Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
show me literature related to women with decreased libido NOT related to eating disorders -I suspect you will have difficulty finding it

Maybe I'm missing something here. You seem to be suggesting that all decreases in women's libidos are due to eating disorders. Correct?

It seems like it will be eating disorders + high training load but not JUST high training load...

Anyways this thread took the wrong turn and got too technical, its time for R10C to come back with some other "anecdotal" study, experience or story that will trump all science and entertain at the same time.

I have seen lately a thread about vomiting, another about a "celeb" puking 17+ times at Kona, this one about bulimics and people with eating disorders, body image problems, just plain depressing... I mean please enough puke for a week :)

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyways this thread took the wrong turn and got too technical, its time for R10C to come back with some other bullshit story, experience or story that will trump all science and entertain at the same time.

There, I fixed it for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2!!!!!!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
show me literature related to women with decreased libido NOT related to eating disorders -I suspect you will have difficulty finding it

Maybe I'm missing something here. You seem to be suggesting that all decreases in women's libidos are due to eating disorders. Correct?
To suggest that endurance training in and of itself leads to decreased libido in WOMEN is just plain wrong - and the literature supports this claim.

No, I am not suggesting that in ALL women decrease is libido is related to eating disorders - depression, hormone disruption, fatigue are more common, but in elite women endurance athletes? It is NOT the norm, it is NOT caused by high training loads. Given the preponderance of eating disorders amongst female athletes that is a more likely cause.

Tigerchik is just plain wrong on this one. She will be hard pressed to find any literature to support her claim that in WOMEN high training load is correlated to decreased libido. In WOMEN high training load leads to INCREASED testosterone and decreased estrogen - amenorrhea and INCREASED sex drive.

Since she did not have ready references, I can only assume she is speaking from personal experience. I would like to suggest that trying to expand on one's own anecdotal experience is usually wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [barelysub4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyways this thread took the wrong turn and got too technical, its time for R10C to come back with some other bullshit story, experience or story that will trump all science and entertain at the same time.

There, I fixed it for you.

you should know by now that some comments don't even require pink fond, it's assumed

peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [Hendon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And we have a winner...
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [turtlesam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
However, some new research is beginning to move away from this theory

In other words, the medical profession really has no clue but you diminish someone else's opinion because they are not a doctor?
Last edited by: FJB: Oct 15, 09 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Anyways this thread took the wrong turn and got too technical, its time for R10C to come back with some other "anecdotal" study, experience or story that will trump all science and entertain at the same time.

Oh no you don't, I need technical and sciency.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To

To suggest that endurance training in and of itself leads to decreased libido in WOMEN is just plain wrong - and the literature supports this claim.

No, I am not suggesting that in ALL women decrease is libido is related to eating disorders - depression, hormone disruption, fatigue are more common, but in elite women endurance athletes? It is NOT the norm, it is NOT caused by high training loads. Given the preponderance of eating disorders amongst female athletes that is a more likely cause.

Tigerchik is just plain wrong on this one. She will be hard pressed to find any literature to support her claim that in WOMEN high training load is correlated to decreased libido. In WOMEN high training load leads to INCREASED testosterone and decreased estrogen - amenorrhea and INCREASED sex drive.

Since she did not have ready references, I can only assume she is speaking from personal experience. I would like to suggest that trying to expand on one's own anecdotal experience is usually wrong.

So it's okay for you to say: no literature exists, thus it can't happen?

As for "tigerchik didn't have any ready references," I've been busy all day with schoolwork, training, and a doctor's appointment and haven't had a chance to look.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please tell me two hot chicks rode in on a carbon QR Seduza and took over when her insatiable appetite could not be fulfilled by the young stud...with Zipp 808s.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [Jeff Spicoli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jeff - PubMed doesn't have the full text (or an abstract) for this article but the title is promising:

'Overtraining' in athletes and decreased libido.
Altbuch AM.
Am Fam Physician. 1993 Oct;48(5):734. No abstract available.
PMID: 8213404 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I'll see if we've got the paper journal in the library tomorrow.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... furthermore, it's short-sighted to say "testosterone increases, therefore, female athletes must have a higher sex drive" because there are a lot of factors - physical (hormonal) and psychological that influence sex drive. And ALL of them need to be considered.

In Reply To:
No, I am not suggesting that in ALL women decrease is libido is related to eating disorders - depression, hormone disruption, fatigue are more common, but in elite women endurance athletes? It is NOT the norm, it is NOT caused by high training loads.

You keep asking me to prove what I'm saying, yet you have no evidence for claims like "it's not the norm" or "it's NOT caused by high training loads." Until you prove or disprove something you have to admit, it COULD happen. We know it happens in males so why can't it happen in females?

But I am done wasting my time arguing with you, I think it's a subject that needs more research, and I think that research will show that men and women can suffer low libido when they are training heavily. All? no. Some? Yup.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hendon: I sense from your posts that you are a physician as am I (pulmonary/critical care). It cracks me up the number of college students who read something in Biology 101 or people not in the field on this forum who consider themselves experts when commenting on medical topics. That's why usually don't post on these topics. Kudos to you to chime in.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [KL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bachelor's degree is in exercise science. I'm a grad student now (different program though).

Physicians often think they know everything there possibly is to know. That's kind of annoying too.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 15, 09 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, I am impressed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:

Oh no you don't, I need technical and sciency.

?

Peace

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why can't someone have an opinion about something just because they're not a doctor? Last I check this was a TRIATHLON FORUM, not an AMA medical conference. The idea behind this forum thingy is for people to discuss thoughts and opinions based on their own life experiences. No need to be a doctor to have an opinion, the last I checked. I think you and your ego need to find another place to vent.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well looks like tigerchick is at it again, and this time doing it while making friends with all the docs in the house.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [sufferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the love of god, can we please get this thread back to sex stories about Pro/Elite Women?

Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, one more person with a chip on their shoulder. My point is that sometimes people post on this forum medical advice when they have no background or experience in the field. A recent thread on asthma where the individual was asking for advice from the forum rather than following the instructions of their physician which has the potential to be dangerous. I don't ask for investment advice from a forum. Having been in academic medicine for a number of years, just because a study says something does not mean it is true as there are usually other studies saying the opposite.A classic example 10 years ago was when the thought that the inhaler albuterol use correlated with and increased death rate. The truth was that the more severe your asthma the more likely you are to use that inhaler and those are the people that have a higher mortality. In the end alot of people quit using albuterol that needed it and died because of misinformation from the media.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [dubyakay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
for the love of god, can we please get this thread back to sex stories about Pro/Elite Women?
damn straight. now someone post some pics! stat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
...Physicians often think they know everything there possibly is to know...

Nah. You're confusing Docs with Engineers. ;)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't it relate to area of exptertise? An MD's opinion on clincher vs. tubular is no better than mine. But, I would defer to an ortho doctor on treatment options for my broken clavicle.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2
There are also many people who do not fully understand the significance of the statistics in a research paper, glossing over them and skipping straight to the author's interpretation of data and accepting it as "fact" rather than forming their own opinion. Of course you need enough expertise and experience in the subject matter to do that and on forum's like these, I look forward to when a true expert chimes in. Please do so, there are many of us here that appreciate it!

Quote Reply
Re: Do Pro/Ellte Women Have A Sex Drive??? [sufferman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
damn straight. now someone post some pics! stat.

Maybe someone will post one of those pic's of Ficker's butt???

Prev Next