Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dongustav wrote:
So let me get this straight - you're going to ruin a bunch of college kids opportunity to race a collegiate championship because of your opinion on Lance? And you're calling HIM the d-bag...

What in the hell are you talking about? I said i would be surprised if USAT said theyd let the collegiate championship stand. Not because of my opinion on anyone, but because the race was no longer USAT sanctioned. It appears that USAT made a common sense decision to let the collegiate race continue. Its not my opinion I was simply going by the rules. Maybe if you took a few minutes to educate yourself before posting this wouldnt be an issue.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do we really need to explain. Prie0065 is correct.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericM35-39 wrote:
If I were you I wouldn't drop the race but since I haven't yet raced a Rev3 race, I'm seriously considering not ever racing one.

I think my personal vote will be with my wallet and my ability to influence (however small) on social media. I will only do races like Ironman, Gran Fondo NY, USAT, etc.

That being said WTC has a long way to go, I am really hoping for stricter AG testing for Kona slot winners.

Now that Rev3 is advertising Lance's participation, I have some concerns. I like charlie, I've met him some of his crew, and I know about a dozen of their amateur team members, good folks all. But this isn't a good decision IMO. Maybe they were contracted to advertise for the race as part of their deal, but I find it disappointing.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and I quote : "I'm fairly confident after a quick call to USAT that the collegiate championship will be invalidated because the race isnt sanctioned."

Perhaps I didnt quite understand what you meant when you typed what you said above, but I took this to mean that you were calling USAT to ask them to invalidate the race... no? If not, who was making a quick call to USAT?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Joel0135] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joel0135 wrote:
I'd be surprised if he tries to "win", and even more surprised if he took home prize money or anything.

Richie Cunningham is racing. I'd be very surprised if Lance doesn't try to get a better time than him. Lance remembers stuff people say about him and Richie pissed him off earlier this year.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
ericM35-39 wrote:
this.

I was very much hoping to do a Rev3 race very soon, so as to support a good product with a good price, but now I'll have to rethink that. Not at all happy w/ Rev3, and they just threw away the only thing they had going for them IMHO, the fact that they weren't WTC.

Bryancd wrote:
This is an interesting confluence of controversy. You get Lance lovers and haters as well as those who hate WTC and love Rev3. I wonder how it will color people's opinion about Rev3 when they allow Lance to race but WTC seems to be stocking to the high road in regards to Lance's ban.

I hold Rev3 blameless from what I've learned so far. The thing to remember is Rev3 partnered with UCF before Lance signed on. Rev3 is not actually directing the race, just doing the work. The race director who made these decisions is a UCF staffer, so it wasn't Charlie and Co's call. Lance isnt taking an appearance fee and is evidently donating financially to the cause, on top of likely pulling in some additional racers. I am torn on all this, but Rev3 isn't where my issues lie.

If you don't have issues with Rev3 you are being hypocritical. They are fully promoting and supporting it.

Revolution 3ţ@REV3TRI
Lance Armstrong to Participate in the REV3 Half Full Triathlon http://rev3tri.com/news/lance-armstrong-to-participate-in-the-rev3-half-full-triathlon/ Third Annual Event Benefits th

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Joel0135 wrote:
I'd be surprised if he tries to "win", and even more surprised if he took home prize money or anything.

Richie Cunningham is racing. I'd be very surprised if Lance doesn't try to get a better time than him. Lance remembers stuff people say about him and Richie pissed him off earlier this year.

The pro race is the olympic. Lance wont be racing against Cunningham or any other pros for that matter
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Prie0065] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hoist with your own petard.

I've got nothing, so I'll join the "shaking their head" crowd now.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [dongustav] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dongustav wrote:
and I quote : "I'm fairly confident after a quick call to USAT that the collegiate championship will be invalidated because the race isnt sanctioned."

Perhaps I didnt quite understand what you meant when you typed what you said above, but I took this to mean that you were calling USAT to ask them to invalidate the race... no? If not, who was making a quick call to USAT?

I had made a quick call to USAT to understand if the race was indeed unsanctioned; which they said it was unsanctioned, and she couldnt reach club coordinator but the lady I talked to assumed collegiates wouldnt be sanctioned. I was asking questions, not calling to try to influence outcomes.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder how much influence/muscle Lance's people have and how aggressive are they being to keep Lance racing and relevant?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I wonder how much influence/muscle Lance's people have and how aggressive are they being to keep Lance racing and relevant?

I wouldn't qualify Lance's participation in this event either as racing or relevant.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lance wouldnt have been allowed to race if the collegiate race would have been compromised (it was determined his racing wouldnt matter as technically there is no "usat" certified race requirement). I'm looking through our conference by-laws, and I honestly dont even see that the race that our conference designates as "collegiate" races even has to be usat certified. I think we mostly just assumed all were already, but this seems to be the only one that isnt. But, good for our conference, it looks to be an exciting conference championship, with or without Lance. I hope that potentially the MACTC racers who do extremely well, can be some good pub from this event.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: BDoughtie: Sep 19, 12 11:10
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no USAT-set qualification criteria for collegiate nationals. instead there is a max number of male/female that each school can take, so each school/or each conference will have their own criteria for which members of their club get to go and race. most schools would use the conference championship as the qualifier.

http://annabattiata.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [velocomp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

While running on the W&OD trail in Virginia, I saw two bikers on the trail wearing Livestrong shirts. Made me smile.

Can't wait to hear how Lance does at this race. Wish he would visit Salisbury, Maryland for the Seagull Century ride on October 6.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

I wouldn't qualify Lance's participation in this event either as racing or relevant.

I suppose I am just curious as to how the math works for a RD who makes the choice to allow Lance to race and the attendant hype vs. any potential negative consumer reaction by allowing him to participate. It would seem the former is more compelling to them.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
ericM35-39 wrote:
If I were you I wouldn't drop the race but since I haven't yet raced a Rev3 race, I'm seriously considering not ever racing one.

I think my personal vote will be with my wallet and my ability to influence (however small) on social media. I will only do races like Ironman, Gran Fondo NY, USAT, etc.

That being said WTC has a long way to go, I am really hoping for stricter AG testing for Kona slot winners.

Now that Rev3 is advertising Lance's participation, I have some concerns. I like charlie, I've met him some of his crew, and I know about a dozen of their amateur team members, good folks all. But this isn't a good decision IMO. Maybe they were contracted to advertise for the race as part of their deal, but I find it disappointing.

It probably is a good BUSINESS decision. Rev 3 is a for profit business, and the main way they make profits is by selling entries to their races. Some people hate Lance, some people love him. Some people will drop out of the race because Lance is racing, but my guess is that far more people will sign up because he is. Is it the right thing to do? That depends on someone's personal opinion. Is it a smart business decision? I would say absolutely.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I agree with it or not, but they'll probably sell more entries now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems that (in the US anyway) Lance has far more supporters than people truly disgusted by what has gone on for years in the pro peloton.
So, it's really no biggie for the RD. Lance in means more money. I guess WTC said no because they would simply not be able to get away from
USADA...although...maybe it's just a matter of time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having just done Cedar Point, the strong impression I get from Rev3 is that they are a company based around participation. If you are a pro, there is lots of money up for grabs and great competition. If you aren't a pro, you are there to participate and race against fellow triathletes.

LA is neither out there to win a championship, nor ruin your day if he beats you (and likely will) setting you back one place in the standings. Yes he will have a strong time, but that is not your concern as an individual athlete... focus on your race and whatever reason brought you to Maryland that weekend. He is there to participate, support a great cause, and continue to show his face against scrutiny and allegations. It shows that regardless of your past (leaving judgment open here), racing isn't above certain causes.

For that reason, I am all for his participation, and 100% behind Rev3 in supporting this.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look to marathons. They exploded in the past decade or so not because more hard core racers are signing up, butbecause more fitness tourists are signing up. And a lot of them are tied to charities.

If n organization is going to overtake WTC in NA as the dominate organizer, it wont be by catering to the people contending for AG wins.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

I suppose I am just curious as to how the math works for a RD who makes the choice to allow Lance to race and the attendant hype vs. any potential negative consumer reaction by allowing him to participate. It would seem the former is more compelling to them.

Non full race, all proceeds going to charity, not putting Lance in the pro division or against AGers who would be upset (cant imagine many of the survivor division being upset). It's a strict win for the UCF, even if pros like Cunningham are speaking out. There will be a minority that wont like that their shot at improving USAT rankings disappear, or those like me who have an issue with Lance racing because of his ban. In other races and situations I could see this being more of a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Maybe triathlon race directors need to learn from what race directors for more established sports are doing regarding this issue. This is what the NYRR's CEO said recently in an interview:

"“People have to understand this isn’t coming from the marathons, whether from Chicago, or us, or anyone else. It’s coming from the legal authority, probably [the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency], and we absolutely go along with the legal authorities that govern our race and sport. If Lance were to call me and ask for an entry, I would have to check with USADA, USATF, and IAAF, but it seems very likely the answer would be no, and we would follow that."

http://news.runnersworld.com/...-lance-more-with-rw/

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rev3 is going along with the rules in place. LA is banned from racing in events sanctioned by WADA signatories. No one, including the USADA has the authority to bann him from non WADA signatory sanctioned races.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [mgalluzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree it's probably good business. The majority of people at these races are newbies who don't care about doping. Article from an hour ago talking about him doing 2 long distance tri's in 2 weeks:
http://triathlon.competitor.com/...-race-calendar_62250

After Superfrog they are splitting proceeds for a Lance Q and A between the Navy Seal foundation and Livestrong

Quote:
After the race, Armstrong will take part in a Q&A with the goal of raising funds for the Navy Seal Foundation and the Livestrong Foundation. Only 250 guests will be allowed to attend the event, held at the Hotel Del Coronado, and 100 percent of the proceeds will be split between the foundations.
Last edited by: CP78: Sep 19, 12 11:45
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Rev3 is going along with the rules in place. LA is banned from racing in events sanctioned by WADA signatories. No one, including the USADA has the authority to bann him from non WADA signatory sanctioned races.

REV3 apparently moved away from their usual USAT affiliation, specifically to allow LA to participate in this event.

I personally don't care about these sorta things, but if I were an athlete doing this race for USAT rankings points, etc - I'd be pretty bent right now.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [TravisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TravisT wrote:
pick6 wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
his blood was literally a cocktail of drugs being taken for off label purposes.

Either you dont understand physiology, or you dont know what literally means.

fine literally is too strong a word. He regularly had all sorts of different drugs in his body not used as intended, without a prescription, with the intention to cheat at sports. fair enough?

Because all those people who use those drugs as treatment are coming down with cancer. Stop digging your hole deeper on this one. We'll all know you hate him but at least stick with your rational arguments.

Im not even close to the only one bringing up this question now that more info is available. Further, comparing his usage of multiple drugs when there was nothing wrong with him by quacks versus medical doctors prescribing specific dosages to treat illness is a huge difference.
Quote Reply

Prev Next