Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
IMH date change
Quote | Reply
For immediate release[/url]

World Triathlon Corporation Announces Date Change for the 2006 Ford Ironman World Championship

February 3, 2006 – Each year, World Triathlon Corporation (WTC) works with various government organizations in the Kailua-Kona community and throughout the state of Hawaii to finalize plans for the Ford Ironman World Championship. Recently, WTC learned from the Department of Land and Natural Resources’ officials that there is a conflict with cruise ship operators and current permits for use of Kailua Pier with the event scheduled for October 14, 2006. WTC understands the need to be flexible and recognizes the importance of tourism to the Kona community and the Big Island of Hawaii. Therefore, WTC announces that the 2006 Ford Ironman World Championship will now take place on October 21.

“With the increase of cruise ships and tourism needs related to pier use, we believe that moving our race date is the only viable solution for the Kona community,” said Ford Ironman World Championship Event Director, Diana Bertsch. “Ironman takes great pride in our partnerships within the Kona community and will continue to support our local partners. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this causes to our athletes.”

Athletes who have already qualified for the 2006 Ford Ironman World Championship at the Half Ironman Monaco Triathlon, Ford Ironman Wisconsin, Ford Ironman Florida or the Dodo Ironman Western Australia Triathlon have been notified. For more information or media questions related to Ironman, visit www.ironmanlive.com or contact Blair LaHaye at blair@ironmanlive.com or at 727-942-4767 x207.
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [Afleet Alex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the person that will be affected the most is Joe Boness............less recovery time for the Greatest IM athlete around.

t~
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and you got this information where?

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [support crew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://triathletemag.com/story.cfm?story_id=11716&publicationID=92&pageID=1705
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also have it from a valued and reliable source (the Hoyt's) - press conference to be held this afternoon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting... this means less recovery time between Kona and 70.3

...and I was really hoping to have 4 weeks.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does perhaps explain why Xterra Worlds was originally two weeks after Kona. But it does suck for people with air and hotel/condo reservations...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mark,

are you doing imh?
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thinking positively =)

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the first signal that a change in the IMH date was coming was the date for Xterra - Oct. 29, 2006. This race is usually one week after Kona and if it was to be two weeks as previous, how many would do the double????

I suspect someone figured out this f'up (marketing) and then had to figure out how to fix it.

Just thinking out loud.

Rick.
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It does perhaps explain why Xterra Worlds was originally two weeks after Kona. But it does suck for people with air and hotel/condo reservations...

Way to go, beat me to it.

Rick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i know i will not be there :-( at least from imaz.

i am out of ford california 70.3 as well as imaz. bad hamstring along with an 120% increase in q1 year over year sales has left me less than prepared for an IM in 60 days. eagleman will be my debut. does eagleman have kona slots?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If my husband would read his email I would have known too! He was notified by WTC. What a nightmare!

This is going to cost us, since we have non-refundable tickets and a condo deposit. I am sure we are not the only ones.

Just between you and me, I'm happy for the date change. It will keep Joe out of trouble trying for a quadruple! Kona, GFT, IMFL and 70.3 Champ. I guess no GFT this year for sure Kevin. :-)

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have friends who booked FF tickets for the race, of course they can change them for a small fee...but now there are none available for the new dates!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No kidding! I have already put in for vacation time, as has sherpa, as well as put 50% on a condo. What the heck do I do now?

This sucks! And I received no notification or email.............how can they do this?

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is huge!

Let's hope they don't move the transition somewhere 2miles away from the pier...
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe they will change the run course so it's more in the shade too? Screw that Natural Energy Lab part especially...
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]No kidding! I have already put in for vacation time, as has sherpa, as well as put 50% on a condo. What the heck do I do now?

This sucks! And I received no notification or email.............how can they do this?

G[/reply]

Call your condo ASAP. Mine just transferred dates for me (luckily it wasn't booked for the following week). The condo people are just as surprised and are ready for a mess. It did cost me a $25 change fee.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The good thing is that if you book now the rates might be cheaper than they were before. I am not sure all the hotels have caught up and raised rates for the special event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NONONONONO, i like the energy lab...i passed a ton of people there :D

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
i know i will not be there :-( at least from imaz.

i am out of ford california 70.3 as well as imaz. bad hamstring along with an 120% increase in q1 year over year sales has left me less than prepared for an IM in 60 days. eagleman will be my debut. does eagleman have kona slots?
Eagleman still has 30 slots for Kona, just no IMNA slots. Let me know your age group, and I'll give you a rough estimate of how many slots your AG will have.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whew! Got ahold of the condo owner and he said he was 99% sure that he didn't have it booked for the following week.

And, sherpa said he could change his vacation time........he works for a big communications company and had to have his year's request in last week. Got lucky there.

BTW, I just received my email notification.............timely, eh? ;-)

Cathy, we have got to be sure and get together this year, ok? If I do nothing else..........

G

It's a little like wrestling a gorilla.........you don't stop when you're tired.........you stop when the gorilla is tired.
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [gleveq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>Cathy, we have got to be sure and get together this year, ok? If I do nothing else.......... <<

DEFINITELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you got things changed.
clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kevin needs to focus on sprints and Gavin. But don't quote me on this...easier said than done.
Quote Reply
Re: IMH date change [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M25-29; I'm guessing I have to be sub 4:25 for sure...
Quote Reply

Prev Next