Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanaki wrote:
pick6 wrote:
I have a young wife I wanted to make sure the race was insured. Plenty of reasons to make that call.

Not sure what having a young wife has to do with you racing. Hopefully you have life, disabilty and health insurance. What would happen if you were out training and were in an accident? What if you were in an accident driving to the race? Plus their coverage is only after you file a claim with your insurance company and you pay a deductlbe and it may not even cover it.

Actually quite a lot.

MOST personal insurance coverage is suspect when engaged in the activity of RACING.

If you go out and get hit while on a training ride, your level of responsibility for risk is much less than when actively engaged in a race. As a former motorcycle rider who did many track days and races, part of the understand was my medical coverage, just as my insurance coverage on my bike for the most part became at risk and void when competing.

Must insurance companies won't toss you out, but technically, since racing is an at risk activity, in most cases they are really under no obligation to pay out.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Look at, for instance, the massive increase of donations to LiveStrong when the USADA sanctions came down.

And your point? Jim and Tammy Baker's donations into the PTL exploded as well after he admitted having affairs.

All that is good indeed though.. Since Lance will funnel a great more of those monies into his increased legal expenses this year, maybe the huge influx will mean some money actually makes it to the intended and not the lawyers, planes, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TimAndrus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimAndrus wrote:
this is not my dog in this fight:
but why do they refund the USAT $12 and not just re-apply it towards the current insurance?

even if the lose money the consumer see's no difference in the end "coverage". have you ever read the actual coverage? until you know what the new insurance carrier is and covers one can't make a claim on which is 'better'.

as i posted in the other thread, i will not be responding to more of this, i might read it, but i'm done.

Tim......out!

Yes, getting alternative coverage is not difficult. I'm sure that's already been taken care of. Maybe it's worse, maybe it's better, in all likelihood it'll be irrelevant and unneeded.

Only about $2 of the $12 USAT fee goes to insurance. The majority of annual dues and one-day fees goes to supporting the elite team, USAT infrastructure and other costs, etc.... I don't think Rev3 could get away with simply taking the $12 USAT fee and applying it to a new insurance, plus all those with annual memberships have paid Rev3 nothing and would be getting a free ride. Note, this is all irrelevant as it appears Rev3 is refunding the USAT fees and just eating the cost of getting separate coverage, officials, etc....

fwiw, there is a very valid argument to be made that it is not worth it for a race to be USAT sanctioned. The sanctioning costs, the costs of officials, and the substantial USAT cost to participants are significant, and for my race at least, resulted in a grand total of 3 penalties handed out, although I will say that my race is somewhat of an anomaly and probably requires less policing than the majority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I don't think Rev3 is using it as a shield from criticism. I think by this point, someone in a staff capacity would have come over and said something if it were being used as a shield."

Your main point in your previous post was that this is a race to raise money for cancer research and that neither Lance or Rev3 is making any money from it. That is what I mean by using cancer as a shield from criticism.

"I think that Joe Public already has his opinion on Lance, much like everyone here already has there. No amount of participation versus non-participation is going to change that opinion. Look at, for instance, the massive increase of donations to LiveStrong when the USADA sanctions came down."

Public opinion is always in flux and actions by respected organizations matter. I see the massive increase of donations to LiveStrong after the USADA sanctions as a sad event, which shows just how badly the war against drugs in sports is being lost. Most people who are against drugs in sports see any support for Armstrong at this point as a tragedy - Rev3 saw it as an opportunity.

Lance Armstrong is the battlefront for drugs in sports. What's the argument for an 18 year old kid to not take drugs when the most successful doper of all time is still seen as a hero by a majority of Americans?

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maui5150 wrote:
Hanaki wrote:
pick6 wrote:
I have a young wife I wanted to make sure the race was insured. Plenty of reasons to make that call.

Not sure what having a young wife has to do with you racing. Hopefully you have life, disabilty and health insurance. What would happen if you were out training and were in an accident? What if you were in an accident driving to the race? Plus their coverage is only after you file a claim with your insurance company and you pay a deductlbe and it may not even cover it.

Actually quite a lot.

MOST personal insurance coverage is suspect when engaged in the activity of RACING.

If you go out and get hit while on a training ride, your level of responsibility for risk is much less than when actively engaged in a race. As a former motorcycle rider who did many track days and races, part of the understand was my medical coverage, just as my insurance coverage on my bike for the most part became at risk and void when competing.

Must insurance companies won't toss you out, but technically, since racing is an at risk activity, in most cases they are really under no obligation to pay out.

Not sure where you are from but in the US you health insurance is not going to be null and void because you did a tri as a non-pro. If you have an insurance plan like that then that has got to be the worst insurance ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
rrheisler wrote:
Just to put it out there, from the Rev3 Facebook account:

Quote:

By now we are sure that you have heard that Lance Armstrong will be participating as a survivor in the Half Full Triathlon on October 7th. It's important to know that 100% of the entry fees go directly to The Ulman Cancer Fund. Our goal in being involved with this event has been and will continue to be, to raise funds and awareness for young adults battling cancer! It is our feeling that adding Lance to the field only helps to accomplish that goal.

So I don't think they're being greedy, unless you count trying to raise as much cash for UCF as possible as being greedy.
--------------------------------
Take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt, as I'm a member of Team Rev3, and I'll defend the series to death:

1.) Keep in mind that Rev3 is NOT dropping USAT as a signatory for the entire series. That's a one-time UCF thing. And yes, you can be cynical and say their playing the "cancer" card. But for the purpose of raising funds for cancer? Yeah, it works. I've personally benefited from the work of LiveStrong, too, as they helped me family tremendously when my father-in-law was battling cancer.

It's worked so far, too, from a participatory standpoint: The Half-Full Twitter account mentioned a large wave of new registrations when it was announced that Lance would be there.

2.) I disagree with Richie, Paulo, et al who think that just having him make an appearance would have the same impact as him participating in the event. (You'll notice I'm using the term 'event' rather than race, and I'll get to the reason for that distinction in a moment.) I think part of the draw is him being there on the course, not just making a speech and handing out medals.

3.) I think there's a difference between participatory events and races. Think, for instance, of your local triathlon benefitting x charity versus your typical M-Dot or Rev3 event. Think about who is involved in those events most of the time! They are less about the actual athletic component and more about what the benefit is.

This is where, IMO, I'm able to draw the distinction. I don't think Lance should be racing in a typical AG or professional capacity due to the USADA sanction. I'd be pissed, for example, if Lance were going to be allowed to race in a professional capacity at Rev3 events, or if Rev3 were to drop USAT permanently. But I don't think he should also be prohibited from inclusion in a benefit event.

Strange line to draw? Probably. But that's just how I see it.

Thank you for coming here to give Rev3's perspective. Here's mine (ours):

My wife is signed up for this race (note, race) and one of the main reasons she did so was to boost her USAT ranking as she has not raced much this season. This would have been her third USAT ranking race, thus qualifying her for an official ranking. Now she won't get an official USAT ranking unless she switches races. So a question for you: if she requests a refund so she can race Poconos 70.3 instead, will you grant her one?

Beyond the USAT ranking issue above, we both feel disappointed that Rev3 has allowed a sanctioned doper with a lifetime ban from the sport by official bodies to race at one of their events. We will not be participating in Rev3 races in the future.

I love it how the people bitching about LA racing on here are so worried about their USAT points when the entire reason for this race is to raise money for cancer and having LA participate in the cancer division gives the event the opportunity to raise more money. Bravo on your selfishness.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Maui5150] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My last post on the topic...

LiveStrong has done more than you can ever imagine for my family when we lost my father-in-law to cancer. So I'm a bit touchy when it comes to people going immediately down into "oh, the money goes to LA's legal team" thing. Bull. I've seen first-hand what that organization can do. And yes, I've reviewed the financial documents, too.

On the other hand, the beneficiary for the race is UCF, not LS.

The point I was making was in regards to people already having their opinions hard set on the matter. Joe Public is not going to suddenly think "Gee, Rev3 thinks doping is fine in sports" because LA is going to be at their charitable event.

To Neb, as your post came up after mine:

I disagree that LA is the battleground for doping in sports. I think there needs to be more done, certainly: we need to see a hard, rigid program of testing across the entire professional field. We need to see the monies that USAT spends go to this.

I don't think we're going to change people's opinions on LA, and I don't think him participating in a benefit event changes Rev3's position on doping, either.

It's obvious we aren't going to convince each other to the other viewpoint, but I certainly respect your stance on it. I just hope you can see where my argument comes from, too.

Regardless, I think we all can agree that there's work to be done, both for the sport and for the benefit of UCF.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: [anyone still reading] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some thoughts so far.

pick6 wrote:
[A bunch of people did Gran Fondo NY which is nothing more than a glorified charity ride, and some of them got caught doping. Trying to separate the two is disingenuous.

eh, i don't know about that. Uli advertises the heck out of his race and its $100K prize purse. that said, he better be doing something to protect the integrity of that money. plus, he does not advertise his drug testing. based on his posting here, he has some kind of program to test the winners. therefore it is easy to separate these two story lines. Lance is not eligible to win anything out of this.

kny wrote:
I certainly don't understand how whatever these logistics are justify throwing away the USAT sanctioning, sacrificing your participants USAT scores, and adding the cost of purchasing your own event insurance and officiating costs, which must come from the race's bottom line as you now must refund the $12 USAT fee charged but don't have the opportunity to raise your registration fee to encompass this new cost you have accepted.

Yeah, I just don't see the logic behind this decision. But, to each their own.

i wish we'd talk more about this. isn't anyone going to express the clear disappointment in the USAT? where is the USAT value proposition? this RD chucked them overboard with no percievable repercussions. if all the USAT is providing is insurance, that's pretty lame. if the USAT was worth a hoot there would be an RD saying, "sure, i'd love to have the publicity of Lance, but the USAT is indespensible to me. i can't go with out them."

to me, it doesn't seem that we are any where near there. i can't imagine anyone having a golf tournament that wasn't USGA sanctioned.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Should we let people convicted of multiple DUI's and who have their DL's taken away, keep on driving, so as not to judge them also? " (Murphy'sLaw)

You can't compare people convicted of DUI's to this situation. No comparison. People who lose their license, lose their license. Again, we can agree to disagree.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sanctioned/banned=no license.

not sure why this is so hard for you to grasp.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure my wife is not the only one disappointed in the lack of USAT sanctioning. Selfish? Sure. Gaining a ranking is something she wanted to do. Will this destroy her? No. I suspect she'll get over it. You have no idea what we do for charitable causes (and it's going to remain that way).
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It has nothing to do with racing pro or not. It has to do with AT RISK activities.

Technically if you look at the waivers you sign at most races, you sign away any responsibility to the USAT and Race Org.

It is always better to have multiple levels of insurance. I do remember in the past going to fund raisers like BBQs and the like for injured riders because their insurance refused to cover their broken bones because their injury occured during a race which is an AT RISK activity with an assumed increased level of injury.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rev3 is allowing him to race. Go Lance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I simply don't think that charitable organizations are immune from any criticism merely because they do good things in the world. There are plenty of cancer research institutions and charities all over the world that do incredible work without associating themselves with someone like Armstrong. It isn't an either/or proposition. If UCF can't survive without involving Armstrong - they simply aren't a very good charity. As much as folks are trying to put distance between UCF and Rev3 - UCF could not pull off this race without the full support of Rev3 - which makes Rev3 just as responsible for this as UCF.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
I'm sure my wife is not the only one disappointed in the lack of USAT sanctioning. Selfish? Sure. Gaining a ranking is something she wanted to do. Will this destroy her? No. I suspect she'll get over it.
You have no idea what we do for charitable causes (and it's going to remain that way).

Irrelevant to my point.