Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Hooker stolen bike story
Quote | Reply
Thought i would finish a story i posted about a month ago, I collect old TT bikes and have been looking for a Hooker for a few years,two turned up on Ebay last month so i made a offer just to see where the seller was on the amount,minutes later i had bought it. I recieved the bike and at once knew i had seen the paint job before,A poster on Slowtwitch had even said they had never seen a black one,the photos on ebay did not look black but i could not tell what the paint was.
When i took the frame out of the box i told a friend i bet the bike was stolen,so a few days later i did a Google search and found posts on Slowtwitch about a fellow Slowtwitcher when he had bought the bike, then more posts about the paint job he had done, then posts asking folks to keep a eye open that the bike had been stolen, I found the owner and sent a message asking if he had ever found the bike, No but thanks for asking was his answer,at this point i sent him my phone number asking him to call me,i about a hour we were talking and i told him i had his bike that had been stolen fives years ago it had just arrived from Colorado not far from where it had been stolen. So tons of emails, fights with ebay, calls to police, the bike arrived back home last week almost five years to the day it was stolen.
Quote Reply
Re: Hooker stolen bike story [toolguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow! Nice story, thank you for sharing

Formely stef32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a very good and honest person for alerting the original owner. I hope karma comes back your way. Good on you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not the direction I was hoping with this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toolguy wrote:
Thought i would finish a story i posted about a month ago, I collect old TT bikes and have been looking for a Hooker for a few years,two turned up on Ebay last month so i made a offer just to see where the seller was on the amount,minutes later i had bought it. I recieved the bike and at once knew i had seen the paint job before,A poster on Slowtwitch had even said they had never seen a black one,the photos on ebay did not look black but i could not tell what the paint was.
When i took the frame out of the box i told a friend i bet the bike was stolen,so a few days later i did a Google search and found posts on Slowtwitch about a fellow Slowtwitcher when he had bought the bike, then more posts about the paint job he had done, then posts asking folks to keep a eye open that the bike had been stolen, I found the owner and sent a message asking if he had ever found the bike, No but thanks for asking was his answer,at this point i sent him my phone number asking him to call me,i about a hour we were talking and i told him i had his bike that had been stolen fives years ago it had just arrived from Colorado not far from where it had been stolen. So tons of emails, fights with ebay, calls to police, the bike arrived back home last week almost five years to the day it was stolen.

Very cool. So did eBay reimburse you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread needs pictures. And possibly even some links to the older slowtwitch threads.

Very cool story, good on you for doing the right thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good for you, sir, the world needs more people like you.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice story and good deed on your part!

I have to admit though, when I opened this thread I was hoping to hear a story that involved hookers and triathlon bikes. Complete with pictures would have been even better!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toolguy wrote:

It is threads like this that restores my faith in the American people. You sir are a good man.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope the eBay "seller" was also the thief, otherwise an innocent person just lost out on a ton of $. Yes I realize this person was in possession of stolen property but who knows how many hands the bike could have gone through in 5 years. Glad the frame got back to its rightful owner! And a HOOKER too. Love the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May the wishes of a thousand genies be granted to you sir.
Karma will indeed repay you. :0)

Quote | Reply
Good for you.

So what happened to money you paid to the seller? Did you get a refund from ebay?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Hooker stolen bike story [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The seat was proably too high~!

Steve Q
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Needs pics and the result of battling over the money with Ebay. That being said, kudos for making an effort and doing the right thing.

---------------

"Remember: a bicycle is an elegant and efficient tool designed for seeking out and defeating people who aren't as good as you."

--BikeSnobNYC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing story!
Quote Reply
Re: Hooker stolen bike story [MadTownTri74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, great awareness and effort!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the ebay thing went like this,they did not care it was stolen,to get my money back i was told to return the bike to the seller, i was not going to do this the orginal owner wanted the bike back and had a reward for its return,he told me i would not be out any money,, What i wanted was to return the bike to the owner,even if i never saw any money, Sending the bike to someone who may have been a part in its theft was never going to happen,,,, It was my bike i could always keep it, At this point the police were not going to look into the case any more,
The owner and i talked about me keeping the bike but in the end he wanted it back, last Wednesday it arrived back to him and he said it only had a few more scratches but looked the same as five years ago. I belive the bike was never more then twenty miles from him for five years,,it was sold at a flee market in Denver to the person who ebayed it, after contacting the seller and telling him it was stolen and had a police report he went to the police thinking i was trying to scam him somehow, if he knows who stole the bike he is one cool guy,i told him i was going to give him negitive feedback and he seemed fine with it,
Every year i buy myself a birthday or Christmas present, well i am out my birthday present and out a Hooker bike. The owner said he would tell his side of the story, To me its just cool that this has roots around Slowtwitch, with out his posts about the bike i never would have known it was stolen, I do hope the owner will post his story, What are the odds that a bike stolen five years ago comes from Colorado to Florida back to Colorado and arrives almost to the day five years later.
Last edited by: toolguy: Oct 24, 12 9:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
toolguy wrote:
Well the ebay thing went like this,they did not care it was stolen.

That's troubling.

But, somehow, not at all surprising. Ebay corporate is all about the benjamins ...

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great story, sorry about the ending though.

As it turns out, I found a Hooker Elite earlier this year which had a bad second paint job, though brakes, fork and seatpost are all fine. I had the frame restored by a professional frame painter with original down tube decals and raced it this year at Charlotte Motor Speedway TT series. Problem is, it is a 56 cm which is a too tall for me. I rode it anyway 'cause it is so cool. Thinking of putting it up for sale next spring. I will be sure to send you a message if I do.

Rich G in NC

Quote Reply
Re: Hooker stolen bike story [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattAune wrote:
This thread needs pictures. And possibly even some links to the older slowtwitch threads.

Just a guess, but it may be this thread from almost exactly 5 years ago:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...en%20hooker;#1534821

One of the pics is still working.
Quote Reply
Re: Hooker stolen bike story [E-Bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That would be the one
Quote Reply
Re: Hooker stolen bike story [E-Bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good find.

That is a rather unique paint job.
Quote Reply
Re: Hooker stolen bike story [baudyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a sweet looking rig, i am tall i looked at a 57cm but never got any info back from the seller the hooker i did buy was a 59 and wouls have needed a longer seat post, I am 6' 4" so may need a 60=63 cm not sure if Hooker ever made any that large, i really would love one with a 650c front wheel as i collect funny bikes (tt bikes)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
great story

Quote | Reply
No problem toolguy. By the way, mine is a Hooker Elite "Cat.1", which was built and advertised as a road bike that could also double as a TT bike (just no cowl over the stem). Wheels are 700c. The pic shows an Ouzo Aero fork that I put on because I thought I was going to be doing more road courses, but I have since gone back to the chromed, heavy, (but beautiful) stiletto forks. I'll probably sell it and then kick myself for the rest of my life for doing so, just like I did with a Zipp 2001 I had a few years back. Good luck in your search, that's part of the romance of the whole thing, right?

Rich G
Quote Reply

Prev Next