Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Champion Systems Apex Speed Suit Questions
Quote | Reply
Ordering one with my team kit and wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Front zip or back zip for more aero? I prefer a backzip (zipping down) on my tri suits but I have a slight concern with cooling on the champ sys speed suit. Thinking the front zip might be a better way to go for that, but I have a gut feeling the back zip would be more aero.

Also, sizing. I am kind of all over the place on sizing, but typically I'm a medium top/small bottom in two pieces, and a medium in most brands of one piece tri suits (although I could squeeze into a small probably on most unless it's a super race cut). TT skinsuits I'm a small (see pic below) but I'm going to try an Extra Small on my next one because the small below fits me fine but isn't overly tight. You can see the wrinkles where it bunches up at the joints and for TTs I'd like to eliminate those.

With that considered, should I go with a small in the Apex or size down another notch and go Extra Small? I'm thinking that I'll still have to run in the suit, so I wanna make sure that it doesn't impede my run - but still get the aero gains on the bike.

I'd be using this suit for 140.6 and 70.3 races this year (maybe Leadman 125 if it gets here in time).

Any help would be appreciated! I emailed Champion Systems and they simply emailed a one line reply with a link to their sizing page :\
Last edited by: SurfingLamb: Jan 21, 14 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: Champion Systems Apex Speed Suit Questions [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
Ordering one with my team kit and wanted to get some thoughts on this.

Front zip or back zip for more aero? I prefer a backzip (zipping down) on my tri suits but I have a slight concern with cooling on the champ sys speed suit. Thinking the front zip might be a better way to go for that, but I have a gut feeling the back zip would be more aero.

Also, sizing. I am kind of all over the place on sizing, but typically I'm a medium top/small bottom in two pieces, and a medium in most brands of one piece tri suits (although I could squeeze into a small probably on most unless it's a super race cut). TT skinsuits I'm a small (see pic below) but I'm going to try an Extra Small on my next one because the small below fits me fine but isn't overly tight. You can see the wrinkles where it bunches up at the joints and for TTs I'd like to eliminate those.

With that considered, should I go with a small in the Apex or size down another notch and go Extra Small? I'm thinking that I'll still have to run in the suit, so I wanna make sure that it doesn't impede my run - but still get the aero gains on the bike.

I'd be using this suit for 140.6 and 70.3 races this year (maybe Leadman 125 if it gets here in time).

Any help would be appreciated! I emailed Champion Systems and they simply emailed a one line reply with a link to their sizing page :\

Gonna be tough to get reviews given how new that product is. From an aero standpoint, I doubt the location of the zipper influences much. The fastest skinsuit available for purchase has a zipper in the front so it can't be all bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can already tell you that suit isn't really helping you out to much in the pic.

James:
I saw the PI Octane save 20w on one person and cost 2 others 10-20w. Only way to know for sure if the PI is helping or hurting is testing or know what to look for in the fit.

It's like aero helmets, what works great for you may suck ass on me. BTW james you interested in selling one of your aero helmets?

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jan 21, 14 8:13
Quote Reply
Re: Champion Systems Apex Speed Suit Questions [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
I can already tell you that suit isn't really helping you out to much in the pic.

James:
I saw the PI Octane save 20w on one person and cost 2 others 10-20w. Only way to know for sure if the PI is helping or hurting is testing or know what to look for in the fit.

It's like aero helmets, what works great for you may suck ass on me. BTW james you interested in selling one of your aero helmets?

I was referring to the Castelli Body Paint skin suit. Triathlon suits are a step below that, generally.

I don't have that many helmets any more haha.
Quote Reply
Re: Champion Systems Apex Speed Suit Questions [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
James Haycraft wrote:
desert dude wrote:

James:

I was referring to the Castelli Body Paint skin suit. Triathlon suits are a step below that, generally.

I don't have that many helmets any more haha.

That's apparently a good suit. You can't stand up in it though. Then again, that's not the point. Big Big takeaway, tight and textured in the arms and no wrinkles.

Heath Dotson
HD Coaching:Website |Twitter: 140 Characters or Less|Facebook:Follow us on Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frame's too small...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I literally have the exact same questions. I'm ordering one of these from Champsys as well for 70.3's. I'm tired of getting sunburnt really bad so this suit will definitely help my back out. Let me know which side you pick for the zipper.

Looks like Luke McKenzie chose the zipper in the front
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...st_2013KonaMrun2.jpg

and so did Craig Alexander
http://www.slowtwitch.com/...arge_015_TCKona2.jpg

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jan 21, 14 9:56
Quote Reply
Re: Champion Systems Apex Speed Suit Questions [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushman wrote:
Frame's too small...

heh. I'm still having some fit issues. :(
Quote Reply
Re: Champion Systems Apex Speed Suit Questions [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it were me, I'd try it on before buying and make sure I had my bike with me and someone with a camera who could take my pic in the aero position. It could be slower.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree. I get seriously bad sunburns from 70.3s, and I'd rather wear this than risk skin cancer oneday. And yes, I do put sunscreen on

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general...

If you have a small upper body it's not going to work. Any wrinkles seem to kill sleeved suits.
Quote Reply
Re: Champion Systems Apex Speed Suit Questions [JTolandTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I am 6'2 so I hopefully won't have to worry about wrinkles

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'3"...and one of the guys Brian mentioned losing 10-20w...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jeez! 10-20W? how did that happen?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh...and I was wearing a small...

I'll have the exact numbers at some point, but they were along those lines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can understand how wrinkles and such can cause drag but how does wearing a suit that covers your shoulders and armpits cause that much drag?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It basically looked like I was wearing a loose fitting bike jersey around the shoulders and biceps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aka, if someone is lean but has swimmers arms (a la Luke McKenzie) the suits are solid. But anyone with a leaner upper body may be hosed.

Interesting.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bad fit = slower.

The PI on Jack and I (same suit matter of fact) ate watts. I was faster in my 2 piece desoto shorts and 2xU top vs the PI suit. your mileage will vary.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Champion Systems Apex Speed Suit Questions [TriPigeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim at ERO was interested in the possibility of improving the PI's aerodynamic on me by testing with the suit pinned behind the arms and then having it resewn, but I decided there were more important tests to be done for the time being. So that could be potential solution for someone.

Hoping there should be some new stuff hitting the market and I will probably be going with a nice snug Kiwami Amphibian Prima for now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll admit, I'm hoping to test the CS Skin principally because their Apex bibs and chamois have been my ideal fit so far. I'm a bit bigger in the shoulders than most Triathletes (to the dismay of my bike fitter) so I'll cross my fingers that I can get a good fit.

Thanks so much for posting your experiences from the aero testing, incredibly useful to the rest of us!

-----------------------------------------------------------
Proud member of the GUCrew
Twitter: @tripigeon Blog: Ironpigeon.com
Thoughts on AG sponsorships / community involvement: http://bit.ly/1dQlVDy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I am going to buy it anyway. Champsys stuff normally fits me very well and I'm sick of getting really bad sunburns. This will solve my problem and hopefully give me a little extra speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problem,

As Brian said, if it fits it is FAST. Basically if its a wrinkle free fit I would definitely give it a shot, if it has a few wrinkles I would want to test it, but would take my chances in the mean time, and if it has lots of wrinkles it likely, not certainly, won't do you any good over a tight fitting trisuit.

No problem on the testing experiences. I've learned quite a bit inferring from others data and am happy to contribute now that I have some data.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear Size Small in most of my CS stuff, and just tried a teammate's new Speedsuit. Definitely going for the S, but I wouldn't consider going lower if you want to run in that thing. I'm 6"2 and skeleton-skinny (140lbs) and while the sleeves fit well, any smaller would have me running with a perma-wedgie. After PR'ring the bike by a long shot with an Adidas TechFit compression top (and spending a good 30W less than a few friends who raced similar times), I'm a sleeve-suit convert. Shame most of my racing is in wetsuit-illegal waters.

Cooling doesn't seem to be a problem in the CS suit, since we've just had a 70.3 with a warm and humid run and my teammate, who usually suffers in the heat, survived just fine.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTolandTRI wrote:
No problem,

As Brian said, if it fits it is FAST. Basically if its a wrinkle free fit I would definitely give it a shot, if it has a few wrinkles I would want to test it, but would take my chances in the mean time, and if it has lots of wrinkles it likely, not certainly, won't do you any good over a tight fitting trisuit.

No problem on the testing experiences. I've learned quite a bit inferring from others data and am happy to contribute now that I have some data.

Assuming both suits fit and are wrinkle free, is there any significant difference between the Pearl Izumi Tri Octane and the Champion Apex suits?
Quote Reply

Prev Next