Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zwift for Dummies (like me)
Quote | Reply
I know there are threads on Zwift but hoping this could be a new one for folks who aren't tech savvy and/or new to Zwifting. I need help with a few things, mostly basic.

1) Is it possible to show watts per mile on the screen? Right now my rides show real time watts so they bounce all over the place every second. Previously my old coach had me do all my indoor training on the Computrainer in Erg mode so I just changed the watts myself. But now with Zwift I can't pin point watts if they are bouncing all over the place in real time. I can't find the settings to change this. Maybe I'm out of luck?

2) I aim to be completely anonymous on zwift. I'm using it 100% for training and to alleviate boredom and a change from the Erg Mode (I'm not looking to make friends). I don't want followers and somehow my middle-aged menopause cycling on Fuego Flatts has attracted 5 followers. How can I get rid of them and prevent others from following me? It's not like facebook where I can get rid of unwanted followers. I'm not as anti social as this post sounds. I just don't want interaction on Zwift or followers unless it's my coach. I'm struggling with menopause at the moment and really don't want the attention....get my drift :-)

3) and I don't think I can change this so I'll vent. I'm 51, 5 foot 7 inches and 129 pounds. I'm still considered slim. I'm far from heavy. but fit and some muscle from 4 past Ironmans. Zwift has made me out to look like a frumpy middle-aged woman on the bike with a big ass. It's not a correct portrayal. I don't really look like that! Ugh. Whatever, it doesn't really matter. But honestly, it's a bit cruel. Thanks Zwift! (pink)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for Dummies (like me) [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
I know there are threads on Zwift but hoping this could be a new one for folks who aren't tech savvy and/or new to Zwifting. I need help with a few things, mostly basic.

1) Is it possible to show watts per mile on the screen? Right now my rides show real time watts so they bounce all over the place every second. Previously my old coach had me do all my indoor training on the Computrainer in Erg mode so I just changed the watts myself. But now with Zwift I can't pin point watts if they are bouncing all over the place in real time. I can't find the settings to change this. Maybe I'm out of luck?

2) I aim to be completely anonymous on zwift. I'm using it 100% for training and to alleviate boredom and a change from the Erg Mode (I'm not looking to make friends). I don't want followers and somehow my middle-aged menopause cycling on Fuego Flatts has attracted 5 followers. How can I get rid of them and prevent others from following me? It's not like facebook where I can get rid of unwanted followers. I'm not as anti social as this post sounds. I just don't want interaction on Zwift or followers unless it's my coach. I'm struggling with menopause at the moment and really don't want the attention....get my drift :-)

3) and I don't think I can change this so I'll vent. I'm 51, 5 foot 7 inches and 129 pounds. I'm still considered slim. I'm far from heavy. but fit and some muscle from 4 past Ironmans. Zwift has made me out to look like a frumpy middle-aged woman on the bike with a big ass. It's not a correct portrayal. I don't really look like that! Ugh. Whatever, it doesn't really matter. But honestly, it's a bit cruel. Thanks Zwift! (pink)

For 1), can’t be done unless you are doing actual ITT or climbing Alpe du Zwift. Just use a separate recording device that shows lap power.

For 2), set your profile to be private and use a pseudonym. You must do this by logging onto Zwift using a browser (can’t be done in-game or in companion app).

ETA: for 2, I'm wrong, and see post of @JasoninHalifax below
Last edited by: echappist: Jun 10, 21 7:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) As noted above: nope. Not unless you're climbing the Alp (which you need to be Level 12 to even unlock the course), and it gives you average watts and average HR for that particular segment. That being said, if your coach uses TrainingPeaks' Workout Builder for a given workout, you can create a sync between the two of them so that you can do the workout in ERG mode in Zwift.

Alternatively, via the Zwift Companion app, you should be able to turn on ERG mode as well so that you can just target specific watts while pedaling away in Watopia.

2.) Lock the profile via signing into the browser, change your name to something random instead of your real name.

3.) In game, you should be able to make *some* changes to your appearance via the garage. That said, female avatars are definitely not as diverse as they should be in game. Zwift knows it's an issue, but it takes them a long time to develop new code for stuff like that due to the way that content is coded in game.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for Dummies (like me) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

For 1), can’t be done unless you are doing actual ITT or climbing Alpe du Zwift. Just use a separate recording device that shows lap power.

For 2), set your profile to be private and use a pseudonym. You must do this by logging onto Zwift using a browser (can’t be done in-game or in companion app).

Thanks!

1) OK bummer. I have a workout today with very specific watts. So I'll just do that one in Erg mode. I have created workouts in Zwift with watts and then it warns me if I'm going to hard or too easy but it's time consuming to make these workouts.

2) yeah, it's not easy to put myself in private mode. I did change my name on my user profile and changed nationality lol. But still can't seem to find where I can make myself private. lol. I'm a tech moron. I'll ask my busy IT help desk when he's free (hubby).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for 1) do you have a smart trainer? if so, create a custom workout at the wattages/duration you need. if not then you'll have to do it with your legs, but make sure 3s smoothing is on (in the settings menu after you load zwift) It's a lot easier to control the effort.

2) in the companion app go to More...Privacy...

turn on "approve follow requests" and "private messaging"

turn off "display age"

set "activity privacy default" to either "private" or "followers"

I don't know a way to get rid of followers, but at least they won't see your new activities.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for Dummies (like me) [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
1.) As noted above: nope. Not unless you're climbing the Alp (which you need to be Level 12 to even unlock the course), and it gives you average watts and average HR for that particular segment. That being said, if your coach uses TrainingPeaks' Workout Builder for a given workout, you can create a sync between the two of them so that you can do the workout in ERG mode in Zwift.

Alternatively, via the Zwift Companion app, you should be able to turn on ERG mode as well so that you can just target specific watts while pedaling away in Watopia.

2.) Lock the profile via signing into the browser, change your name to something random instead of your real name.

3.) In game, you should be able to make *some* changes to your appearance via the garage. That said, female avatars are definitely not as diverse as they should be in game. Zwift knows it's an issue, but it takes them a long time to develop new code for stuff like that due to the way that content is coded in game.

OK my coach does give me workouts in TP. But not in the workout builder. I'll touch base with her about that. I didn't know you could do Erg mode in Zwift.

Is there a way I can do Erg mode in Zwift w/o a workout coming from TP??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it's why we in our coaching company always update stuff in Workout Builder -- so that way if people choose to use a platform they can do it that way. All good.

That said -- you have to use the Zwift Companion app to be able to turn ERG on without it being in a given workout. The Companion app runs off your iPhone/Android device. Think of it like a controller for the game. Key is that it needs to be on the same WiFi network as the device running the game (e.g., computer, iPad, Apple TV, etc.)

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for Dummies (like me) [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Yeah, it's why we in our coaching company always update stuff in Workout Builder -- so that way if people choose to use a platform they can do it that way. All good.

That said -- you have to use the Zwift Companion app to be able to turn ERG on without it being in a given workout. The Companion app runs off your iPhone/Android device. Think of it like a controller for the game. Key is that it needs to be on the same WiFi network as the device running the game (e.g., computer, iPad, Apple TV, etc.)

Thanks for the help. I'll ask my husband about this. Right now I run Zwift off my laptop. Not sure if it's in the companion app.

My husband did have trouble setting me up since TP doesn't talk to Computrainer. Luckily Zwift still talks to Computrainer (they are obsolete and company closed for those who don't know). My Zwfit workouts do download to TP luckily. A new smart trainer would be ideal, but I have two perfectly good Computrainers that work fine (my husband doesn't use his anymore so I have a back up for when mine stops working).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, so right now you have the "game" only. The Companion app is *another* app that acts as a controller, which runs off the phone.

Once you get the hang of it, it all is pretty simple.

That said -- feel free to DM me if you have any issues getting stuff together.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for Dummies (like me) [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
for 1) do you have a smart trainer? if so, create a custom workout at the wattages/duration you need. if not then you'll have to do it with your legs, but make sure 3s smoothing is on (in the settings menu after you load zwift) It's a lot easier to control the effort.

turn off "display age"

I don't know a way to get rid of followers, but at least they won't see your new activities.

And to piggy-back on this post, there is a way to remove followers. Go to your own profile on Zwift Companion App, click on "Followers" (middle right of the screen). This will pull up the current list of followers. Find the particular follower's name and pull up his/her profile.

There's a "..." button on the top right. Click on it, and it should display an option for removing this particular follower. See below

Last edited by: echappist: Jun 10, 21 13:53
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift for Dummies (like me) [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

turn off "display age"

And to piggy-back on this post, there is a way to remove followers. Go to your own profile on Zwift Companion App, click on "Followers" (middle right of the screen). This will pull up the current list of followers. Find the particular follower's name and pull up his/her profile.

There's a "..." button on the top right. Click on it, and it should display an option for removing this particular follower. See below

Thanks everyone. I downloaded the Zwift app onto my phone to make my activity private and delete followers. You can't do that on your laptop in the main website apparently. What a pain. Like I said, I'm not anti-social. I'm just going through a tough time or maybe just a really tough age and don't need anyone seeing my training. I've always been private about my training even before menopause.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In many cases you'll get follows because those people want to gain follows and they find that a certain % of folks will just follow them back.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:

For point 1, i'm not sure what the purpose of wanting watts per mile is?
Also not ideal, but you can change the power displayed to 3s average in settings. Compared to real world riding its more than manageable. At the end of the day to badly quote Andrew Coggan " training is descriptive not prescriptive", so a watt here or there ain't going to matter.

If you create or import workouts into zwift, it's easy enough to toggle between erg and non erg mode.
Quote Reply