Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: trisports filing for chapter 13 [Hounddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hounddog wrote:
I noticed that Trisports has an opening for a buyer at the Tuscon store.

https://www.linkedin.com/...2CVSRPcmpt%3Aprimary

I'd take this as a good sign.

Not necessarily....the previous position holder may have "seen the writing in the wall" and left and this could just be replacing a vacate position.

Not saying that is what is going on here, but just because there is an open position does not mean that things have necessarily improved. (But it could be, as well).

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: trisports filing for chapter 13 [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had thought of that, but since buyers are usually the people who are spending the money, in tough times, they generally aren't back filled. Hard to say at this point.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: trisports filing for chapter 13 [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the sport has become too costly to remain competitive and alluring to newbies at the same time. When you show up at a big race and nearly everybody is on a bike that looks like it was made by NASA and wearing skinsuits that aren't even legal in the Olympics, it just seems too ridiculous to bother competing in. What is unfortunate is that a lot of this gear was accumulated over a long period of time, but it appears all at once in front of the newbie. Ironically, the aero/expensive stuff that is most visible doesn't offer anywhere the speed of body position, technique, or training, but such is life.

It would be cool to do a race where round tube road bikes with standard wheels are mandated, along with no aero or expensive gadgets. If it wasn't around at the first triathlons, you can't use it. What would the list of other "Retrogrouch Tri" prohibited items include? Aerohelmets, aero bottles, GPS, HR monitors, swimskins?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: trisports filing for chapter 13 [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be cool to do a race where round tube road bikes with standard wheels are mandated, along with no aero or expensive gadgets. If it wasn't around at the first triathlons, you can't use it. What would the list of other "Retrogrouch Tri" prohibited items include? Aerohelmets, aero bottles, GPS, HR monitors, swimskins?

I was part of a consultative process back earlier this year, about a possible event that has echos of this. I can't give away more details, than that as it's still under wraps, but what it was attemping to do was strip swim/bike/run down to it's most essential and basic elements. The marketing people and some of the bigger brands potentially involved in this project loved it. However, we came to the conclusion, ironically, that despite the fact that this would be a triathlon, swim/bike/run, few modern triathletes would actually be interested in it - which presented a few challenges. However, it would open up swim/bike/run, to a potentially much bigger and wider audience . . which is ultimately what will be helpful to everyone!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: trisports filing for chapter 13 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

I was part of a consultative process back earlier this year, about a possible event that has echos of this. I can't give away more details, than that as it's still under wraps, but what it was attemping to do was strip swim/bike/run down to it's most essential and basic elements. The marketing people and some of the bigger brands potentially involved in this project loved it. However, we came to the conclusion, ironically, that despite the fact that this would be a triathlon, swim/bike/run, few modern triathletes would actually be interested in it - which presented a few challenges. However, it would open up swim/bike/run, to a potentially much bigger and wider audience . . which is ultimately what will be helpful to everyone!

Warm water, no swim skins, bikes are provided (like CitiBike Bikes), no watches. Would be a riot to watch or race.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: trisports filing for chapter 13 [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That race would be awesome. Years ago I played Rugby and we used to play in a 7 a side tournament every summer. For those unfamiliar it is a shortened version of regular rugby as far ashow long the game takes. Regular rugby has 15 a side and therefore much faster so the seven aside version is not really a big man's but a speed game ( it debuts in the next summer olympics).

Anyhow my point was that the tournament we played was a fun one put on by the big guys (props & hookers). Anyone who wasn't a prop or hooker had to wear rubber boots! Basically slow the fast guys down. We had a blast.
Quote Reply
Re: trisports filing for chapter 13 [yikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yikes wrote:
Anyone who wasn't a prop or hooker had to wear rubber boots!

out of context quote of the year.
Quote Reply
Re: trisports filing for chapter 13 [commendatore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been racing since '95 and agree some of the stuff is out of hand in the tri world. I remember when sprint or oly races were around $40-$50 and you would get all kinds of swag. Now I see Oly races for $200 and wonder what the heck am I getting for $200?? I understand permits, closing roads, and off-duty police officers cost money, but $200 for an Oly race that isn't even a qualifier for ANYTHING?? Seems a little ridiculous and intimidating for a newbie.

Mandy
Quote Reply
Re: trisports filing for chapter 13 [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think a problem with this is you CAN get aero stuff for so cheap now that its perfectly likely someone may have to have another bike to be able to race that type of race. I could easily build an S1 or S2 for under 1500.
Quote Reply

Prev Next