Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know. Both the Chicago Marathon and Rev 3 races are in full compliance ith all laws and rules. That means LA can't race chicago but can race Rev 3 (and the mtb marathon race he's slated for).

Its easy to see why that the people who wanted LA strung up are pretty pissed that so far the sum total of his ban is a little bit of rescheduling of the jet. Hopefully he'll donate the proceeds of the fuel saved by not doing Kona to the cancer fund.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
TravisT wrote:
pick6 wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
his blood was literally a cocktail of drugs being taken for off label purposes.

Either you dont understand physiology, or you dont know what literally means.

fine literally is too strong a word. He regularly had all sorts of different drugs in his body not used as intended, without a prescription, with the intention to cheat at sports. fair enough?

Because all those people who use those drugs as treatment are coming down with cancer. Stop digging your hole deeper on this one. We'll all know you hate him but at least stick with your rational arguments.

Im not even close to the only one bringing up this question now that more info is available. Further, comparing his usage of multiple drugs when there was nothing wrong with him by quacks versus medical doctors prescribing specific dosages to treat illness is a huge difference.

Comparing yourself to other idiots does not make you look smarter.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We don't need no stinkin USAT rankings. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
pick6 wrote:

Here's the difference; lance's unique physiology likely made him uniquely susceptible to cancer by EPO.

I'm certainly not a Lance lover...but that is simply not correct. There is no such thing as cancer by EPO. We know EPO
favors metastasizing in some cancers like choriocarcinoma, but we still can't claim what you just said. I'm all for the ban,
and frankly, after reading TH's book, I'm just disgusted. But there is no need to add non factual statements, or infer things
that just can't be inferred.

Sorry, too many messages too fast, how about the comnbination of drugs he was taking potentially led to his cancer. Even Ferrari worried about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Joel0135 wrote:
I'd be surprised if he tries to "win", and even more surprised if he took home prize money or anything.

Richie Cunningham is racing. I'd be very surprised if Lance doesn't try to get a better time than him. Lance remembers stuff people say about him and Richie pissed him off earlier this year.

Richie spoke out again today.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
pick6 wrote:
ericM35-39 wrote:
this.

I was very much hoping to do a Rev3 race very soon, so as to support a good product with a good price, but now I'll have to rethink that. Not at all happy w/ Rev3, and they just threw away the only thing they had going for them IMHO, the fact that they weren't WTC.

Bryancd wrote:
This is an interesting confluence of controversy. You get Lance lovers and haters as well as those who hate WTC and love Rev3. I wonder how it will color people's opinion about Rev3 when they allow Lance to race but WTC seems to be stocking to the high road in regards to Lance's ban.

I hold Rev3 blameless from what I've learned so far. The thing to remember is Rev3 partnered with UCF before Lance signed on. Rev3 is not actually directing the race, just doing the work. The race director who made these decisions is a UCF staffer, so it wasn't Charlie and Co's call. Lance isnt taking an appearance fee and is evidently donating financially to the cause, on top of likely pulling in some additional racers. I am torn on all this, but Rev3 isn't where my issues lie.

If you don't have issues with Rev3 you are being hypocritical. They are fully promoting and supporting it.

Revolution 3ţ@REV3TRI
Lance Armstrong to Participate in the REV3 Half Full Triathlon http://rev3tri.com/news/lance-armstrong-to-participate-in-the-rev3-half-full-triathlon/ Third Annual Event Benefits th

That happened after my prior posts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
If I wind up racing, and I wind up speaking with him, would be to say "thanks for helping the charity and for the sake of yourself and the sport, I hope you're doing this race clean".

20+ years ago Calvin Murphy (the basketball player) made fun of my cancer surviving brother because of his handicap. A couple of years ago I called his radio program and said, "15 years ago you made fun of my brother who has a handicap. I was only a teenager at the time, so I didn't say anything to you. But I am now, you asshole." I was hung up on and I don't think it made it to air, but I know he heard me.

But Calvin did this to my family and he had it coming. Unless Lance did something to you personally, I think it would be out of line to confront him. Though it might be worth it for the story!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's highly hypothetical. There is a link between the use of steroids and cancer, but you can't conclude that he got it
from this. Testicular cancer is far from uncommon in a healthy male under 30.
The conjecture that EPO facilitated the metastasizing is also just that: a conjecture.

Are these possible? Yes. Can we say to some degree we are sure? nope. Even 20% sure...just can't conclude. The only
thing we can say is that the use of beta-HCG is the very likely cause for the very late detection of a cancer in a male
that has a strong medical team around him, as is the case within a pro cycling team. That you can say with very
reasonable certainty.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
That it is, what I have an issue with is the collegiate conference *seemingly* celebrating racing with Lance. If this was 6 months ago, fair enough, but he's an convicted doper according to the endurance sports that he wants to race in. And I have no issue with him trying to race, if he gets races to break sanction to race, then fair enough. I just am a little confused/baffled what we as a usat certified conference are celebrating this for.

I guess how the fact that USAT collegiate championship qualifiers are based on the conference race omnium standings and dont say anything about USAT for the races themselves. Im a bit surprised by that but i guess local unsanctioned races for smaller colleges could help with inclusion, but I dont know. I'm guessing we'll see a rule change following this, or at least a cleanup of the rules.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Joel0135 wrote:
I'd be surprised if he tries to "win", and even more surprised if he took home prize money or anything.

Richie Cunningham is racing. I'd be very surprised if Lance doesn't try to get a better time than him. Lance remembers stuff people say about him and Richie pissed him off earlier this year.

So, what did he say?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
It's highly hypothetical. There is a link between the use of steroids and cancer, but you can't conclude that he got it
from this. Testicular cancer is far from uncommon in a healthy male under 30.
The conjecture that EPO facilitated the metastasizing is also just that: a conjecture.

Are these possible? Yes. Can we say to some degree we are sure? nope. Even 20% sure...just can't conclude. The only
thing we can say is that the use of beta-HCG is the very likely cause for the very late detection of a cancer in a male
that has a strong medical team around him, as is the case within a pro cycling team. That you can say with very
reasonable certainty.

Fair enough, but people dismiss it out of hand or are afraid to raise the question. Clearly his doping impacted the detection, and therefore the state of his cancer and the risk to his health he then battled back from.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pick6, interesting your obsession with Lance bashing. Did a ST search and your last 10 pages of posts are all related to Lance, Im sure it went on but I stopped clicking next. Might want to contribute something else to the ST forum, would add to your credibility here. Maybe talk about wheels or swimming?

EDIT: I admit to Lance posting on here too, but dude, literally every single post from you is Lance, doping or Hamiltons book.
Last edited by: CP78: Sep 19, 12 12:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
Francois wrote:
pick6 wrote:

Here's the difference; lance's unique physiology likely made him uniquely susceptible to cancer by EPO.

I'm certainly not a Lance lover...but that is simply not correct. There is no such thing as cancer by EPO. We know EPO
favors metastasizing in some cancers like choriocarcinoma, but we still can't claim what you just said. I'm all for the ban,
and frankly, after reading TH's book, I'm just disgusted. But there is no need to add non factual statements, or infer things
that just can't be inferred.

Sorry, too many messages too fast, how about the comnbination of drugs he was taking potentially led to his cancer. Even Ferrari worried about this.
Eating bacon 'potentially' leads to cancer...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The end of your statement, yes, most definitely. My comments were for the sake of accuracy. The shit is piled high enough. No need to pile up more.
But I sure am shaking my head in disbelief when I read some people's comments here. I wish RDs had the balls Uli has...
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a logistics point isn't the Pro race at the Olympic Distance, as is the collegiate race. Lance will be racing the Half which means he isn't after the prize purse. Theoretically, the Pro/Collegiate race could be sanctioned differently than the half(Say the Oly/Half were held on different days) thus why the decision was made.

Jeff Vanis' Blog | Challenge Family USA - Use code JVTRI15 to save 10% off your entry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of things here. Our conference (MACTC) is/was super excited to have partnered with Rev3 to allow us to race this as the MACTC "collegiate champs". They helped with costs of the event for the kids as well as allowing all the college kids the pro style transition area. So, it's cool that a race like that has allowed us to partner up with them. In terms of regulating having to race in usat sanctioned races, I doubt any new rule/regulation is sanctioned. Frankly there doenst need to be, if the deciding factor for collegiate nationals is allowed to be decided by each individual conference/region themselves.

Now, this is my own thoughts, but I dont think the conference should be excited that we get to race with Lance (only because he's serving an active doping ban). Now technically, this is all on the up and up because the race changed it's insurance format so that they could invite Lance "legally", thus no more USAT certified race. So, fair enough, and I hope that many can gain alot of inspiration from him for his cancer awareness causes. I just dont think I can be excited by it, though I will say many of my kids who are racing, really have no clue/understanding of what Lance/cycling was really about. Which I cant fault them, hell most of them werent even out of middle school when all his doping stuff went down, so likely non of them even really knew what really was going on.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
I wonder how much influence/muscle Lance's people have and how aggressive are they being to keep Lance racing and relevant?

I wouldn't qualify Lance's participation in this event either as racing or relevant.

I suppose I am just curious as to how the math works for a RD who makes the choice to allow Lance to race and the attendant hype vs. any potential negative consumer reaction by allowing him to participate. It would seem the former is more compelling to them.

Non full race, all proceeds going to charity, not putting Lance in the pro division or against AGers who would be upset (cant imagine many of the survivor division being upset). It's a strict win for the UCF, even if pros like Cunningham are speaking out. There will be a minority that wont like that their shot at improving USAT rankings disappear, or those like me who have an issue with Lance racing because of his ban. In other races and situations I could see this being more of a problem.

Lance won't hurt anyone's rankings. Rankings are based on "pacesetters" (i.e people within the field that did enough races in the previous year to qualify for annual rankings). I don't think Lance had enough races in 2011 to qualify (0, if I recall his race resume correctly). Even if he did have enough races, the rankings system throws out the top and bottom chunks of pacesetters (top and bottom 20%, I think?) so your score at a particular event is determined by how well you do against the middle 60% of pacesetters, which would certainly not include Lance, even if he were a pacesetter.

As for what I would say to Lance if I were racing him...I'm honestly not sure. Part of me wants to tell him that I "looked up to [him] every day of the summer when I watched the TDF after my morning swim practice...", and the other part of me wants to finish that sentence with "...but you let me down by cheating and bullying others into colluding with you." I'm very torn on this one. Regardless of my feelings toward him, I think it would be cool to toe the line with him, for the same reason that I would think it would be cool to shake hands with Obama---just to say I did it. I shook Bill Clinton's hand many years ago and although I disagreed with many of the things he did I still look back on that as something cool.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to clear up a few things that are getting thrown around on the thread:
-REV3 makes NO money on the HalfFull Triathlon. UCF is the charity that REV3 supports. This year much of the REV3 staff took 21 days off and ran across the country to raise money for UCF. For the last 2 years REV3 has donated timing and supplies for HalfFull because Charlie is a nice guy and (correctly) believes that Ulman is an amazing organziation that does great things.
-Lance is not racing as a pro. He is participating as a cancer survivor. He won't be taking prize money away from pros and my guess is he doesn't care about age group awards.
Those that choose to race this race won't be sorry. It is an incredible event that is about so much more than your swim, bike and run time. The race is 70 miles long (not 70.3) to represent the estimated 70,000 young adults that are diagnosed with cancer every year. The name of the race "Half Full" has nothing to do with a half ironman or full distance. Half Full is being able to stare in the face of adversity with HOPE, OPTIMISM and the WILL to get through the difficult times and live your life. The Ulman Cancer Fund has been teaching and coaching others on how to face a diagnosis of cancer with this attitude.
So, say what you want about Lance Armstrong, doping and USAT sanctioning but this race is not about the profit and decisions that Ulman and REV3 have made have nothing to do with making profit and everything to do with supporting Ulman and raising awareness in the fight against cancer.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [coachkati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coachkati wrote:
-REV3 makes NO money on the HalfFull Triathlon. UCF is the charity that REV3 supports. This year much of the REV3 staff took 21 days off and ran across the country to raise money for UCF. For the last 2 years REV3 has donated timing and supplies for HalfFull because Charlie is a nice guy and (correctly) believes that Ulman is an amazing organziation that does great things.
-Lance is not racing as a pro. He is participating as a cancer survivor. He won't be taking prize money away from pros and my guess is he doesn't care about age group awards.
Those that choose to race this race won't be sorry. It is an incredible event that is about so much more than your swim, bike and run time. The race is 70 miles long (not 70.3) to represent the estimated 70,000 young adults that are diagnosed with cancer every year. The name of the race "Half Full" has nothing to do with a half ironman or full distance. Half Full is being able to stare in the face of adversity with HOPE, OPTIMISM and the WILL to get through the difficult times and live your life. The Ulman Cancer Fund has been teaching and coaching others on how to face a diagnosis of cancer with this attitude.
So, say what you want about Lance Armstrong, doping and USAT sanctioning but this race is not about the profit and decisions that Ulman and REV3 have made have nothing to do with making profit and everything to do with supporting Ulman and raising awareness in the fight against cancer.

Well said
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
pick6 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
Joel0135 wrote:

So, what did he say?

Paraphrasing. Said he was disappointed, said if Lance just showed up and spoke, awesome. But coming to race isnt good for the athletes involved, the integrity of the race or the sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [coachkati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coachkati wrote:

Sounds like Lance doesn't have to race in order for all those goals to be achieved. So why is he racing?

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
Pick6, interesting your obsession with Lance bashing. Did a ST search and your last 10 pages of posts are all related to Lance, Im sure it went on but I stopped clicking next. Might want to contribute something else to the ST forum, would add to your credibility here. Maybe talk about wheels or swimming?

EDIT: I admit to Lance posting on here too, but dude, literally every single post from you is Lance, doping or Hamiltons book.

Other than my opinions about the risks he took with his health and the potential it had to affect his cancer diagnosis, all my other posts are factual. I joined the forum to discuss this issue after being a long time lurker. Im not a fan of cheating or doping.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
coachkati wrote:

Sounds like Lance doesn't have to race in order for all those goals to be achieved. So why is he racing?

Because announcing that LA is simple appearing or promoting this event does not increase participation like the fact that he is racing it will.