Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Bikers seem to be 50% of the problem - St. Marys Route - Illinois [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Are there cyclists who are part of the problem? Yes.

Are there motorists who are part of the problem? Yes

You see this in every population or large group - some don't get it. Some think the world revolves around them. You see this level of entitlement, selfishness particularly on the roads from many users - motorists, cyclists, even pedestrians.

The issue and the one that does tip one would hope a significant responsibility back into the hands of motorists, is the physics of it all. Any contact, between motor vehicle and cyclists, will almost ALWAYS turn out much worse, up to the point of being fatal for the cyclists. The cyclists, are EXTRAORDINARILY vulnerable. Yet, from the actions and behaviors, of many motorists, way beyond the aforementioned bad apples, drivers don't seem to understand the basic laws of physics around this. How else to explain why so many motorists squeeze through that narrow gap between rider and yellow line leaving scant inches to spare. They precision drive for a living? They know the road is perfectly smooth ahead of the cyclist? They know the cyclist is a pro and can hold his/her line?

Physics? Are you kidding? As the American population becomes stupider and stupider, there is little hope that somehow people (in general) will actually understand in a rational way the consequences of their actions (Idiocracy - the minister of the Interior, Not Sure, convinces members of the cabinet that plants need water because the plants TOLD HIM that). The problem is, the supposedly intelligent and educated persons in position of city and road design, engineering, and politics, have chosen to build this entire country for and around the AUTOMOBILE with the primary infrastructure of stroads (a word used by Chuck Marohn, StrongTowns). People? Bikes? Pedestrians? Meh. Science? Meh.

Americans should be ashamed of themselves:

http://www.businessinsider.com/pisa-rankings-2013-12

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Bikers seem to be 50% of the problem - St. Marys Route - Illinois [SPL Tech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in New Zealand, a few years ago, the cop responsible nationally for road safety, happened to be a cycle commuter. He was killed by a motorist on his way to work, while riding legally. There was a certain amount of outrage in the press, for a day or two, but as far as I know, little or no consequences for the motorist.

My son was hit by a truck while riding. My son was riding in a bus/commuter lane, at 2pm in bright sunshine. The truck drove from the regular vehicle lane and knocked him off his bike. My son spent almost 4 months off work due to his injuries. The truck driver got a $400 fine for 'improper lane change'

My cousin was killed, along with 2 friends, while cycling in the country, by a driver who was on the wrong side of the road. I forget the exact repercussions, but it amounted to a slap in the face with a we noodle.

Walking, riding, driving, flying, we are all just people. How we get killed isn't particularly important. Getting killed by someone who is incompetent or inattentive still leaves the person dead. There should be a cost to the assailant (because that's what they are) in some form.

Regardless of the type of crime, I believe restitution is the starting point, and the punishment should be addedd to that. There's no way a victim should be out of pocket in any way.

I do however see that something like swerving to miss an oncoming truck, and hitting a cyclist is different than swerving to scare a cyclist and misjudging it and killing them. The restitution part should be the same, but the punishment should vary. Actual costs should be covered. A pain and suffering cost should also be covered and the victim should receive that. Then a fine and/or jail time (depending on the crime) should also be imposed.

when people start truly suffering the consequences, and being held responsible for their actions, THEN maybe we'll have a better more responsible society. Until then, I'll just keep buying lottery tickets because my odds are better there.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply

Prev Next