Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There must have been an overstock of IronMan 32.1 bumper stickers they needed to unload...
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [teacherman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
teacherman wrote:
Sitting at the athlete briefing and that is the first thing they said.... I thought this was IRONMAN?

First of all this was not an Ironman, it was a 70.3 (half ironman) and there's a huge difference. I can totally understand the frustration of the participants but I also would like to hear the comments after racing the shortened distance in 100 degree heat. You might be glad they shortened it.
Also this has nothing to do with the wussification of triathlon etc...If you think finishing a half iron distance race in 9 hours cut off time is hard you must be either over a certain age or do not have any clue about training. Wake up it was already watered down. This decision is for the safety of the athletes who race the distance not merely trying to finish it. I don't like the WTC and the way they commercialized the whole iron distance racing but IMHO this is the right decision specially for the safety of the people who have no clue about how heat affects their body and how unhealthy it can be. However because of the shortened distance they should offer refunds to people who does not want to race.

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
tgarson wrote:
BCDon wrote:
WTF, another example of pandering to the lowest common denominator?

Although I feel sort of bad in saying it, I think that is really what is going on here. I would strongly suspect that the race is not being shortened to account for the safety of those who are actually prepared for the race, but rather for the 8 hour finisher crowd that are probably already taxing their abilities as it is. With conditions such as this, I could definitely see a safety risk for the BOP.

However, the solution for this should be enforcement of cutoffs, not shortening the entire race to an Oly so that no one gets their precious feelings hurt.

FYI, this Sunday there is a 1/2 in Oliver, BC, Canada. The bike course is one of the tougher ones around, it is part of the IMC course, up Richters, over most of the bitches and then back, up the rear, steeper side of Richters. The run is relatively flat though. Projected temperature, without humidity is 37C, 98.6F while Muncie is projecting 27C, 81F. BUT, add in humidity (or I guess in weather speak, "feels like"), and Oliver is 40C, 104F while Muncie is 39C, 102F. Add to that some area of Canada haven't seen temperatures above the 70s this year so for people training in those areas it'll be a hot one.

Anyway, Oliver will be hotter regardless of how you measure it and they've never cut the distance that I know of. Muncie is "cooler" (well, not really that much difference) but they cut the distance.

Good luck to all in each of the races and stay hydrated!

You must be looking at Sundays weather?? Muncie is not supposed to be 81 tmrw...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://ironmanmuncie.com/...-Alert-Statement.pdf

link to official statement:

Quote:
We would also like to extend a $125 discount to each IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie athlete for one of
the following races:
o IRONMAN 70.3 Steelhead – Aug. 19, 2012
o IRONMAN 70.3 Timberman – Aug. 19, 2012
o IRONMAN 70.3 Branson – Sept. 23, 2012
o IRONMAN 70.3 Austin – Oct. 28, 2012

Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robin, run wrote:

We would also like to extend a $125 discount to each IRONMAN 70.3 Muncie athlete for one of
the following races:

Love how they pick all the races that don't sell out.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [TriWithT1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have a new post up now. Pointing out that it's going to be hot. ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [robin, run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
robin, run wrote:
http://ironmanmuncie.com/...-Alert-Statement.pdf

link to official statement:

Quote:

the following races:

Sweet! I'd love to send WTC more money!
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [teacherman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If kona gets too hot this year then they'll have to drop it down to a half ironman distance but race for the full Ironman World Champion ship title!! Cool......

I just hope they don't get surprised by the weather and then mid race decide to change the distance from full to half ironman distances as I think a few athletes might be pissed!!! GO WTC..........

"I swim because that's how I get to ride my bike."

Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Muncie have enough ER's to handle all of the heat exhaustion cases, not just at the race, but in the city as well? They made the right call.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [radelj44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Should they have offered races that already sold out? Most of them are crowded enough as it is.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [Dopers.Suck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dopers.Suck wrote:
If kona gets too hot this year then they'll have to drop it down to a half ironman distance but race for the full Ironman World Champion ship title!! Cool......

I just hope they don't get surprised by the weather and then mid race decide to change the distance from full to half ironman distances as I think a few athletes might be pissed!!! GO WTC..........

Do you guys have any idea how hot Kona gets in October and how hot it'll be in Muncie and difference in between? On a side note are you comparing the qualified athletes in Kona to participants in Muncie???

--------------------------------------------------------
I see obsessed people.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link5485 wrote:
Should they have offered races that already sold out? Most of them are crowded enough as it is.

1) I think the credit is bogus... they should offer refunds to those who don't want to do an Olympic
2) If they are going to do the credit; it should apply to ALL WTC EVENTS (excluding Kona and Vegas obviously).
3) To the people who think they are doing the best they can... FUCK THAT. I can come up with 100 different options for the athletes who don't want to compete but WTC is not going to even darken that door because they fear of losing money... which they wouldn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sitting in my $49/night room in Muncie thinking about this decision.

I was looking forward to the heat as an extra way to challenge myself. I cheaped out in every way on this race. 2 night@ $49 plus fees. Super early registration for $199. Afew tanks of gas for $200+. A meal out with friends. All in all I still paid $600 to get FUCKED!

Local races from now on.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:

I was looking forward to the heat as an extra way to challenge myself. I cheaped out in every way on this race. 2 night@ $49 plus fees. Super early registration for $199. Afew tanks of gas for $200+. A meal out with friends. All in all I still paid $600 to get FUCKED!

Local races from now on.

You are the prime example to why this is unacceptable. I feel so bad for you. I can't say that enough.

All I can say is seek out the RD. Talk to as many official WTC employees as possible and state your case. Email WTC. Don't just let this happen and race.... that is the worst thing all of the athletes can do. If you race, you're allowing this to happen. I get the take something over nothing for your money but then nothing will change. This will happen more and more and you'll stop competing. You'll lose the love for the sport and triathlon will become as tainted as Rock 'N Roll Marathons.

Stand up and do something. Don't just get run over.

You're either the machine or working for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel as if all this bitching is evidence of the attitudes that a lot in this sport carry. The "why me" type bitching. Never considering anyone else possibly involved. How about the 100s who have to volunteer, the possibility that local hospitals might not have enough support, the on site support not being sufficient. Move past the idea that people show up under prepared. It happens and will continue to happen. These races aren't just for "you". I'm racing tomorrow and while I'm a little pissed I paid that much for a shorter race, I still get to race. And racing is racing. All those bucket listers have their panties in a bunch because THEY don't get to have the race they feel they deserve but fail to even try to comprehend why a decision like this was made. If someone were to die because the appropriate care wasn't available can you imagine the outrage? And rightfully so. Lawsuits would ensue. And what if it was a pro or other highly trained highly prepared athlete?

People need to relax. Not everything goes to plan, much like long course racing. Adjust and make the best of it. The good news is you'll be ready to train/recovered much faster.

That said. That's some bull shit regarding the discounted entry to other events in the next few months.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to lighten up. And, I do hope neither you nor anyone else gets heatstroke this weekend racing an Oly in 106 heat. It is a very effective killer and does not just strike the unprepared much as you would like to think.
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [doubleplay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
doubleplay wrote:
Dopers.Suck wrote:

Do you guys have any idea how hot Kona gets in October and how hot it'll be in Muncie and difference in between? On a side note are you comparing the qualified athletes in Kona to participants in Muncie???

------

They are catering to the slowest and weakest of which there are plenty in Kona..Not everyone qualified..

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
radelj44 wrote:
knewbike wrote:

Local races from now on.

You are the prime example to why this is unacceptable. I feel so bad for you. I can't say that enough.

All I can say is seek out the RD. Talk to as many official WTC employees as possible and state your case. Email WTC. Don't just let this happen and race.... that is the worst thing all of the athletes can do. If you race, you're allowing this to happen. I get the take something over nothing for your money but then nothing will change. This will happen more and more and you'll stop competing. You'll lose the love for the sport and triathlon will become as tainted as Rock 'N Roll Marathons.

Stand up and do something. Don't just get run over.

You're either the machine or working for it.
--

Too late for that! The Iron in Ironman means about as much as the Star in Starbucks...

---
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [wsrobert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
All those bucket listers have their panties in a bunch because THEY don't get to have the race they feel they deserve

While I generally agree with your post, it is not a race they feel they "deserve", but a race they signed up for and more importantly, PAID for.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: ironman Muncie 70.3 now an olympic.... weak [link5485] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
link5485 wrote:

No, they should give the refund as cash so people can make a choice where they want to spend it! A lot of people plan there vacation around the race and might not have the time, money or just don't want to do those races or maybe not another WTC race.

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com