Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Power13 wrote:
I'm not bitching about anything....and in general, I agree with WTC's decision re: Muncie. I am simply saying, that from a PR and customer relations standpoint, it is to WTC's benefit to offer a credit of some kind.

I don't agree that the athlete should bear the financial burden of WTC's decisions, regardless of waivers, etc. Is WTC obligated to offer a credit? Of course not....but, again, from a PR / customer service POV, they would be foolish not to.

Just show me one race that WTC does not fill up because of their existing policies! So, you might think they have a PR issue, but the results speak louder than any of our opinions.

So easy if you do not like what a business has to sell, just do not buy it. Why does this seem so hard for so many to understand? Do you buy food, or a car, or a house you do not like the terms on?
Oh I forgot, we now have folks bitching that their house is underwater and that is not fair and they want the rest of the country to pay for their contract they signed. Sorry, I just forget how we have become
such an entitlement society. (But do these same folks give up their profits to the country when they are on the plus side?)

Aah...we have reached the point of outrageous examples that have no bearing on this discussion.

Well played.

Funny, I don't remember talking about "entitlement societies" or anything of the sort. Wait....hang on....let me check something.....nope, I specifically said that I agree with WTC's decision re: Muncie.

Funny 'dat.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [ian moone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ian moone wrote:
"40% of the field was walking after mile 4"
apparently those people were not even ready for a Olympic, that's sad. if you trained for a hot Half you should be have no issues with an Olympic, no matter what the condition are,

this is slow twitch exaggeration. I averaged 9m30s miles and that put me at about 800th out of ~1200 males.

It was some good running out there. anything below 10min/miles in that kind of heat is NOT walking. and that was most of the field doing that pace or faster.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
ad thing is it became a bucket list for a lot of people and WTC is profiting from that and If they run out of participants they might move the cut-off time to 20 hours.

Oh, and what are YOUR times? Elitest Jerk.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [cyclops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Started the run with no gels and finished with twelve!

Quote | Reply
Record10Carbon wrote:

Quote:
ad thing is it became a bucket list for a lot of people and WTC is profiting from that and If they run out of participants they might move the cut-off time to 20 hours.

Oh, and what are YOUR times? Elitest Jerk.

[/quote

Did I yank your chain or did you forget to take your medicine? I've been on this site long enough not to take comments from you seriously. My times are 17:59:59 so I'm an IRONMAN. LOL

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was just that had I not known better - I would think that I wrote your post. I have been leaving this thread alone - I think we all know where I stand on the race, it only being a half and for people to be prepared. You are correct in the fact that they are starting to cater to the tail end, forgetting that by and large, an organism leads with its brains....

Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stindiana wrote:
2012: 1800 athletes and 1200 volunteers equals maybe 600-800 medicals. It just is not possible to take care of that many people. Period. The water yesterday was over 90d. USA Swimming will not allow an OWS event over 85!

So why didn't you cancel the SWIM. I wasn't sure if a cut off existed, but 85 F seems about right. You just can't swim (particularly a whole mile) in hot water. Human beings aren't designed for that.

I just got home and started reading through this, and it seems others had a similar experience to me (the swim being utterly ridiculous). I was completely finished at the end of the swim. If you looked at my performance you might guess I over-biked (1:15 bike and 1:05 run)--but what if I told you I rode at 72% of my FTP? I simply couldn't go any harder I was so overheated after that swim. And once I got to the run I just kept slowing down but it was more of the same--just couldn't cool off. Ended up alternating running around 7 min/mile (because I still had plenty of energy) and walking (to cool down).

And moving the start earlier did nothing. I would have preferred racing in the afternoon when all the sweating would have done me some good (lower humidity).

Not real happy about this.

Oh yeah!
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I apologize for offending your delicate sensibilities. Let's move on and get constructive: how did you prepare for a historic heat wave with 90 degree water and 100 degree air at your last 70.3?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by cyclops [ In reply to ]
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Travis R wrote:
ktj wrote:
I just raced at muncie and all I have to say is it was a beautiful day and it wasn't as hot as the forecast said.

Seriously though, the hottest part of the race was the swim. It was 88 deg and at the time it was probably hotter then the air temp. The bike and run were fine.

A lot of people were hammering the bike though. It was a very fast pace and it looked like a lot of people payed the price in the run.

X2! The bike pace was nuts (and I'm as guilty as any - I hammered hard), and the shortened course made it pretty hairy on my first loop - since the 40-45 folks went earlier, the 35-39 folks were starting their first lap as the 40-45 folks were on their second. That was pretty uncomfortable. I talked to or saw 4 people who were all pretty banged up due to bike crashes. There were a lot of people hanging out on the left, and it was hard to pass at times.

The run wasn't bad at all - after getting over some cramps from hammering too hard on the bike, I was able to plod along at a not too terribly awful pace (for me). I think the early start time and shorter swim/bike certainly helped. I really liked having aid stations every half mile!
Me too although some of them felt like they were a mile apart.

Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [duffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duffman wrote:
Stindiana wrote:

2012: 1800 athletes and 1200 volunteers equals maybe 600-800 medicals. It just is not possible to take care of that many people. Period. The water yesterday was over 90d. USA Swimming will not allow an OWS event over 85!

So why didn't you cancel the SWIM. I wasn't sure if a cut off existed, but 85 F seems about right. You just can't swim (particularly a whole mile) in hot water. Human beings aren't designed for that.

I just got home and started reading through this, and it seems others had a similar experience to me (the swim being utterly ridiculous). I was completely finished at the end of the swim. If you looked at my performance you might guess I over-biked (1:15 bike and 1:05 run)--but what if I told you I rode at 72% of my FTP? I simply couldn't go any harder I was so overheated after that swim. And once I got to the run I just kept slowing down but it was more of the same--just couldn't cool off. Ended up alternating running around 7 min/mile (because I still had plenty of energy) and walking (to cool down).

And moving the start earlier did nothing. I would have preferred racing in the afternoon when all the sweating would have done me some good (lower humidity).

Not real happy about this.
I like the earlier star time. There isn't much wind when you get on the bike.

I agree about the swim being ridiculously hot. But once I got on the bike I was cooled off. The run IMO was the coolest (temp wise) part of the race. I just stuffed my self with ice and sponges.

Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
ktj wrote:
I just raced at muncie and all I have to say is it was a beautiful day and it wasn't as hot as the forecast said.

Part snarky, part serious...

Did they hand out finisher's merchandise (medals, shirts, etc)?

If so, details? Was it IM 70.3 branded stuff?
I think it was but honestly I haven't even looked at the medal or hat yet. I just threw the medal in my bag and used the hat as a sweat rag. The hat kinda looks like the same one from last year but I haven't really looked at it yet.

The shirt says 70.3.

Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quel wrote:
Well I apologize for offending your delicate sensibilities. Let's move on and get constructive: how did you prepare for a historic heat wave with 90 degree water and 100 degree air at your last 70.3?

---

I lived in Cairns,Australia for over 20 years........That's how.

---
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Jul 7, 12 19:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Iron in Ironman means about as much as the Star in Starbucks...

LOL. Thank god I didnt get that tattoo......

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Quel wrote:

---

---

Very constructive. Thanks for the contribution.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the first guy. You can't wear the shirt. If you enter a race for more that the shirt isn't it to say you completed the course? That's what makes the shirt something to be proud of isn't it? Otherwise, why register? Just do the same distance on any Saturday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I once did an IM in this heat.....did I miss out on the opportunity to sue?

Mean Temperature
74.3 °F
Maximum Temperature
87.1 °F

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quel wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
Quel wrote:

---

---

Very constructive. Thanks for the contribution.
-----

So it seems that you have a little hate on for me,that is fine..What exactly do you want,20 years worth of Ironman training programs?...Living in and training in a tropical area full time is enough to prepare me for any hot race anywhere and it gave me more than enough experience to be able to comment on what can be tolerated in the heat...but this not about my triathlon training (even though you are now going to try and make it so) it is about my observations of the training attitudes of age group triathletes over the last 26 years..and in my opinion a great many of them are not reaching their potential.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know you or have anything against you personally. I just want to know how to prepare for 90 water and 100 air temperature in a 70.3. Outside of moving to Australia for 20 years, of course.

Im glad you are prepared for that, but in the USA its one of the worst heat waves in the last decade at least. I believe my area gets the same weather as Muncie and we are breaking heat wave records by multiple days.

Your insuitiation that people can't put up with this stuff only because they didn't prepare well is,again, bullshit. Its dangerous, even for the best prepared people. And WTC or any other race director cannot put on a race in such conditions. Not because they are trying to wussify the sport, but because it is dangerous and medical personnell can't keep up.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [IronHoosier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well safety first..I get that!

I don't get it to be honest and think it has nothing to do with safety and everything to do with protecting themselves from lawsuits and using safety as a scapegoat. I gather that the waivers you sign before racing accepting risks are completely meaningless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all this was not an Ironman, it was a 70.3 (half ironman)

So Ironman Muncie is now an Olympic triathlon...It reminds me of a friend who said she ran a marathon. It was called a marathon but was really only a half but at least they didn't wimp out and run a 10k.

Triathlon is going to become the new 10K Charity Fun Runs where everyone is a winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also this has nothing to do with the wussification of triathlon etc...

Yes it does.

This decision is for the safety of the athletes who race the distance

If the organizers of longer distance triathlons were really concerned about racer's safety, they would require qualifying races. If you finish an Olympic race within a certain time and within a certain number of days to the longer race, then you can race the half. Ditto for using a half-ironman to race a full Ironman.

In this case, they were concerned about lawsuits.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FJB wrote:
Also this has nothing to do with the wussification of triathlon etc...

Yes it does.

This decision is for the safety of the athletes who race the distance

If the organizers of longer distance triathlons were really concerned about racer's safety, they would require qualifying races. If you finish an Olympic race within a certain time and within a certain number of days to the longer race, then you can race the half. Ditto for using a half-ironman to race a full Ironman.

In this case, they were concerned about lawsuits.

Actually, I think if the organizers were really concerned about safety RE: heat, then they wouldn't be scheduling races like Muncie in mid July. There is a very high risk of it getting hot.

Here's what gets me about this whole thing: Triathlon is a hot sport. Our races are in the summer. The World Champs is in Hawaii for the full and Las Vegas for the Half. There are countless others that have a high potential for super hot conditions. Nobody expects pleasant, cool temps at these races. It's almost a tradition for tri to be hot. Why is the heat an issue now?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no lawyer, but I don't get the comments that WTC is afraid of lawsuits. Kona, Vegas, Louisville, Cozumel, etc. All very hot races. We all sign waivers. I just don't get it. How can you sue when you sign your life away to race?

At the awards ceremony Greg Bennett made a remark that it was the right thing to do because nobody died. I think it is more of a PR issue that WTC doesn't want any bad press.

As the awards started at 1 p.m. yesterday, there were still finishers coming in. I'm sitting there thinking, over 5 hours to do an Olympic? I know people have bad days, mechanicals, etc, but really? The reason they are adjusting these races is to accommodate the back of the pack. They have a huge gap in abilities at these races now with the growth of the sport. They need to do something with the cut off times and or some sort of qualification process for the longer distances. The guy racked next to me in transition was racing a triathlon for the first time and didn't even know how to rack his bike. He should not be allowed to sign up for a half IM as a first timer. As long as he pays his $275, nobody cares.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigred3 wrote:
I think it is more of a PR issue that WTC doesn't want any bad press.

If that is the case then they will never shorten the race again. If you look at the muncie Facebook page its filled with a lot of pissed off people complaining about having trained in the heat all summer and driving all the way there to find out its an olympic.

I just took a look and they deleted all of them.

Last edited by: ktj: Jul 8, 12 7:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next