Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Stindiana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was one of the people who thought this was a bad decision and even talked some trash on the WTC Facebook page. But after going for a 65 mile ride a few hours west of Muncie at 5:30am, I could not imagine staying outside any longer, let alone if I were in the last wave.

Think WTC made the right call here, but everyone else is right that the discount policy is BS. Hopefully the rash of cancelled/modified events this year will lead to some changes.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [davetopia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just raced at muncie and all I have to say is it was a beautiful day and it wasn't as hot as the forecast said.

Seriously though, the hottest part of the race was the swim. It was 88 deg and at the time it was probably hotter then the air temp. The bike and run were fine.

A lot of people were hammering the bike though. It was a very fast pace and it looked like a lot of people payed the price in the run.

Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [ktj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktj wrote:
I just raced at muncie and all I have to say is it was a beautiful day and it wasn't as hot as the forecast said.

Seriously though, the hottest part of the race was the swim. It was 88 deg and at the time it was probably hotter then the air temp. The bike and run were fine.

A lot of people were hammering the bike though. It was a very fast pace and it looked like a lot of people payed the price in the run.

----

Now who could have seen that coming...;-)

Glad you didn't perish out there in those trying conditions..you sir are a 1/4 Ironman!!

----
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
ktj wrote:

----

Glad you didn't perish out there in those trying conditions..you sir are a 1/4 Ironman!!

----

Do you rub salt into peoples' wounds whenever you get the chance as well?
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
ktj wrote:

----

----

Do you rub salt into peoples' wounds whenever you get the chance as well?

---

Hey,it sounds like he had a fun day.......Just hope he didn't get a sprint t-shirt to match the swim cap they gave him.

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktj wrote:

Part snarky, part serious...

Did they hand out finisher's merchandise (medals, shirts, etc)?

If so, details? Was it IM 70.3 branded stuff?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
ktj wrote:

WTF would it matter man, it's just another race. I don't get why people are so caught up with the branding and the naming of races. Why can't people just be satisfied with their performances and the races that they do and quietly reflect and be happy with their results. What does it matter if it was an IM, or 70.3 or an olympic or a sprint. I feel like 90% of the people on this website care more about what the brand of the race they're doing is or its outside perception than how they actually perform. I agree it's a shit deal if these people signed up for a 70.3 and ran a shorter race, and yes they should get a refund but honestly what the hell difference does a t-shirt, or a visor make?

Sad.

http://www.facebook.com/ReconFoundationTeam
http://www.facebook.com/MarineReconFoundation
http://www.reconfoundation.org
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [TriMarine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah. I think you misunderstood my question: I'm mostly curious how they handled the merchandise aspect of the event. Some people are really proud of that stuff. It symbolizes an accomplishment. I'm not knocking them, not even remotely.

Look, they (WTC/ RD) already spent money on all of that stuff. Medals. Hats. Shirts. Etc. It's decorated and is branded. That's what they do. When they change the race, what happens to the stuff? Did they still hand it out?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [TriMarine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriMarine wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
ktj wrote:

WTF would it matter man, it's just another race. I don't get why people are so caught up with the branding and the naming of races. Why can't people just be satisfied with their performances and the races that they do and quietly reflect and be happy with their results. What does it matter if it was an IM, or 70.3 or an olympic or a sprint. I feel like 90% of the people on this website care more about what the brand of the race they're doing is or its outside perception than how they actually perform. I agree it's a shit deal if these people signed up for a 70.3 and ran a shorter race, and yes they should get a refund but honestly what the hell difference does a t-shirt, or a visor make?

Sad.

------

Actually,the main reason I am constantly winding people up and giving WTC shit is that I see so many people making such a big deal about a sport that is nowhere near as hard as it is made out to be.Now people here think that I'm doing that to put people down but it is quite the opposite, I am actually trying to make people realise that most folks are capable of achieving much more than they think they can.I speak to a hell of a lot of beginners and am constantly amazed how they have defeated themselves from the very start because they are lead to believe that some of these events are beyond them when clearly they are not....

I also believe that so many people are under achieving in the sport because they are afraid to push themselves as hard as they can and face up to difficult conditions.Having WTC cancelling legs or shortening races at an ever increasing rate only sends the wrong message to many newbies that there is no need to prepare for every eventuality because if shit goes wrong they won't have to face it...

I am sure I will get slammed for saying all of that but folks,instead of jumping down my throat because you think this doesn't apply to you just stop for a minute and wonder if maybe I'm am not completely wrong....I have tried,over the years to seriously approach people here about this but was shouted down so now I just make light of the whole situation and take the piss out of WTC because quite frankly I think it has become a joke.

----
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Nah. I think you misunderstood my question: I'm mostly curious how they handled the merchandise aspect of the event. Some people are really proud of that stuff. It symbolizes an accomplishment. I'm not knocking them, not even remotely.

Look, they (WTC/ RD) already spent money on all of that stuff. Medals. Hats. Shirts. Etc. It's decorated and is branded. That's what they do. When they change the race, what happens to the stuff? Did they still hand it out?

Yes, Muncie 70.3 "branded" hats and medals were handed out at the finish line today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You know I have zero issues with you.....SO, with that being said....

Regardless of your opinions, WTC has to protect themselves as a business. They can and WOULD be sued and held liable for negligence if someone suffered a serious injury or worse, happened to die during the race.
It's easy for you to sit there and rant and rave, BUT if you owned a company and had to make the exact same decision as whether or not to protect your company AND the athletes, you'd do the exact same thing WTC did yesterday for Muncie's race. If you didn't, I would question you if I were a board member. I don't care HOW well prepared you are. Anyone could have a serious heat issue. Just watch some of the Kona meltdowns. By choosing a race between June-August, you take a chance of this happening. Everyone hopes to be able to race 140.6 or 70.3 when that's what they signed up for, but if WTC (or any other organizer) has to make a decision to protect themselves, WE can't blame them. Someone WOULD sue and WOULD win 9/10 times.
Last edited by: SpeedRacer1: Jul 7, 12 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The water was very uncomfortable. Making it worse, the early start time put the sun right over the exit for the later waves. I couldn't see anything on the last third of the course. I needed a cold shower just from that hot disgusting lake.

Had no issues on the bike but the temp definitely turned up by the run. I was in the last wave of individuals which made our start a bit over an hour after the pros.

Almost everyone suffered on the run. I ended up 9 minutes slower over 10k on the same exact run course in may. There were walkers from mile 1. I would say by mile 4, 40% of the field was walking. The Muncie run course is no joke, it's a hard run in good conditions. Non stop rollers in the sun, no shade.

I agree with the decision, the integrity of the race remained. With those conditions, a 70.3 would have been a survival contest, hardly a race.

When I got to my car about a half hour after finishing, the temp was 101. My only complaint concerns the 4 races chosen for discounts. Giving us only races occurring in the next three months is unreasonable. They should understand that we already have commitments and dropping those for a last minute race is difficult to impossible. Hopefully they will reconsider the options given.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
TriMarine wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
ktj wrote:

Sad.

------

Actually,the main reason I am constantly winding people up and giving WTC shit is that I see so many people making such a big deal about a sport that is nowhere near as hard as it is made out to be.Now people here think that I'm doing that to put people down but it is quite the opposite, I am actually trying to make people realise that most folks are capable of achieving much more than they think they can.I speak to a hell of a lot of beginners and am constantly amazed how they have defeated themselves from the very start because they are lead to believe that some of these events are beyond them when clearly they are not....

I also believe that so many people are under achieving in the sport because they are afraid to push themselves as hard as they can and face up to difficult conditions.Having WTC cancelling legs or shortening races at an ever increasing rate only sends the wrong message to many newbies that there is no need to prepare for every eventuality because if shit goes wrong they won't have to face it...

I am sure I will get slammed for saying all of that but folks,instead of jumping down my throat because you think this doesn't apply to you just stop for a minute and wonder if maybe I'm am not completely wrong....I have tried,over the years to seriously approach people here about this but was shouted down so now I just make light of the whole situation and take the piss out of WTC because quite frankly I think it has become a joke.

----

I agree with you wholeheartedly that finishing (not racing) any distance triathlon event is nowhere as hard as some people and industry makes it look like. Basically the whole thing is commercialized and if you have the money you can be called an ironman with couple months of training. Sad thing is it became a bucket list for a lot of people and WTC is profiting from that and If they run out of participants they might move the cut-off time to 20 hours.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ktj wrote:

X2! The bike pace was nuts (and I'm as guilty as any - I hammered hard), and the shortened course made it pretty hairy on my first loop - since the 40-45 folks went earlier, the 35-39 folks were starting their first lap as the 40-45 folks were on their second. That was pretty uncomfortable. I talked to or saw 4 people who were all pretty banged up due to bike crashes. There were a lot of people hanging out on the left, and it was hard to pass at times.

The run wasn't bad at all - after getting over some cramps from hammering too hard on the bike, I was able to plod along at a not too terribly awful pace (for me). I think the early start time and shorter swim/bike certainly helped. I really liked having aid stations every half mile!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:
This x 1000
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI the race was today. Not tomorrow. It's 102degF. Not heat index. Measured. Heat index is almost 114. Tomorrow the temp is dropping. Either you checked the wrong day or you need to find a better weather website.

Kirk Noyes

Downtubes are for Dinosaurs

Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [MarkJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkJB wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:

This x 1000

What a bunch of bullshit. We aren't talking "tough conditions". We are talking conditions that can harm enough people that their medical staff gets completely overwhelmed.

Have we already forgotten Fran Crippen? You think he was some sissy that just wasn't prepared to man up like you are? Give me a break. Some of you have the most absurd definition of what it means to be "tough".
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Quel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to improve your reading comprehension skills. Significantly.

My agreement with, and I am certain UTG's point, was generic not specific. Neither of us even mentioned Muncie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkJB wrote:

My agreement with, and I am certain UTG's point, was generic not specific. Neither of us even mentioned Muncie.

I didn't mention Muncie either, so maybe we are even on reading ccomprehension:).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did they offer athletes the ability to defer their entry until next year's event, ala the Boston Marathon this year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkJB wrote:

You don't need to. You are posting in the Muncie thread. This is a sport and I hope the reason people participate and train is to be healthy and have fun. This is not a survival contest or a UFC fight. The whole race should have been cancelled, I don't care what distance it is, it does not make any sense to swim in 90 degree water let alone trying to run in 100 degree temperatures on a though course.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quel wrote:
MarkJB wrote:
Ultra-tri-guy wrote:

This x 1000

What a bunch of bullshit. We aren't talking "tough conditions". We are talking conditions that can harm enough people that their medical staff gets completely overwhelmed.

Have we already forgotten Fran Crippen? You think he was some sissy that just wasn't prepared to man up like you are? Give me a break. Some of you have the most absurd definition of what it means to be "tough".

--

Firstly please show me where I said anything about being "tough" as I didn't say that, I said being prepared for difficult conditions.I love it when people make up shit just to argue a point..Instead of going off on a rant perhaps you should take what someone says and realise that they are allowed to have an opinion that is different from yours and that if you actually engaged in a discussion something positive might actually come of it..but this is Slowtwitch and that doesn't happen often these days.

Secondly,can you please send me a link that shows the actual cause of Fran Crippens death,I have read that the is no definite cause.You are not the first to bring his name up into a topic that does not involve him but it seems some people won't let it go.I too know someone who died during a vey hot Ultra event and he was as fit as they come,things like that just happen.

---
Last edited by: Ultra-tri-guy: Jul 7, 12 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [ziggie204] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"40% of the field was walking after mile 4"
apparently those people were not even ready for a Olympic, that's sad. if you trained for a hot Half you should be have no issues with an Olympic, no matter what the condition are,
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [teacherman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced in the last wave today and was as unhappy as anyone upon finding out the race was downsized. The way they handled the vouchers was a complete joke. I plan on writing a rational email to WTC letting them know that it is not a good solution. Am I going to boycott future Ironman races, am I swearing off Muncie forever ? Probably not. The Endurathon was a great event and other than some new signage and those pesky WTC lawyers, the rest of the staff and community that hosts this race are top notch.

I think the worst part of the course was likely the swim. This is my strongest leg and I almost pulled my cap off after the first few minutes because I was getting so uncomfortable and a little bit queasy. Bike course was a breeze. You could tell it was heating up, but the distance was no problem with the earlier start time. The run was carnage. How many people walk an Olympic 10K at mile 1?! A lot, including myself. The Muncie run is challenging on a good day with how hilly and sunny it is. I negative split by about 1.5 minutes but it took me nearly the first three miles to my core temperature down ... (Pro Tip: ice and sponges down pants.)

I am disappointed in the late notice and disappointed by the worthless voucher, but stuff happens and we live to fight another day. My 'everyone has a hot race/training story' is IMKY 2008 when it was 93 with 78% humidity. That run course was carnage as well.

PS ... I will be interested to see the % DNFs. A low percentage could be construed as good call by race officials I guess. Being one of the last waves though, I didnt notice anyone in medical distress. A lot of tired faces, but nobody ready to keel over.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [nugent44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
if you're angry you should have just run off with a box of gels from an aid station. there's about ~$100 worth of gels per box and it could count as a partial refund. lol.
Quote Reply

Prev Next