Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
2014 Garrett County(Md) Gran Fondo-Diabolical Double
Quote | Reply
It's in my back yard but I've not done it officially until this year. Kyle, very much looking forward to it along with some of my friends from SW Pa.

Anyone else going?
www.winthefight.org
Last edited by: thenicetwin: Jun 24, 14 7:19
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Man, with roads like these in your back yard, you are a privileged man.

The Gran Fondo ain't a race, but Strava's servers are going to be humming. There is just some insane climbing talent coming and looking to be the first to crack the 7 hour barrier for the Diabolical Double.

The roads are in excellent shape. Hope the weather holds. You've watched this, I presume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iLOGxIxJnw

Have you seen this video of Blue Lick, the dirt/gravel road?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9sgLQCroBc
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [thenicetwin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll be there with a few others. Hope we get good weather like last year. Heavier this year but I had to stop a lot for another friend on the ride so I hope to go around faster this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [Granth9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't miss it! Awesome day in, and out of, the saddle. You gotta thank those voluteers along the way too...they have a loooooong day too.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

We are very lucky to have decent roads. We can do an "easy" century between Uniontown Pa and Deep Creek and back. If only we had considerate drivers every day too.
I've seen your videos and they only get me more excited to ride...tomorrow.
"Man, with roads like these in your back yard, you are a privileged man. "

The Gran Fondo ain't a race, but Strava's servers are going to be humming. There is just some insane climbing talent coming and looking to be the first to crack the 7 hour barrier for the Diabolical Double.

The roads are in excellent shape. Hope the weather holds. You've watched this, I presume. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iLOGxIxJnw

Have you seen this video of Blue Lick, the dirt/gravel road?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9sgLQCroBc
Last edited by: thenicetwin: Jun 12, 14 18:02
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kyle,
I am trying to round up a few guys from down here in south florida. No luck yet. They are all scared! I might have to come up by myself!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@kny - norton tried to talk me into the sub 7 bid. ouch, it hurt just thinking about it!

i think they'll do it though. they are all monsters that dont slow down as the hours tick by. the biggest question though... who will top wisp first!?

for those going, say hello to the climb at mile 99 for me. i think i left some of my soul on that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
%FTP wrote:
@kny - norton tried to talk me into the sub 7 bid. ouch, it hurt just thinking about it!

i think they'll do it though. they are all monsters that dont slow down as the hours tick by. the biggest question though... who will top wisp first!?

for those going, say hello to the climb at mile 99 for me. i think i left some of my soul on that one.

The beauty of the climb at mile 99 is that it is nameless, and it is the many nameless ones like that which just do you in.

Here's the horses I know of lining up for the Diabolical:
Jeremiah Bishop
Nick Waite
Rick Norton
Josh Beck
Kelly Williamson (the climbing extraordinaire SavageMan male champion, not the female pro)

You're crazy to bet against Jeremiah Bishop, but the sentimentalist in me hopes Josh Beck is in good form this spring. 7 hours is doable for sure, but it will take a lot of the fun out of the day for them. Going through the aid stations like indycar pitstops and not enjoying the riding for the excellence that it is. But, barriers are meant to be broken and that one's out there.... I think Josh rode like 7:15 moving time last year with 7:40 or just under clock time, so quicker stops, a few guys working together, and an actual goal in mind, and sub 7 can surely happen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JB has been doing lots of long work this year. I'm curious to see how the "old guy" norton does. You don't win national championships for nothing! And he's probably a good 15lbs under JB. Waite will be in the mix. But yes it's tough to bet against bishop!

Wish I could be there to watch the last few miles!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If anyone needs a place to stay, I just cancelled reservations for two cabins at Deep Creek Lake State Park next weekend as I am unable to attend.
Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely difficult to go against JB but I know Kelly Williamson has been putting in some solid work including a monster KOM assault on Mt. Weather here in NoVA (KW is very local to me so follow him on Strava and just saw that ride)...I think if that group works together there could be some fireworks!!
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [rustytools] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rustytools wrote:
If anyone needs a place to stay, I just cancelled reservations for two cabins at Deep Creek Lake State Park next weekend as I am unable to attend.
Chris
Thanks for this--I just grabbed one as a couple of us were still looking for a place to stay and didn't see them open a few days ago.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Kelly must be on good form based on that strava file. And wise to go at it from the Route 7 side. Joe Dombrowski has made it unappealing to go after Mt. Weather KOM from Rt. 50....

I hope these guys ride safe and don't get to all my aid stations before they've had a chance to get set up....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Joe D. can make many of these climbs unappealing!!! And just think JB riding/coaching Joe D. so he'll bring that to the party...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thenicetwin wrote:
It's in my back yard but I've not done it officially until this year. Kyle, very much looking forward to it along with some of my friends from SW Pa.

Anyone else going?
www.winthefight.org[/quote]

Being in New England and not a reader of any cycling literature, I was not aware of this ride. But now that I am, I am very interested in doing it next year. Can you give me some idea of how many people do this ride? Is it big enough to sell out area hotels? Just trying to figure out logistics. And thank you for bringing this to my attention. Looks epic.
Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's 5 rides: 25, 44, 62, 102, 125. They're all awesome, but the Diabolical Double Metric is the king. 125 miles, 16,500' climbing. It's a monster. All told there are about 1000 riders, with the DD the most popular at 400-450 or so. It's some pretty special riding out there in SavageMan territory. Not sure what 2015 and beyond will bring for this ride. The Joanna M Nicolay Melanoma Foundation, who has been the charity beneficiary all years and the event producer for many, is shutting down shop at end of 2014.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Savageman sold, and an uncertain future for diabolical double...say it ain't so!!!! A little piece of me will die if these races don't carry on. Probably the best organized and most fun races/rides I've ever done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Kelly's ride on Strava from yesterday--sure looks like a little DD practice run!!! 124miles with 12k of climbing at 20mph--better get those aid stations ready early and staffed by folks ready to do fast hand ups.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the G2. I will keep a look out, and my hopes up, for 2015. It would be a shame for an epic to die out. Maybe some one else will come in an pick it up.

kny wrote:
There's 5 rides: 25, 44, 62, 102, 125. They're all awesome, but the Diabolical Double Metric is the king. 125 miles, 16,500' climbing. It's a monster. All told there are about 1000 riders, with the DD the most popular at 400-450 or so. It's some pretty special riding out there in SavageMan territory. Not sure what 2015 and beyond will bring for this ride. The Joanna M Nicolay Melanoma Foundation, who has been the charity beneficiary all years and the event producer for many, is shutting down shop at end of 2014.

Quote Reply
Re: Roll Call:2014 Garrett County(Md) Grand Fondo-Diaboical Double [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skippy74 wrote:
Check out Kelly's ride on Strava from yesterday--sure looks like a little DD practice run!!! 124miles with 12k of climbing at 20mph--better get those aid stations ready early and staffed by folks ready to do fast hand ups.

Damn. Clearly a motopacing workout...

Wonder if he'll go with his patented SavageMan uni-bar setup.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather looking better for Saturday than it did. Hoping it keeps improving for www.winthefight.org

Kyle...how are the enrollment numbers looking?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We'll tap out just shy of 1000. Same as last two years.

There are things that are not mentioned. And weather is one of them. So, shut it.

Off to Garrett County and Deep Creek Lake now. Adios 100 degrees Washington, DC!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is on my list, but it falls on the day right after my son's birthday so it is out for me this year but quite likely next year. I did do Mountains of Misery earlier this year and it has a similar vibe, but I like how Garrett County brings out more heavy hitters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

"There are things that are not mentioned. And weather is one of them. So, shut it"

So...should I mention IT now so it will change again?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
... STOP IT!
Quote Reply

Prev Next