Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure how I feel about this. Last couple years this was a relatively small local race (no pro field for example) for a good cause, parking and getting the family in and out of the race was nice and easy. I guess this year the logistics are going to be a bit crazier. Still, gotta figure its good exposure for the cause. If its chilly, which it was last year, I'm very curious to see how the pros and Lance handle their gear setup; I had a friend last year who said that during the bike and run he was the coldest he'd ever been while racing due to gear mismanagement. I didn't end up that bad, but was definitely very cold on the first half of the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
kny wrote:
Disgusting.

That.

I can't believe a major player like Rev3 would put their necks out there like this. WTC absolutely made the right call by not changing their rules when he was first prohibited to WTC races due to their own rules of prohibiting those under investigation for doping from competing. And, after being sanctioned, for a major race organization company to toss the sports NGB to the side in order to enable a doper to race makes absolutely no sense to me.

I hope that the reasoned opinion by USADA comes out between now and Half Full with all the juicy tidbits that Lance didn't want to contest under oath.

I wonder what kind of testing they'll be doing they'll be doing at Half Full.

Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's ass what LA does. Race away if he can find races that will take him. But, it is absolutely perplexing to me that Rev3 would put their necks out there like this. Really dumb, imo.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scoop: money buys everything.

I wish RDs were like Uli.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before all this I would've thought WTC would stick with LA. They've always had a rocky relationship with USAT and probably need USAT less than any other race promotor in the US.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The big joke is that everyone seems to pretend that LA racing is the only way or best way to raise money for cancer.
What a freaking joke!
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
Does that mean there is no pro field anymore at Rev3 MD?

There is still a pro field which does include Richie Cunningham who has been outspoken in support of USADA. Lance isnt racing in it, Im assuming because he'd have to have a valid USAT elite card, which he doesnt have.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If he is just "racing" to raise money, I have mixed feelings.

If he is racing in the pro field for money, or even against AGers for ranking, then that is just wrong.

Dopers suck. Nuff said
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
his blood was literally a cocktail of drugs being taken for off label purposes.

Either you dont understand physiology, or you dont know what literally means.

fine literally is too strong a word. He regularly had all sorts of different drugs in his body not used as intended, without a prescription, with the intention to cheat at sports. fair enough?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [Bogusdogs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bogusdogs wrote:
pick6 wrote:
Bogusdogs wrote:
This will be very interesting for sure. Some excitement again since USADA has had nothing to offer lately.

In regards to the Lance haters, for whatever you 'hate' him for, who are outspoken on this forum, I wonder if you were to line up with him, and were to be standing next to him, if you would say any of the things you have said on this forum to his face....literally...to his face. Not shouting from a crowd at the swim start, but to his face...one on one. Just wondering. Especially if he were to look at you and say, "Have a great race."

The challenge isnt saying it to his face, the challenge is saying it to the face of a confrontational guy like Lance without ruining anyone elses day. If I wind up racing, and I wind up speaking with him, would be to say "thanks for helping the charity and for the sake of yourself and the sport, I hope you're doing this race clean".

That would be bold...but reasonable. But I wonder if you would actually be able to. I am not saying that I don't think you would, but just hypothesizing all the thoughts that would be going through your head and standing right there...next to Lance Armstrong...regardless of what you think of him. Total hypothetical of course.

If there are a bunch of people around it would be challenging, not because of Lance but because of how it would affect others on their race day. But if somehow I was face to face with him and I only had to worry about his reaction on race day, yes I believe I could say that.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick6 wrote:
veganerd wrote:
Quote:
his blood was literally a cocktail of drugs being taken for off label purposes.

Either you dont understand physiology, or you dont know what literally means.

fine literally is too strong a word. He regularly had all sorts of different drugs in his body not used as intended, without a prescription, with the intention to cheat at sports. fair enough?

Because all those people who use those drugs as treatment are coming down with cancer. Stop digging your hole deeper on this one. We'll all know you hate him but at least stick with your rational arguments.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Francois wrote:
Does that mean there is no pro field anymore at Rev3 MD?

That seems like its up to the individual racers if they want to participate. I'd be shocked if USAT suspended the Pros for racing LA in an unsanctioned race.

Has anyone asked if the organizer is willing to refund the full entry fees of anyone withdrawaing because they're allowing a convicted doper to compete?

Was this origninally a sanctioned race, with the organizer opportunistically unsanctioning it in order to get Armstrong's participation? If that is the case, then would that be an additional ground to support a refund?

Which leads to the real question, is there anyone who is withdrawing because of this?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If pick6 isn't sticking to his guns and pulling out as outspoken as a critic as he is I doubt there are going to be many.

And judging from the twitter activity I see on my feed since this came down there are going to be additional people signing up now. Small sample of course but I'd bet it holds true over a larger one.

Last edited by: TravisT: Sep 19, 12 9:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlanShearer wrote:

Which leads to the real question, is there anyone who is withdrawing because of this?

Pick6 seems to hate Lance the most of anyone and he isn't withdrawing.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

--

Kind of like the last time you have sex before you break up....

---
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
AlanShearer wrote:

Im undecided. I emailed the people who donated for me. This isnt a race I paid for, though Im willing to throw my travel money away if I cant get it back. But the people who donated, I want their opinions. One of them responded I should do it, and that letting a doper push away clean athletes isnt the way to go, but im waiting for the majority to respond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I signed up a couple days ago. I haven't been able to race much this year because of injuries and did IMMT, so a non-USAT event. Rev3's change here means I wont have a ranking for the year. A bit annoying

Race director sent out this email. Nothing about a refund other than 1 day USAT fees:

Greetings!

We are very excited to host you at the 2012 Rev3 Half Full Triathlon. Since day 1, the vision for Half Full Triathlon has always been to provide a platform to raise awareness and funds to support the programs and services of the Ulman Cancer Fund for Young Adults. The success of the event over the years can be directly attributed to the effort of many people who support this mission. This year we are very excited to announce that Lance Armstrong will be participating in the half distance of the 2012 Rev3 Half Full Triathlon along side many other cancer survivors.

Half Full Triathlon has always been about the fight against cancer and we're excited to welcome another cancer survivor to the field. Lance is a young adult cancer survivor and arguable one of the most vocal and visible survivors on the planet. Having him support our organization and the event will help us raise more awareness and funds around the young adult cancer issue.

After discussions with USAT, we have made a decision that it is the best interest of Half Full Triathlon that we secure insurance from another provider in order to maintain our mission focus on Young Adult cancer initiatives. We have secured event insurance that will protect the participants, staff and volunteers at Half Full.All 1 Day USAT licensing fee's will be refunded in the coming week.

We look forward to hosting you during Half Full weekend and thank you for your support!

Best in the FIGHT!

Brian Satola
Last edited by: USCoregonian: Sep 19, 12 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Lance to race Rev3 HalfFull tri in Maryland?? [pick6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't see the event refusing donations even if you decide not to show up.