Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
coachkati wrote:
Just to clear up a few things that are getting thrown around on the thread:
-REV3 makes NO money on the HalfFull Triathlon. UCF is the charity that REV3 supports. This year much of the REV3 staff took 21 days off and ran across the country to raise money for UCF. For the last 2 years REV3 has donated timing and supplies for HalfFull because Charlie is a nice guy and (correctly) believes that Ulman is an amazing organziation that does great things.
-Lance is not racing as a pro. He is participating as a cancer survivor. He won't be taking prize money away from pros and my guess is he doesn't care about age group awards.
Those that choose to race this race won't be sorry. It is an incredible event that is about so much more than your swim, bike and run time. The race is 70 miles long (not 70.3) to represent the estimated 70,000 young adults that are diagnosed with cancer every year. The name of the race "Half Full" has nothing to do with a half ironman or full distance. Half Full is being able to stare in the face of adversity with HOPE, OPTIMISM and the WILL to get through the difficult times and live your life. The Ulman Cancer Fund has been teaching and coaching others on how to face a diagnosis of cancer with this attitude.
So, say what you want about Lance Armstrong, doping and USAT sanctioning but this race is not about the profit and decisions that Ulman and REV3 have made have nothing to do with making profit and everything to do with supporting Ulman and raising awareness in the fight against cancer.

Sounds like Lance doesn't have to race in order for all those goals to be achieved. So why is he racing?

Because it is fun?

ETA: Or, because he can?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Last edited by: japarker24: Sep 19, 12 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:

Lance won't hurt anyone's rankings. Rankings are based on "pacesetters" (i.e people within the field that did enough races in the previous year to qualify for annual rankings). I don't think Lance had enough races in 2011 to qualify (0, if I recall his race resume correctly). Even if he did have enough races, the rankings system throws out the top and bottom chunks of pacesetters (top and bottom 20%, I think?) so your score at a particular event is determined by how well you do against the middle 60% of pacesetters, which would certainly not include Lance, even if he were a pacesetter.

As for what I would say to Lance if I were racing him...I'm honestly not sure. Part of me wants to tell him that I "looked up to [him] every day of the summer when I watched the TDF after my morning swim practice...", and the other part of me wants to finish that sentence with "...but you let me down by cheating and bullying others into colluding with you." I'm very torn on this one. Regardless of my feelings toward him, I think it would be cool to toe the line with him, for the same reason that I would think it would be cool to shake hands with Obama---just to say I did it. I shook Bill Clinton's hand many years ago and although I disagreed with many of the things he did I still look back on that as something cool.

I understand how rankings work; my point is because USAT isnt sanctioning the race, no one will be eligible for any rankings points.

As for saying anything to him, I'll decide what to do if/when I see him. I wont seek him out, Im not that sort, but if I wind up by him...
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [coachkati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard good things about this race. Wish I could be there, but my family and I are doing the Seagull Century in Salisbury, MD.

Hope you have a successful race. All the best!
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Up until last weekend, I was happy to see the USADA ban Armstrong for life but at the same time disappointed that he wouldn't be competing in triathlon anymore. However, since reading The Secret Race, I'm quite happy that he isn't able to compete in any sanctioned sporting event ever again. I could care less about the doping; he just seems like a bad guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TriBeer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my first race longer than an Olympic distance. Chosen mainly because it is close to home (I can ride the course right from my house).

Now it should be even more entertaining.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Toronto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toronto wrote:
Up until last weekend, I was happy to see the USADA ban Armstrong for life but at the same time disappointed that he wouldn't be competing in triathlon anymore. However, since reading The Secret Race, I'm quite happy that he isn't able to compete in any sanctioned sporting event ever again. I could care less about the doping; he just seems like a bad guy.

Since you just joined, are you Tyler Hamilton? Regardless of him doping , that book is a piece of crap. I can't believe anyone would read that trash.
Last edited by: CP78: Sep 19, 12 12:55
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go Lance!

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [svennn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up near the course and enjoyed riding my bike to Brighten Dam.

Have a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:

Because announcing that LA is simple appearing or promoting this event does not increase participation like the fact that he is racing it will.

I'd buy your argument if the announcement was made 6 months ago. But the timeline doesn't match to suggest a significant increase
in participation.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of Lance Armstrong and hope he has a good race on October 7. I wish he would join us for the bike ride in Salisbury, MD on Oct. 6.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
TravisT wrote:

Because announcing that LA is simple appearing or promoting this event does not increase participation like the fact that he is racing it will.

I'd buy your argument if the announcement was made 6 months ago. But the timeline doesn't match to suggest a significant increase
in participation.

True. But still more of an increase then if he was just making an appearence. And 6 months ago things stood a lot different with LA and triathlon so it's hard to use that hindsight....

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read this trash. Very enlightening, even if you already know pro cycling well. You should give it a try instead of bashing it without reading.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't forget to boycott Mathew Mconaughey movies too
http://www.looktothestars.org/...ng-on-livestrong-day
Quote:

Matthew McConaughey has put his name to an email sent to supporters of the Lance Armstrong Foundation, calling his friend and fellow Texan “one tough hombre.”
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [coachkati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coachkati wrote:
Just to clear up a few things that are getting thrown around on the thread:
-REV3 makes NO money on the HalfFull Triathlon. UCF is the charity that REV3 supports. This year much of the REV3 staff took 21 days off and ran across the country to raise money for UCF. For the last 2 years REV3 has donated timing and supplies for HalfFull because Charlie is a nice guy and (correctly) believes that Ulman is an amazing organziation that does great things.
-Lance is not racing as a pro. He is participating as a cancer survivor. He won't be taking prize money away from pros and my guess is he doesn't care about age group awards.
Those that choose to race this race won't be sorry. It is an incredible event that is about so much more than your swim, bike and run time. The race is 70 miles long (not 70.3) to represent the estimated 70,000 young adults that are diagnosed with cancer every year. The name of the race "Half Full" has nothing to do with a half ironman or full distance. Half Full is being able to stare in the face of adversity with HOPE, OPTIMISM and the WILL to get through the difficult times and live your life. The Ulman Cancer Fund has been teaching and coaching others on how to face a diagnosis of cancer with this attitude.
So, say what you want about Lance Armstrong, doping and USAT sanctioning but this race is not about the profit and decisions that Ulman and REV3 have made have nothing to do with making profit and everything to do with supporting Ulman and raising awareness in the fight against cancer.

Regardless of who is or isn't making money off this particular race, Rev3 is still creating an opportunity for an athlete with a lifetime ban to repair his image. Medical charities should be the last groups to pat Armstrong on the back and pretend like nothing happened - he participated and benefited from a drug culture which asks young athletes to make an awful choice - should I take the drugs and risk my long-term health? Or should I race drug free and spend the rest of my life asking "what if"? I know this is a sad story - especially for cancer survivors who saw him as a hero - but there are plenty of inspiring people who have survived cancer - choose one of them to be your hero and hold Armstrong accountable for his actions. Associating yourself with Armstrong in any way at this point is the same as condoning his doping.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
I read this trash. Very enlightening, even if you already know pro cycling well. You should give it a try instead of bashing it without reading.

I'm going to read the book. Haven't had time yet and I'm sure I'll find it interesting. But I have to go into it with the expectation that I am getting a skewed, onesided view to some extent just as I would if reading a book written by LA.