Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
the fight.
Quote | Reply
I'm ashamed, and i'll tell you why im ashamed, because i let some hockey scumbag get to me at the local derby.
My friends local team played against another local team and the end result ended in their fans throwing oranges at us (the fans).
They didn't cease to throw oranges at us, until i got up and requested with a plea, "please throw another orange at me" which they willfully did.
My friend who i went to watch the game with had the immediate action to throw a punch upon release of the orange, perhaps i was looking for a fight, and was definitely in the wrong for wanting this gentleman to throw another orange at me, or perhaps i was just working in self defence, regardless i acted in an immature manner.
I released lots of anger and provoked somebody else aswell as engaged in a physical quarrel which the end result was negative.
does this make me a better person? absolutely not, but i did learn a lot from this experience, i learned that #1, im easily provoked, #2, provoking other people can result in not only a verbal dispute but a physical dispute, and #3, you gain nothing from idiots that talk smack and start to provoke.
tonight I fought somebody, somebody who i'd never met before in my life, someone who thought it would be funny to throw and say things at me, and I showed how much of a lesser person I was, and not only does this reflect upon myself, it reflects upon my entire community and social surroundings.
What an unfortunate turn of events.
I've never shown this kind of aggression in the pass, but why now? why would I let some hockey half-witt get to me like this?

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: the fight. [Ted McGregor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fighting's only bad if you lose or your mama catches you!

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Learn from it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont let in get to you too much. I've played hockey and lived in small towns almost my entire life, and with a lot of experience on this topic i can say sometimes its the only choice. The argument about always walking away and being the better person will often leave you with more regrets than the alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I assume everyone is okay; no one got it too badly. Its a learning experience and you're okay so you'll be a better man for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really want to learn from this - I mean learn about you and your social world and how that might lead to violence - pick up Hannah Arendt's "On Violence". I taught it this past semester, and I found it truly enlightening.
Last edited by: caleb: Dec 19, 06 22:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why? Because you're tired (less ability to control yourself) and you're fight system is aggatated. There's a lot of noise and your hormones are roiling. When a man looks into another persons' eye it means one of two things-"I want to eat you or I want to fuck you". We have adapted to this behavoir but sometimes when one is on the edge we forget the rules and full back to the basics.

The best part is that you learned something very valuable about yourself-a lesson a little expensive but not too expensive.

Japanese saying- a smart man learns from his mistakes; an intelligent man learns from the mistakes of others. I am going to forward this post to my 16 year old son.

my 2cents-for what it's worth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every Canadian needs to get into a hockey fight at one point - it's like a right of passage.
Quote Reply
Re: the fight. [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The best piece of advice that I ever got from my father was, "Never lay a hand on another man unless you fully intend to end his life and accept the consequences for doing so."
Remembering this has kept me out of a lot of trouble and even saved my life.

Eric Doehrman
E3 Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're a bad person for not letting some guy get away with throwing oranges at you for no reason? I don't think so.

-C

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me get this straight: The guy provoked you. You reacted in a manner that you find personally reprehensible (That's a good thing as it shows you have a conscience) and hope not to repeat the behavior. Where I come from we call that growth.

Don't be too hard on yourself (and pick a better seat at the match next time).

(note - The Bronx in me wants to cheer you on for throwing a beating to a guy who was throwing stuff at you, but I don't think you want to hear that.) ;)...

B.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just curious as to what the "right" solution is supposed to be for something like this? People always tell you to just walk away, but then the other person doesn't learn the consequences of their actions and will probably repeat them, victimizing someone else. If you call for security or try litigation, you're painted as a whiner, and the person still probably doesn't learn the consequences, because they think you're just a baby. I'm not advocating fighting, especially at kids sports events, which carry a different obligation than an adult situation, but I wonder if it's such a great thing to get so "civilized." Just a thought. You would hope that arena or league officials would put an end to this by disqualifications or something, but it seems like that wasn't happening.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
why would someone bring oranges to a hockey game?
Quote Reply
Re: the fight. [GearGrinder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hockey is getting violant these days !!!
I remember when they were revising the penalties and violance rules, Don Cherry said in a TV that this is mostly because the audience is interested to see more fights in the arena, this also leaks out of the field I think. Personaly I never got into watching hockey (I know it is a shame) but I have vision problems and I can't follow such a fast paced game.

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative." Oscar Wilde
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't have anything to be ashamed of.

Some dude was throwing oranges at you? While I wouldn't consider an orange to be a deadly weapon, it can definitely hurt you.

I call it "self defense." If you don't stand up for yourself, no one will.

I'm glad you don't take it lightly, however, and feel bad about laying the smack down on this punk. But sometimes, some folks just deserve a beating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Atta boy Ted. ! Who says that guys who shave their legs are sissys? OK say it one more time. : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You sure you're not American? In American the fans get into fights all the time at sporting events, sometimes even with the athletes.

I'm sure that the ladies (and some men) of ST will forgive you if you did not hurt your face.
Quote Reply
Re: the fight. [dennis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its probably best the hockery fans didnt know that little tidbit :-)
it could have gotten ugly... :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, but did you win or lose the fight?

I think the best move would have been to catch the orange and start peeling it. That's what James Dalton would have done...Either that or just pointing at the other guy and laughing. Nothing infuriates someone more than that.

I'm glad I live in the USA where that kind of senseless violence would never happen.
Quote Reply
Re: the fight. [E-Bell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back when the Orange Bowl was the big show, fans used to throw oranges onto the football field at Nebraska football games. A police officer got hit with a frozen one and was severely injured. He ended up having to take some kind of early retirement or disability. That was the end of oranges at Memorial Stadium.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn't happen.

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
because i let some hockey scumbag get to me at the local derby.

Sucks to get in a fight...I've been in one my entire life...lucky me I guess.

But since when is a hockey game between two rivals called a "derby" - isn't that reserved for horse races, fishing, smash up cars, roller skaters, soap box cars and the British?

Good athletes train when they want to, great athletes train when they don't......

Last edited by: mileader: Dec 20, 06 7:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay, you're forgiven.

Now, tell me, did you tag the other guy good at least one time?

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#4 you could get hurt
#5 someone else could get hurt
#6 you could get arrested and go to jail
#7 you could be sued in a civil matter
Quote Reply
Re: the fight. [parkito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im not getting into the details of this.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply

Prev Next