Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
In fact they are trying to make the case that the false positive rate is 0% by finding excuses for every one of the four. I have to say that this does not smell right.

What does that bit of text have to do with false positives? It seems more to have to do with false negatives (if we assume Marion was doping at that particular time)
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Then again, historically the odds of that coming back as negative are slim to none...and slim just left town :-/

Didn't a Marion Jones B sample come back negative? It's happened.

I'm referring to exo T test results...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
In fact they are trying to make the case that the false positive rate is 0% by finding excuses for every one of the four. I have to say that this does not smell right.

What does that bit of text have to do with false positives? It seems more to have to do with false negatives (if we assume Marion was doping at that particular time)

Maybe I am getting something wrong here but this is my thinking: The purpose of testing B samples is to discover mistakes made with A samples. A false positive A sample should not be confirmed by the B sample. Out of ~4000 A sample positives there are only 4 failures to confirm with the B samples, a 0.1% rate. They go further by alleging that those four are likely false negatives because of issues like sample degradation. So the false positive A sample rate is <0.1%, maybe even 0%. Tests like the EPO test and the CIR testosterone test are not like popping a sample into a black box and getting a "yes" or "no" back. There is a component of subjective interpretation. What I wonder is how 4000 A samples can be tested without, perhaps, a single screw-up by a lab.

This reminds me of a report that came out about the FBI review board for fatal shootings by agents. Out of several hundred shootings, the board did not find a single bad shooting. Hard to believe.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
I have to say that this does not smell right.

I think it's funny you used this in reference to urine

I don't know where that 4000 test thing came from, but I agree that's impossible to believe if someone is stating that. I am an analytical chemist - fuck-ups happen ALL the time. Could be human error, instrument error, etc. I find holes in "validated" test methods frequently. Sometimes they can be quite egregious.

Everyone watches too much crime drama on TV involving labs. That's not real world.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
cmorgan wrote:
McNulty wrote:
COME ON B SAMPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, RIGHT? Upside, Tour of Utah is more interesting now, with the focus on the younger riders. At least when Horner isn't talking.

Screw Horner. When he wears his hat backwards you'd swear he's Danielson. Remarkably similar in many ways.
I know a clean kid that will spank him in the mountains.

Yup. Joe D. To paraphrase Apollo Creed, "Ain't gonna be no B Sample."
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The B sample has been tested. No word on results.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. Well put.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Velonews has an interesting article on the updated test procedures which nabbed Danielson

http://velonews.competitor.com/...tom-danielson_381086

Looks like he was one of the first popped with this new method, which might explain how vehemently he's denying it. Looks like this test boils down to one of two scenarios:
  1. New method gets someone doping in a way which was previously "safe"
  2. New method has false positive, isn't proven, but launched anyway.

History tells us that the answer is usually #1. Look for a defense based on #2.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And the hits keep coming for our good ol' american clean team! Wonder if he called out JV on his "untruth".

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dan-martin-to-leave-cannondale-garmin-at-the-end-of-this-season/

This will free up serious cash for TD's defense fund. Perhaps they'll bring Floyd, Levi and Lance back from the wilderness?
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [goldentech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
goldentech wrote:
And the hits keep coming for our good ol' american clean team! Wonder if he called out JV on his "untruth".

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/dan-martin-to-leave-cannondale-garmin-at-the-end-of-this-season/

This will free up serious cash for TD's defense fund. Perhaps they'll bring Floyd, Levi and Lance back from the wilderness?

Nah, I doubt this is linked to TD's positive - just part of the usual game of musical chairs every August. Though this does spell the end for their classics season - he's basically their go-to Ardennes guy, and they really don't have much of a cobbles team.
Last edited by: timbasile: Aug 13, 15 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@TheRaceRadio is reporting that Danielson's B-Sample results are delayed because they are investigating whether the sample was spiked / sabatoged by his ex-wife.

No word on which ex-wife, however.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Last edited by: Power13: Oct 28, 15 14:56
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't figure this one out. If it were a USADA tester, they would have to watch you pee and seal it. How could his ex-wife spike it unless she had access to the samples prior to testing?

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
I can't figure this one out. If it were a USADA tester, they would have to watch you pee and seal it. How could his ex-wife spike it unless she had access to the samples prior to testing?

All she would have to do is buy DHEA at a supermarket and put it in his food. Since she would not know when he would be tested OOC, it would have to be done over a long period or before races he might be tested at.

I thought they were separated since he started hanging with Kourtney Compton so the excuse seems unlikely. If he is lying and got the FBI involved then he is in a bad place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
If he is lying and got the FBI involved then he is in a bad place.

It's not the crime, it's the coverup. Methinks TD may have gotten himself in over his head on this one. The "the ex-wife spiked my food" strategy probably sounded like a good idea at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like good ole Tom is now associated with Cinch Cycling Camps.

https://twitter.com/...ielson?ref_src=twsrc

Edit: Link Updated
Last edited by: BKyle: Nov 20, 15 7:37
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is he sporting Garmin kit at the cycling camp? I thought he had been fired by Garmin after the failed drug test.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To quote Mr. Bruce Springsteen:

"Glory days well they'll pass you by
Glory days in the wink of a young girl's eye
Glory days, glory days, "
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
Why is he sporting Garmin kit at the cycling camp? I thought he had been fired by Garmin after the failed drug test.

Looks like that photo is taken at Windy Point up on Mt Lemmon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:

Ion' believe he was ever fired as a result of the failed test as they a re still waiting in the B sample results.

Either way, Slipstream was not renewing his contract so he was out of a job no matter what. Since he was not fired, he is still under contract to wear the kit until the end of the year, I believe.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regarding the B sample, it looks like it came back positive for an anabolic steroid too.

http://www.denverpost.com/...ed-positive-anabolic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow you have to be a new level of dumbass to be racing at that level and get caught for something as easy to convalude as testosterone/androgens
Quote Reply
Re: Tom Danielson tests positive for testosterone, denies it on Twitter [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
Wow you have to be a new level of dumbass to be racing at that level and get caught for something as easy to convalude as testosterone/androgens

Tommy D. IS a dumbass. I mean that literally, not just as an insult. He is not very bright.

The author of the news article posted above seems to be confused. The title uses the word "also.". From what is currently known, the anabolic agent TD tested positive for is testosterone or one of its precursors. He did not test positive for testosterone plus another anabolic agent.

This does clear up on thing for me. Days after TD tested positive I was told by someone close that his B sample had already been tested but the results were not known yet. Months passed and nothing was announced so I assumed it was bum information.
Quote Reply

Prev Next