Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
my thoughts on zwift
Quote | Reply
So last week I asked about switching to Zwift from trainer road.

Today I tried a free trial and I gotta say, Eh?

It was ok, Sprint points and Drafting were fun but with trainer road its so much more structured.

I like having end point or goals (get through the next interval, finish out my hour, Raise my tss,etc..)

Zwift was novel but I don't think I would pay for it

Just my opinion, I'm sure its the exact opposite for others

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a workout mode and creator that does just about everything TR does.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

you realize you can do your structured intervals in zwift right? like you would outside.
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that you can do structured workouts on Zwift, I guess the animation just doesn't hold my interest enough to make the switch.

on that note I also have a PS4 that I have turned on 2 times in the last year, not much of a gamer i Guess

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
X2. I'm in the same boat.

There's two reasons I ride a bicycle: (1) to train so I can race and (2) to ride for enjoyment.

Trainerroad completely satisfies reason number 1. I feel like the graphics, etc. of Zwift get in the way of my workout. Secondly, if I'm going to be riding for enjoyment, I'll be doing it outside.

But, different strokes for different folks.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not only does Zwift have structured workouts, but also every Sufferfest workout. I'm just starting week 12 of their 12 week FTP Builder plan. Raised my FTP 40 points when I figured large gains in FTP weren't in the cards for me anymore.
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [kkerns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree to an extent. I will say that zwift has a great group of people doing races all the time. Racing in zwift can be super fun. It can also kill most workouts if your racing I the right group.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You didnt mention events, which they're developing further as we speak

Hop on sunday morning 7:30am PST and do the ESS group ride.

Have to hold 3.5-4w/kg for an hour (4 laps watopia) -- a fantastic time, good people, good pacing.

When I do this event, i get so excited about what's coming in terms of organized planning, group rides, schedules, races, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's for some people and not for others, personally I like it but if it doesn't do it for you, keep doing what does.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Post deleted by BBB1975 [ In reply to ]
Re: my thoughts on zwift [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it but the big issue I have are folks who struggle to average faster than 21 mph on a flat Olympic race are crushing me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kkerns wrote:
Not only does Zwift have structured workouts, but also every Sufferfest workout. I'm just starting week 12 of their 12 week FTP Builder plan. Raised my FTP 40 points when I figured large gains in FTP weren't in the cards for me anymore.

How does Sufferfest work on Zwift? Kind of defeats the purpose of ProTour race video?
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBB1975 wrote:
I like it but the big issue I have are folks who struggle to average faster than 21 mph on a flat Olympic race are crushing me.

I don't trust estimated power figures, I used it on the Beta test and there were people doing 10w/kg for laps. Then i see people on Strava who have the KOMs and their outdoor riding is nowhere near as good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
I understand that you can do structured workouts on Zwift, I guess the animation just doesn't hold my interest enough to make the switch.

on that note I also have a PS4 that I have turned on 2 times in the last year, not much of a gamer i Guess

Same here. I think the concept has potential i.e combining gaming with genuine exercise, but it didn't really float my boat. The graphics and generally gameplay, as in how you and other riders moved, seemed outdated and clunky. Perhaps you could argue it's superfluous, but considering how much you're paying I would have expected something a bit more higher end.
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [vancity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vancity wrote:
You didnt mention events, which they're developing further as we speak

Hop on sunday morning 7:30am PST and do the ESS group ride.

Have to hold 3.5-4w/kg for an hour (4 laps watopia) -- a fantastic time, good people, good pacing.

When I do this event, i get so excited about what's coming in terms of organized planning, group rides, schedules, races, etc.

I don't use Zwift yet as I'm building base on TrainerRoad and like to watch TV during these workouts as it doesn't take much concentration to keep up the effort levels in Erg mode. Later on in training I'll be doing 1hr+ tempo rides and will try riding with a group in a Zwift race to motivate myself to keep pushing as I expect trying to hang onto the group will keep concentration levels up and pass the time quickly, whereas staring at a screen showing time to go could make the time really drag.
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

Same here. I think the concept has potential i.e combining gaming with genuine exercise, but it didn't really float my boat. The graphics and generally gameplay, as in how you and other riders moved, seemed outdated and clunky. Perhaps you could argue it's superfluous, but considering how much you're paying I would have expected something a bit more higher end.

I could make similar comments about Trainer Road being overpriced and underwhelming, and was quite shocked when I found out how much TR cost, but that's what it takes to keep this small niche market alive. Hopefully, the market grows and both companies continue to thrive.

Nanoo Nanoo
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [-W-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-W- wrote:
zedzded wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:

I could make similar comments about Trainer Road being overpriced and underwhelming, and was quite shocked when I found out how much TR cost, but that's what it takes to keep this small niche market alive. Hopefully, the market grows and both companies continue to thrive.

Yup good point. I might give Zwift another shot. Is it possible to have another trial using another email address or do they pick up your IP address and block multiple trials?
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [BBB1975] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I personally don't know anyone else on zwift so I cannot compare myself to anyone else. Since my name on zwift is J Johnson I doubt anyone here has recognized me either. The rider on the bike (and the bike itself) is much bigger than I am in real life so it's a little slower than on the real road. To me that's a minor issue.

I'll warm up for about 30 minutes and if there is anyone near me, we may wind up riding together for a bit. After that I'm doing some intervals I have programmed into my garmin, then cool down. If anyone happens to be riding my pace at any of those time then great, but most of the time I'm either passing people or being passed.

I just like the variation during the ride, the graphics keep me entertained while some of the comments are just downright funny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's funny that people can average 24mph in zwift, but their strava outdoor rides are never over 19mph. Live the fantasy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that is pretty much what I do as well.

At least the graphics keep me entertain while I am suffering; also, people need to understand that is just a GAME!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
v0coder wrote:
I think it's funny that people can average 24mph in zwift, but their strava outdoor rides are never over 19mph. Live the fantasy.
It doesn't matter. Are you gassed after you get off the bike? Did the time on the trainer fly by compared to "normal" trainer workouts? I'm having the best offseason workouts I gave ever had. That's all that matters. If you really care that your trainer workout match your real world rides, then run your Garmin alongside Zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
kkerns wrote:

How does Sufferfest work on Zwift? Kind of defeats the purpose of ProTour race video?
The game uses your FTP in conjunction with the Sufferfest profile. You are not watching a video of a pre-recorded race. You are getting the same workout, its just is within the game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where did you find the Sufferfest workouts? Did you have to import them? I don't see them in my list of workouts?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been with Trainer Road since Beta.. Used it all winter for a while now. However staying entertained has always been my problem. Staring at a graph on one screen and some video on the other isn't always enjoyable... at least for me. I like variety. With zwift I can do any workout I need to do.. I can just ride.. I can watch shows on another screen or jam out to music. So for me it's the added variety which wins. Plus the community is pretty cool. Doing a long ride with another person is fun.. much easier to maintain 2.5w/kg for X amount of time while someone else is gives ya motivation.. don't want to get dropped by them kind of thing. Trainer road is great though.. maybe I'll resub at some point. For now zwift is doing the job.
Quote Reply
Re: my thoughts on zwift [v0coder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comparing Zwift speeds to outdoor riding is whats funny.
Quote Reply

Prev Next