Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988
Quote | Reply
As I read about Andy Pott's unfortunate crash I'm remembering that in a parallel universe I did the Bud Light Triathlon in Chicago in 1988. I would love to see my times then to compare to now. Does anyone know where I could find those results?

I recall a very cold, non-wetsuit swim (too poor to buy one, too uninformed to know why I needed one). A friend gave my a tub of vaseline and said smear this everywhere and it'll keep you warm. Needless to say the hypothermia made the swim a forgotten moment. The bike on LSD was way cool and he run was great until the quads cramped. Ah youth!

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As I read about Andy Pott's unfortunate crash I'm remembering that in a parallel universe I did the Bud Light Triathlon in Chicago in 1988. I would love to see my times then to compare to now. Does anyone know where I could find those results?

I recall a very cold, non-wetsuit swim (too poor to buy one, too uninformed to know why I needed one). A friend gave my a tub of vaseline and said smear this everywhere and it'll keep you warm. Needless to say the hypothermia made the swim a forgotten moment. The bike on LSD was way cool and he run was great until the quads cramped. Ah youth!
Dunno, I've looked for old results and haven't found them. I've got USTS Denver from 85, but that's about it.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [TriBri00] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, you should have received the official results postcard from Tri-Fed 8-12 weeks after the race. Are you saying you didn't keep yours?!?
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey - I was in that race as well. Love to see those results for lore's sake.

lulu

nothing focuses the mind like a death sentence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that race and may have the results booklet. PM me with your name and I will try to remember to look tonight.

Are you sure you are not talking about the Stroh's Chicago Tri? That's the one that sticks out in my memory as having the coldest swim. Maybe that was 1989. The water was 60 degrees and I too did not have a wetsuit. We started at Oak Street beach and finished at Ohio Street beach. Could not put my face in the water for about 3 minutes. Brrrr Bought my first wetsuit after that race. An orange and blue sleeveless BodyGlove.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Brian M Block, DOB 1968, so I was all of 20 yrs old then. Wow I'm an old MF
Last edited by: TriBri00: Sep 9, 09 13:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Analyze my screen name and you may not feel so old.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did that race in 1990 and for the results they sent me this lame letter with my time, the top 10 or so in my AG, and the top 10 OA, and that's it. No results booklet (or I lost it, but unlikely as I'm a pack rat on the race stuff). No idea if they did results differently in 1988. Timing company was some outfit called Columbia Timing in San Jose, CA. Maybe you can find them?

The gear advances since then are great, but the single best improvement for the sport is not having to wait 6-8 weeks to get full results in the effing mail!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, Brian. I have race results booklets for the Chicago Bud Light for 1986 and 1989 but only a postcard for 1988. I also have race result booklets for the 1988, 1989 and 1990 Chicago Sun-Times triathlons if anyone else wants to take a stroll down tri memory lane.

Hey. There is a 20-year old guy from Atlanta Ga with your name who did the 1988 Sun-Times. Is that you? If so, you were smokin' on the bike - 23.1 average. BTW - If that was you, I beat your young butt!
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [wellmanadam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did that race in 1990 and for the results they sent me this lame letter with my time, the top 10 or so in my AG, and the top 10 OA, and that's it. No results booklet (or I lost it, but unlikely as I'm a pack rat on the race stuff).

I did the race in 1987. I have the results "booklet" they sent me. It has pros, top 10 finishers in all age groups and then a complete list of my age group (30-34 that year). I would guess that the OP would need someone in his age group to respond if 1988 was the same, unless he finished in the money.

Most interesting that year, a young relative unknown Brooks Clark was the first pro beating Scott Molina by a minute and a half (1:48:22 to 1:49:58). Still some pretty quick times. Our own dear beloved leader Slowman finished 30th with apparently a bit of a death march on the run. It was extremely hot that day on the run, at least by the time I was running.

MPB1950 - How very funny a coincidence. I am bib number 1950 this weekend at IMOO, and my full initials are MPB. We should swap screen names for a few days.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [MPB1950] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That might be me. I was from Atlanta then since my folks were there, even though I was in Ann Arbor during the school year. I was a USCF racer then so the bike splits were good, but run and swim times sucked. Was the Sun times race in August? I remember driving up to Chicago before going back to school in the fall. Send me the results, I may claim them as mine.

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chicago sun-times triathlon August 28, 1988

Brian Block, Atlanta, Ga

Overall: 684
Div: 119/246
swim: 31:48
Bike: 104:28
Run: 49:26
T1: 7:14
T2: 3:10
Time: 2:36:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race in 1984 and still have the results booklet. Molina in 1st, Tinley in 3rd for the men. The Puntous sisters in 1st and 2nd, Jule Moss in 4th for the women. A 22 year-old Tom Demerly also did it that year.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have the results from 1985?
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

"MPB1950 - How very funny a coincidence. I am bib number 1950 this weekend at IMOO, and my full initials are MPB. We should swap screen names for a few days."

This is surely a sign from God that you will be on the podium. Have a great race.

Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [triLook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone have the results from 1985?
\\

Here you go, but only the top 10. I dont remember ever getting a booklet of complete results, but of course I didn't need one since I always got top 10...(-;

Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [triLook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And here is the top 5 from 83..It is the original longer distance of course, and all the rest of the series from that year..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MPB1950 wrote:
Sorry, Brian. I have race results booklets for the Chicago Bud Light for 1986 and 1989 but only a postcard for 1988. I also have race result booklets for the 1988, 1989 and 1990 Chicago Sun-Times triathlons if anyone else wants to take a stroll down tri memory lane.

Hey. There is a 20-year old guy from Atlanta Ga with your name who did the 1988 Sun-Times. Is that you? If so, you were smokin' on the bike - 23.1 average. BTW - If that was you, I beat your young butt!

Would love to see the results from the Sun Times tri - it must have been 89 or 90. Ken Dawson - I was a high-school swimmer and I seem to remember my swim being in the 17 min range and just collapsing in the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vaseline makes for a messy transition, body does not breathe on the bike (hard to sweat), but I also used it at one one the first Tir,s in the Milwaukee area (Lake Michigan, Grant Park), after that bought a pale blue bodyglove.
When the water was to cold to swim at a Tri at Bradford beach, Milw, it became a duathlon, and that was when I gave up swimming in Lake Michigan.
BTW check the number in my handle and you can guess how old I am!

-----------------------------------------------------------
"You do what you have to do , so can do what you want to do."
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the deal with the Puntous sisters and 3 ties, a fourth just one second off?

RunFAR Racing Services
http://www.Run-far.com
Team Cambridge
Hilltop Bicycle Repair
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [runningmanrick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runningmanrick wrote:
What was the deal with the Puntous sisters and 3 ties, a fourth just one second off?

They were pretty much side by side every race i ever saw them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have a poster from the Chicago 1986 race?
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is amazing how fast you guys were 27 years ago.

It is absolutely amazing today given all the technological 'advancements' over the last Quarter Century.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, you should have received the official results postcard from Tri-Fed 8-12 weeks after the race. Are you saying you didn't keep yours?!?

Best laugh I've had all day....I remember those damn things!

And umm no, didn't save mine, either...

Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Tri / Bud Light triathlon results from 1988 [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake Shore Drive made for some FAST bike splits! Love that draft from traffic in the adjacent lanes...
Quote Reply

Prev Next