Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Advice from fishies - training technique over fitness - how long? [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lots of good stuff already posted in here, not too much to add.

The one thing that I wouldmention is frequency. In trying to acquire a new skill, I don't think 3x per week is enough, not really. You'll go one day, then you've forgotten much of what you've gained by the time you get in the water the next practice. By going 5x per week, even if they are shorter sessions, you are regressing less after each session. I always feel like if I miss practices, the first day back is a bit of a write off. The second and third day in a row is where the improvements start to come. So even if you do only have time for 3x per week, if you can schedule them on consecutive days then that may be beneficial.

The other important thing is to pick one thing at a time to work on. Pretty sure that was already mentioned. Work with your coach to get that going.

Finally, you aren't starting from a terrible place. You aren't fast, but you are ahead of a lot of other people your age. You've improved by about 10s per 100 over the last 16 months on a relatively minimal time investment. If I told you that you'd improve your run speed by 40s per mile on 3 hours training per week, I suspect you'd be ok with that. This is pretty much the same thing.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Advice from fishies - training technique over fitness - how long? [themadcyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
themadcyclist wrote:
Thanks guys - I just got Shelia Ts book and notice the stretch cords section - they seem cheap enough and worth a go for sure!

I do recognize that swimming is a process - but I have been beating my head against the wall getting nowhere for the past 16 months and feel like I need to take 3 steps back right now to move forward.

In response to Kevin in Md - I don't swim mindlessly, I do swim with a focus - indeed I would get bored stiff swimming mindlessly - but I also am clearly not aware of what it takes to get the stroke technique down - so I guess I am more of a type 2. I don't know what I am doing wrong until corrected. Our masters coach did not do a very good job helping me figure out what to correct so I have now ingrained some very bad technique and have to unlearn it. It was also a huge confidence killer to work so hard, invest so much time (and $$) and get nowhere. Swimming isn't coming naturally for me.

All that aside, I am attacking this with a vengeance, recognize there are no quick fixes and it is not going to happen overnight - am just trying to figure out the best way to go about relearning how to swim. The approach of throwing volume at it - you will figure it out - did not work so well for me. So I am trying to figure out if there is a different approach I should take before I step up the volume and intensity again. The only thing I know for sure is I need to get in the pool frequently - the Q is what do I focus on for the next few months to relearn good habits. And yes, it is rather overwhelming at times bc I can't focus on more than one thing at a time when swimming without everything else going to hell! ARGHHHH!!!

Thanks for all of the tips! So far, I need to get swim cords, focus on no more than two things at a time and keep some endurance/intensity work in there. But I think as soon as form starts to go right now, I am gonna stop and save it for the next day.

It might have been asked already, I didn't see if asked in previous posts but have you had any video footage of your swim stroke? Sometimes it's hard to see just looking from the surface of the water, video footage taken from underwater can help find opportunities for improvement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a lot to add. I rate technique over fitness. I see no point in spending long hours working hard with bad technique, because the changes required to get to good technique may well be using the muscles differently, so you will just need to spend time building up those new movements. Seen a couple of mentions of visualization. Here is a great visualization tool.
Mr Smooth for PC
Mr Smooth, Miss Swinger app for iOS
Mr Smooth, Miss Swinger app for android
Quote Reply
Re: Advice from fishies - training technique over fitness - how long? [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
Not a lot to add. I rate technique over fitness. I see no point in spending long hours working hard with bad technique, because the changes required to get to good technique may well be using the muscles differently, so you will just need to spend time building up those new movements. Seen a couple of mentions of visualization. Here is a great visualization tool.
Mr Smooth for PC

Ummm, no.

Technique and fitness are linked. You need fitness to execute the technique, and you need technique to utilize the fitness. You work on both, all the time.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Advice from fishies - training technique over fitness - how long? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
sharkbait_au wrote:
Mr Smooth for PC

Ummm, no.

Technique and fitness are linked. You need fitness to execute the technique, and you need technique to utilize the fitness. You work on both, all the time.
So if you have a super fit runner, who swims with crap technique, you would recommend they work really hard at ingraining their crappy technique?
Quote Reply
Re: Advice from fishies - training technique over fitness - how long? [sharkbait_au] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you're falling into the trap that perfection is required, after all, you don't want to ingrain poor technique. With that mindset, you'll never start, because technique will never be perfect. Like I said, you work on both....

A super fit runner does not have swim fitness. They haven't got the shoulder stability, flexibility, or lat strength yet. You develop all that at the same time as you work on technique.

With the adult onset swimmer, you train them pretty much the same way as you'd train an 8 yo age grouper. With the age grouper, you don't tell them that today we're just going to work on drills. You work a lot on kick, and a lot on swimming hard. While they are swimming hard, you tell them to keep their legs up, or to roll to the side to breathe, or not to pause their arms every stroke. And then when they need a break, they rest until they can do it again.

Their technique looks like shit at first, but gradually as they get stronger, it gets better.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 22, 14 15:37
Quote Reply
Re: Advice from fishies - training technique over fitness - how long? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I don't think perfection is required, although desired. I agree that you need both fitness and technique, but I simply think that it is better to focus on technique, the fitness comes with many hours spent focusing on technique. I am simply saying that I rate technique over fitness, and my n=1, and n=many from what I read, is that an unfit swimmer with good technique will almost always easily swim past the fit person with crap technique, and I view that as testament to my case.

However I can see how you could mistake my meaning behind "I see no point in spending long hours working hard with bad technique", when perhaps I should have said I see no point in spending long hours focusing on speed & fitness when you should be focusing on technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
also just to add.... The OP is 50 yo. I'm only 41 but still can't just bounce around from this to that the same way an 8 yo can, we risk injury from a sudden change in technique.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's why it's even more important to work on one thing at a time and work on fitness while working on technique, to reduce the risk of injury....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technique changes as you improve fitness and you swim faster. So, to use your runner example, you want to run a 6 min mile, so you go to track and practice technique, hone it real well at a 12 min pace? Your technique today a a 2min 100 will not be the same as 1:45 pace
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
That's why it's even more important to work on one thing at a time and work on fitness while working on technique, to reduce the risk of injury....
You confuse me.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice from fishies - training technique over fitness - how long? [Kenney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kenney wrote:
Technique changes as you improve fitness and you swim faster. So, to use your runner example, you want to run a 6 min mile, so you go to track and practice technique, hone it real well at a 12 min pace? Your technique today a a 2min 100 will not be the same as 1:45 pace
So you are saying you should do lots of practice until you can maintain 1:45 pace with a pronounced heel strike, then move straight to a forefoot/midfoot strike at the same pace? I pity your legs. I view the difference in joint/muscle strain between fore/mid & heel to be as extreme as evf & straight arm. Which adds to why I think that evf needs to be an early and primary focus.
Last edited by: sharkbait_au: Nov 22, 14 18:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thing on perfection... I don't think in terms of perfection. It's an unattainable ideal, and that's also a reason not to put fitness aside for technique. You aren't trying to be "perfect", only "better". Every single day, strive to be "better", and the gains will come. So start the process now rather than later. It's about commitment to a process rather than to an outcome. 5years down the road, the OP still won't be perfect, but she will be better than she is now.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sharkbait_au wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You confuse me.

One thing wrt technique. I didn't think I had to spell that out....

Eg during a hard set of 20x50, just concentrate on head position, or initial catch, or hand entry, or...... You can swim hard while you do that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
sharkbait_au wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You confuse me.

Eg during a hard set of 20x50, just concentrate on head position, or initial catch, or hand entry, or...... You can swim hard while you do that.
I see you've finally come around to my way of thinking ;)
Last edited by: sharkbait_au: Nov 22, 14 18:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
sharkbait_au wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
You confuse me.

THIS I can do and not fall apart! On longer or shorter recovery? Say 1:20 leave time or shorter?

I wish i could jump in with the kids - and have a coach who was watching and giving useful pointers! But right now, most of my swims are gonna be me vs the clock.

Am gonna hit the pool as often as I can - even if it's just 30min- I hear ya on the frequency issue.

Thanks for the help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On whatever off time you can manage. Play with it, if you are falling apart after 10 of them, then you need more rest. If it's easy, then take less rest.

For these, you want to be going at your 400m / 500y pace or slightly better for all of them, so take whatever rest you need to keep going at that pace. I'd typically do them on an off time that gives me 15 -20 s rest.

Have a look at slowman's guppy /tarpon workouts for more ideas, they're really good.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice reply. My mistake for replying to you... Have a great night. .. ........Least your FOP swimmer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
On whatever off time you can manage. Play with it, if you are falling apart after 10 of them, then you need more rest. If it's easy, then take less rest.

For these, you want to be going at your 400m / 500y pace or slightly better for all of them, so take whatever rest you need to keep going at that pace. I'd typically do them on an off time that gives me 15 -20 s rest.
============================================================================

Sorry, I'm not very good at posting properly yet. I guess I'll be making mistakes at this too until I get good like many of you.

I really appreciate Jason's and the experienced swimmers insights. Such as practice at a reasonable pace with enough rest to swim well. Too often new and poor swimmers do not take or get enough rest in master's programs which leads to the feeling it's all about struggling. It's an eye opener that the two hours a day that I put into running will now have to be put into swimming to discover how good a swimmer I can be.

Often we hope that "pretty" technique and equipment will get us where we want to be. The magical foot plant while running, a pretty aero bike, that elusive swim stroke.

I have been to many running races where people with atrocious foot plants due to hip and feet limitations are beating "pretty" runners.

If someone on an aero bike is averaging 25 mph and I'm going 20 mph on a road bike, a pretty bike is going to only make a 1 mph difference. I will have to put in the time to make up the other 4 mph if I'm capable of doing it.

Learning swim technique is important. It's helpful to feel like you are doing it right while training and that you are in control. Once aware of technique, I'm afraid that it is going to take an hour to two hours a day for several years before my swimming compares to my running or cycling. Over several years I went from running at eight minute miles to sub six minute miles. I was satisfied with the steady improvement of taking just one second off my mile average from week to week.

While running, my leg speed and stride length both improved as I put in the miles. Bringing the leg through a little faster tended to increase the stride length also. I did do running drills and hill running too; yet, it was running two a day workouts and three hour runs on the weekend that took me from MOP to FOP. So while I feel that I am stroking fast enough, I probably do need to bump it up gradually to increase my swim speed while putting in workouts of an hour or more daily.

Oh how I wish I could get there through "pretty" rather than time spent.

Background: 6', 145 pounds and I will be 60 in February. Very grateful for my health and that there are things, like my swim, that I can really improve upon if I put in the time.

The expert advice that I can get from the swimmers and cyclists by reading the ST forum is also appreciated. And I especially enjoyed the humor expressed with the exploding carbon bike during winter thread!

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One thing to mention that I haven't read explicitly (admittedly I did not peruse the entire thread) is that my technique goes to hell when I get tired, and when I get tired is determined by my fitness. This is very apparent in my Garmin laps, my first 800-1000 meters will be around 2:00/100 m, then all of a sudden I drop to 2:10 (as you can tell, I'm not a fast swimmer). Soto answer your question, more fitness can only help, and whatever it takes to gain it is needed. I do my best when I include lots of laps with weight training that focuses on abdominal and lats.
Quote Reply
Re: Advice from fishies - training technique over fitness - how long? [Hussman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hussman wrote:
One thing to mention that I haven't read explicitly (admittedly I did not peruse the entire thread) is that my technique goes to hell when I get tired, and when I get tired is determined by my fitness. This is very apparent in my Garmin laps, my first 800-1000 meters will be around 2:00/100 m, then all of a sudden I drop to 2:10 (as you can tell, I'm not a fast swimmer). Soto answer your question, more fitness can only help, and whatever it takes to gain it is needed. I do my best when I include lots of laps with weight training that focuses on abdominal and lats.

That's normal, especially if you don't have good pacing. One of the big lessons to learn for anyone who races any distance over 100m is how to hold your stroke together even though your muscles are toast. That comes from repetition, and pushing yourself in training.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck with your quest! I bet you can make better progress with your swimming than you realize. "The approach of throwing volume at it - you will figure it out - did not work so well for me." This resonates with me as well. The prevailing wisdom on ST sometimes tends to be "just swim a ton and you'll get better." They're not totally wrong but there's more to it than that. I see people doing pretty decent volume at my pool and they never improve, they swim a lot and just stay slow forever. I think I'm one of the very few regular swimmers at the pool that has substantially changed in ability during the three years I've been going there. I'm a long way from being a really good swimmer but in three years of triathlon I've improved swimming from being my worst event to now perhaps my strongest, and I didn't start swimming seriously until I was in my late 50s.

I swam more than I ever had this year, 9-12,000 yards per week for 9 months, training for an ironman. I made some progress, especially on my endurance, but not as much as I expected. I've backed off this fall, but have been experimenting with my stroke and suddenly made some real breakthroughs. I've always worked pretty hard but I found that if I relaxed and concentrated on swimming smoothly much to my surprise I was swimming just as fast on less effort. My stroke had once been too short, but I had gone to the other extreme and I was now stretching my stroke out too long, and also putting the brakes on with my hand entry. Some experimenting led to a sudden 4-5 second/100 improvement, as much as I got from the previous 9 months of hard work. So I'm now swimming faster than ever on significantly less volume solely due to technique improvement.

Someone said you probably have relatively little to gain from technique but don't have the muscular endurance to swim well and that's where most of your improvement will come from. If you swam master's for 16 months I find that hard to believe, that should have bumped your fitness up considerably. It's a shame you didn't get good coaching during all that time. In my experience, it's hard to get good swim coaching. I'm a bit surprised you've got a new coach and you're on here looking for advice, getting the coach is the best thing you could do for your swimming provided you've picked a good one. Personally, I wouldn't suddenly just do nothing but 25s. I'd mix it up. IMHO nothing wrong with a longer set to warm up and doing some 100s & 200s in addition where you work on putting into practice what you gain from those short and hard sets. Plus if you enjoy your training that will help you get better and I know I wouldn't enjoy doing nothing but 25s. Good luck!

Quote Reply

Prev Next