was his call, his and his team on the sanctioning, though im guessing at minimum Charlie and team were notified that UCF was looking at Lance joining, and potentially had involvement with the decision.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed Francios. I know I'm going to sound like a complete cynic, but every for profit company in world partners with charities! If Rev3 didn't support charities (just as WTC does) we would think there is something wrong with them. No sane company ever has dedicated resources or money to charity without expecting some kind of benefit to their brand identity and their bottom line. There may be folks at Rev3 who have been personally impacted by cancer - and who are 100% behind raising money for cancer research, but to pretend that having partnership with a charity is "all about fighting cancer" and has nothing to do with promoting themselves as a racing series is dishonest at best.

I also love the argument I've seen in a few posts that says - "Rev3 had nothing to do with this decision, but good for Rev3 for letting Lance race!"
You have to choose - either Rev3 was a part of this decision and deserves credit/criticism or they had nothing to do with it. Given that they are promoting the heck out of Armstrong on their website I'd say it was the former rather than the latter.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:
con·vict (kn-vkt)
v. con·vict·ed, con·vict·ing, con·victs
v.tr.
1. Law To find or prove (someone) guilty of an offense or crime, especially by the verdict of a court: The jury convicted the defendant of manslaughter.
2. To show or declare to be blameworthy; condemn: His remarks convicted him of a lack of sensitivity.
3. To make aware of one's sinfulness or guilt.

Seems perfectly appropriate, based on the above definition, to call Armstrong a "convicted doper."

You are a thief as you stole that from thefreedictionary.com. I just made you aware of that fact. So now you are a convicted thief. I shall refer to you as such in all my postings to you.

Alan Shearer - Convicted thief.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanaki wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:
con·vict (kn-vkt)
v. con·vict·ed, con·vict·ing, con·victs
v.tr.
1. Law To find or prove (someone) guilty of an offense or crime, especially by the verdict of a court: The jury convicted the defendant of manslaughter.
2. To show or declare to be blameworthy; condemn: His remarks convicted him of a lack of sensitivity.
3. To make aware of one's sinfulness or guilt.

Seems perfectly appropriate, based on the above definition, to call Armstrong a "convicted doper."

You are a thief as you stole that from thefreedictionary.com. I just made you aware of that fact. So now you are a convicted thief. I shall refer to you as such in all my postings to you.

Alan Shearer - Convicted thief.

Well, it is thefreedictionary.

But here's from urban dictionary, with due credit and reference.:

1. douchebag

The term "douchebag" generally refers to a male with a certain combination of obnoxious characteristics related to attitude, social ineptitude, public behavior, or outward presentation.

Though the common douchebag thinks he is accepted by the people around him, most of his peers dislike him. He has an inflated sense of self-worth, compounded by a lack of social grace and self-awareness. He behaves inappropriately in public, yet is completely ignorant to how pathetic he appears to others.

He often talks about how cool, successful, and popular he is, yet never catches on to the fact that he comes across as a total loser. Nevertheless, he firmly believes that he is the smartest, most desirable, and most charming person in the room... and will try to bad-rep anyone who would threaten to expose this facade.

He fancies himself a ladies’ man, yet tends to be a joke to all but the most naive of women. He tries to portray himself as part of the in-crowd (a fashionista, an upwardly mobile professional, the life of the party, etc.) but only succeeds in his own mind.

To everyone else, he is an annoying and arrogant phony who comes across as a wannabe overcompensating for his insecurities. He tries to appear like the center of whatever group will tolerate him, but in reality, he is just a tag-along who mooches drinks, women, contacts, social standing, and other benefits from the group... while contributing nothing.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/...e.php?term=douchebag

Hanaki - Convicted douchebag.
Last edited by: AlanShearer: Sep 20, 12 10:05
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now you are going way off track..

<Alan Shearer - Convicted thief>
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Neb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Neb wrote:

I also love the argument I've seen in a few posts that says - "Rev3 had nothing to do with this decision, but good for Rev3 for letting Lance race!"
You have to choose - either Rev3 was a part of this decision and deserves credit/criticism or they had nothing to do with it. Given that they are promoting the heck out of Armstrong on their website I'd say it was the former rather than the latter.

I am torn on this. I am partially one of the people who you refer to, but I have been by far one of the most local slammers over the last 24 hours.

That being said, Eric is not the RD of the race, Brian Serota or whosy whatsy is. I am not sure of the extent Rev 3 is involved other than as a partner to bring the Rev 3 Experience to the race. Given that the UCF is founded by the person who helms the CEO of LiveStrong, to me it appears more that this was a decision shoved Rev 3s way. I am not sure how much they had a say in it, nor if it really mattered to them.

I think Rev 3 will take some heat for it. I am probably one of their biggest supporters on this forum and I have mixed feelings about it.

More important to me is how they go forward beyond this. Maybe they will sever their ties with the race, maybe they won't. I know UCF is a big part of their support/charity, so this creates a very awkward situation. In the end, this is really a LiveStrong Race since the LiveStrong CEO is the founder of the race org., my decision will be made more about if Lance is allowed to be part of future Rev 3 races during the ban, such as Anderson or Florida.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps this is Rev3's version of a political trial balloon to test the tollerance of people like you for their other races? They can hide under the cover of "hey, it's not really our race" while at the same time promoting Lance at one of their non-race race :)

Either way, it doesn't smell good.

Quote | Reply
I think that is more than fair. I don't like the decision, but not sure how much I can lay the decision on them. What they do on the races they fully run is a completely different story.

How things go forward will speak the bigger volumes to me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you really think that charities have any power in their partnerships with corporations? Usually charities are tripping over themselves to make sure that they make their sponsors happy. Unless UCF is completely inept - of course they got rev3's support before getting this deal done!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it's a trap. They let him compete in their race and then they spring a drug test on him when he finishes!! Since Rev3 has a hx of not testing and lance is a d-bag he's probably doping right now in preparation for the race so he can beat the other cancer survivors!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neb wrote:
Do you really think that charities have any power in their partnerships with corporations? Usually charities are tripping over themselves to make sure that they make their sponsors happy. Unless UCF is completely inept - of course they got rev3's support before getting this deal done!

Take a look at these:

https://twitter.com/LIVESTRONGCEO = Doug Ulman

Does Lance Armstrong have anything to do with LiveStrong? Perhaps hiring a CEO or a say in the CEO?

Next:

http://www.ulmanfund.org/...nder-Doug-Ulman.aspx

Same Doug Ulman as the Founder of the UCF

This is also something that was just announced, weeks out, not months out. When Rev 3 partnered with UCF to bring the Rev 3 experience to the Half Full, Lance was not only not registered, but not banned.

In fact, if this was at all ABOVE BOARD, I would have expected that upon returning to Tri, this would have been the FIRST RACE Lance through his hat into and would have promoted the crap out of this for months and months.

To me this is more indicative of WHO Lance is.

You have your foundation and as part of it, your CEO runs a spin off or related foundation focused on kids with Cancer. You have the ability to bring attention to it, yet instead of spending the year driving traffic and dollars, Lance was focused on WTC, Panama, Kona, Honu... HIS RACES, and not Cancer. Only AFTER he is banned, and only in the weeks where basically all is signed and done, does LANCE show up on the scene.

If Lance is such a CHAMPION of the fight against cancer, why was this not one of his KEY RACES for his return to Triathlons.

In fact it did not even have to be a race... It could have been a Meet n Greet... See Lance before Kona, etc...

How is it only NOW that his name comes attached to a race that is owned and run by the CEO of his Livestrong foundation?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanaki wrote:

Not sure where you are from but in the US you health insurance is not going to be null and void because you did a tri as a non-pro. If you have an insurance plan like that then that has got to be the worst insurance ever.

Patently untrue. Many plans have riders regarding at-risk activities. You might do well to read the fine print of your insurance. My employer self insures. I have it writing that Im covered, but every policy has limits and Im not worried about breaking my arm, im worried about a bill if I get smoked by a car and im in the hospital for weeks and months. My wifes income isnt great, and I dont want her deciding between keeping our house or paying to keep me medically treated if im seriously injured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Neb wrote:

Take a look at these:

https://twitter.com/LIVESTRONGCEO = Doug Ulman

Does Lance Armstrong have anything to do with LiveStrong? Perhaps hiring a CEO or a say in the CEO?

Next:

http://www.ulmanfund.org/...nder-Doug-Ulman.aspx

Same Doug Ulman as the Founder of the UCF

This is also something that was just announced, weeks out, not months out. When Rev 3 partnered with UCF to bring the Rev 3 experience to the Half Full, Lance was not only not registered, but not banned.

In fact, if this was at all ABOVE BOARD, I would have expected that upon returning to Tri, this would have been the FIRST RACE Lance through his hat into and would have promoted the crap out of this for months and months.

To me this is more indicative of WHO Lance is.

You have your foundation and as part of it, your CEO runs a spin off or related foundation focused on kids with Cancer. You have the ability to bring attention to it, yet instead of spending the year driving traffic and dollars, Lance was focused on WTC, Panama, Kona, Honu... HIS RACES, and not Cancer. Only AFTER he is banned, and only in the weeks where basically all is signed and done, does LANCE show up on the scene.

If Lance is such a CHAMPION of the fight against cancer, why was this not one of his KEY RACES for his return to Triathlons.

In fact it did not even have to be a race... It could have been a Meet n Greet... See Lance before Kona, etc...

How is it only NOW that his name comes attached to a race that is owned and run by the CEO of his Livestrong foundation?

First, I absolutely believe your overriding point is correct, however some clarifications:

Doug Ulman doesnt run UCF and hasnt for a while. It bears his name, and he has family members still involved at high levels, but Doug isnt in charge anymore. And Brian Satola not, Doug, is the race director, and we have no information on if Rev3 was given a choice on Lances involvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
Hanaki wrote:

Not sure where you are from but in the US you health insurance is not going to be null and void because you did a tri as a non-pro. If you have an insurance plan like that then that has got to be the worst insurance ever.

Patently untrue. Many plans have riders regarding at-risk activities. You might do well to read the fine print of your insurance. My employer self insures. I have it writing that Im covered, but every policy has limits and Im not worried about breaking my arm, im worried about a bill if I get smoked by a car and im in the hospital for weeks and months. My wifes income isnt great, and I dont want her deciding between keeping our house or paying to keep me medically treated if im seriously injured.

Show me a link of any US non-pro being denied health benefits due to an accident in a tri?

Also you may or may not get any money from USAT

1. Athletes will pay a deductible. All athletes using USA Triathlon insurance will pay anywhere from $250 (two-hundred and fifty U.S. dollars) to $1,000 (one thousand U.S. dollars) out of pocket and possibly more for uncovered expenses.

2. Coverage limitations. Be advised that coverage may not apply to each and every claim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that Wiki is the end all, but partially this:

Accidental death and AD&D policies very rarely pay a benefit, either because the cause of death is not covered by the policy, or the coverage is not maintained after the accident until death occurs. To be aware of what coverage they have, an insured should always review their policy for what it covers and what it excludes. Often, it does not cover an insured who puts themselves at risk in activities such as parachuting, flying, professional sports or involvement in a war (military or not). Also, some insurers will exclude death and injury due to (but not limited to) motor racing and mountaineering.

One rider I am thinking of died my 1st year before getting into racing. He had worked on his bike, forgot to put the retaining clips on his front brakes and basically when he hit the first heavy turn, squeezed his brakes, the pads went out and he went into the wall / barrier of tires and was killed almost instantly. Because he was motorcycle racing, his insurance did not pay out a death benefit.

Long and short, know your insurance. Once you state that you were involved in a "race" the game sometimes changes regarding liability and coverage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"You have the ability to bring attention to it, yet instead of spending the year driving traffic and dollars, Lance was focused on WTC, Panama, Kona, Honu... HIS RACES, and not Cancer. Only AFTER he is banned, and only in the weeks where basically all is signed and done, does LANCE show up on the scene."

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...r_with_WTC_2567.html

What you said is simply untrue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe I'm just naive in race organizations, but I've got to think, it's pretty odd that a race that is going to allow it's namesake on the race and then have little say in things. If that's the case, that makes no sense for a race to even give out it's name in support. Essentially, if your putting your name on a race and have little say in the actual going on's of the race, well then I'd say that seems pretty odd arrangement (it's more a you problem for putting yourself in that situation, if you then want to say "wait wait wait, it's not us making the decisions, even though the race is in our name sake"). I've always thought, no matter who makes the decisions, if X company is being associated with it, then it's going to be lumped into this. Whether that is correct or not, simply looking at Rev3's own website, the announcement is that Lance is racing an REV3 race.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
like his comeback to cycling was to raise cancer awareness....that was funny stuff right there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stand by my assessment. While there may be " donations" raced through his racing, there was a cherry payment from WTC to Livestrong, a large portion of the funds were to be raised through auctioning off 4 Kona slots in 2012 and 2013, and there other money would similarly be raised through Foundation Race slots just as they are today.

Case in point, from Lance's own words:

Armstrong gave a brief description at the media conference call of the mechanics of raising funds through this partnership. "There are three pillars to this program," he said. "First, WTC made a sizeable contribution to my foundation."

So by this token why no mention of UCF? Why no pushing of the Half Full?

You have a race dedicated to raising awareness for kids with Cancer, that was founded by the CEO of your own foundation, and the first tieing of the two are only after he gets banned and many races exclude him.

I still maintain his EGO and his racing, and receiving a SIZEABLE contribution to HIS FOUNDATION were driving factors
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"lance is a d-bag he's probably doping right now in preparation for the race so he can beat the other cancer survivors!" (npage148)

Your hateful post on a blog is more evil/dangerous than anything Lance is being accused of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
I stand by my assessment. While there may be " donations" raced through his racing, there was a cherry payment from WTC to Livestrong, a large portion of the funds were to be raised through auctioning off 4 Kona slots in 2012 and 2013, and there other money would similarly be raised through Foundation Race slots just as they are today.

Case in point, from Lance's own words:

Armstrong gave a brief description at the media conference call of the mechanics of raising funds through this partnership. "There are three pillars to this program," he said. "First, WTC made a sizeable contribution to my foundation."

So by this token why no mention of UCF? Why no pushing of the Half Full?

You have a race dedicated to raising awareness for kids with Cancer, that was founded by the CEO of your own foundation, and the first tieing of the two are only after he gets banned and many races exclude him.

I still maintain his EGO and his racing, and receiving a SIZEABLE contribution to HIS FOUNDATION were driving factors

This is why I try to stay out of these things, because people on either side try to swing the argument their way (either pro or against) by only showing the information that supports their argument and purposely ignoring the rest. You basically said that he only gave a shit about raising money for cancer research until after he was banned. I show you FACTS that say the opposite, and you try to spin it off by bolding the words HIS foundation, as if Livestrong does no good in the world. That's just ignorant.

It's the same as people that say he's never failed a drug test so he has to be clean and he's only done good things for the sport....that's ignorant too.

People who hate him will use any little thing they can to pull Lance Armstrong, the person, down. And people who love him put the blinders on and claim he's the second coming of Jesus.

Both sides are disgusting. It is what it is.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't follow.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The woman who never judges is telling you that you're hateful, evil and dangerous. Or at least that your post is.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Matthew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a lot to get from a post about how I wouldn't be surprised if it was Lance's intent to win the cancer survivor catagory using the same methods he used to win other events. He must be good at reading between the lines
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"And people who love him put the blinders on and claim he's the second coming of Jesus." (mgalluzz)

Your statement is an exaggeration. The people who support Lance realize he's human.
Quote Reply

Prev Next