Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
As the awards started at 1 p.m. yesterday, there were still finishers coming in. I'm sitting there thinking, over 5 hours to do an Olympic? I know people have bad days, mechanicals, etc, but really? The reason they are adjusting these races is to accommodate the back of the pack. They have a huge gap in abilities at these races now with the growth of the sport. They need to do something with the cut off times and or some sort of qualification process for the longer distances. The guy racked next to me in transition was racing a triathlon for the first time and didn't even know how to rack his bike. He should not be allowed to sign up for a half IM as a first timer. As long as he pays his $275, nobody cares.

Yeah, WTC, owned by a private equity firm, needs to tighten cut-off times so that they can limit their customer base and potential future growth. Yup, that's likely. Sounds like smart business.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. Or they piss off all their loyal customers who boycott their races. They end up losing the stable customers who support them year in and year out and the business goes belly up. I know, not likely. All we can do is complain here on the forum or go race other events.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
bigred3 wrote:

As the awards started at 1 p.m. yesterday, there were still finishers coming in. I'm sitting there thinking, over 5 hours to do an Olympic? I know people have bad days, mechanicals, etc, but really? The reason they are adjusting these races is to accommodate the back of the pack. They have a huge gap in abilities at these races now with the growth of the sport. They need to do something with the cut off times and or some sort of qualification process for the longer distances. The guy racked next to me in transition was racing a triathlon for the first time and didn't even know how to rack his bike. He should not be allowed to sign up for a half IM as a first timer. As long as he pays his $275, nobody cares.

Yeah, WTC, owned by a private equity firm, needs to tighten cut-off times so that they can limit their customer base and potential future growth. Yup, that's likely. Sounds like smart business.

---

Actually of all the race series in the world WTC is the only one set up to reap the benefits of a qualification process.Don't forget that they have the 5150,70.3 and Ironman series so qualification for newbies would be an easy and profitable progression if they implemented it.

----
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
I'm no lawyer, but I don't get the comments that WTC is afraid of lawsuits. Kona, Vegas, Louisville, Cozumel, etc. All very hot races. We all sign waivers. I just don't get it. How can you sue when you sign your life away to race?

At the awards ceremony Greg Bennett made a remark that it was the right thing to do because nobody died. I think it is more of a PR issue that WTC doesn't want any bad press.

They had a 5 hour cut-off for an Olympic and allowed people to finish over 5 hours???? Is this a joke or am I going to be called elitist again? LOL

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for sounding self centered, but yes I am thinking about myself. I am a 40 year old school teacher who saved up money to go to this event for over a year. This would have been my first Ironman 70.3. I knew it was going to be hot 7-10 days before the race, and so did every other racer I talked to. The thing that irritates the crap out of me, is that they waited until, I had spent all my travel budget and also waited until I had gone into there Ironman store and spent money on products to commemorate the event. Then 14 hours before the start they drop this bombshell.

So now everything I came to do and all that I worked for is a lie. I can't wear any clothing that says Ironman Muncie 70.3 because it wasn't. I have to tell 100's of people back home that "Well I didn't actually do an 70.3 so it still doesn't count" (I was one of 600 first timers at the event.)

Bottom line is I spent 1500 dollars to go do an Ironman 70.3, and they ripped me off!!! All my money is gone and I can't afford to go to another Ironman in the foreseeable future. Not to mention all the sacrifices of time and effort I put in for training and time away from my family.

The lousy 125 dollars off of the registration fee for the next upcoming Ironman events in 2012 is a slap in the face. Virtaully no one is going to capitalize on this pathetic extension of an apology. I don't know what kind of financial situation you are in but many people I talked to at the event were like me. They have the chance to do this 1 or 2 times in there life. Now it's gone!!! But hey! at least Ironman corporate still got there payday!!!!

Go ahead and chalk up one more sport that is only going to cater to the financially wealthy.

If you are going to step up to do an Ironman you should know your body to know when to quit. That's what this level of sports involves. Move up the cutoff's do something but don't handle it like this. 95% of the athletes I talked to after the race stand with me on this position.

They got it WRONG!
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [RoubaixRider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone out there have contact info of who to lodge a formal complaint with? I personally want to send a letter or phone call to the folks in Florida who were responsible in making this decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good on you for standing up and being counted,I wish more people would start doing the same.

I honestly belive that WTC and some of the race directors who operate under them are starting to lose touch with the general triathlon public.That is a sad thing.

Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Jul 8, 12 8:40
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are exactly right. To all the pro's, and the folks who can afford to do one of two of these every year. This is "Just another race". To the masses of middle income Triathlon dreamers out there this was going to be our one shot at standing on the line at this level and making memories to last a lifetime. We are the general triathlon public. I would have rather walked across the finish line of a 70.3 that ran across the line of what they gave us.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doubleplay wrote:
bigred3 wrote:
I'm no lawyer, but I don't get the comments that WTC is afraid of lawsuits. Kona, Vegas, Louisville, Cozumel, etc. All very hot races. We all sign waivers. I just don't get it. How can you sue when you sign your life away to race?

At the awards ceremony Greg Bennett made a remark that it was the right thing to do because nobody died. I think it is more of a PR issue that WTC doesn't want any bad press.

They had a 5 hour cut-off for an Olympic and allowed people to finish over 5 hours???? Is this a joke or am I going to be called elitist again? LOL

As the sport grows, it's getting "wussified" for sure... I agree with both above.... Back of the pack dollars are the same as front of pack... USAT needs to be sure they are not compromising the integrity of the sport in exhange for the growth, it will only destroy the sport in the end, either race casulaties by inexperienced folks who should not be there to begin with or the watering down of things to accomodate those folks could kill this wonderful sport....

There should be more of a qual process for 70.3 or 140.6 - like at least doing 1 USAT sancitoned sprint or olympic tri... i dont think thats too much to ask... would most likley bring in more dollars in the end....
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [teacherman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teacherman wrote:
Sitting at the athlete briefing and that is the first thing they said.... I thought this was IRONMAN?

Blame Americans and their litigious society. That's why it was shortened. If anything happened to an athlete due to the conditions? Lawsuit.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [GoJohnnyGo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:

As the awards started at 1 p.m. yesterday, there were
still finishers coming in. I'm sitting there thinking, over 5 hours to do an Olympic? I know people have bad days, mechanicals, etc, but really? The reason they are adjusting these races is to accommodate the back of the pack. They have a huge gap in abilities at these races now with the growth of the sport. They need to do something with the cut off times and or some sort of qualification process for the longer distances. The guy racked next to me in transition was racing a triathlon for the first time and didn't even know how to rack his bike. He should not be allowed to sign up for a half IM as a first timer. As long as he pays his $275, nobody cares.

As the sport grows, it's getting "wussified" for sure... I agree with both above.... Back of the pack dollars are the same as front of pack... USAT needs to be sure they are not compromising the integrity of the sport in exhange for the growth, it will only destroy the sport in the end, either race casulaties by inexperienced folks who should not be there to begin with or the watering down of things to accomodate those folks could kill this wonderful sport....

There should be more of a qual process for 70.3 or 140.6 - like at least doing 1 USAT sancitoned sprint or olympic tri... i dont think thats too much to ask... would most likley bring in more dollars in the end....

RoubiaxRider Response:

I agree completely. I would go as far as 2-3 Olympic Tri's minimum for a 70.3. This Ironman stuff is, and should be serious business. Also I think the cutoff times are far to lenient. Anybody who needs that long shouldn't be able to wear the Ironman name. I once saw a 140.6 where a lady completed it in a walking boot. She walked the whole run, but still beat cut-off. That's not an Ironman!!!
Last edited by: RoubaixRider: Jul 8, 12 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoubaixRider wrote:
I once saw a 140.6 where a lady completed it in a walking boot. She walked the whole run, but still beat cut-off. That's not an Ironman!!!

Actually, assuming she also completed the swim and bike portions, she is most assuredly an Ironman. Just as much as you and Peter Reid.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Code:
I once saw a 140.6 where a lady completed it in a walking boot. She walked the whole run, but still beat cut-off. That's not an Ironman!!!

Khai Reply:

Actually, assuming she also completed the swim and bike portions, she is most assuredly an Ironman. Just as much as you and Peter Reid.

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?

Sorry to correct you, but I'm not an Ironman. I was denied the opportunity, Remember? The whole point of this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoubaixRider wrote:
Code:

Khai Reply:

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?

Sorry to correct you, but I'm not an Ironman. I was denied the opportunity, Remember? The whole point of this thread.

------

Hey ,Roubaix I do sympathise with you for shitty weekend but even if you had started and finished the race that you were supposed to do,you wouldn't have been an Ironman.....You would have finished a half Ironman.

---
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [teacherman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you paid for a half ironman and they shorten the event, is an option to dispute your charge on your credit card for a full refund? You signed up for event A and you did not get it. Is there an agreement where you waive this right? Is it also an option to take a small claims action for the cost of travel, hotel, etc? Not a lawyer and not a Muncie participant, but it got me thinking. I am going to do the REV3 in the Wisconsin Dells in August, and I will be ready for any WI summer weather - 100 degrees included.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, but you know the point I am getting at.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Code:
nickwisconson wrote:

If you paid for a half ironman and they shorten the event, is an option to dispute your charge on your credit card for a full refund? You signed up for event
A and you did not get it. Is there an agreement where you waive this right? Is it also an option to take a small claims action for the cost of travel, hotel, etc?
Not a lawyer and not a Muncie participant, but it got me thinking. I am going to do the REV3 in the Wisconsin Dells in August,
and I will be ready for any WI summer weather - 100 degrees included.

roubaixrider reply:

I am sure you could try something legal, but big man versus little man in that realm has never had a pretty outcome for the little man, historically.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
I'm sitting in my $49/night room in Muncie thinking about this decision.

I was looking forward to the heat as an extra way to challenge myself. I cheaped out in every way on this race. 2 night@ $49 plus fees. Super early registration for $199. Afew tanks of gas for $200+. A meal out with friends. All in all I still paid $600 to get FUCKED!

Local races from now on.

Wow I don't know the going rate but I would $600 for a fuck is a pretty high end hooker.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RoubaixRider wrote:

Right. As Nick pointed out, you were denied the opportunity to be a half ironman. I'm sorry about that. So I guess walking cast lady is doubly up on you then?

Get Fitter!
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Power13 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
davearm wrote:
radelj44 wrote:
link5485 wrote:
Should they have offered races that already sold out? Most of them are crowded enough as it is.

1) I think the credit is bogus... they should offer refunds to those who don't want to do an Olympic
2) If they are going to do the credit; it should apply to ALL WTC EVENTS (excluding Kona and Vegas obviously).
3) To the people who think they are doing the best they can... FUCK THAT. I can come up with 100 different options for the athletes who don't want to compete but WTC is not going to even darken that door because they fear of losing money... which they wouldn't.

I find it curious that you think WTC should offer refunds to everyone that wants one, but somehow don't expect they would lose money by doing so.

It's not like WTC's expenses on this race are going to decrease because the length is shortened. The t-shirts, gatorade, timing chips, expo hall, etc etc are already paid for.

+1

So WTC gets their money no matter what and only the athletes assume the financial risk?

Yep, that is the contract you signed when you signed up for the race. Just like most airline tickets are or others things you buy with a no return policy. I have been an RD. I know the money is basically all spent if the race happens or not. Sorry, this is just a hobby. If you want to start your own HTFU race series, and think you can stay in business after the first lawsuit against you, then go for it. If you think you can do a race and not have all the money spent before the race starts, and if something happens give back all your savings in the bank since who cares about profit, etc, then again, go for it. So many in this sport have NO idea how the business works. If there is no profit, there are no races.

I guess I should have forced the ITU to give me all my money back from the Canada Worlds when they had go make my race a duathlon rather than a triathon. I guess I should have forced the ITU to give all my money
back from the Gold Coast worlds since they stopped the race on a number of my family members for no reason and they were not allowed to finish. The amount of money I spent to take my family to that race and not even get their names in the results makes these complaints, well, ....

Dave the problem with your comments is WTC is a FOR PROFIT company, so they MADE MONEY off this shortened event. They are basically running a business with little to no risk. THEY GET PAID NO MATTER WHAT. I bet if you rented a hotel for a week and it burned down, you would get your money back. Or if they lost AC they would give you money back or FREE nights stay's. Hell if an Airline can only get you half way to your destination, they will put you in a hotel room and get you the rest of the distance without charging you. Sorry but your comparisons don't fly. And no one should feel sorry for a FOR PROFIT company that might lose some money on an event occasionally, its called risk and most businesses have it.

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [SpeedRacer1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedRacer1 wrote:
You know I have zero issues with you.....SO, with that being said....

Regardless of your opinions, WTC has to protect themselves as a business. They can and WOULD be sued and held liable for negligence if someone suffered a serious injury or worse, happened to die during the race.
It's easy for you to sit there and rant and rave, BUT if you owned a company and had to make the exact same decision as whether or not to protect your company AND the athletes, you'd do the exact same thing WTC did yesterday for Muncie's race. If you didn't, I would question you if I were a board member. I don't care HOW well prepared you are. Anyone could have a serious heat issue. Just watch some of the Kona meltdowns. By choosing a race between June-August, you take a chance of this happening. Everyone hopes to be able to race 140.6 or 70.3 when that's what they signed up for, but if WTC (or any other organizer) has to make a decision to protect themselves, WE can't blame them. Someone WOULD sue and WOULD win 9/10 times.

If they really have this liability issue, and the temp and condition rules vary by location. Why not put something out ahead of time. We know what the wetsuit temperature is, why not put in place documented policies. Ie race will be shortened to oly if heat index is projected to be over 100 by noon, swim cancelled if water temp exceeds 93.244 degrees. what ever, at least let people know ahead of time. As said other races are run in this same or worst temperatures, so still not sure the risk is as large as some think.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quel wrote:
I don't know you or have anything against you personally. I just want to know how to prepare for 90 water and 100 air temperature in a 70.3. Outside of moving to Australia for 20 years, of course. And WTC or any other race director cannot put on a race in such conditions. Not because they are trying to wussify the sport, but because it is dangerous and medical personnell can't keep up.

Not the OP but the last HIM I did was forecast for 42-45 (107.6 to 113F) and the race was prepared as this: They had aid stations every 1.3 km on a 2 loop course. They had the fire department with trucks at one end and a misting tent at the other. At each run aid station there was ice water that the volunteers would dump on you if you wanted. There was ice at every aid station. The bike had bottles 1-1.5 L ICE COLD water and aid stations every 9 km. There were, however, no gels at all, but oranges, pretzels, bananas and spectators giving away other stuff. As to your 2nd point, obviously, you're wrong.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Last edited by: kathy_caribe: Jul 8, 12 11:36
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [bsmak24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bsmak24 wrote:
Did they offer athletes the ability to defer their entry until next year's event, ala the Boston Marathon this year?

No way that would be to realistic. Say hey folks its going to be absolutly dangerous out there. Dont do it, we will give you free enter into next year if you don't go now.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a little perspective:

I was reading the newpaper this morning. There have been 61 reported heat-related deaths during this heat wave. Just this weekend within 50 miles of Muncie, a toddler died after being left in a car by her dad and a young child was taken to the hospital after suffering seizures (also left in the car by a parent).
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some reckless parent who is stupid enough to do such a horrific thing to his kid has no comparison to a group of highly trained athletes who willfully place themselves in this environment.
Quote Reply

Prev Next