Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I gather by JB's tweet that the weather got the best of them?? Just looking for an update...
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather nowhere near as bad as it was looking like it might be. Big storm rolled through in the afternoon, giving everyone a nice soaking, but nice cool temps for good riding.

Jeremiah Bishop and Kelly Williamson battled to some simply insane climbing times.

5 timed KOM segments. Total time.
53:54
53:51

I'll let you guess whose is whose.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well KW has his ride uploaded to Strava but JB doesn't yet--right NOW KW shows a few KOMs.... Glad to hear the weather wasn't much of a factor!!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sick climbing. KW wins in a squeaker.

https://docs.google.com/...7Do/edit?usp=sharing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any word on the status for next year?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From what I hear weather for the front group wasn't as bad as predicted. I got slowed up by multiple flats (guys I was riding with) and mechanicals (again people I was with) we were 1:30 rolling into aid station 1. Bad start then came the poops (again guys I was riding with) we moved slow. It hit 75* at one point early on an we abandoned all our extra gear at the first aid station.

The weather was horrendous for those in the back. 3 guys I was riding with abandoned and I had left them because they were moving so slow. They said their were at least 15 people at the 4th aid station waiting for a ride back (they quit there). Up the road I was wearing a trash bag climbing out of Westernport in a complete downpour, that was awful. I was shaking I was so cold and it was now 60*.

Also after the ride I talked to a friend that made it off the front and is a fast rider and he said his weather didn't seem nearly as bad but mainly because they had finished most of the insane climbing/decents at that point.

The guys in front didn't even come close to their goal time finishing at 7:50. Weather was a factor.

Tips if it happens again next year- Unless 100% certain of no rain (or at least warmer temps) bring a packable vest and keep it with you.

Oh, and just check all of your gear before riding this. I will admit I made some errors that did not help me on this ride. example: Dark Tint glasses. I had clear ones at my place but didn't think about it until I was starting. I couldn't see anything through the fog with them on and it felt like I was being sand blasted in the eye with them off.
Last edited by: Granth9: Jun 22, 14 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [Granth9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, if you're going to drop out, try not to do it 40 miles from the finish. It makes getting large numbers of you all the way back very challenging. And, if at mile 50 you are presented with a decision of 62 miles or 102/125 miles, don't choose the latter and then drop out and ask for a ride home at mile 55. That's just not cool. 5 miles ago you were in for either another 52 or 75 miles. And, now, 5 miles later you need a ride home? Shuttling a large number of unexpected dropouts back from the mile 55 stop really hurt our ability to get at the big crew of dropouts 40 miles away at mile 84. Such is life, but lest you ever think about turning your favorite ride into a supported event, keep in mind the responsibilities......

But, anyway, a great day. The weather could have been far worse. One strong shower put a damper on life for sure, but considering the forecast 12 hours prior, we dodged a serious bullet.

Here's Kelly Williamson and Jeremiah Bishop working Pig's Ear. Wonder how many KOMs went down yesterday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry to hear about people not riding responsibly--or just not making good decisions!! Seems like common sense if you are even questioning which course to do that you should most likely go for the shorter distance!

And let's just say my Strava update that includes KW and JB was LOADED with KOMs...just glad Joe D was riding the mountains at Tour de Suisse--they sure make KOMs around here tough.

Edit to add: So what does the future look like for this event?? I haven't gotten the chance to do it yet due to schedule but buddy and I today already said as long as it's on next year then it's ON!
Last edited by: Skippy74: Jun 22, 14 16:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto. I already advised family we have a road trip planned. I would definitely like to know before December when B2VT registration opens because if this monster is not happening, I am going to try to get entry into that monster. But this one is a priority. Looks awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's not much to say at this point. For those who need to plan a year in advance, I apologize.
Last edited by: kny: Jun 22, 14 19:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to mention that we had a bear bound across the road in front of us as we were biking up to the start. What a way to start the day! Pedaled a bit harder for a few minutes after that as it was a smaller one and we figured his mama was coming...

And the metric was just about perfect on Saturday--lots of big climbs, but the weather cooperated as we were in the hot tub by the time the 3pm shower hit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just want to add my thanks to those that helped put this on. I'll agree that the weather wasn't too bad - I had a jacket that I took off halfway through the first leg and the only time I felt like I needed it again was the descent to Westernport, but this was after a 10 minute mechanical stop at the top of one of the climbs around mile 72. It was noticeably chillier and foggier on the east side of the divide (car thermometer confirmed this on the drive back). Still, I'll take cool and wet over hot and humid for something this long. Honestly, the thing I was most worried about was the long descent from the start. With a couple hundred riders (of several experience levels) on narrow roads without any hills to spread out, it could have gotten dicey. Thankfully the Jeremiah/Kelly/Rick/Josh group did a good job of riding neutral and no one was going to be stupid and challenge them.

Some other thoughts as this was my first DD (although I have done Savageman, so I know some of the roads):
- good variety of food at the aid stations - never got sick of anything. Watermelon at #6 was a huge help!
- Having the early (and final) climbs timed makes sense in that people on most of the rides get to them - but does make it hard to ride smart.
- Blue Lick was fun and I'm glad I didn't take the detour, even though I unclipped towards the top of the climb, as the wet and loose gravel made it really tough to find a good line.
- Road markings were excellent (not just the turns, but warnings for tight turns). Pavement condition was really good too.
- One thing that would have been nice to have at the aid stations was some chain lube - due to the alternating wet/dry conditions, I was getting creaky by around mile 80. Asked at a few but no one had it.
- Whoever warned about the unnamed climb around mile 97 was dead on.

Hope this event makes it another year as I would definitely consider it again, and don't think I would do that loop unsupported.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Understood, and no apology necessary. I just hope things sort out by December. But my world will not end if it doesn't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kyle, Very fun day on the Garrett Cty roads

A big THANK YOU to you(and crew) for creating, organizing, sweating the details and getting all of the local support needed for a complex event.

Doubt many noticed the timing group www.runhigh.com but the lead man there was Mark Courtney; a very capable and prolific runner for decades.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Courtney is the greatest. You think timing an event like this with 5 timed segments (ie, 10 sets of mats and controllers) spread out all over nowhere is easy, think again. Mark is the definition of the 70s running boom. He has run Boston Marathon 35 times and has a daily running streak intact that stretches back to the Carter administration. While you were out riding he laced up his running shoes and ran down Wisp, out to 219, and then back up the summit climb. What did I do? I sat in a chair under a tent.

Now, bringing triathlon back to this Gran Fondo topic. Jeremiah Bishop and Josh Beck were first across the line, and as they were crumpled over their bars at the finish, the first thing Jeremiah could get out of his mouth was that he would never speak ill of triathletes again. For the first half of the ride, where 4 of the 5 KOMs were held, Kelly Williamson was giving him everything he could handle. And, then for the last 40 miles, from Luke station (#4) on, Josh Beck got antsy and rode everyone off his wheel (including Kelly) except for Bishop who hung on for dear life until the Wisp climb. Bishop exclaimed that for 30 miles he was on the rivot just to stay on Beck's wheel. Suffice it to say that Jeremiah Bishop left the Garrett County Gran Fondo impressed with triathletes on bikes.

Between Kelly and Jeremiah pummeling themselves, it's gonna take Joe Dombrowski to get at any of those new KOM standards set.

Here's KOM results:
https://docs.google.com/...7Do/edit?usp=sharing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
There's not much to say at this point. For those who need to plan a year in advance, I apologize.

Just wondering if there's any word on next year--looking at next year's schedule for racing--if not I understand!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Gran Fondo's been around 5 years now. Too many great roads out there being unused while the Fondo routes and SavageMan roads get all the love. Time to shake things up with a new route. This one's always been one of my favorites. May be time to do like the TdF and change the routes up every year.

The GF's on the calendar for 6/20.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing idea!!! Thanks so much for the reply--here's to the future!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skippy74 wrote:
kny wrote:

Just wondering if there's any word on next year--looking at next year's schedule for racing--if not I understand!!

The 2015 Garrett County Gran Fondo will be held June 27.

And, if riding to the summit finish atop Wisp isn't enough for you, you'll have the opportunity to run up the ski slope on Sunday.
Quote Reply

Prev Next